LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
Fed Up- Have you seen it?

I really want to see this film. It's a documentary about Sugar and its role in obesity.
I have only seen the trailer here, never in a movie theater. But it's not even playing anywhere remotely close to me!
Has anyone seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71j8TPwkTQE
whippetlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Saw it this weekend. It was sort of preaching to the converted as far as my husband and me, and there were only 2 other couples in the entire theater. But it was very well done, and they got their message across quite well. The best part was showing these kids who were very obese, exercising very hard and NOT losing any weight. They ate mostly packaged junk at home, and even with counting calories they weren't losing.

At the very end, one of the kids' families does a month long real food experiment. They all lose weight and love the food, so they extend it 3 months. But the epilogue states that they gave it up after that, and the boy gained all the weight back. (
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
My DD and I saw it. We were the only people in the theater too. It would have been better to release this when the schools could make this a field trip. I thought it was very well done. A lot if good info. They tried to keep it simple and only had the hour and a half so I think they did a great job. I just wish more kids could see it.

The one girl, just about broke your heart. She worked out and was very active and was still gaining, and of course eating low fat. Makes me want to start a low carb camp for kids!!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Yes, I saw it. It's excellent. And sad, very sad. I hope this documentary will wake up some people and get them to stop marketing candy and junk to kids everywhere.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:43 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I think what was missing is that they identified the problem very well, but not the cure. Candy, cereals, cookies, and other junk are NOT going to go away. But programs that educate FAMILIES on real food--how to buy it in their own neighborhoods, how to prepare it affordably and efficiently, how to incorporate it into their diets, and support for the long term can make a difference. They didn't seem to think the program the boy's family used was any big deal, but suppose they had all been supported over the long term? The girl's mom talked about how she was trying to help her daughter lose weight, but the foods she offered were TERRIBLE. And those were a supposed improvement for the girl.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I really need to see this. Is there another way because I don't think it'll ever be near me?
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
It should be aired on EVERY channel repeatedly. Put it where people will see it. I really hope it gets to the mainstream. If it is only on like the one about killing the electric car the message will be lost.
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
I follow Fed Up on Facebook. They posted today that it's now available for pre-order in the iTunes store. It's for purchase only, but I'm hoping that they make it available to rent, as well.
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoWarrior
Stats: SW - 300 | CW - 194
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
I follow Fed Up on Facebook. They posted today that it's now available for pre-order in the iTunes store. It's for purchase only, but I'm hoping that they make it available to rent, as well.
Thanks for that info, been wanting to watch this since it came out! (only playing in select theaters) I don't deal with "i-stuff", so hopefully it'll also come out in a way that the rest of us can watch it as well!
KetoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:07 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
I think you are right that it will be preaching to the Choir a bit but still seems like a interesting watch.
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #11
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KetoWarrior View Post
Thanks for that info, been wanting to watch this since it came out! (only playing in select theaters) I don't deal with "i-stuff", so hopefully it'll also come out in a way that the rest of us can watch it as well!
I just wanted to say I love your avatar.

And your stats, wow! Congratulations!
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Could they have done more, sure. But in the time allotted for a movie, I think they did a great job. I was under the impression they did help the family go without processed foods. At least gave them an understanding of it.
True, processed foods aren't going away, but they were reading labels and looking for sugar. And, I think this was a way to show just how the majority of the public thinks.

Like the Mom trying to help her daughter by buying low fat crap. And what the kids thought and felt. That poor girl wasn't eating any different than the other girls at school and was still gaining. The one boy who really got, he knew he was killing himself, but didn't know what to do about it. Neither did his Mom with the jumbo package of Special K chips.

I am impressed they are even trying to get the message at. We have to start somewhere. And with all the Doctors and writers on the film, I would hope they didn't just leave these people hanging and did do more educating, off screen.
snowangel9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am impressed they are even trying to get the message at. We have to start somewhere. And with all the Doctors and writers on the film, I would hope they didn't just leave these people hanging and did do more educating, off screen.
Actually, on the website for Fed Up the movie they have the "Fed Up Challenge" which challenges people to give up sugar for a whole 10 days and eat a real food diet. BUT, I saw the recommended diet somewhere (can't put my finger on it at the moment I think on Couric's own website) and they were still suggesting "healthy whole grains" still. Sigh . . .
Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Thanks for sharing this!! I will see if I can get my family out to watch it. It's playing nearby so it'll be worth a visit to watch it. My dd's would really benefit from watching it.
julieboolie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCandproud
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: may 2014
I recently saw this on Netflix. It's a fantastic documentary. The part where the kids were tasting honeydew melon for the first time broke my heart.
LCandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KetoWarrior
Stats: SW - 300 | CW - 194
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I just wanted to say I love your avatar.

And your stats, wow! Congratulations!
Thank you! If it isn't apparent (because of small size of picture) those are 25 pound bags of sugar for each 25 pounds I had lost! That means there's a 4th one coming up with me holding 100 pounds of sugar over my head REAL soon!
(it's a symbolic thing, saying I've lost THIS much weight by NOT eating sugar, so here's me holding that much sugar up over my head!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCandproud View Post
I recently saw this on Netflix. It's a fantastic documentary. The part where the kids were tasting honeydew melon for the first time broke my heart.
This movie is streaming on Netflix now?? I just moved and don't have my "smart device" hooked up yet to check, but if it is, I'll have to get to that sometime soon so I can watch it!
KetoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCandproud
WOE: ketogenic
Start Date: may 2014
Keto warrior: love the pic and name, yes I saw it on Netflix about two weeks ago should still be available.
LCandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I don't find it on Netflix at all. It's just newly released in the theaters, so it would be highly unusual to have already released it on Netflix. I wonder if they did so accidentally and took it off again--but that may mean it will be available on Netflix in the future.

There's another full length documentary on YouTube which is called "Fed Up" but it's not the same as the new release.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I don't find it on Netflix at all. It's just newly released in the theaters, so it would be highly unusual to have already released it on Netflix. I wonder if they did so accidentally and took it off again--but that may mean it will be available on Netflix in the future.

There's another full length documentary on YouTube which is called "Fed Up" but it's not the same as the new release.
I could not find it either, searched and searched. I hope they put it on in the coming year, I think that's my only shot at seeing it.
whippetlady is offline   Reply With Quote