LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/303/299
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
I no longer LIVE to eat, I eat to live!

Food has controlled many years of my life. I no longer give it my permission to do so. I now eat to live, not live to eat. Food is once again fuel for my body, not a REWARD.

Today was another great day. 1,500 cals, 16 carbs, 71% fat/25% pro and 4 % carbs. Going to bed very satisfied.

One day at a time...I no longer worry about what the past has been nor do I worry about what I am eating next week. I am concerned only about what I eat today. I hope ALL of you have had a great day as well!!!

So, what about you? What drives your fire inside to do this?
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/192/160?
WOE: LCHF
Health. Vitality. It's something that's easy to take for granted. You don't realize how precious it is until you don't have it. Not this girl-- I appreciate my health and my life every single day. It feels so good to feel so good!
RyeBaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:27 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Good for you Rob, that's a big accomplishment!

I think a lot of us eat to fill voids/disappointments/whatever in our lives, often unknowingly. The food is a crutch, it makes us happy, makes us forget the void for awhile--it's often the highlight of our day, if only momentarily. This may or may not be true for you Rob (or anyone else reading), but if there is/was some truth to this for you, do you have any insight into how you changed that? What's filling the void now? I couldn't help but notice that you didn't really answer your own question--What drives your fire inside to do this?--which may be what I'm asking I guess, just phrased a bit differenty.

I don't have the answer, have been struggling for years.....The desire to get healthier and maintain good health is a big reason that drives me when I'm on plan, that and the desire to look good and wear great clothes, be more active, travel, etc, but it doesn't last long....the void wants to be assuaged. As to what can really turn this around... no clue. Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade and I am truly happy for you, I've just been feeling down lately. Maybe I should take this elsewhere...

Last edited by heidihoopi; 06-12-2014 at 12:37 AM..
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCandproud
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: may 2014
Congrats robman I feel what you're saying. For me I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 25 and have felt sick for the past few years.
I felt that food controlled me (addicted to sugar) and my diabetes meds made me feel awful.
This is the first time since being diagnosed that I feel empowered. I feel good, look good and have a new outlook on my life. I love this WOE.
LCandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
So, what about you? What drives your fire inside to do this?

I recently turned 42. I have two young children. My weight had gotten out of hand over the last several years. My blood pressure began to climb into the unhealthy range. I could no longer use the excuse of "I may be fat, but I'm healthy". I'm starting over, going back to school and learning a new career. I'll be competing against people almost half my age. I don't need to be handicapped by bad health, and looking like an obese old man as I re-enter the workforce. I want to look and feel better.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CountryLiving
Stats: 200.6/193.8/160
Start Date: 5/28/2014
Finding out my cholesterol is high. I refuse to go on meds. I need to take matters in my own hands and get control over my health and not let food take me down the medication path.
CountryLiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CrazyCatWoman
Quote:
I think a lot of us eat to fill voids/disappointments/whatever in our lives, often unknowingly. The food is a crutch, it makes us happy, makes us forget the void for awhile--it's often the highlight of our day, if only momentarily. This may or may not be true for you Rob (or anyone else reading), but if there is/was some truth to this for you, do you have any insight into how you changed that? What's filling the void now? I couldn't help but notice that you didn't really answer your own question--What drives your fire inside to do this?--which may be what I'm asking I guess, just phrased a bit differenty.
I think you are talking about emotional eating. That is when food becomes your primary coping mechanism. It is a nasty cycle: you feel stressed or bored or whatever, you reach for food to quell or stuff the feeling, the original problem is never addressed and you feel sad/guilty for eating and the cycle starts anew and you feel powerless over your eating and your problems.

Emotional hunger gets mixed up with physical hunger. Here are some differences:

- Emotional hunger comes on suddenly. It hits you in an instant and feels overwhelming and urgent. Physical hunger, on the other hand, comes on more gradually. The urge to eat doesn’t feel as dire or demand instant satisfaction (unless you haven’t eaten for a very long time).

- Emotional hunger craves specific comfort foods. When you’re physically hungry, almost anything sounds good—including healthy stuff like vegetables. But emotional hunger craves fatty foods or sugary snacks that provide an instant rush. You feel like you need cheesecake or pizza, and nothing else will do.

- Emotional hunger often leads to mindless eating. Before you know it, you’ve eaten a whole bag of chips or an entire pint of ice cream without really paying attention or fully enjoying it. When you’re eating in response to physical hunger, you’re typically more aware of what you’re doing.

