LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lo-carbin-in-Pgh
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmich View Post
Maybe calories are too low? Any thoughts on that?

Would still love to start a new support/challenge thread for all of us.

I started Monday.
Tues - down .2
Wed - down 2.5
Thur - down .2

It's going to take some time.
I'm wondering about the calories. The app I'm using put me at 1200 a day. With exercise I get a few hundred more. Actually, my 6 hours of housecleaning today should have burned 1,000 calories according to the app, but I don't think that's possible so I lowered it to 4 hrs so I don't eat too much. I usually end up having about 300 left in the evening for a snack. I'm never hungry either. I feel like more calories would be too much lol.

I'm having labs done on Monday to see what might be off. I don't know what all my dr will test for, but he's really thorough. He'll test everything possible. This just doesn't make sense. He even raised my T3 (thyroid energy hormone) last fall to help me lose weight

I agree with a thread for us. The Golden Years is not right, we aren't there yet! A thread for us 40-somethings would be cool. We're pre-menopausal so we have unique challenges.
Reached goal 1/05 - 130 lbs
Starting again 5/31/14 - 152 lbs
Today I'm 144
lo-carbin-in-Pgh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Why don't you go ahead and start the support thread?
(The golden years thread didn't appeal to me.)
This one appears to have some life, so maybe something like NOT TOO OLD TO LOSE WEIGHT?
Maybe that's the name we should go with. It seems to be all of our issue
Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/160/130ish
Start Date: Feb/2014
I seem to lose 2# gain 2# stay the same and then Lose 5#. I have not been at this long this time so I am not sure if this is my norm exactly. Hang in there
maximumdensity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #64
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
He even raised my T3 (thyroid energy hormone) last fall to help me lose weight
I hope your actual T3 level was low! Thyroid meds aren't meant to be used to help lose weight. And I don't think they really do. I've been on both generic Cytomel and also levothyroxine for years, but what helped me lose and keep off my weight has just been plain old portion control and eating a lot less than I thought I should be able to when I was younger and gaining. I don't think 1200 calories is at all unreasonable for a woman your (and my) age for weight loss. You can get a lot of satisfying bang for your calorie buck on whole-foods, simple low carb without all the extra sauces and snacks and without tons of dairy-heavy foods.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
I hope your actual T3 level was low! Thyroid meds aren't meant to be used to help lose weight.
It was. In fact my Reverse T3 was high because my body wasn't converting the T4 in Synthroid to T3, making my symptoms even worse (I'm one of those people). I've been on a compounded T4/T3 for a few years now and feel much better. My doctor tweaks each as the labs show I need it. He's the most innovative doctor I've known. He tests every component of thyroid, not just T4 and TSH, and he takes into consideration symptoms. My mom and sister have Hashimoto's so that's something to keep and eye out for with me.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:17 AM   #66
Senior LCF Member

And if my T3 was too high, I'd become hyperthyroid and start dropping weight lol. That's not happening to me at all. Slightly above what's needed (it was literally only increased by like 8 mcg) should start to stimulate increased energy and weight loss, but certainly not to the degree of someone who is hyperthyroid
Old 06-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #67
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
No, T3 does not 'stimulate' weight loss. When we have the right hormones (I have Hashi's), it just levels the playing field. It helps our metabolism stay at approximately what it would be if our thyroid was working properly.

It's sad, but when my T3 is too low, I can gain weight quickly, but when it's fine, it doesn't help me lose. It's a misconception that supplemental thyroid hormones will help people lose weight.

In fact, doctors are supposed to be very careful when prescribing T3 because too much can lead to cardiac problems--and osteoporosis. There was a case a few years ago where a young woman (in her late 20s) took additional T3 (beyond what was prescribed) because she imagined it would help her lose weight--and all she did was give herself a heart attack.

I would also beware of trying to estimate caloric intake from online calculators. They are generalized for a large population, but so many factors influence what any individual needs. I know that if I ate according to the calculators, I'd be rapidly gaining.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #68

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I've been on a compounded T4/T3 for a few years now and feel much better. My doctor tweaks each as the labs show I need it. He's the most innovative doctor I've known. He tests every component of thyroid, not just T4 and TSH, and he takes into consideration symptoms. My mom and sister have Hashimoto's so that's something to keep and eye out for with me.
I'm glad you are getting good health care for your thyroid. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound alarmist--it sounds like you have a very attentive doctor.
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #69
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think thyroid issues can be as complicated as weight loss. It is a big deal in the machinery known as 'metabolism' and it is not static.

I am hypothyroid and began treatment a little over a year ago. That in combination with woe, I have been able to loose the 12 or so lbs. that I had regained and a few more. treatment for my thyroid appears to have had a positive effect in that situation. BUT more medicine does not mean more weight loss. It is all about getting function or the right amount of hormone in order to have things work better.

Eating 'low calorie' which I would define as below 1200 per day has had a lasting effect on my metabolism and not in a good way. I am reiterating this because I think it is a classic mistake many of us make.

Ketosis makes it really easy to go without food and the brain washing of calories in/calories out has to be constantly be fought. In the end, most people will lose weight if they under-eat enough for long enough but (and this is a big but - pardon the pun), it is not sustainable for most. So if you choose to eat 800 calories of food per day and can lose weight, be prepared to eat essentially the same for the duration.

Or eat the proper foods in the proper amounts and be patient. This is my opinion and I think there is a lot of science to back it up. References are abundant in all the low carb books. And even Dr. Eades has said that he must say calories are important but in the same moment admitted he does so because he wants to be taken seriously by the health professionals community and saying otherwise might make him out to be wacky. He knows the truth but is covering his butt.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
WOE: WW
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
clackley thanks for the infor. I've been on thyroid meds for about 8mos. 3 different doses. I still feel the same, no more energy etc. Weight still about the same, but I am always tempted to go low calorie.

Something to think about.
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #71
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It really is a important issue. It is also very difficult to reverse the conventional thinking which tends to be if you are overweight you must eat too much and move too little. Most of us can accept that this is untrue but to take it to the next level is more difficult. That is if you eat too little (low carb or not), you risk down-regulating your metabolism and sometimes that cannot be reversed or will take a long time and with proper nutrition.

So for me it comes down to the question of what I think is the best long term plan for reaching my goals. I do suspect that under-eating will continue to encourage regaining of lost lbs........ That does seem to be the case for most people who have lost weight.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Peanutte - No need to apologize, but thank you I was just worried that I gave the impression that I would try to use medications improperly.

Leo41 - I'm interested in your statement that online calculators are not accurate for figuring our caloric needs. How do you figure yours? Do you count calories at all? This is new for me because in the past I just knew I could go up to 35 carbs a day to remain in ketosis and didn't worry about calories at all, and it worked beautifully. It's a whole new ball game for me now, but I know that this is the only right way to eat for me.

Everyone - your support and encouragement are exactly what I came back to these boards for!!!! Many thanks!
Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #73
Senior LCF member

I count calories religiously! It's how I manage my weight. I eat very low carb for health, but I could not have lost or maintained my loss without watching calories.

How do I know my caloric level? By trial and error in the beginning, and now simply via the scale. ( I weigh weekly, and if I'm not gaining or losing, I'm eating at the right level for maintenance.)

When I began my weight loss, I assumed that I would need to be at about 1200 cal to lose. I ate at that level for 2 weeks--and lost 2 lbs. That's a loss of about a pound a week, and I continued to eat at that level. When I went higher--as I was once advised by a nutritionist--I didn't lose, and at anything above 1500 cal, I gained. So I stayed at 1200.

After I lost about 80 lbs, I stopped losing. I was concerned (and confused) until I realized that my 'smaller' body simply needed less food. I dropped calories lower and began to lose again.

