Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
lemon juice + honey

Lemons have a small amount of fructose in them. I read that some of you squeeze the fruit into water. It's probably not great to use--I use 2-3 TBSP juice + about 8oz water, 1/2 tsp honey--but is it a problem? Should I not drink it? I bought the juice, Italian volcano, instead of lemon tea.
What do you think? Is the fructose a problem? It is a sugar, then I add the honey on top of it. Hmmm.
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: palegirl
Stats: 249/144/145 2006:199/136/140 2013:206/165/145
WOE: Atkins Sizes:20W-22M/8/8
Start Date: thanksgiving 2002 Height: 5'7 Age:35
I personally would eat the lemon but definitely not the honey. The carbs in lemon are negligible, 3 g per 1 oz juice. Honey is pure sugar. 17g per tbsp.
palegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Honey is too high-glycemic for me personally - but adding lemon juice not from concentrate works, as it yields an estimated glycemic load of 3. To sweeten things up a bit more, you can always add Splenda or Stevia.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #4
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/207.8/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
stay away from honey on low carb. I do have a pitcher of water in the fridge with lemon slices in it most the time. I don't sweeten it, though.
stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Don't let the 'all natural' label mislead you. From the neck down sugar is sugar according to the body. It doesn't matter if it's honey, coconut sugar, fruit or high fructose corn syrup. After all, cane and beet sugar are natural too. The GI on them isn't any good either.

Sugar replacements are another matter but always check the GI on them too. Many (if not most) are at least partially digestible and some more than others.

As has been mentioned the amount of carbs in the lemon is minimal and it is possible to budget into your carb allowance. The honey, however, is waaay too high.

Think of carbs this way- you're not only trying to limit the overall amount but eat lower GI and preferably spread the carbs out over several meals. Eat them all at once, particularly if they are high GI and you get the insulin response which is what low carb is all about reducing.

I recently did myself in, eating a low carb berry gelati I had made because it was more sugar all at once than I had since I started. Sure, it was low carb and it technically fit my macros but it was not what my body could deal with.

Some people find their bodies more forgiving but it is better to be cautious and honey is all out extravagance .
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
Gotcha! Thanks.
Ella5
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote