LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gel0507
Stats: 264/251/160
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 5/12/2014
lemon water

I have read that drinking lemon water in the morning helps to rev up your metabolism. Anyone have experience with this? Would this be "allowed" following the LC diet? thanks
gel0507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Geesebaby
Stats: 314/271/150
WOE: Atkins induction, Gluten Free
Start Date: Jan. 9, 2014 Atkins
I know some folks like to do it. Worth a try right? You just need to count the carbs--- 2.8 carbs in 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice per Atkins website.
Geesebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I tried it for quite a while, even have an ebook about it. It tasted good but I did not experience any noticeable benefits.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Back in the stone age we (DH & I) went to the Diet Center. We had to drink lemon water every morning. We each lost 40 pounds rather quickly. I have started doing that again in hopes it will kick-start SOMETHING. Anything. As I understand it, the lemon water (needs to be hot) helps get the toxins out of the liver, which makes it more efficient at mobilizing fat. Who knows. <shrug> YMMV.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ElizabethLC
Stats: 218.5/147/150s
Start Date: July 2008
I drink lemon water regularly and it has never hindered my progress. 2 tablespoons per day. For me, it did not accelerate my loss noticeably. I think I lost at the same rate during weeks I drank it and weeks I didn't. (That was just my experience tho, I def don't claim to speak for anyone else!) I do find it refreshing, so I keep up the habit!

(Started low carb July 2008, went from 218.5-150s. Maintaining almost 4 yrs.)
ElizabethLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeBaby View Post
Back in the stone age we (DH & I) went to the Diet Center. We had to drink lemon water every morning. We each lost 40 pounds rather quickly. I have started doing that again in hopes it will kick-start SOMETHING. Anything. As I understand it, the lemon water (needs to be hot) helps get the toxins out of the liver, which makes it more efficient at mobilizing fat. Who knows. <shrug> YMMV.
It sounds nice if it helps, but the liver doesn't store toxins, so it sounds a little woowoo to me.

There are herbs that are proven to improve liver function in general when drunk as a tea. Milk Thistle has been clinically proven to improve liver function and repair damage. Some college students even claim to get "less drunk" if they take milk thistle before drinking.

Dandelion and Burdock imrove bile secretion and flow, and turmeric reduced inflammation, and since most damage to liver is inflammation, it is beneficial.

Lemon unfortunately is not on the liver list, but as a general antioxidant high in Vitamin C, it seems like a great addition to a daily routine whether or not it affects the liver or not.

Now if you ever decide to do a gall bladder flush, it often recommends mixing the olive oil with lemon juice to "stimulate bile" and make the oil easier to drink, but I have to suggest, from experience, that Grapefruit juice is better, because it won't cause the oil to become slimy like lemon juice does and does a good if not better job of masking the taste of the oil as it goes down.

Here's a tip on keeping your lemons fresher longer: Put your fresh lemons in a zipper food storage bag with a few sprinkles of water and store in the veggie drawer. storing them in a sealed bag in a cool moist environment keeps the skins from dehydrating and keeps them easier to squeeze and fresher.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I don't do the lemon thing for any reason.......but I do like cucumbers slices in my water or ice tea....just for a fresh flavor..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Lemon water would have no effect on 'metabolism.'

According to my endo, only two things can speed the metabolism (and only temporarily), caffeine and exercise.

Our metabolism is not as much under our control as many would like to think. It's part of how we're programmed by genetics.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #9
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
I drink it daily! ¼ cup of organic lemon juice not from concentrate with a pinch of cayenne pepper is a great way to make water not a snore.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Everything is better with a pinch of cayenne . . . this I've got to try.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #11

Gallery: momacat
I also am drinking a lot of lemon water. I'm doing it because it's suppose to be good for you, I'm substituting it for other types of beverages, and is like it. I am taking Garcinia Cambodia to help reduce body fat.
momacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Yes warm lemon water in the morning.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
love love lemon water. zips up plain old water.
no sweetner.

I buy 5 lemons a week. cut in 1/2...use my hand juicer thingy and put in my water. save half for next day. did I say I LOVE IT

benefits, none really I can actually attribute to lemon water other than I love the taste and it makes me happy.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:57 AM   #14
Random WIT

Gallery: stews
Stats: 240/181/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restarted 4/5/14 @223.8 lbs.
I don't squeeze juice into my water but i do almost always have a pitcher of water that I just put slices of lemon (or lemon/lime) in the fridge. this week I had cucumber/lemon/mint. just having the slices in there does give the water the added lemon flavor. I refill the pitcher a few times before replacing the lemon.

Last edited by stews; 05-29-2014 at 06:58 AM..
stews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM   #15

I like lemon water just because it tastes good. Sometimes I use selter water to make it a lemon soda type.

I'm growing mint. When it's big enough to butcher ( I feel guilty cutting my plants ) I could have lemon mint water, mmm!
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I like lemon water just because it tastes good. Sometimes I use selter water to make it a lemon soda type.

I'm growing mint. When it's big enough to butcher ( I feel guilty cutting my plants ) I could have lemon mint water, mmm!

That is so good!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I love water with any lemon, lime, cuke, etc. Lots of fancy hotels now have "fruity" water in their lobbies - with lemons, limes, strawberries, etc. floating in it. Very refreshing.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:49 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by momacat View Post
I also am drinking a lot of lemon water. I'm doing it because it's suppose to be good for you, I'm substituting it for other types of beverages, and is like it. I am taking Garcinia Cambodia to help reduce body fat.
What is your opinion of the Garcinia Cambodia?
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #19

You didn't ask me but I thought I'd give my IMHO,

I read that there are no definitive studies that show that it is beneficial to weight loss specifically and that there are dangers of side effects that can affect the liver.

I have some but I'm not going to take it anymore as I saw no difference that couldn't be explained by lifestyle changes. It didn't help me with hunger or energy.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #20

Now I want lemonade and don't have any lemons!