- Emotional hunger isn’t satisfied once you’re full. You keep wanting more and more, often eating until you’re uncomfortably stuffed. Physical hunger, on the other hand, doesn't need to be stuffed. You feel satisfied when your stomach is full.

- Emotional hunger isn’t located in the stomach. Rather than a growling belly or a pang in your stomach, you feel your hunger as a craving you can’t get out of your head. You’re focused on specific textures, tastes, and smells.

- Emotional hunger often leads to regret, guilt, or shame. When you eat to satisfy physical hunger, you’re unlikely to feel guilty or ashamed because you’re simply giving your body what it needs. If you feel guilty after you eat, it's likely because you know deep down that you’re not eating for nutritional reasons.
(source thehelpguide.org)

Identify your triggers that are making you eat - stress, boredom, habits, social settings. In a diary write down what you ate (or wanted to eat), what happened to upset you, how you felt before you ate, what you felt as you were eating, and how you felt afterward. This way you can see the patterns.

Find another way to deal with your feelings than feeding them. Feel your feelings instead of trying to avoid them with food. It can be uncomfortable but the more you do it, the more mastery you will get over them, good and bad. By dealing with them, their power gets diminished. Stuffing your feelings with food only serves to make things worse over time.

Hope that helps a little
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #8

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I think a lot of us eat to fill voids/disappointments/whatever in our lives, often unknowingly. The food is a crutch, it makes us happy, makes us forget the void for awhile--it's often the highlight of our day, if only momentarily.
I don't even think it needs to be that deep. Eating is, much of the time, just something to do. It's something to do several times a day in our culture. It's fun, it's enjoyable, it's something people look forward to. People who are really into recipes and cooking and experimenting make a hobby out of food. People who aren't into that stuff use eating as a break time, a thing to punctuate the day. So although I don't disagree with all that was said about emotional eating, I think it's not necessary to assume most people overeat for those reasons, any more than average people watch TV, go to movies, spend time on the internet or do their various hobbies to fill a void or compensate for something deep and disappointing about themselves. It's just a thing to do and our culture encourages us to do it often and excessively.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I used to think I controlled my own food choices. NOT. I truly think the carbs controlled me. plain and simple.

get the carbs gone, and the weight comes off, you feel great and you are healthier. for me it is about looking good and feeling great!!

I love food still. No way I can say that food is fuel only. Not this gal. I like my food to be tasty, comforting, enjoyable, make me happy and thrilled....I can do this on fresh, yummy LC food.

I have it good. finding what I love to eat, how to keep it carb controlled and still have a great relationship with food out there in the world.

for me it is all about the carbs. I make the best I can with lc and enjoy it. luckily I am a protein hound, so it works well for me.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Good for you Rob! Keep that attitude! For me I always said, it was because I wanted to be healthy. But evidentially, that was a lie, to myself, because I kept starting and stopping over the last fifteen or so years. But I always kept reading.

I think what it was, is my leptin receptors not working right. It would be like someone literally threw a switch and I'd stop low carbing. Around and around it'd go. Finally, it took A1c's that were WAY too high for me to listen.

Now, if I don't do this, I will have full blown diabetes. Not going to happen. I guess I thought educating myself was all it would take to avoid that bullet. Ha!! Education requires action! It's been a rough last nine months while I figured out what else was wrong and worked on fixing me. I think, finally, I'm there. My weight is slowly creeping down. And you know what? I'll take that. Because this is the last trip down.

So, to make my long story, longer, what does it for me now, is knowing if I don't what will happen. (all that reading!). A couple of really good reads, there are more but, are Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss and Trick & Treat by Barry Groves. They could help change your mind set.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetA
Stats: 185/153/150
Start Date: Restart January 2014
I had treatment for breast cancer the year before last. Cancer recurs more frequently in people who are overweight.

I recently became a first time grandmother. I don't want to be The Fat Grandma.

I just retired after 36 years of teaching. I don't want to be The Fat Retiree, either. I've seen it happen to too many of my friends.
JanetA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I am an emotional eater and could relate to all that was said. It's maddening.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Here're the emotions for me; happy/sad, angry/glad, bored/stimulated, tired/wide awake (tired was valid during those night shifts), in love/mad as hell.....you name it.