Throughout my weight loss, I lost only a pound a week, so although I was eating at a very low caloric level, I knew I wasn't eating too little because I was losing at a reasonable rate.

I'm hypothyroid and am checked every 4 months. Throughout my weight loss, I discussed it all with my endo, and he agreed that I seemed to be eating at the right level for weight loss. He told me that this differs among his patients.

We're all unique in terms of what works for us. In addition to my age and slow thyroid, my endo believes that I have a 'genetically slow metabolism.' So my caloric needs are unique to me.

I think it's fine to begin with a calculator, but I've seen so many women post that they are NOT losing although they are eating to the calculator level. IMO, in that situation, a person needs to experiment to find HER level.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Leo41 it makes so much sense!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #75
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbie7
Stats: 255/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2011
Yes it is possible to lose weight when your 'older'. I lost my weight in my 50's. I lost 105 lbs in 18 months.

I'm 58 now and have been maintaining for about 2 years. I have not been able to get below 150 lbs. I'm 5'6" and would really like to be in the low 140's but it is just not happening. I don't know if it's age related or not. I feel healthy, can move around easily and continue to be diligent with my food choices.

I don't have any experience with how thyroid levels and medications would affect your weight loss. I hope you are able to achieve your goal!
Debbie7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Hey Debbie7 you're from Pittsburgh too! And congrats on the fantastic weight loss. I'm so happy for you! I would never guess you were 58. You look amazing
Old 06-06-2014, 05:49 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/266.5/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
Debbie7 and lo-carbin-in-Pgh

I lived in Pittsburgh for many years - so I feel I have something in common with both of you. I hope that I can succeed as well as both of you. This has been such a struggle for me. I can be "good" for a few days, and then eat something stupid. I need to be more disciplined.
sk8termom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8termom View Post
Debbie7 and lo-carbin-in-Pgh

I lived in Pittsburgh for many years - so I feel I have something in common with both of you. I hope that I can succeed as well as both of you. This has been such a struggle for me. I can be "good" for a few days, and then eat something stupid. I need to be more disciplined.
Yay! A Steeler fan in Cleveland! We have family that have moved there. My nieces married Cleveland boys who are poor sports when in comes to football.

I agree. Sometimes I can cheat and get back on, but I never know when the cheat is going to derail me for day, months, even years! I'm glad we found each other. We need a "Too Old to Lose Weight in Da Burgh?" challenge lol Or maybe "Yinz to Old to Lose Weight?"

Last edited by lo-carbin-in-Pgh; 06-06-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/266.5/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
I'd love a Yinzers challenge thread
sk8termom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:36 AM   #80
Senior LCF Member

Leo41 - I was interested in what you said about figuring your own caloric needs. After dinner last night I still had about 350 calories left for the day (I started with 1200 plus 340 more for exercise). At 8:00 my husband and I walked our dogs for an hour and I didn't even log that exercise because I did not want to eat more than 350 calories. In fact I only ate about 250. Bottom line is I was far below where the food diary would have put me, and I lost

I may not force myself to eat all of my calories anymore, or maybe I won't add for exercise until I get close to my goal.

Last edited by lo-carbin-in-Pgh; 06-07-2014 at 03:37 AM..
Old 06-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #81
Senior LCF member

I agree. One of the fallacies of using a calculator is the tendency to imagine that one must consume food to a specific number--hungry or not. There should be no such thing as "I need to eat 300 more calories today." Eating when not physically hungry is what got most of us to obesity originally.

I have a calorie 'limit' for myself (the maintenance number I've arrived at from experimentation). But if I've eaten what I've planned but discover that I am no longer hungry, I don't worry that I'm 300 cal 'short' of my limit. And I certainly don't decide to add a dessert or something to 'get to' my 'number.' Over the course of a week, it all evens out, and I'm not concerned. Some days I may be especially hungry and eat a few calories more. I'm not rigid about the number--it's an approximation of the amount I should eat.

My 'concern' is if I see the scale going up or down unexpectedly over the course of a few weeks. Then I would make adjustments.

