LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jbeth
Stats: 247/233.6/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 28th, 2014
Ready to throw in the towel

Finished 4th week. Actually gained weight when on the scale today. Yesterday I ate 12 carbs (NOT net) and about 1300 calories. I've not cheated in last two weeks. I've never been on a diet and stalled out this early in the process. I did lose 13 lbs first 2 weeks...and basically that is where I am.

All I can assume is I am eating too much fat or something. I don't know.

The only thing I can say is I haven't been hungry doing this diet. But I need the scale to move. I have measured myself as well, and nothing has changed.

I am just super discouraged.
jbeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
13 lbs in 2 weeks. and you finished your 2nd two weeks with no loss.

believe me don't throw in the towel just yet.
your body GAVE up alot. it is confused. YOU STAY THE COURSE with LC and you will see results. give it more ime for sure.

you are just beginning, got great results and by no means are you done, or throwing in the towel nothing in this life ever comes as quick as we like, well the good things !!!

YOU WILL succeed. you have to give that body time for adjustment.

honestly......you can do this. If your body gave you 13 lbs. down in 2 weeks, think of the longer term success. no eating plan, NONE, gives it all in 4 weeks total

you hold strong and chat out your frustrations and others will come in and say it is ok, we know, but you must stay this course for the benefits. and believe me, they are there!!!!!!

Last edited by Trigger828; 05-26-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Excuse me??? You lost a lot in a very short amount of time. Give your body a chance to adjust. Seriously. most people do not lose that much in 4 weeks, much less 2. Patience.

The scale fluctuates a lot by nature. I can gain 3-5 pounds overnight on a low calorie day. It has nothing to do with fat loss. The scale does not measure fat loss.

Are your clothes fitting differently? You have lost no inches? Since when? Surely you lost inches when you lost 13 lbs? What did you measure? If you have not taken measurements for EVERYTHING do so ASAP. Inches lost show fat loss & if you don't measure it you won't necessarily realize you've lost. Taking measurements once a month works well for most of us. Measuring too often can set one up for being discouraged. Again, the scale does not measure fat loss.

Are you exercising at all?
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You lost 13 lbs in 4 weeks--that's another way to look at it. And I'd consider that terrific.

In addition, you suspect you may be eating "too much fat or something."

Is there a reason for your suspicion other than lack of weight loss at this moment in time? If so, you might want to address the issue. If not, staying on plan is the wisest course.

To be able to manage the weight loss process, it's important to understand something about how the body loses weight. For example, it is fairly common for the body that has lost so much so fast (13lbs in 2 weeks) to fill empty fat cells with water, and in such cases the scale will show no loss (or even a gain) until the water is dropped in a few days or weeks. To be discouraged too early can be very counter productive.

I lost all my weight at no more than a pound a week--4 lbs a month. In the beginning, I was seeing a doctor who had offered to help monitor my loss. When I'd only lost a pound in two weeks (and was 300 lbs +), he rudely accused me of lying about my eating. I never saw him again. Losing weight is difficult enough without dealing with someone like that. It was just a fluke (like water retention), and I needed to do nothing to continue losing weight. Losing that jerk was the only positive change I needed to make.

If you want to lose weight, you have no other choice except to stay the course and see what develops over time. IMO, it's too soon to 'tweak,' unless you know that there is something you should be doing that you're not.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CurlsNCuffs
Start Date: April 2, 2003
You can do this. Stay the course.........

DO you feel healthier for having changed some things? Energy level increased?
CurlsNCuffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DelaneyLC
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: May 25, 2014
You've had a really good weight loss so far. Hang in there!
DelaneyLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeth View Post
Finished 4th week. Actually gained weight when on the scale today. Yesterday I ate 12 carbs (NOT net) and about 1300 calories. I've not cheated in last two weeks. I've never been on a diet and stalled out this early in the process. I did lose 13 lbs first 2 weeks...and basically that is where I am.

All I can assume is I am eating too much fat or something. I don't know.

The only thing I can say is I haven't been hungry doing this diet. But I need the scale to move. I have measured myself as well, and nothing has changed.

I am just super discouraged.

You are doing well! I know that when it comes to weight loss we want to see instant results and have that instant gratification, but you are well on your way to success. Do not throw in the towel.

What you are experiencing IS very typical with the low carb way of eating (LC WOE). Fluctuations happen to all of us. This can be from lots of things-- exercise, hidden salt in foods, for women, time of the month, etc.

What has kept me going is the following rule "If I'm not losing pounds on the scale than I am losing inches off the body." As childish and naive as it may sound it is actually very true. Just know that if you do your part (which you seem to be doing) the body in return will do its, you just have to be patient. Also, and this is just my humble opinon, you will find that the non-scale victories (getting into that pair of jeans you haven't been able to button, having to buy a smaller-waisted pair of jeans, etc.) is even better than the scale victories.

You've got this, and we are right here cheering you on! So, put that towel away and save it for late July/early August when you are rockin' the new improved body pool-side or on the beach!

Wishing you much success!

NAF
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I agree with everyone above....You have had a great start...this is not an overnight miracle ...it takes patience and staying with the course....It will happen...faster for some and slower for others but the goal is to be healthy, slimmer and just plain happy with ourselves....It is up to you and all here to make it happen ....Everyone here is different and our bodies act up and down for us....don't let the scales own you...they are up and down and down and up again....all the time...You know if you are losing or gaining just by looking at your body....I tried on clothes all this morning with T-shirts that I had stored and Yea!..I can wear them now and look great in them....that is a step I have enjoyed on this journey...You can do this....I take one day at a time...it will happen....My goal for myself .... happy that I am not gaining again ever......

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...

Last edited by ladyinlove56; 05-26-2014 at 11:35 AM..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cjw77
Stats: 264/251/150
WOE: very low carb
Start Date: 5/8/2014
i'm at about the same point you are! like people are saying what you have lost is pretty dramatic for your body and needs to adjust. i'm increasing my water intake today to see if it helps but i know in the long run my body will continue to burn fat. this is not a diet its a life style change, and while personally i think it is the fastest way to lose and maintain that loss, it still takes time and patience! you are doing great and you will reach your goals!
cjw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
I also agree with the advice you've gotten so far. I lose really slowly, now. I'd live 3#'s a week!!! Here's a question. (and believe me, I understand the frustration) What does 'throwing in the towel' look like to you? Going back to how you were eating? Continuing to gain weight? Are you going to let a number on the scale stop you? Do you really want to give up that easily? (okay, it was more than one!)

If you feel better, aside from the frustration, it won't be long before you are celebrating losing 20#'s!! Keep moving FORWARD!!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/202/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002) Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
those are rocking numbers. keep moving forward.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
Agree with all of the other posts - great start and don't give up!

I just wanted to add...1300 calories is not very much, for at least alot of people. I eat that much at lunch sometimes (but I'm a guy) and I lose weight. I was concerned that you were thinking of cutting out more fat. While I think you could be fine just "staying the course", if you want to make a change - do the opposite! Eat the fattiest meats you can. Here's why I suggest...

Many people are unaware that protein causes insulin to rise - not nearly as much as carbs but the effect is there. If your calories are low, and your body is sensing it needs to raise its blood sugar, it can turn protein into blood sugar. This can cause an insulin rise big enough to keep you from losing weight. On the other hand, if you have alot of fat in your diet, your body will "keto-adapt", meaning it will accept that it will be running on ketones (think fat) rather than sugar. Your enzyme profile then shifts toward fat-burning instead of sugar-burning. Even though your calorie intake may rise, your body has shifted to fut-burning, instead of sugar.

Yes, calories DO count. But they are one fraction of the total picture. The less protein and carbohydrates I eat, the more calories I can consume and enjoy the result.

That being said, I really don't think you need to change anything right now. BUT -- if you do, please consider what I said and make a change that I believe would be more productive.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
This seems to happen to more people than the one that loose nonstop to their goal.

It doesn't mean you are doing something wrong and no it doesn't mean your body isn't burning fat either. Weight is a lousy unstable measurement for fat loss.

You use the concept stall too easily. 2 weeks is nothing.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: moonmirror
Stats: 204/199.2/140
Start Date: 5/21/14
Last I checked, most people lose most of their weight week 1-2, then stop losing week 3-4, before it picks up again.

Usually what happens to me is I lose a lot of pounds in week 1-2 but no inches. Week 3-4 I lose no pounds, but the inches fall off!
moonmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ridextreme
Stats: 6/1/14: lost 48 lbs since thanksgiving 2013
WOE: almost zero carbs, eat 2 meals per day 900 cal/day
Start Date: 11/30/13 day aft thankgiving
are you using the Keto strips to make sure you are still in ketosis?

Is it possible you have been eating something that is labeled with less carbs than it actually has? (the strips will tell you the answer to this).

Assuming you are still in Ketosis, drink a lot of water (and I mean a lot like half your body weight in ounces spread out thru out the day) as long as the strips are positive you will lose weight.

Also, the scale if very misleading because water in your body is very fluid (does that make any sense lol) meaning it is constantly changing. The water might be retained but the fat is being lowered. The more water you drink the less your body will retain water.

Last edited by ridextreme; 05-26-2014 at 07:25 PM..
ridextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Where will you be if you give up? This needs to be a lifetime committment. There are plenty of weeks I haven't lost. Would I like to lose every week? Sure. But I am doing this for health, and I am sticking to it no matter what the scale says. Your body lost a lot of weight quickly and is playing catch up. But if you are going to give up that easily you might as well quit because you will face disappointment on the scale again, I can pretty much guarantee it. But if you want to be healthier and lose weight as time goes on, this is a great WOE.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
What Mistizoom said.

If you throw in the towel, and scarf up all those carbs you've been avoiding, you'll put those 13 pounds right back on, plus many more. And you'll be back here next year, with maybe much more to lose. SO DON'T QUIT.

I have been doing this for 5 weeks and I haven't lost 13 pounds. I'd be so happy if I did. But I'm not quitting. This is for health. The weight will come off when it's good and ready.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Where will you be if you give up? This needs to be a lifetime committment. There are plenty of weeks I haven't lost. Would I like to lose every week? Sure. But I am doing this for health, and I am sticking to it no matter what the scale says. Your body lost a lot of weight quickly and is playing catch up. But if you are going to give up that easily you might as well quit because you will face disappointment on the scale again, I can pretty much guarantee it. But if you want to be healthier and lose weight as time goes on, this is a great WOE.

I've been back on plan for 17 months now, and I've had weeks in a row when I haven't lost, but if I had given up four weeks in, I wouldn't be over 70 pounds down now. Our bodies aren't machines, to lose the same amount week in, week out. We're complex organisms, and all kinds of things affect how we lose. Hormones, health, quality ad quantity of sleep, stress, water retention, and more and more and more, all play a part.

Keep doing what you've been doing, and it'll happen.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Okay...thanks for the replies. I'm not going to give up. For the poster who asked, yes, I have been doing keto sticks. And they usually show moderate ketones every day. Which really is frustrating, because it seems I am burning fat...so why not movement of numbers.

However.....family was invited to an impromptu BBQ this evening...and I just decided to take a break. I ate a hot dog with bun, some chips, some corn/bean salad and drank a regular soda. Hoping maybe it will kickstart something...but if not, that's okay. I am thinking that I just need a once a month "whatever" day.

Soda was my big thing to give up. Went 4 weeks without one. And while the first few sips were really good...and the rebel in me loved drinking it...I'm good with that one. Could have had more and I passed. I enjoyed it, but I don't feel I am "off the wagon" and have to go back to drinking 3-4 per day.

So with that little burst of sugar...back to LC woe in the morning.

Thanks for all the insight!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:51 AM   #20
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
Last time I did low carb I lost 15 lbs the first two weeks. Then for the next month I didn't lose a single pound, I think I cried. I stuck with it though, and I did end up losing on a regular basis after that. Don't give up! sometimes the body just needs to adjust I think.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:02 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyl View Post
Last time I did low carb I lost 15 lbs the first two weeks. Then for the next month I didn't lose a single pound, I think I cried. I stuck with it though, and I did end up losing on a regular basis after that. Don't give up! sometimes the body just needs to adjust I think.
I think most people are actually losing more FAT in their second month. It's a shame how obsessed we are about the weight which says nothing about how much fat our body has.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Agreed.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ridextreme
Stats: 6/1/14: lost 48 lbs since thanksgiving 2013
WOE: almost zero carbs, eat 2 meals per day 900 cal/day
Start Date: 11/30/13 day aft thankgiving
I actually never weigh myself at all. People are always asking me how much did you lose and I have no idea. I do know that I used to be a size 44 and now I'm a 38 and still going down.

If the numbers are going to discourage you, just don't weigh in so often. Go by the strips and the diet and you will see the results.
ridextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
I think most people are actually losing more FAT in their second month. It's a shame how obsessed we are about the weight which says nothing about how much fat our body has.
I agree...and if the measuring tape was showing a change in the last 2 weeks, I wouldn't have been so discouraged.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #25
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: whippetlady
Stats: 160 ( or more?) Goal is 140 5'5 small frame
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: restarted May 2014
HI there, I am also at the infamous week 2 stall. Weight loss slows, or stops and you think 'dang, I am doing something wrong" , but it WILL pick up again. You have to be committed to your way of eating and keep it going. I will say that quitting at this point is not a good idea. If in another 30 days you are still 'stuck' , feel free to post sample menus. Many of us have hit a wall and are familiar with common traps , or things we do that inhibit the weight loss. Keep a food diary, count those carbs, do not just estimate. Read labels, check carb tables and keep your chin up. It WILL come off!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyl View Post
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post

I've been back on plan for 17 months now, and I've had weeks in a row when I haven't lost, but if I had given up four weeks in, I wouldn't be over 70 pounds down now. Our bodies aren't machines, to lose the same amount week in, week out. We're complex organisms, and all kinds of things affect how we lose. Hormones, health, quality ad quantity of sleep, stress, water retention, and more and more and more, all play a part.

Keep doing what you've been doing, and it'll happen.
Wow, great job!
Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hang in there - it's worth it. A month from now, today will be a memory - and if you continue forward, you'll be even skinnier - just keep marching!

Think of the upcoming summer and being comfortable in your own skin
Think of something special to acknowledge your efforts

sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Now that I've been hanging around here for a while, I see these threads all the time. I am the same way-lost a lot up front and now it's slow. But it's still awesome. Once you realize we all lose at different rates and how different things affect us (everyone's experience is different), you understand that the journey is your own, but you have us along for company and encouragement.

Plus-what's the alternative? That's what I remember whenever I get discouraged.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nikkipowell
Stats: 214/187/160
Start Date: July 2013
Don't give up!

I've been on LC for 9 months & I am losing very slowly, but I am still losing.
I look & feel great so this will be my WOE from now on.
Just hang in & you will start losing again. Everyone loses at a different rate.
Good luck!
nikkipowell is offline   Reply With Quote