LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ridextreme
Stats: 6/1/14: lost 48 lbs since thanksgiving 2013
WOE: almost zero carbs, eat 2 meals per day 900 cal/day
Start Date: 11/30/13 day aft thankgiving
Inositol / Sugar Alcohol and ketosis

I have been on a diet of under 10 grams carbs and low calories since November and I have been doing great.

I have recently been taking 18g of Inositol Powder to help me with my sleep and anxiety issues (it has been great. They are just about completely gone).

I am a little confused as to how this will effect ketosis. I do feel like I am eating some carbs while I'm on it, although I still test positive (although not as high) with the strips with some tests showing negative at times.

I am having trouble researching the Glycemic index as well as the total and net carbs in this supplement. It tastes like sugar although it is a sugar alcohol and it fills me up as if I cheated on the atkins diet.

Will this effect my progress if I continue with it?
ridextreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
If it is working so well, I'd keep it up. Sometimes the things that keep you sane and healthy are more important than the weight loss, especially if you can work around them.

If you feel the need to count it in your carbs, since it is half as sweet as sugar, I'd count the 18 grams as 9 grams of carbs, unless you can find a source that gives you the actual digestable carb count. Even if you count the full 18, if you are at around 10 per day from food you're still under the optimal 30 gram number. I doubt it is spiking your blood sugar much if you are losing weight.

And thanks for mentioning it, I hadn't looked at Inositol in a long time and may give it a try for my myriad of issues.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I have a breath ketone meter, and I use some xylitol here and there (not the same, but also a sugar alcohol). It does not seem to affect ketosis at all.

Good sleep is important for your health and weightloss, so if that's working, I'd stick with it unless you start to gain weight consistently.

I recently ordered amber glasses to block blue light at night. People swear by them--the blue light tends to interfere with melatonin production. People claim to get really sleepy within about 2 hours of putting on the glasses and claim they sleep better all night. I don't have difficulty getting to sleep, but I have difficulty STAYING asleep, so I'm hoping they will help. I work too late, and I'm too addicted to my "screens" to give them up in the evening.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I have a breath ketone meter, and I use some xylitol here and there (not the same, but also a sugar alcohol). It does not seem to affect ketosis at all.

Good sleep is important for your health and weightloss, so if that's working, I'd stick with it unless you start to gain weight consistently.

I recently ordered amber glasses to block blue light at night. People swear by them--the blue light tends to interfere with melatonin production. People claim to get really sleepy within about 2 hours of putting on the glasses and claim they sleep better all night. I don't have difficulty getting to sleep, but I have difficulty STAYING asleep, so I'm hoping they will help. I work too late, and I'm too addicted to my "screens" to give them up in the evening.
Fascinating….I have problems staying asleep as well.
I would love an update on how these glasses work for you.
Are you able to see screens with them on?
I find it so hard to give up reading on my iPad at night!
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
my son has trouble sleeping and he started taking a timed release Melatonin supplement - he says it helps him stay asleep more.

as for reading .. have you given thought to one of the e-ink readers? I've heard they are easier on the eye.

As for inositol I've only hear that there are negligible carbs and GNC labels theirs as 0 carbs. I've also heard that you should take choline with it as well.
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
my son has trouble sleeping and he started taking a timed release Melatonin supplement - he says it helps him stay asleep more.

as for reading .. have you given thought to one of the e-ink readers? I've heard they are easier on the eye.

As for inositol I've only hear that there are negligible carbs and GNC labels theirs as 0 carbs. I've also heard that you should take choline with it as well.
Thanks I am also taking choline as it helps metabolize fat when taken with inositol.

I didn't know GNC labels it with zero carbs. btw the prices at those stores are too expensive. I buy mine from puritans pride, 5 bottles for around 20 bucks. I also just ordered some from swansons vitamins online, they have more bulk sized and even cheaper.

The inositol is a god send to me. When I first tried it about a year ago I only took a quarter teaspoon a few times a day and it helped a little. I wasn't on the low carb at that time. Now I recently read I should take 18g (about 4 or 5 teaspoons throughout the day) and my anxiety/panic attacks went away, I can sleep like a baby, and I am more sociable instead of quiet and shy. This is like a miracle substance.

If anyone is thinking of trying it, you need to start slowly because your stomach needs to adjust (not that you get pain but you will be running to the bathroom very often the first few days) then gradually build up to 18 grams a day.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I wouldn't worry about it while your intake from food is so low. I can't find info in it either.

If the only thing I knew is that it's a sugar alcohol and I had to guess it's activity, I would do like solar suggested to count each gram of it as half a gram carbs. Is the whole product the active ingredient or are there any other?

Even if you would count it as 9, you are still below 20 grams a day which puts you pretty well in the ketogenic level.

Are you sure you're suppose to take so much of it though? The serving size I found was less than a single gram.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 05-22-2014 at 12:59 AM..
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
I wouldn't worry about it while your intake from food is so low. I can't find info in it either.

If the only thing I knew is that it's a sugar alcohol and I had to guess it's activity, I would do like solar suggested to count each gram of it as half a gram carbs. Is the whole product the active ingredient or are there any other?

Even if you would count it as 9, you are still below 20 grams a day which puts you pretty well in the ketogenic level.

Are you sure you're suppose to take so much of it though? The serving size I found was less than a single gram.
thank you and yes the therapeutic dosage is 18g per day which equals about 4 to 5 teaspoons full of the pure inositol powder. It actually tastes just like sugar and I put my last dosage in a cup of camomile tea at night.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
Fascinating….I have problems staying asleep as well.
I would love an update on how these glasses work for you.
Are you able to see screens with them on?
I find it so hard to give up reading on my iPad at night!
Heather, I'll let you know after I've tried them.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
I downloaded this program for my Mac (it's also available for Windows PCs and the iPad). It ties into the sunrise/sunset in each particular time zone and tones down the light that emanates from the computer so that it mimics the lessening of daylight. It took a little while to get used to it, but now I love it:

https://justgetflux.com/
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote