Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
How do you get back on track

Hi all!

I was cruising along, doing well with low carb once again. I was in ketosis and free from cravings and then while dh and I were getting dinner ready, I dropped a bowl and it shattered.... all over the kitchen including into our food. We had to throw the food out and ended up ordering a pizza (I knew it was a dangerous move for me but agreed because it was the easiest alternative at the time). That was Friday and I am still struggling to get back in the lc groove again. I hate the out of control feeling I have with carbs when not in ketosis. I'm a total addict, especially when it comes to sugar. I haven't given into the sugar binges yet at least.

I'm determined to get back on track today. I've recommitted to lc more times than I can count and usually having a meal plan and getting myself in the kitchen to prepare some of my fav lc foods to give me quick access to good food really helps get my head in the game.

So I was wondering if you would share what works for you to help you get back to lc after a carbicide?
muncheechee is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ejw55
Stats: 167/144.6/115
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 2012
no worries...pull up those boot straps and start back over. Be prepared for the next time...keep some canned tuna or chicken in your pantry and make chicken or tuna salad for youself...they can eat the pizza...we have movie night every sat and that is what I do.
ejw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I probably won't be any help to you on this. I'm lucky in the sense that I have no problem getting back into low carb after an indulgence. I just pick right back up where I left off and go with it. I really don't get carb cravings.

My suggestion would be sort of what you already said. Make yourself some of your favorite low carb meals, so that you don't see low carb as an indulgence and not a deprivation.

I also get pizza fairly often. Something you can do if you find yourself in that situation again is to just eat the toppings. I love pizza toppings.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sounds like stress triggered that slip.
That's what usually gets me.
I can't offer much advice beyond previous posters, but please don't be too hard on yourself. You were probably frazzled and hungry.

Sending you strength for the next time things go wrong, as they tend to do.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I think you should look at it for what you learned. You know now that the carby pizza will make you crave more carbs. So, no pizza. Just the top is a good option, as has been mentioned. Stuff happens. Just know that it's the pizza crust talking, ignore that little demon!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Climb back up on that horse and RIDE! (like the wind...)
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MikeA
Stats: 214/165/160
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis(started on 6/2/2014)
Start Date: 05/11/2014
Like the Nike slogan....."Just Do It"

Sorry if I sound blunt, but you know what you have to do and the longer you wait to hop back on board, the more damages you'll have to recoup. You've done this before so you know what's in store. Good Luck!!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
Someone has a great tag line something like ...I never regretted something I didn't eat. There is a next time you'll do better for now get back on plan
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Like the Nike slogan....."Just Do It"

Sorry if I sound blunt, but you know what you have to do and the longer you wait to hop back on board, the more damages you'll have to recoup. You've done this before so you know what's in store. Good Luck!!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
SOmetimes I really struggle getting back on after a slip. That helps me for next time, because I can really suffer sometimes for days of struggling and guilt.

Some people say Moderation is Key!!

um, yeah, NOPE - not for me.

Abstinence is key for me. But it took a while to know myself.
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Kyla, we are all works in progress Just keep moving forward and making progress.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:02 AM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
One little mental game I play is this:

"Blank" ( insert devil food here, pizza, croissants, pastry, birthday cake, twizzlers ) has been around for many many years. As far as I know, there is no danger of it disappearing off the face of the earth. When I lose weight and get my health under control, I will be able to taste it again. Just not make it a primary source of food.
But I believe in my heart that when I do lose this gut/ flubby tummy/ wide end/ etc, I will not want to eat it.
And most importantly, no friend or loved one would ever shun me because I decided not to try their delicious dish. If they love me, they understand that one taste for me leads to falling off that LC wagon. And my gosh that HURTS.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:18 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
We're LOSERS not Quitters -- we make mistakes, LIVE, LEARN, and move on. But I liked the suggestion of having your LC foods handy for those emergencies -- they are life and "guilt" savers!!

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:00 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I haven't had pizza crust in over a year

adapt. you must. scrap off the pizza toppings. never eat the crust. it is a guaranteed slide right back into high carb land for most.

I am now keeping hot wings in the fridge. grab and munch.
I get a flank steak or skirt steak. Cut into 3 portions. Keep in fridge all the time also. Throw a portion on the grill and boom...I am one happy camper

Best way is to go 100% lc and knuckle thru a few days til ya get into the groove again.

I had months of flip flopping around. lc and then higher carb days. got no where. waste of time. if I controlled the carbs as I know I must, then I would be so much further ahead. IT IS ALL ABOUT THE CARBS!

best of luck and hang in there!
Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Just sending you my wishes for your successful return to low carb. It is hard in the initial stages but so worth the effort and determination it takes. You can do it and we are all here to support you.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:48 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
We're LOSERS not Quitters -- we make mistakes, LIVE, LEARN, and move on. But I liked the suggestion of having your LC foods handy for those emergencies -- they are life and "guilt" savers!!

