LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cjw77
Stats: 264/251/150
WOE: very low carb
Start Date: 5/8/2014
Noob needs suggestions!

so i've been going low carb for about 18 days now. 1st week was tough, had the headaches and cravings but i stuck to 40 carbs and under. I lost about 4 lbs in 10 days. drinking lots of water, herbal teas, and a stevia soda once in a while for soda cravings. Now headaches are gone and cravings are minimal. this last week i've dropped to 12 to 17 carbs, almost all from veggies, and i'm now at a 12lbs loss. my biggest worry is that i am not getting enough fat. Before changing eating habits i almost never ate breakfast, sometimes not lunch, and then gorged at dinner. thats why i'm fat lol. i have been eating breakfast since day one, its very difficult though, sometimes snack for lunch on seeds or berries or cheese, and then have something like a 4 oz salmon fillet and 3/4 c of broccoli with some butter on it. this last week i find i am feeling really full on what i am eating and its getting difficult to get the fat in i need. Calories this week have dipped below 1000 and have wallowed in the 600-700 range. I know this may be dangerous and does have me worried. i've started to add coconut oil to my coffee to boost fat a bit, i cook everything in it as well when i can. any suggestions on higher fat/calorie foods i can get in with out forcing myself to eat bigger or more meals?
cjw77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Some fattier cuts of meat would work, such as dark meat chicken.
Bacon, if not for breakfast, later in the day.

Avocados and olives are also good sources of fat.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

good ideas, thank you. I think my biggest mistake here is choosing too lean of a meat for dinners. I do eat 3-4 pieces of nitrate free bacon and 2-3 free range eggs for breakfast and usually wont have a hunger pang till i get home from work at 4pm.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Salmon is a good fish choice. Sounds like you are doing great, but probably a good idea to be aware of not going too low on calories.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you're feeling 'really full' on what you're eating, I wouldn't worry about either calories or fat.

On low carb, people's appetite often diminishes at the beginning and then increases. There's no 'danger' in eating low calories for a few days.

Eating beyond 'full' is what got most of us into weight problems to begin with, and it's a mistake to 'force' oneself to eat more when satisfied, IMO.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Generally, with low carb diets you need to make sure you hit your protein macro, stay under your carb limit and eat fat to the point you feel full.

If you eat your protein but don't get all the fat in, then don't worry about it. The only exception is if your energy levels start to drop, in which case you should increase fat. Just make sure you do get your protein or you will start losing muscle mass.

Appetite seems to come and go on this diet. Track things for a couple of months and see what your averages are. If you are eating regularly below your recommended caloric intake, then consider something like protein powder shakes and fatbombs.

You might also want to consider bullet proof coffee, tea or broth. It's a great breakfast replacement and is an easy way to increase fat.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I agree with PPs . . . if you are losing and feeling fine, well that's where I'd like to be.
But don't stay super low on calories for a long time. The NK boards suggest ways to calculate you protein needs, based on your goal weight. For me, it's around 75 grams a day.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

i did calculate my protein needs after your suggestion, Patience, it is says about 69 grams. Looking back through my food journal i have been very close to that daily range. I also found how to calculate needed fat and i'm way off the mark, taking in about half of what i should, sometimes less. so i am a little suspicious that some of my weight loss has been muscle. Is bulletproof coffee something i can find in regular grocery stores or is it in specialty stores? thank you so much for all your help guys!
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Bullet proof coffee is really just a recipe. There are many on the web and probably on this site. But basically it's coconut oil and butter blended together with either coffee or tea (bullet proof tea). Sounds kinda gross but some people swear by it. From what I gather the blending allows the fat to emulsify and makes the drink super creamy. Some recipes add in other things like cocoa, cinnamon, etc.

Other suggestions for more fat:
.my first choice is avocado/guacamole (just because I love it ).
.bacon up everything
.use some type of gravy sauce over the meat or veggies. Like a peanut/nutbutter thai sauce, alfredo, etc.
.fat bombs a lot of people make - many recipes for it on the web
.deviled eggs
.cheese, cheese and more cheese

hth

Last edited by webcrystal; 05-26-2014 at 09:37 AM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Drago
Stats: 336/280/235
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Jan 2014
I've recently got into flavored butters to up my fat. I soften up a half stick of butter and throw in some garlic, parsley, chopped jalapenos, etc. Mix it all up until smooth and spread it over the top of my steak. Yum.
Drago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

i have added coconut oil to my coffee last couple days, it just kinda sits on top of the coffee but has been easier to take than just swallowing a spoonful of it lol. i will try blending it, it sounds much better.

the seasoned butter sounds very tasty, will do it!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:59 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Fat bombs.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

made some bullet proof coffee this morning. i only have regular old coffee cant afford to get anything fancy right now, mixed in 2 tbsp of organic butter and a tbsp of coconut oil. i didnt add sweetener, am not big on them, they taste too metallicy to me, but even without was pretty good, very creamy.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Amylynn920
Stats: 280/245/125
WOE: Keto~HF/LC
Start Date: 4/09/2014
I always hit my protein macros first, then if I'm hungry I eat from fats. I keep my carbs below 15g/day. You don't have to eat fat unless you're hungry. Ketosis will burn your body fat, and you want to fuel it with your own fat first.
Amylynn920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
I have used a stick mixer but got tired of cleaning it so I just mix every so often with a spoon. I had stopped for a while and then the posts here reminded me that I need the fat to lose weight faster.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

You can just froth in a cup of water to clean the frother.
I only do it now and then.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
The fat from the coconut oil and cream just sticks to it so badly but I still do it sometimes. Sometimes I froth up the cream separately and put it on top of the coffee with a little sprinkle of cinnamon.
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
I've recently got into flavored butters to up my fat. I soften up a half stick of butter and throw in some garlic, parsley, chopped jalapenos, etc. Mix it all up until smooth and spread it over the top of my steak. Yum.
I do this a lot, and there's an easy way to store it. I cut an inch or so strip from an empty toilet paper cardboard tube. Put a piece of waxed paper in it, then spoon your softened, flavored butter into it. Use the tube to help make it into a cylinder shape, then store it in the fridge, still in the tube. Once it hardens you can take the waxed paper-covered cylinder of flavored butter out of the tube (it'll keep its shape now). It's SO easy to slice off a medallion of flavored butter from the cylinder.

My favorite is fresh or roasted garlic, salt, pepper, and garden herbs like oregano and rosemary.