I know there's a lot of interest recently in 'intuitive' eating, and if I could do that, I certainly would. But after a lifetime of morbid obesity and with my carb sensitivity, I know that my 'food cues' are screwed up. That's why 'counting' is necessary for me.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

This is the best thing I've learned on this thread! I may have figured out how to break this no-weight-loss cycle. Not that I intend to undereat. I know I'm eating well...I intend to eat if I'm hungry and until I'm full, not exceed the caloric limit recommended but not worry about hitting it either. Eureka!!! Thank you Leo41. You obviously know what you're talking about with an almost 200 lb loss
Old 06-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~*Kimbers*~
Stats: 373/360/175
Start Date: 05/10/2014
Im 44. I just restarted after many years of just really letting myself go. At any rate, When I was 33 I lost 100 pounds in just under a year. The first month I lost over 30 pounds alone. As you can see in my signature, its not as fast now. I have lost 13 pounds in my first month this time. Slow and steady wins the race.
~*Kimbers*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Kimbers*~ View Post
Im 44. I just restarted after many years of just really letting myself go. At any rate, When I was 33 I lost 100 pounds in just under a year. The first month I lost over 30 pounds alone. As you can see in my signature, its not as fast now. I have lost 13 pounds in my first month this time. Slow and steady wins the race.
It was easy in our 30's wasn't it?! I don't like this. We have to keep working on it though. We're at a pivotal age that will determine our health for the rest of our lives. You can do it!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

I dropped another pound! Wow! I can't believe this WOE is working again. Last month I did two solid, perfect weeks of induction and didn't lose an ounce. I gave up. Then my doctor told me I should accept that I might be too old to lose weight, and I started induction the very next morning. After a couple days of no loss, got back on these boards and posted this thread. The support has been amazing and the ideas are working. I'm now down 4 pounds and on my way back to my goal. Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread I think I would've given up again last week and accepted that I was too old, like my doctor said
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/275/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-carbin-in-Pgh View Post
Hi Neighbor! I'm in Bridgeville, where are you? If you're close we could make each other go to LA Fitness lol
Oh how neat! Been to Chuck E. Cheese many times there...
I live near Monroeville though That was a great idea though!
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #87

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-carbin-in-Pgh View Post
Ugh I've never had to count calories with low carb before but it sounds like it's the way to go now. Do any if you use an app for that?
Yep - sadly you will probably have to drop some calories to see the scale move. I know, I do too - I hate it.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #88
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Debbie7
Stats: 255/150/150 5'6"
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2011
Boy, small world low-carb-n-pgh. You're in Bridgeville and I'm in USC. We're neighbors! That is an amazing coincidence.

Glad that the scale is moving for you. It seems like you've found some good tips that are working. Congratulations!
Debbie7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie7 View Post
Boy, small world low-carb-n-pgh. You're in Bridgeville and I'm in USC. We're neighbors! That is an amazing coincidence.

Glad that the scale is moving for you. It seems like you've found some good tips that are working. Congratulations!
Wow Debbie, that's such a coincidence! I'm one street out of USC in Bridgeville. In fact, when I walk I go through Rolling Meadows and Montclair, if you know where that is.

The scale moved, but is still there. This is gonna be slow... I feel so good eating this way though, so I'll keep it up. My app says I should be 139 in 5 weeks but I don't see that happening. Those apps must not take age into consideration lol
Old 06-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: vastamper
Stats: sw145/cw128/begin pre maint 125
WOE: Atkins/Modifying it 5/2014
Start Date: April 2001, April 2010
I am in your corner rooting for you!

As everyone has said women beyond their 20's have hormonal changes working against them. I also think we have lifestyle changes working against us.

Dealing with teenagers and elderly parents and the stress of spreading myself so thin combined with hormonal changes and thyroid issues has caused me to gain weigh.

We need to make the time for ourselves that it takes to loose the weight. Easier said than done.
vastamper is offline   Reply With Quote