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!
Thread Jack:

WOW - Your stats are AWESOME! Congrats to YOU!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:13 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippetlady View Post
One little mental game I play is this:

"Blank" ( insert devil food here, pizza, croissants, pastry, birthday cake, twizzlers ) has been around for many many years. As far as I know, there is no danger of it disappearing off the face of the earth. When I lose weight and get my health under control, I will be able to taste it again. Just not make it a primary source of food.
But I believe in my heart that when I do lose this gut/ flubby tummy/ wide end/ etc, I will not want to eat it.
And most importantly, no friend or loved one would ever shun me because I decided not to try their delicious dish. If they love me, they understand that one taste for me leads to falling off that LC wagon. And my gosh that HURTS.
Not to be draconian, but be careful not to make the taste of food in the future some sort of reward. I find myself doing the same thing, but when I think of food or drink rewards, I try to refocus on other rewards. It happens, though, but just pointing this out.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Not to be draconian, but be careful not to make the taste of food in the future some sort of reward. I find myself doing the same thing, but when I think of food or drink rewards, I try to refocus on other rewards. It happens, though, but just pointing this out.
I am one of those who does make food a reward. I agree that it is often a slippery slope and can cause a total derailment. You shouldn't trick yourself into thinking, "oh, I can do just a bit as a reward," if you can't. When my rewards are planned they are worth it. The idea that I can be flexible when I determine the need is what was gotten me very close to goal.

As for the OP, don't think about "when" to get back on plan, or "how," just get back on plan! Immediately and with no self-blame. One night of pizza will not derail you, but days or weeks of feeling guilty and ruminating (while indulging in more off-plan foods!) can and will derail you! So back you go. You can do this.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Mini,
so right about the mind games we play with ourselves. And about getting right back on plan, one slip dosen't mean total derailment if you fall down you get right back up right....

Next time your emergency food can be scrambled eggs with the pizza topping let the family have the crust
Old 06-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 204/??/130
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Unfortunately I am also prone to seeing food as "reward". Trying to break that habit, but struggling at the moment with a far greater problem. Thanks to the prescription medication antabuse, I have so far successfully quit drinking for the last 23 days and if I continue to take it I will not be able to drink at all. Oh how I wish that we could just abstain from eating, or that there would be a prescription drug that would make it possible not to be tempted to eat food that are not good for us. Unfortunately that's not likely to ever happen, so for right now I've given myself permission to substitute some of the foods I crave for the alcohol I am no longer drinking. I've set myself a set time limit in which to do this, and then I will get back to low carbing. When I drink is when I tend to binge on high carb foods, anyway, so hopefully I will get back to eating correctly and the fact that I am also no longer ingesting over 3000 calories a day in alcohol will help also.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
Next time your emergency food can be scrambled eggs with the pizza topping let the family have the crust
Right. I've learned that I can low carb in almost any situation, including when there is only seemingly high carb foods available. Toppings of pizza, the insides of sandwiches, etc. It's not my first choice, but better than eating off plan and then feeling awful.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
Start Date: 8/18/14
You've already gotten great advice, and Ocean said what I was going to say, but make your most favorite LC foods for the next few days. Indulge. Enjoy. And hopefully you'll be back in the grove by next weekend.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm back on the lc wagon today.

Oh, and it was a barbeque sauce pizza so just eating the toppings still would have been really high carb. By that time I had already decided I would enjoy it and get right back to lc... that's easier said than done for me obviously but I still consider it a huge success that I didn't dive head first into a pile of doughnuts and chocolate. I really appreciate the support
muncheechee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Bravo - most important, you're back on track.

I truly believe that a single meal or single day can be left behind. Most important is what you have planned for your next meal!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNCuffs View Post
Thread Jack:

WOW - Your stats are AWESOME! Congrats to YOU!
Thanks Curls -- it's been quite the journey -- only one cheat between 5 July and today. Perseverance and determination plus eating religiously to plan does pay off -- now I'm in maintenance -- 26.5 days without gain nor loss!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Jo - have you found the maintenance to be more challenging or just same old stuff?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/130/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
What's been working for me this time around is thinking that I eat low carb. There is no off plan or on plan. I eat low carb. I've had a few times when what I ate wasn't the best choice, but in my mind, I still eat low carb. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't let one slip up drive me into thinking that now I can eat "off plan" because I've already screwed up. Make the determination that this is not a get slim quick plan but that it's your new WOE, and maybe that will help. Good luck and keep us informed!
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Jo - have you found the maintenance to be more challenging or just same old stuff?
Just the same old stuff since I started counting kcals as well as carbs (800 kcals and 5-6 carbs a day) for 6 months and then I started upping them in January where I am now at <1400 kcals and 10-12 carbs a day. I knew/know that I am carb sensitive, so I expected the low carbs for maintenance.

I what I eat, its very simple, takes NO time to prep and I don't have to think about food... I only eat once a day, don't know if I mentioned that...
Old 06-10-2014, 04:39 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

I think what's also helped me is that I don't view food the same way at all. I don't dream or think about that slice of pie I can now eat since I lost all the weight (I did before when I had lost weight and thought I was a "carb eater".) That piece of pie or any toxic, insidious, poisonous, crappy killer carb-y food does not cross my mind -- I'm not saying I don't think about food, cause I to eat... but I'm usually thinking of that nice salad and protein I am going to have for dinner that night. It's such a different mindset this time around... it's hard to explain!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Jo - I appreciate the insight. You're an incredible success story and the common theme seems to be that maintenance can be as difficult or more difficult than losing.

1400 cal and 10-12 carbs is pretty close to what I'm doing in nutritional ketosis (< 18 grams) and I'm striving to look at this as my final campaign. I'm hoping that hitting goal will be anticlimactic and my meals are the exact same the next day and each day after.