Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Quest bars....best flavor? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/832804-quest-bars-best-flavor.html)

TheBigKahuna 06-05-2014 05:19 AM

Quest bars....best flavor?
 
I've never seen Quest bars in local stores, until yesterday. We've bought the Atkins bars, as my wife prefers those for breakfast, and late afternoon snacks. I occasionally eat one for breakfast, but I've grown to prefer the Met-Rx Protein bars instead. Not only are they much larger, they taste better! :D

I've heard a lot about Quest bars on this site. But never wanted to order an entire box. I found some yesterday, and bought a handful of different flavors to try. So far, I've only had one, I think it was chocolate/peanut butter....it looked delicious in the picture on the wrapper. When I opened the wrapper, I found a solid lump of brown taffy. Reminded me of Power Bars I used to eat while riding my bicycle. Same tough, chewy texture, a bit gritty, very bland, and not at all appealing.

Tell me the other flavors are much better? That was NOT worth $3!

Dottie 06-05-2014 05:59 AM

IMO: The chocolate based ones are a little better warmed up.
The only one I sort of liked was the cinnamon roll one, warmed 20 seconds in the microwave.
I didn't care for any of the other flavors.

Wigglesmom 06-05-2014 06:24 AM

I didn't care for the chocolate peanut butter bar either. My all time favorite is the white chocolate raspberry. The cookies and cream bar is good too if you're craving Oreos.

TheBigKahuna 06-05-2014 06:35 AM

I have a white chocolate raspberry waiting. I did not grab the cinnamon roll, but should have. Although unless these next few are quite a bit better than the 1st one, it won't matter. This is SO much better, bigger, and cheaper!

http://www.nutritionexpress.com/imag...0.GIF?E5VE1127

shirlc 06-05-2014 06:40 AM

It seems like people either love Quest Bars or hate them! I love them...favorites are almond almond and white chocolate raspberry.

doxielvr 06-05-2014 06:48 AM

I did not like the peanut butter, chocolate peanut butter or the vanilla almond.
The lemon was a little lemon pledge like - and I am a lemon lover.
I like the cookies and cream, white chocolate raspberry, cinnamon roll, berry medly
chocolate chip is my favorite.

ridextreme 06-05-2014 07:47 AM

aren't the metrx bars like 50g carbs? do they have a low carb version?

I love the atkins bars but I try not to buy them anymore because I can eat them two at a time, especially at night. My favorite atkins bars are the peanut butter crunch breakfast bar and the triple chocolate bar.

The atkins candies are also good. they look and tast exactly like m&m's. I also like the endulge coconut bars, they taste just like mounds bars. I think they actually taste better. Also the peanut butter cups taste similar to reeces peanut butter cups.

TheBigKahuna 06-05-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridextreme (Post 16933327)
aren't the metrx bars like 50g carbs? do they have a low carb version?

Some of them say "carb friendly". The peanut butter, my favorite has 5g net. Most of it is sugar alcohol. I've tried 3 different flavors of the Met-Rx bar, and the creamy peanut butter is the only one I like.

http://images.vitaminimages.com/cdn/...F050240-AE.pdf

OK, tried the white chocolate raspberry, and must say, it was 10x better than the peanut butter chocolate I had yesterday.

natural_born_texan 06-05-2014 08:29 AM

I agree that people tend to really like them or they don't. I have liked ALL of the Quest bar flavors that I've tried, but my absolute favorite is the Double Chocolate Chunk.

ridextreme 06-05-2014 08:54 AM

I have always been thinking about having only 2 or 3 bars for food such as one for "breakfast", one for "lunch" and one for "dinner". Or maybe just lunch and dinner.

My total caloric intake would be about 450 -500... has anyone ever tried anything similar to this?

(i have already lost almost 50 pounds eating 3 scrambled eggs with cheese ham and sausage for breakfast and a few rolled up lunch meats over a slice or swiss and a few almonds for dinner. Sometimes I skip breakfast and treat myself to a gyro salad or a philly cheesesteak in a platter for lunch).

MargD 06-05-2014 09:09 AM

I'm a Quest fan.

LOVE: Mixed Berry, Peanut Butter Supreme, Vanilla Almond
Just Ok: Cookie Dough, Oreo

createart 06-05-2014 09:45 AM

I like: Cookies and Cream, White Chocolate Raspberry
Not so much: Cookie Dough
Never Again: Lemon Pledge Pie

I like to use the entire bar as a quick on-the-go meal replacement, and if I'm just wanting something sweet I'll just bite a small piece off.

For me these are great because: I'm not 100% in love with the flavor so it's easy to practice self control, and they don't cause me any craving annoyances. They are just good enough that it's not like eating a bar of sawdust or soydust :p and the ingredients works well with me.

Dottie 06-05-2014 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by createart (Post 16933476)
Never Again: Lemon Pledge Pie

:hyst:
Perfect description.

createart 06-05-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridextreme (Post 16933416)
I have always been thinking about having only 2 or 3 bars for food such as one for "breakfast", one for "lunch" and one for "dinner". Or maybe just lunch and dinner.

My total caloric intake would be about 450 -500... has anyone ever tried anything similar to this?

(i have already lost almost 50 pounds eating 3 scrambled eggs with cheese ham and sausage for breakfast and a few rolled up lunch meats over a slice or swiss and a few almonds for dinner. Sometimes I skip breakfast and treat myself to a gyro salad or a philly cheesesteak in a platter for lunch).

I think I've seen this done for those who use the JUDDD approach, would be perfect for the DD.

ridextreme 06-05-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by createart (Post 16933479)
I think I've seen this done for those who use the JUDDD approach, would be perfect for the DD.

but what if ED was a DD woudln't that be better than having any UD's except maybe Sat or Sun?

shirlc 06-05-2014 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridextreme (Post 16933492)
but what if ED was a DD woudln't that be better than having any UD's except maybe Sat or Sun?

JUDDD stands for Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet...it's about intermittent fasting; that is, fasting or Down Days every other day and normal or Up Days the other days. There's lots of info on it in the JUDDD thread.

If I ate those bars instead of meals three times a day, I know I'd feel awful. Plus I'd get sick of them. Plus I'd have cravings for other sweet things.

snowangel9 06-05-2014 10:49 AM

I'm a Quest bar fan too. I like that I know what the ingredients are. Our favorites are, white chocolate raspberry, strawberry cream and chocolate chip cookie dough. The double chunk chocolate are okay too. I haven't liked any of the other flavors.

GNC sells them buy one get on half off or something like that. :D

snowangel9 06-05-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridextreme (Post 16933492)
but what if ED was a DD woudln't that be better than having any UD's except maybe Sat or Sun?

No. Eating that few calories every day will slow your metabolism way down. Not a good thing. It would make it even more difficult to lose weight.

TheBigKahuna 06-05-2014 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16933564)

GNC sells them buy one get on half off or something like that. :D


Buy 3 get one free, at least yesterday! :cool:

They had a display set up near the entrance, so as I walked by, I saw them. I had read a lot about them on here, but never been able to find them ins stores. Admittedly, I never go into GNC.

I'll be packing some type of protein bar tonight. I have to attend a recital, that will likely be 3-4 hours long :sad:! It will have an intermission, and they will sell snacks....none of which I can have. So I'll stick a bar in my pocket before I go in! Probably drink something heavy with caffeine before it starts, to have any chance of staying awake!

mimivac 06-05-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna (Post 16933630)

I'll be packing some type of protein bar tonight. I have to attend a recital, that will likely be 3-4 hours long :sad:! It will have an intermission, and they will sell snacks....none of which I can have. So I'll stick a bar in my pocket before I go in! Probably drink something heavy with caffeine before it starts, to have any chance of staying awake!

You know, concessions at music and theatre events are one of the few places where it can be almost impossible to get something low carb. Sometimes they have peanuts, which I eat, but it's usually just candy and chips. Good thing you can usually solve the problem by eating before or after.

TheBigKahuna 06-05-2014 12:26 PM

Last year, they had candy (M&Ms, Snickers), popcorn, and bagged chips. I don't recall seeing anything else except water and sodas.

I know I'll be hungry, if I can stay awake!

vastamper 06-05-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna (Post 16933630)
Buy 3 get one free, at least yesterday! :cool:

They had a display set up near the entrance, so as I walked by, I saw them. I had read a lot about them on here, but never been able to find them ins stores. Admittedly, I never go into GNC.

I'll be packing some type of protein bar tonight. I have to attend a recital, that will likely be 3-4 hours long :sad:! It will have an intermission, and they will sell snacks....none of which I can have. So I'll stick a bar in my pocket before I go in! Probably drink something heavy with caffeine before it starts, to have any chance of staying awake!

I have read about them and got the Buy 3 Get One Free deal too. No matter how they taste they will be better than eating the food at the dance recital!!! I haven't tried mine yet. Carried one with me today "just in case" but made it home for lunch. Good luck tonight.

Stacy O 06-05-2014 12:55 PM

Peanut Butter Supreme & Vanilla Almond Quest Bars are my favorite.

createart 06-05-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16933569)
No. Eating that few calories every day will slow your metabolism way down. Not a good thing. It would make it even more difficult to lose weight.

:goodpost: This. Eating like this for multiple days in a row is not a good idea.

ridextreme 06-06-2014 05:29 AM

I tried two quest bars last night. Vanilla Almond and Peanut Butter and Jelly...

They were quite good, very different from Atkins Bars which I still prefer, but these were very good.

I ate about a quarter of each, then put them in the fridge in a baggie (should have just put them in the cabinet) and when I wanted to take a bite of the peanut butter and jelly one again later, it was hard. So I put it in the microwave for a few seconds....

This thing tasted just like a fresh baked muffin!!! It was amazing. If anyone has a peanut butter and jelly quest bar, try to put it in the microwave for a few seconds (on a plate, not a paper towel or it will stick) and see how you like it. I couldn't believe how good it was warmed up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16933569)
No. Eating that few calories every day will slow your metabolism way down. Not a good thing. It would make it even more difficult to lose weight.

what about eating all of my calories once a day, every day (mini-fasts). Would this also slow down metabolism if I ate 800-900 calories at once? thx

TheBigKahuna 06-06-2014 08:00 AM

Tried the peanut butter supreme, pretty tasty. The white chocolate raspberry is still the best so far!

But I think the price will keep me from buying them, so will too, having to go to GNC.

Unless, I order a box online.....actually, 12 bars for $25 is still cost prohibitive in my opinion.

iluvbacon 06-06-2014 08:21 AM

The Coconut Cashew is my favorite! Tastes a lot like a Bit O Honey from my youth. Delicious with no after taste.:yummy:

ridextreme 06-06-2014 08:21 AM

I agree about the prices of quest bars. The Atkins bars are just as good if not better and they can be bought at walmart for about 6 dollars a box of 5 or 6. the Advantage meal bars are a couple dollars more.

TheBigKahuna 06-06-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridextreme (Post 16934580)
I agree about the prices of quest bars. The Atkins bars are just as good if not better and they can be bought at walmart for about 6 dollars a box of 5 or 6. the Advantage meal bars are a couple dollars more.

We've found a place to get Atkins bars even cheaper than Walmart. Big Lots. But not all Big Lots stores have them. Only one or two of the several Big Lots stores around here even have them in stock. But when they do, they are usually $1 a box less than Walmart. Kroger and other stores, usually have Atkins bars at about $10 a box, which is WAY too much.

I still prefer the Met-Rx bars for size/cost/taste.

Dottie 06-06-2014 08:47 AM

The big sell point for Quest is their "clean" ingredients versus most other bars that have a lot of chemical tinkering.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 PM.