Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: miss robyn
Cooking for guests?

I've found plenty of low carb foods that I enjoy alone and with my family, but I am having someone over for dinner this weekend and I have no idea what to make! I want to have a "normal" meal, but I don't even know how to do that without rice and/or potatoes and/or bread. And I don't like any of the substitutes that I've tried so far, like flaxseed bread or mashed cauliflower. I'd like to find something that's naturally low carb, if that makes sense, instead of altering a good recipe to be healthier-but-less-tasty. I know I'm being really picky here, but I keep thinking somebody has to know of a delicious low carb meal I could make! It doesn't have to be 100% carb-free or anything either, I'm thinking around 15g carbs per serving would be good. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!
miss robyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
When I have guests, I cook what fits their own WOE. I have friends who eat low carb, so that's no problem, but I entertain others who eat the SAD. By making a typical meal of protein, veg, starch, I just eat low carb and allow my guests to have the foods they usually eat. I've never found it to be a problem.

I even make desserts, and my guests love it when I suggest they take any leftovers home with them
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Sorry I should have specified this friend has a very similar plan to mine. I allow myself to cheat on one meal per week, so when I'm cooking for a guest who doesn't care about carbs I just make one of my old favorites and indulge. But this is the first time I've had to cook for someone else who is on a low carb plan!

(Sending the desserts home with your guests is a genius idea, by the way. I always end up eating the leftovers and feeling guilty about it haha)
Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Furi
WOE: low carb
Start Date: October 2010
Nothing weird about a barbecue if the weather's right for it (grilled asparagus, shishkebabs, steak, chicken, shrimp, fish, peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, zucchini, onions, etc), or meat and a nice big fancy salad if it's not.
Furi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I don't prepare foods I don't eat. I figure people can eat one healthy meal and it won't kill them. As long as there is plenty of food they usually don't even notice what isn't there.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furi View Post
Nothing weird about a barbecue if the weather's right for it (grilled asparagus, shishkebabs, steak, chicken, shrimp, fish, peppers, mushrooms, summer squash, zucchini, onions, etc), or meat and a nice big fancy salad if it's not.
How did I not think of barbecue?! It's a little hot for it where I live (the high for today was 106 ) but I'm willing to sweat a little for the sake of good food! Thanks for the idea!!
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
There are lots of delicious foods that should appeal to both camps - and a LC guest would be relieved and appreciative:

Chicken marsala
Sauteed asparagus with hollandaise sauce
Asparagus sautéed with soy sauce and butter - sounds weird, but really yummy
Large spinach salad with lots of fixings
Stuffed mushrooms
Any type of marinated low carb veggie
Cold pesto cauliflower salad
Stuffed bell peppers
Lots of options with zucchini, eggplant

You could go over to the I breathe, I'm hungry page - there are so many recipe ideas

Look through the menu forum and consider the recipes - there's so much that you can make that it both LC friendly and delicious that it's really kind of a fun challenge...

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I recently had guests for a while and I promise it's possible. The good thing is that low carb meals can be easily made SAD.

Cook your normal low carb meal but have a carb that is easily added on the side. For example, steak and vegetables as you usually make it and make a potato for them and a fatty sauce for you. Or a nice homemade chicken soup with bread for them.

Mentally label any carbs you need to buy for them as their food that you're not allowed to eat.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: e&m'smom
I recently had some guests over and I made tacos/taco salad for everyone. I had all the 'fixin's' for either. About 1/2 the guests chose to make a taco salad instead of tacos . They ate low carb and didn't know it

BBQ is a great idea too- get several different meats, big green salad, lots of vegetables (zucchini, onions, peppers, broccoli) You can offer some starches if you want, like corn on the cob or baked potatoes, but you won't feel left out by not choosing that option.

One dessert that my kids and I have been loving is sliced strawberries with homemade whip cream with splenda to sweeten it.
e&m'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
There is always taco night! Lettuce cups for you or taco salad. nomnomnom.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
BBQ definitely.

roasted chicken and veg or salad

when I have guests I make dinner rolls and a starchy thing....for them. I just eat meat and veg or salad. they can have the rest

I am not a fancy cook. simple food on a plate. works for everyone. but the BBQ is tops right now.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
hors d'oeuvres:
celery w/cream cheese or nut/seed butter, deviled eggs, olives, pickles (dill or sf), nuts, raw veggies w/ranch dip, cheese cubes, sliced summer sausage
(you can even make a mini "kabob" with like summer sausage or even bologna, sliced cheese (real cheese), pickle slice, then skewer with tooth pick - if you want to get fancy you can cube or shape them)

Any roasted/grilled/baked meat (steak, pork chops, ham, chicken)

Sides:
Green bean "casserole"
Asparagus (bleh )
Faux mashed cauli-potatoes
Any steamed/roasted non-starchy veggie (love roasted onions, squash, brussel sprouts, etc. I even throw a *few* carrots in for color)
Any basic Salad

Some easy Crockpot stuff (not a lot of work, little heat) ... (depending on how thick could be a starter soup/chili):
Corned Beef and Cabbage (hold the potatoes).
Beef Stew (with non-starchy veggies).
Chili (no bean or easy on the black beans).
Chili Verde Stew (can pair with low carb tortilla if you do gluten).

If you do gluten and can tolerated some carbs you could do a low carb taco bar or make enchiladas. (you can also make a "layered" no tortilla "enchilada" style casserole).

hope you have fun

Last edited by webcrystal; 05-31-2014 at 07:19 AM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2004
It's almost summer which means lots of out of town guests. For breakfast I make sure there is yogurt, fruit, bread for toast. I set it out and let people serve themselves. If it have time, I bake lots of bacon ahead if time and then whip up an omelette or scrambled for them.

Lunch, I encourage guests to eat out. We live on the beach though, so if I make sure there are plenty of sandwich fixings,they can pack a lunch for themselves. There are so many good cafés within walking distance, that I really try not to prepare lunch and instead focus on dinner plans.

BBQ is the greatest way to eat healthfully and easily. We grill meat or fish along with veggies like peppers, zucchini, mushrooms and cauliflower. It's also easy to toss a salad and sometimes grill up potatoes for whoever wants them. I've never found it a problem to offer guests dishes that I don't eat, I just make sure there are lots for dh and I to choose from.
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: julieboolie
Stats: 272/152.4/155 Size 26/8/4-6 :)
WOE: one day at a time!!
Start Date: July 14, 2003 - every day!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss robyn View Post
How did I not think of barbecue?! It's a little hot for it where I live (the high for today was 106 ) but I'm willing to sweat a little for the sake of good food! Thanks for the idea!!
Sounds like you must live near me in AZ! Whew, it's getting hot already!!

I make chicken Alfredo a lot... I skip the pasta but my family likes the GF pasta. Dreamfields would work for your LC friend.
I make mine with diced chicken breast, sauteed onions and bell peppers, jarred sauce that I doctor up with cream and fresh Parmesan, and I serve mine over steamed broccoli. Add a Cesar salad and that's one of our favorite dinners without heating up the kitchen too much.-yummy!
julieboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I don't prepare foods I don't eat. I figure people can eat one healthy meal and it won't kill them. As long as there is plenty of food they usually don't even notice what isn't there.
This is so me.
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #16

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieboolie View Post
Sounds like you must live near me in AZ! Whew, it's getting hot already!!

I make chicken Alfredo a lot... I skip the pasta but my family likes the GF pasta. Dreamfields would work for your LC friend.
I make mine with diced chicken breast, sauteed onions and bell peppers, jarred sauce that I doctor up with cream and fresh Parmesan, and I serve mine over steamed broccoli. Add a Cesar salad and that's one of our favorite dinners without heating up the kitchen too much.-yummy!
Sound delish!
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
A couple ideas that haven't been mentioned…

A Chinese hot pot. My kids love it when I get out mine, and guests too. Everyone gathers around the hot pot, and cooks their own selection of fish, chicken, shrimp, veggies…whatever you offer. You can make rice on the side if you want. I like to make a selection of dipping sauces: peanut, sirachi, etc. It's a fun and healthy way to have a meal. You can finish with fresh fruit.

A New England fish boil is also fun, especially if you have a picnic table to cover with newspapers. Fish, crab, and corn on the cob and potatoes too for the guests. Serve with a huge salad and melted butter to dip the crab in. If you feed people crab and real butter they will be talking about you forever. Finish with strawberries and cream.

I also love to do southern-cooking style dinners, because around here (Oregon) people don't do them enough. I make a pot of greens, hot links, and baked fish. You can make cornbread for the guests, but I find most people fill up on the lc stuff so I don't bother, especially if you add brisket or ribs in there.
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #18

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I find it easiest to make the protein separately. I might make steaks, with some asparagus and salad, and then just bake some potatoes and provide all the toppings for guests.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I just make whatever I eat, and everyone seems to love it. To be honest, nobody ever seems to notice that there's no starch. When people ask what they can bring, in addition to the usual wine, I suggest bread if they like it with dinner.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
My go to is homemade chicken Carbonara with homemade pasta etc.
The chicken Carbonara is chicken and cream and bacon and egg yolks etch, which I shovel by the bucket load. I just avoid the pasta.
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I always just make one of my meat dishes and then add to it rice or chips or whatever as an optional side dish.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote