Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Sea Salt (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/831628-sea-salt.html)

Peace 05-23-2014 09:23 PM

Sea Salt

I keep reading the salt thread. I think I was lacking salt but not sure how much others have per day?

I drink alot of water... sometimes 2 gallons a day, but wondering if I might be losing too much salt. Anyhow, I upped it yesterday and today and felt a bit better.

Has anyone ever retained or gained when they increase salt? Also, does it make a difference if it is not sea salt? I think when I was using table salt, I would retain and bloat, but I dont think that is the case with sea salt or I am fooling myself;))) just because it tastes so good.

RyeBaby 05-24-2014 12:40 AM

Chemically, table salt is the same as sea salt, but they sure taste different, don't they. You can take potassium if you're unsure about increasing your salt intake.

nolcjunk 05-24-2014 05:37 AM

You can retain weight with any salt, but it's just water weight which goes away quickly. Yesterday I completely overdid it with homemade broth (made with celtic sea salt) and today I am a little puffy around the eyes and up one pound.

I need a lot of salt to feel good- otherwise I can feel dizzy and weak.

Patience 05-24-2014 08:00 AM

There are differences between typical table salt and sea salts and mountain salts.
Another thread was discussing this just yesterday.
I am not sure how much difference these differences really make . . . . I use a variety of different kinds of salts.

I need lots of salt too . . . to prevent painful leg cramps.

sbarr 05-24-2014 08:06 AM

Peace - do you really drink 2 gallons a day? :eek:

Why?

ridextreme 05-24-2014 08:09 PM

Sea Salt contains all the natural minerals in salt. One of the best ones is Celtic Sea Salt. It can be found in some health food stores, or order it on line like me.

With regards to Water, I drink half my body weight in ounces per day, and I put a pinch of the sea salt in my mouth and wash it down.

This is knows as The Water Cure.

Peace 05-24-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16920153)
Peace - do you really drink 2 gallons a day? :eek:

Why?

Yes. I think it is more out of habit. Most of the time, I am not even thirsty- bored and dont want to eat.

curious-- how long will it take for DE to start working??

Nady 05-24-2014 09:26 PM

Google *watercure2* click on *Critical Salt Info* for starters.

cfine 05-24-2014 09:49 PM

I also get a pinch of Real salt(Redmonds) when drinking lots of water. It has all of the trace minerals in it. I've used other salts but this is my favorite for taste. It really does make a difference in how I feel.

SugarFreeSheila 05-25-2014 06:36 AM

I'm a salt avoider (for the same reason as any other female lol), but recently added a pinch of sea salt to a big helping of green beans. I've got to say, I loved it!

sbarr 05-25-2014 03:06 PM

Peace - please take this in the spirit I'm writing this - rather than adjusting your salt, please consider drinking less water (2 gallons for a small woman is excessive). Jumping from one perceived problem to another doesn't give you enough time to slow down and figure out if there are issues. Put in context - if you're drinking up to 2 gallons of water a day (note - this weighs 16 pounds), then you could be encountering tight clothes, bloating, weight fluctuations, you name it - these are things you have posted about in the past week.

Salt is entirely individual - nobody here can give you a recommended amount to supplement. Ideally, it should be part of your daily intake regimen without needing to add extra. You will find a thread for every approach or topic from diatomaceous earth to oil pulling to extra salt to oopsie rolls.

I doubt you will want to hear this, but I'm going to stress over and over: MODERATION - this applies to everything in life, whether it be calories, protein, fat, salt, water, exercise. Please, you need to take care of yourself and while we can suggest things based on our own experiences, I think you're looking at a much more complicated situation and I don't think adding salt is going to help you get to grips with your body and your relationship with food. :console:

Nady 05-25-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16921420)
Peace - please take this in the spirit I'm writing this - rather than adjusting your salt, please consider drinking less water (2 gallons for a small woman is excessive). Jumping from one perceived problem to another doesn't give you enough time to slow down and figure out if there are issues. Put in context - if you're drinking up to 2 gallons of water a day (note - this weighs 16 pounds), then you could be encountering tight clothes, bloating, weight fluctuations, you name it - these are things you have posted about in the past week.

Salt is entirely individual - nobody here can give you a recommended amount to supplement. Ideally, it should be part of your daily intake regimen without needing to add extra. You will find a thread for every approach or topic from diatomaceous earth to oil pulling to extra salt to oopsie rolls.

I doubt you will want to hear this, but I'm going to stress over and over: MODERATION - this applies to everything in life, whether it be calories, protein, fat, salt, water, exercise. Please, you need to take care of yourself and while we can suggest things based on our own experiences, I think you're looking at a much more complicated situation and I don't think adding salt is going to help you get to grips with your body and your relationship with food. :console:

Please listen~

From the watercure2 website~
Quote:

The “rule of thumb” for water is half your body weight in ounces taken throughout the day. A little less or even a little more is ok.
The “rule of thumb” for salt is to dissolve 1/8 tsp of salt on our tongue per 16 oz ( ½ liter ) of water that we drink - 1/16 tsp sea salt per 8 oz. of water we drink.
If you have any swelling of your feet, ankles, legs, arms, fingers, eyelids you must stop all salt for 2 to 3 days and just drink the water. The exception to this would be swelling from an injury/accident.

Nady 05-27-2014 09:51 AM

Things you didn't know about salt

Quote:

Vital Functions of Salt in the Body

1. Salt is most effective in stabilizing irregular heartbeats and, Contrary to the misconception that it causes high blood pressure, it is actually essential for the regulation of blood pressure - in conjunction with water. Naturally the proportions are critical.

2. Salt is vital to the extraction of excess acidity from the cells in the body, particularly the brain cells.

3. Salt is vital for balancing the sugar levels in the blood; a needed element in diabetics.

4. Salt is vital for the generation of hydroelectric energy in cells in the body. It is used for local power generation at the sites of energy need by the cells.

5. Salt is vital to the nerve cells' communication and information processing all the time that the brain cells work, from the moment of conception to death.

6. Salt is vital for absorption of food particles through the intestinal tract.

7. Salt is vital for the clearance of the lungs of mucus plugs and sticky phlegm, particularly in asthma and cystic fibrosis.

8. Salt is vital for clearing up catarrh and congestion of the sinuses.

9. Salt is a strong natural antihistamine.

10. Salt is essential for the prevention of muscle cramps.

11. Salt is vital to prevent excess saliva production to the point that it flows out of the mouth during sleep. Needing to constantly mop up excess saliva indicates salt shortage.

12. Salt is absolutely vital to making the structure of bones firm. Osteoporosis, in a major way, is a result of salt and water shortage in the body.

13. Salt is vital for sleep regulation. It is a natural hypnotic.

14. Salt is a vitally needed element in the treatment of diabetics.

15. Salt on the tongue will stop persistent dry coughs.

16. Salt is vital for the prevention of gout and gouty arthritis.

17. Salt is vital for maintaining sexuality and libido.

18. Salt is vital for preventing varicose veins and spider veins on the legs and thighs.

19. Salt is vital to the communication and information processing nerve cells the entire time that the brain cells work - from the moment of conception to death.

20. Salt is vital for reducing a double chin. When the body is short of salt, it means the body really is short of water. The salivary glands sense the salt shortage and are obliged to produce more saliva to lubricate the act of chewing and swallowing and also to supply the stomach with water that it needs for breaking down foods. Circulation to the salivary glands increases and the blood vessels become "leaky" in order to supply the glands with water to manufacture saliva. The "leakiness" spills beyond the area of the glands themselves, causing increased bulk under the skin of the chin, the cheeks and into the neck.

21. Sea salt contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Some of these elements are needed in trace amounts. Unrefined sea salt is a better choice of salt than other types of salt on the market. Ordinary table salt that is bought in the super markets has been stripped of its companion elements and contains additive elements such as aluminum silicate to keep it powdery and porous. Aluminum is a very toxic element in our nervous system. It is implicated as one of the primary causes of Alzheimer's disease.

22. Twenty-seven percent of the body's salt is in the bones. Osteoporosis results when the body needs more salt and takes it from the body. Bones are twenty-two percent water. Is it not obvious what happens to the bones when we're deficient in salt or water or both.

* The information on salt intake is taken from Dr. Batmanghelidj's book, "Water: Rx for a Healthier Pain-Free Life

For everything you want to know about sea salt, google *salts that heal and salts that kill* it's the Salt-Cure Zone link. Summer is coming~ we're going to have 109° today. Find out why just drinking more water isn't good enough! :)

earthcrosser 05-27-2014 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nady (Post 16923221)
For everything you want to know about sea salt, google *salts that heal and salts that kill* it's the Salt-Cure Zone link. Summer is coming~ we're going to have 109° today. Find out why just drinking more water isn't good enough! :)

Thanks! This is great!

I use sea salt and Himalayan pink salt. I never use regular table salt at home.

Arctic_Mama 05-27-2014 06:10 PM

I love salt. All kinds. And fortunately when I'm eating home cooked food salting liberally doesn't make me retain water. It turns out only carbs seem to do that to me, not a salted roast or charcuterie.

Peace 05-27-2014 08:40 PM

Thanks so much for this posting. It really was informative and helped me to understand the importance of sea salt.

I am with you arctic, I feel like it is the processed stuff that makes me retain.

shelby'snana 05-27-2014 09:03 PM

i love salt too..... good to know all the positive effects of it !

DiamondDeb 05-28-2014 06:15 AM

I love sea salt! I don't, as a rule, eat processed foods and enjoy trying different sea salts & keep Himalayan Pink Salt at home, too.

It's been years since I bought table salt. It is not healthy, IMO. Some even contains sugar.

ridextreme 05-28-2014 10:52 AM

*****IMPORTANT*****

i would like to make sure everyone understands: Do not think table salt is the same as the natural sea salt. Table salt is stripped of it's minerals with added chemicals.

Table slat is 99.9% NaCl (sodium-chloride), (chemical as clean as Heroin or White Sugar) . It almost always contain additives, like 0.01% of Potassium-Iodide (added to the salt to avoid Iodine deficiency disease of thyroid gland), Sugar (added to stabilize Iodine and as anti-caking chemical), Aluminum silicate.

The best sea salt is the grey sea salts such as Celtic Sea Salt which contains the most minerals. I am also on the water cure where I drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces per day and put a pinch of sea salt in my mouth before each glass.

One thing that happened to me, since I gave up all carbs and sugar, my cravings for sugar and carbs have been replaced for a craving of salt and spices. Not a bad trade off.

Nady 05-28-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridextreme (Post 16924488)
*****IMPORTANT*****

i would like to make sure everyone understands: Do not think table salt is the same as the natural sea salt. Table salt is stripped of it's minerals with added chemicals.

Table slat is 99.9% NaCl (sodium-chloride), (chemical as clean as Heroin or White Sugar) . It almost always contain additives, like 0.01% of Potassium-Iodide (added to the salt to avoid Iodine deficiency disease of thyroid gland), Sugar (added to stabilize Iodine and as anti-caking chemical), Aluminum silicate.

The best sea salt is the grey sea salts such as Celtic Sea Salt which contains the most minerals. I am also on the water cure where I drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces per day and put a pinch of sea salt in my mouth before each glass.

One thing that happened to me, since I gave up all carbs and sugar, my cravings for sugar and carbs have been replaced for a craving of salt and spices. Not a bad trade off.

On the same note~ Hain, well known for nutritional products, has a *Sea Salt* on grocery store shelves. Read the label~ it has 590mg. sodium per ¼t. just like Morton's. That means it may have been sea salt once, but it's processed and has none of the trace minerals that unprocessed sea salt contains. For improved health, it must be whole sea salt like Celtic~ so don't forget to read the back of the label!

Arctic_Mama 05-28-2014 04:03 PM

Even plain iodized salt has much value. I agree that unprocessed natural sea and rock salts are the best (I have gray sea salt in my grinder and pink salt in my cupboard, along with flake kosher and plain old iodized) but sodium and iodine are beneficial even on their own. Especially on a ketogenic diet full of unprocessed food, it is much easier to have an electrolyte imbalance than on a SAD. We don't need to go whole but neither do we need to burn all Morton's. A nice mix of NuSalt and table salt is just fine for those who can't afford salt at four or five dollars a pound :)