That said; I have to agree with Peanutte.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RobMan
Stats: 429/303/299
Start Date: Dec 3, 2008 2nd time around 6/3/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidihoopi View Post
Good for you Rob, that's a big accomplishment!

I don't have the answer, have been struggling for years.....The desire to get healthier and maintain good health is a big reason that drives me when I'm on plan, that and the desire to look good and wear great clothes, be more active, travel, etc, but it doesn't last long....the void wants to be assuaged. As to what can really turn this around... no clue. Sorry, don't mean to rain on your parade and I am truly happy for you, I've just been feeling down lately. Maybe I should take this elsewhere...
Hey all,
Yes, yes and yes to about all the comments here. Saw where heidihoopi did "call" me out that I didn't really post that part for me. Ha! There is that big long reasoning that I could write a book about, but for me, there are some real basics.
1.) My doctor recently suggested I have WLS if I wasn't going to lose enough weight to lesson the damage to my body. I am very competitive person and I will just be danged ( I got in trouble using that other word here one time) if I am going to succumb to surgery when I can do this myself. Please don't get me wrong, for those that have had or are going to have WLS, I totally support your decision. I realize it is a tool for some in this battle, I just don't want to do that. So, I plan to walk in that doctor's office come 12/3/14 ( my next appt) and say, no WLS for this guy!
2.) I started LC in 2008 and lost from about 430 lbs to 285. Lost over 145 lbs. Gained about 35 back over the last couple years while still low carbing but shooting from the hip. If one steak is good then two is better and just this one time isn't going to hurt me too bad. I think I am blessed that I was still on LC, even doing it poorly. On any of the other 1,000 "diets" I have been on in my life I would have gained it all back and more. So, I am ahead of the game. Woohoo!
3.) I have lost enough that I feel it has empowered me. I know I can do this and for the first time in my life after finding LCing I feel that I am in control.
4.) I no longer use food for a reward. It has been all my life. I don't need food to be happy. Now don't get me wrong, I am a food addict and always will be. But with the LCing help of controlling urges, I don't give in.
5.) Lastly and maybe one of the most important when it comes to motivation.. my nearly 23 year old son came up to me a few weeks ago and told me how much he appreciated my losing all the weight I did. Said he liked the idea of having his dad around for how ever many years I added to my life by doing so.
RobMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Way to go, Rob! I agree with you on all points. One of my mantras is "that there will always be another time to eat", meaning I don't have to eat it ALL and I don't have to eat it all TODAY. I'm not missing out on anything important by missing a particular meal or food or treat.

It's a cliche, but it's true that nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #16

Gallery: heidihoopi
WOE: LC My Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMan View Post
Hey all,
Yes, yes and yes to about all the comments here. Saw where heidihoopi did "call" me out that I didn't really post that part for me. Ha! There is that big long reasoning that I could write a book about, but for me, there are some real basics.
1.) My doctor recently suggested I have WLS if I wasn't going to lose enough weight to lesson the damage to my body. I am very competitive person and I will just be danged ( I got in trouble using that other word here one time) if I am going to succumb to surgery when I can do this myself. Please don't get me wrong, for those that have had or are going to have WLS, I totally support your decision. I realize it is a tool for some in this battle, I just don't want to do that. So, I plan to walk in that doctor's office come 12/3/14 ( my next appt) and say, no WLS for this guy!
2.) I started LC in 2008 and lost from about 430 lbs to 285. Lost over 145 lbs. Gained about 35 back over the last couple years while still low carbing but shooting from the hip. If one steak is good then two is better and just this one time isn't going to hurt me too bad. I think I am blessed that I was still on LC, even doing it poorly. On any of the other 1,000 "diets" I have been on in my life I would have gained it all back and more. So, I am ahead of the game. Woohoo!
3.) I have lost enough that I feel it has empowered me. I know I can do this and for the first time in my life after finding LCing I feel that I am in control.
4.) I no longer use food for a reward. It has been all my life. I don't need food to be happy. Now don't get me wrong, I am a food addict and always will be. But with the LCing help of controlling urges, I don't give in.
5.) Lastly and maybe one of the most important when it comes to motivation.. my nearly 23 year old son came up to me a few weeks ago and told me how much he appreciated my losing all the weight I did. Said he liked the idea of having his dad around for how ever many years I added to my life by doing so.
thanks for sharing all that Rob, I teared up on number 5. *sniff*
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote