LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
How do you travel and stay on LC?

We are taking a weeks car trip and I was wondering how you all cope with car travel and staying on your program? We won't have cooking facilities so will be eating at restaurants (mostly fast food) and stopping at WalMart for snacks. I know I can pick things up at grocery stores but can't
keep them for long. Would appreciate any suggestions. I don't want to come home with any additional weight.
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Furi
WOE: low carb
Start Date: October 2010
Burgers, hold the bun. Fast food salads (be careful to read the nutritional information, especially on the dressing. I really like the southwestern grilled chicken salads, picking off the corn chips and canned corn) Grilled chicken from fried chicken places. The insides of a sandwich. (I like tuna salad from subway, extra veg) Pepperoni, babybels, jerky, meat sticks, string cheese, and other portable LC snacks from grocery stores (make sure to drink enough water, there's a ton of salt in these.) You could pick up a few low-carb protein bars before you go, if you have time.

Almost anywhere will have an option with meat, cheese, or eggs where you can pick off or ask for them to hold the bread, even if it means ordering meat lover's pizza and just eating the meat and cheese! Do be careful of the breading on fried items, though, it adds up for sure.
Furi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
string cheese, nuts, bag of pork skins, babybell cheese, beef jerky(check for sugar), order eggs and bacon for breakfast (not scrambled because they use a mix with bad stuff in it) unless it's a mom and pop where they use whole eggs.. If you have to eat fast food, I order the double or triple patty hamburger and then use the bun like the skin on a banana and peal it back and eat the meat, tomato, pickle and onion and toss the bread as I go. For dinner, just stick to the meat and vegetables. I tell them no rice or potatoes and get extra vegetables and a salad with the lowest carb/sugar.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I bring a food bag with all my back-ups
Old 05-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Before I leave I shop for best quality meat stick/Jerky I can find. I also throw in some small bags of pumpkin seeds, that I can portion into two servings when opened. I also pack some flax crackers, something like rosemary flavored flackers, or my own homemade if I get around to it. I will also include a vial of MCT oil with eye dropper for adding to my coffee along the road. Sometimes I'll make some mini serving fatbombs . . .

Last edited by Patience; 05-30-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
It's easy! A cooler and judicious menu orders work great. Plus we save money by grabbing food at supermarkets instead of just restaurants
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Oh! I almost forgot. This is also one of those occasions where I go generally low carb instead of just the induction food list. A little half n half if I can't get cream, some nuts if only nuts and candy are available, some berries for dessert - these are easy ways to feel like you're getting treats and eating more flexibly on your vacation without a big carb hit. Some folks can stay extremely strict on vacation but I find just picking low carb foods in general and not worrying overly much about quantity or some low carb treats works really well for me. I don't gain weight and I don't feel deprived, either.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Old 05-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

That's very good logic Arctic Mama. Many times I've had to settle for half n half instead of my beloved cream. It's a lot better than those artificial creams with carbs and sugar. I have been known to bring along my own cream too. You are right about the nuts which do have carbs but it's a lot better than carbs from candy or a bag of chips. Making the best choices.
Congrats on your fifth baby. Never a dull moment, that's for sure. Been there done that with 4.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

. Never a dull moment indeed!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I bring Atkins shakes for breakfast (I drink those every day anyway) and lots of low carb snacks including beef jerky, beef sticks, shelf-stable salami, nuts of all kinds, and low carb bars such as the dreaded Atkins bars, Quest bars, and/or Epic bars (they are a bit higher in carbs but as a meal substitute they are ok by me). I eat LC out at restaurants frequently so usually I have no problems there, I am used to ordering thing that will work for me.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

They grow so fast. Take lots of pics and make sure to print them out. Everybody leaves them on their computer or smartphone these days and when they crash, the pics are lost with them.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ncredbird
Stats: 204/178/170
WOE: Atkins
Speaking of Flackers (which I had never heard of but sound really good) has anyone tried this recipe for a similar product and if so how did you like them? Chia Flax Crackers
ncredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

This sounds really good but I wonder what the carb count is? I never saw it listed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
Speaking of Flackers (which I had never heard of but sound really good) has anyone tried this recipe for a similar product and if so how did you like them? Chia Flax Crackers
Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Wow, I just read nutrition info on Flackers and it is 12g carbs for 6 crackers. That's too high for me right now. Maybe some day...
Old 05-31-2014, 06:09 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I just got back from an almost three week road trip. I have the added complications of (a) allergic to eggs and peanuts, (b) controlling diabetes by eating LCHF.

The cooler was a life saver (I kept it iced and carried HWC and cream cheese with np). I carried snacks. In restaurants I skipped the details and just gave a long list of food allergies. I instructed the server to make sure I got no sauces (no control in what goes into those). If the restaurant offered real butter, I buttered almost everything (the look on my friends' faces when I buttered low-fat turkey breakfast sausage was worth money). Most cooks took me seriously. But, a couple of times, they lied about how they prepared foods and my blood glucose meter told on them. Most of the time I was full and happy with normal BG. Oh, and I returned weighing what I weighed when I left.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I've found it pretty easy to travel & stick to LC in the past. I would pack protein powder & go to a local grocery store when I arrived wherever I was going. I'd pack a cooler, too.

Most restaurants have some LC options. Salads are my go-to foods when the menu is lacking in good choices.

I'm going to be traveling next week for the first time in years so I'm going to have to figure things out all over again. Flying, restaurants, etc. I'm sure it will be fine. my concerns have always been wasted worry in the past. I might be able to take some protein powder just in case but I am not sure yet.

I don't go off plan for any reason & I always lose weight when I travel. Added bonus! lol... I figure it is because there are not many healthy high fat options when I travel & my calories tend to be low because of that.

Have a good & safe trip!
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #17
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
For our last long road trip we bought a cooler that could be plugged into a 12v plug in the car and a regular plug in the hotel at night. They don't keep things as cold as a regular refrigerator in the car so I put frozen water bottles in to keep the temp down and refroze them when we had a fridge in our hotel room.

We usually try to stay in a hotel that offers real breakfast and go out for one nicer meal per day. The other is something from the cooler.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #18

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I also recommend a cooler. You can make a block of ice ahead of time and it will last longer than cubes....although you will have to replenish with cubes often along the way. The plug in cooler is a good idea. If you want cream, you can put it in a nalgene type bottle so it doesn't spill, I do this when I'm camping. If you are stopping at grocery stores you can get food on a regular basis. Walmart has rotisserie chickens and those are convenient. Will you be in hotels at all? If so, you might be able to make things like boiled eggs along the way. Restuarants will likely have some low carb options too. It's more challenging when travelling, but it can be done.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/242/195
WOE: Keto
I make a double batch or something like pork rind pancakes or almond flour and cheese biscuits and take those along with cooked bacon (ready cooked is super easy) and individually wrapped cheese. With a cooler you have even more options. I also have a travel coffee aerater so I bring a little jar of coconut oil for easy BPC on the mornings.

Also, I am with Artic Mama that it is best to not panic if things don't always go perfectly in restaurants. Do the best you can and remember that it is a marathon not a sprint...I had two little cheats last week while staying with friends because of food I was served...I did my best and actually got a long awaited whoosh at the end of the trip!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:09 AM   #20

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I just got back from an almost three week road trip. I have the added complications of (a) allergic to eggs and peanuts, (b) controlling diabetes by eating LCHF.

The cooler was a life saver (I kept it iced and carried HWC and cream cheese with np). I carried snacks. In restaurants I skipped the details and just gave a long list of food allergies. I instructed the server to make sure I got no sauces (no control in what goes into those). If the restaurant offered real butter, I buttered almost everything (the look on my friends' faces when I buttered low-fat turkey breakfast sausage was worth money). Most cooks took me seriously. But, a couple of times, they lied about how they prepared foods and my blood glucose meter told on them. Most of the time I was full and happy with normal BG. Oh, and I returned weighing what I weighed when I left.
What a fantastic post Great job on eating out for almost 3 weeks especially with the no weight gain

My daughter has type 1 diabetes and I have no issues whatsoever going "out of the way" to make sure she has what she needs (and what she doesn't ) when we are out and about. That means either going somewhere to get a snack when she is needing one because she has forgotten to pack one or getting a "real soda" because her blood sugar is low. Have to remember she is only 13 though Anyway, just being judicious about what you can and cannot have is key.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Eating in fast food restaurants for every meal can get really awful pretty quickly. When I do long road trips, in addition to the cooler everyone has mentioned, I bring a little camping stove (you can buy them very cheaply from Walmart). There are picnic tables at all the rest areas, and it's fun to cook simple meals as a break from McDonalds. Much healthier too! From the Walmart supermarkets, you can buy all sorts of useful, precut and prewashed veggies--organic salads, little peppers, celery, avocado, cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas. With some cheese, nuts, deli meats, and water, this makes an excellent lunch or dinner to eat at rest areas or state parks. I also bring a thermos and filter holder and make my own coffee, which I like very very strong. Those little plastic bags of pre-made Indian food are easy to find in most supermarkets now, and lots of them are very low-carb. That's what I use camping all the time, because you just need to heat it up for a minute or two.

Precooked bacon is good for camping or road trips too. If you find a town with a Trader Joe's, they have lots and lots of great low carb food which doesn't need to be heated up.

Last edited by tiva; 06-01-2014 at 03:05 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
Wow, I just read nutrition info on Flackers and it is 12g carbs for 6 crackers. That's too high for me right now. Maybe some day...
I think you're looking at the one sweet variety of flackers, with cinnamon and currants. Half of those grams are fiber, least!

Check out the other flavors too - I buy the savory kind, with 8g total carbs; 7g of which are fiber. They're super tasty!
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

OK Thanks I'll check that out. Do you order them or buy them in a store?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #24

My 3 day trip was a breeze food-wise. I just made good choices at the hotel & restaurants. The scale was down 1 lb when I weighed the day after returning home.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #25

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
My 3 day trip was a breeze food-wise. I just made good choices at the hotel & restaurants. The scale was down 1 lb when I weighed the day after returning home.
Good job
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I read a blog recently where the author took a crock pot along. She would fill it and cook all night, and in the morning wrap it up in towels and pack it in a box in the car. They would stop at a rest stop and enjoy a hot lunch.

I saw a large family at a motel near Disneyland bring a little hibachi grill and cook things on the grill for the entire family's dinner.

Don't forget grocery stores as food sources on the road. You can get a hot roasted chicken and make a salad from a salad bar, or sliced meats and cheeses plus raw veggies.

I carry coconut oil and coconut milk for bullet proof coffee I. The morning, then I otherwise fast until lunch unless a good low carb breakfast is available. I carry a few quest bars for emergency meals, but I'm always happy to return home with them as they are not my idea of a great meal.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My husband and I do 'road trips' all the time and I think it's pretty easy (and cheaper) to take a cooler. I make up containers of chicken salad and bring along a small 'new' jar of mayo and cans of tuna for later in the week. Hard boiled eggs that have been cut in half and the 'filling' made and in a ziploc bag ready to 'fill' the deviled eggs. Some hard boiled eggs left whole for when I want to grab something quickly. Salad fixings already cut up and in ziplocs along with my homemade vinagrette and then I can pick up a rotisserie chicken along the way to cut up and put in the salad for a main meal. I also bring along bags of cut up celery for when I need a crisp munchie.

We generally eat breakfast out, but I take along little tubs of half and half since most restaurants will tell you they have half and half but what they really have is a 'cream' that has been reconstituted and contains some sugar. We no longer eat at the hotel's morning breakfast bar because I've found (via my BG meter) that their eggs generally contain some type of carb filler, as do their sausages. Some have hard boiled eggs in their refrigerator and will serve bacon, but generally that's not an option. It's just easier to go to a restaurant.

I don't usually include cheese in my travel foods only because it has a deleterious effect on my 'regularity'...particularly when I've been sitting for hours in a car.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #28

Thanks, Dawn.

If we'd been on a different type of trip I might have gone to a grocery store for some things. Our hotel room had a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot. It was quite nice.

In the past, when staying with relatives for a week or more, I have usually gone to the grocery store to get a few staples. I was even able to stick to a 5 meals per day plan w/o any problems at all.

When driving, coolers are definitely our best friend! Even on a day trip they can save the day.

I think it is great to be prepared by bringing food & if we don't need to use it , that is fine, too. Plan & prepare for success!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme View Post
OK Thanks I'll check that out. Do you order them or buy them in a store?
I buy them at Whole Foods, but I think they're available at Netrition and probably the product website?
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
It's easy! A cooler and judicious menu orders work great. Plus we save money by grabbing food at supermarkets instead of just restaurants

I don't eat at restaurants cause I'm paranoid about food prepared by others but I do go in and have the others be the "designated eaters" while I have iced tea or dt. soda.

But I've traveled and stopped at grocery stores to get my supplies -- cheaper all the way around. I also eat canned tuna and canned chicken breast. Like Artic Mama, I have a cooler with containers of sliced up chicken breast, cold fish, my homemade salad dressing, etc. Bag o' salads are the BOMB! It's all in the prep & planning and it keeps me 100% on plan.

Wishing you much success on your road trip as you continue your LC WOE journey!!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote