Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sueshe
Stats: 226.5/207.0/135 5'4 1/2
WOE: Kinda counting calories/fat
Start Date: Feb 10 2014
Calories, low carb and cholesterol counting....

I've done low carb off and on for the majority of my adult life. I have never however had to keep track of my cholesterol or calories, I just watched my carbs. Well, after a run of not eating well and getting up to my highest weight ever, my doc did blood work and my cholesterol/triglycerides are way too high. I don't want to take statins to correct it, so I am back on low carb now, induction levels but am also trying to keep my cholesterol levels in check. The problem is, I'm having trouble keeping my calories and carbs up if I stay within the 300mg of cholesterol per day that my doc has suggested. Yesterday my calories were only 643 and my carbs were 16 but my cholesterol was 175mg over. I'd run out of things to eat and no ideas on what to eat. I ate a pickle and a piece of celery but still didn't get it up high enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can eat that won't up my cholesterol levels but will increase my calories?

226.5 215 210 200 190 180 170 160
sueshe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure those with experience will say that dietary cholesterol has little effect on your blood cholesterol.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hmmm....okay. That's interesting. I did tell my physician that I was doing low carb, but if she was not familiar with it, wondering if she would have given me the mg of cholesterol limits for a 1200 calorie low fat diet. Sure hope someone chimes in that knows about this. They were very high, trig were over 400 and cholesterol wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but still a little over 200. I'm also watching my fats as well, but they have been pretty good.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Your trigs should come down with low-carb eating.

I would not worry about dietary cholesterol. Many years ago, when I first did Atkins, I was a poor graduate student and existed mainly on eggs and tuna--lots and lots of eggs. After a year, I went to a new primary doctor, and I mentioned my eating habits, telling him that I was sure my cholesterol would be off the charts high. He laughed and told me that my body regulates cholesterol absent dietary issues--i.e., if you eat a lot, the body makes less; if you eat less, the body will make more. [Very high cholesterol that requires statins is in younger men who have a genetic defect that causes the body to make too much.]

Sure enough, my labs were excellent.

Your cholesterol doesn't seem to be too high, but remember that the total number is irrelevant--it's the HDL and LDL specific numbers that are important. For example, my labs always list my total cholesterol as 'high,' but that's because my HDL is usually in the high 90s--a number that my doctors envy:-)
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thank you for the info!!! My HDL wasn't bad, but she said it could be better, so I have added walking in 4-5 days a week. I've never been an exerciser, but don't want to have a heart attack or stroke either, and I do feel better since doing this. She did start me on statins, but the more I read about it, the less I wanted to be on it, so stopped taking them. Does not seem to be a good idea for women especially. There are such conflicting articles on just about everything related to low carb.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: doxielvr
You may want to read "The Great Cholesterol Con" - there is a lot of research, articles and books out there about the whole cholesterol thing being a bunch of baloney. The author of this book calls it the greatest scam in the history of medicine. Scare tactics = big pharma makes lots of $$ selling statins.
doxielvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Linda, I'll get a copy and read it!
Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Be sure to check out this great documentary from Australia as well:

Eye opening documentary on cholesterol
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
Grain Brain goes into this quite a bit if you're able to get a copy, as does Why We Get Fat by Taubes, and both are easy, straight-forward reads full of useful information overall.

You can also Google "The Cholesterol Myth," one of the first results should be an article by Dr. Joseph Mercola that gives a good run through, and another result by Dr. Stephen Sinatra who co-wrote the book "The Great Cholesterol Myth," but that one is a pretty short article, largely advertising the book.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Forget about lowering 'cholesterol' via 'low cholesterol foods'. It just doesn't work that way.

The best thing that you can do is to lower your triglycerides through greatly reducing carb intake and choosing health fats rather than those that come from seed oils and therefore high in omega 6s.

Dr. Peter Attia has a great 3 part blog on the subject on his blog entitled, the eating academy. He also has a YouTube lecture on the subject entitled 'the straight dope on cholesterol. Both are very worthwhile.

Welcome back to low carb!

Last edited by clackley; 05-27-2014 at 05:03 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you everyone for your input and for such a wealth of information!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
There are some great resources mentioned here by medical professionals who do not subscribe to the heart disease-cholesterol theory. I second the recommendation to check out Peter Attia, Jonny Bowden, Jimmy Moore, Kris Gunnars (of Authority Nutrition), Colin Champ, William Davis, just to name a few.

In 2010 one of the LCF members posted a cholesterol primer, that has some excellent information. You can find it here:

Cholesterol - a Primer

From a personal standpoint, my doctor was pressuring me to go on statins because my total cholesterol was in the 245-250 range. After a year on a LC diet I went back for further testing. My total cholesterol had dropped to 236, but more importantly my triglycerides had dropped from 130 down to 78, and my HDL went up from 61 to 73. So, while my total cholesterol is still high enough that the doctor wants me on a statin, I refused the prescription. I will never go on statins.