LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: wants2live
Stats: 294/283.2/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Liver Transplant...can't eat eggs or use sweeteners. What am i going to do

Hello everyone this is my first time on Low carbs friends. My brother is on here and through his constant pushing i finally grew up and listen to him. He has lost 91 lbs so far and it has inspired me. You see I had a Liver Transplant 2 years ago this March. after my surgery i weighed 190lbs before the surgery I was 289...once my taste buds came back I actually started eating my self to death. everything tasted sooooo Good WOW if i could only explain the feeling. but the downside is i was putting fat all around my new Liver Now i have to get the weight off,so i started on Atkins. But, i have a problem..
one is i CAN'T EAT EGGS... so every single morning i have waffles and sausage. Along with this is i can't stomach sweeteners. I have to eat drink eat drink....to keep that nauseating feeling from the back of my throat. This is causing me to not want to stay on the diet... i need to have snacks, my brother makes me a cheese cake...but what about cakes , cookies etc.....the reason i say i need snacks is because when my depression comes i eat sweets. so i want to have sweets in the house so i don't go else where.......
wants2live is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
focus on all of the things you CAN have! Its much more fun. It sounds like you could really benefit from doing some research of recipes and ideas... do yourself a favour and spend the time to do this... I have found many many ideas for myself...

i do not know how long you have been eating this way but the craving for sweets does decrease a lot after a while...

look up naturally sweet foods, or low carb naturally sweet foods, etc...

google away!
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks where's kyla....been trying the low carbs for 2 weeks but the problem is the sweeteners i have used so far... but i will google until the google cows come home....
Old 05-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ella5
For numerous years I ate eggs, generally 2, and often 2 or 3 more a day. From right out of the shell in smoothies, to cooked somehow--fried, scrambled,poached, boiled. Of course many processed foods contain eggs. I ran out of eggs last Dec and decided to not buy any more, because I thought they might be affecting m;y ability to breathe. Then I decided to quit using grains, glutens, starches, dairy, and sugars. My desire for breads, cereals, grains, in every form is gone. Same with the desire for sugar. I do use a little honey in my cocoa, because I use real cocoa powder, not processed swiss miss kinds of cocoa, and I use just enough to alleviate the bitterness. I don't miss eggs at all. It would be nice to eat (deviled) eggs, but I learned I do react to them, and I don't like that. I do eat processed food at times, as a frozen packaged meal, and there are probably eggs, starches, dairy, etc in them. I don't have your situation. You need to consider what YOUR needs are.
Check out some of the other threads here--including It's ______! What's on your menu today" and "Name some benefits of LC other than weight loss" to see what other people eat for various meals and how they've been helped. After a few days or weeks on this way of eating, many people find their body has changed, and cravings are minimal if not gone, hunger is not generally a problem, and there are other benefits to this, including a sense of well being, looser clothing, some health benefits for some folk.
For the first several days, you may have to just tough it out. Keep busy, get out of the house, do some physical work to get beyond. It may take 2-3 days or another one or two. Drink water. Consider NOT eating waffles or anything else that you generally use a sweetener with in some form.
Read the Atkins book, look for information on line for the foods list in the '72 book for induction. It may look pretty sparse, but aren't you talking about your LIFE?
Best wishes.
Ella 5 who, thanks to this way of eating, is, among other things, breathing better and eating better than ever.
ella5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
If you look around on the web, you'll find bloggers and websites dedicated to the "Paleo Autoimmune Protocol". Most of the recipes don't use eggs or artificial sweeteners. They may use natural sweeteners including honey, coconut sugar, and maple syrup. But, if you really want to lose weight, you may have to forego ANY sweeteners for a while, natural or not.

YES, it's hard, but it can be done. And for you, vitally important, because excess carbs cause "non alcoholic fatty liver" disease-- a form of cirrhosis which is not something you want to give your new liver.

I spent the first six months low carb without ANY sweeteners. It was hard, but really good for me. Not only did I lose a lot of weight, but I lost my sweet tooth so I have very low tolerance for sweet things now, and a little goes a long way. That's a great thing for my body.

If you absolutely MUST have something sweet, a handful of low glycemic berries, a tiny slice of melon often do the trick. Or add a tiny bit (really tiny) bit of mashed banana or a date to something. The longer you're away from sugar the more you'll start to be able to taste the natural sweetness in a lot of foods you'd never guess. Brussels sprouts taste like sugar to me!

As for eggs, there are many eggless options for breakfast. Those Paloe AIP's have lots of suggestions--chief among them leftovers from last night's dinner. But there's some really creative recipes and ideas if you use the right search terms.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Stop eating all sweeteners. Your cavings will go away and you wont have the urges to eat carby crap when depressed. It IS hard at first, but if you push through, it gets SO much easier. Low carb is completely doable without eggs or sweeteners. (My diet is by far more restricted due to unusual allergies and sensitivities, but i still make it work, so i know you can too.)
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/133/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
Quote:
Originally Posted by where's_kyla? View Post
focus on all of the things you CAN have! Its much more fun. It sounds like you could really benefit from doing some research of recipes and ideas... do yourself a favour and spend the time to do this... I have found many many ideas for myself...

i do not know how long you have been eating this way but the craving for sweets does decrease a lot after a while...

google away!
Thinking forward helps me to remain positive and not crave the things I used to eat. Getting excited about new recipes is helpful, too. Good luck!
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:11 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
Welcome to the board! There's a lot of great information here, so spend some time looking around.

You need to address the issue of your depression. Depression can be common after surgery, and you've been through a lot. Maybe an antidepressant would help. I wish you the bes.t
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:18 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by where's_kyla? View Post

google away!
good post cause it is all about what you can have!!

you have a massive good motivation factor here. you had a liver transplant which is no small matter at all. It is now time to EAT TO LIVE. You got a huge break in life living thru something major, I think it is absolutely time to focus on the positive and eat properly for your body.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU...you can do this !!!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009

I only would like to add that low carb can and likely will improve your moods. It is a common result. You may want to read one of the many low carb books that describe the many benefits.

Visit here often for support and great information! This is a really great group!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella5 View Post
For numerous years I ate eggs, generally 2, and often 2 or 3 more a day. From right out of the shell in smoothies, to cooked somehow--fried, scrambled,poached, boiled. Of course many processed foods contain eggs. I ran out of eggs last Dec and decided to not buy any more, because I thought they might be affecting m;y ability to breathe. Then I decided to quit using grains, glutens, starches, dairy, and sugars. My desire for breads, cereals, grains, in every form is gone. Same with the desire for sugar. I do use a little honey in my cocoa, because I use real cocoa powder, not processed swiss miss kinds of cocoa, and I use just enough to alleviate the bitterness. I don't miss eggs at all. It would be nice to eat (deviled) eggs, but I learned I do react to them, and I don't like that. I do eat processed food at times, as a frozen packaged meal, and there are probably eggs, starches, dairy, etc in them. I don't have your situation. You need to consider what YOUR needs are.
Check out some of the other threads here--including It's ______! What's on your menu today" and "Name some benefits of LC other than weight loss" to see what other people eat for various meals and how they've been helped. After a few days or weeks on this way of eating, many people find their body has changed, and cravings are minimal if not gone, hunger is not generally a problem, and there are other benefits to this, including a sense of well being, looser clothing, some health benefits for some folk.
For the first several days, you may have to just tough it out. Keep busy, get out of the house, do some physical work to get beyond. It may take 2-3 days or another one or two. Drink water. Consider NOT eating waffles or anything else that you generally use a sweetener with in some form.
Read the Atkins book, look for information on line for the foods list in the '72 book for induction. It may look pretty sparse, but aren't you talking about your LIFE?
Best wishes.
Ella 5 who, thanks to this way of eating, is, among other things, breathing better and eating better than ever.
i have been gratefully lifted in my change of life....not THE change of life...all man here Lol....i go to the V.A 3 times a week and use the gym and pool. just want you to know that i really appreciate your advice. wants2live
Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
good post cause it is all about what you can have!!

you have a massive good motivation factor here. you had a liver transplant which is no small matter at all. It is now time to EAT TO LIVE. You got a huge break in life living thru something major, I think it is absolutely time to focus on the positive and eat properly for your body.
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU...you can do this !!!
yes i do have a serious motivation not only for myself but for my kids, who always asking how i feel and so on.....i think the title might have given everyone the idea i was giving up....i some times feel that way but it's not what i want to do if you understand me...i will never give up,NEVER. with the help of this community in how it has show me front the front steps you are here ONLY to support me. i feel the more i talk and get through the front door it will be the the thing i need to live my life healthy and strong.......
Old 05-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily-D View Post
Welcome to the board! There's a lot of great information here, so spend some time looking around.

You need to address the issue of your depression. Depression can be common after surgery, and you've been through a lot. Maybe an antidepressant would help. I wish you the bes.t
I am getting plenty of help at the V.A . i am so happy and over whelmed by the support i have been given and getting. i can feel this page up with so many stories of how i had 1 month to live and my Dr. pushed and pushed till he got me in Pittsburgh and getting turned down by the board to be able to get on the list for the Liver and and and......so much. i so thankful to the V.A and thankful that i served this country....i will stay close to this board because i feel all the real warmth and concern and know i can get advice and help and also to be here to give advice for paying it forward..........
Old 05-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
First of all Thank You For Your Service. And I'm glad the VA actually helped you out ...

As for food choices. One advice I would give is to relearn your idea about breakfast. It is just a time to eat, it doesn't have to be a typical breakfast food choice. It's a hard habit to break but most breakfast foods were chosen because they are quick, easy to make and cheap. Eat anything that strikes your fancy.

However if you want to stick to something traditional breakfast like:
Mock Danish, Cauliflower Hashbrowns, One minute muffins, LC pancake (made with cream cheese). You can make oopsie rolls to act as a biscuit and make a lc sausage "gravy". Meat rollups (sliced nitrate free luncheon/breakfast meat, rolled up around cheese/cream cheese, pickle, etc.).

Many of these recipes (and variations) can be found in our recipe room.

As for sweets - if you can have peanut butter you might consider flourless peanut butter cookies. Peanuts have a pretty strong flavor so if you don't over do the sweets then it may mask the flavor for you.

One thing to note is that some art. sweetners taste better if you use more than one in combination and/or use the liquid versions.

And also ensure that you've eliminated grains and other inflammatory type foods (which you probably already know for the transplant).

hth....

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/133/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wants2live View Post
But, i have a problem..
one is i CAN'T EAT EGGS... so every single morning i have waffles and sausage. ......
I've been thinking... What if you replaced the waffles with bullet proof coffee and maybe a handful of almonds or macadamias? Has anyone already suggested making extra dinner the night before so you can have leftovers for bfast? Let us know how its all working for you.
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
If I were a transplant recipient, I would probably be inclined to follow a more paleo way of eating. I'd stick to lean proteins, veggies (excluding all legumes and white potatoes) and some low-sugar fruits. On occasion, I'd have a "splurge" of sweet potato or higher sugar fruit. I'd steer clear of bananas though. fwiw And glad you are here to share in the journey!!!
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:53 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ceb65
Are you allergic to eggs? Can you eat foods prepared with eggs in them? Need more info to think of more food options. Have you tried monk fruit sweetener? Its made from an Asian fruit. I buy skinny girl brand. Its actually pretty good, as I don't like artificial sweeteners.
ceb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb65 View Post
Are you allergic to eggs? Can you eat foods prepared with eggs in them? Need more info to think of more food options. Have you tried monk fruit sweetener? Its made from an Asian fruit. I buy skinny girl brand. Its actually pretty good, as I don't like artificial sweeteners.
I was going to ask this also...can you not eat egg because you are allergic or you just don't like plain cooked eggs...as I am sur there are eggs in the waffles.

Truvia is a sweetener made with erythritol....it is very low glycemic index and tastes and looks like sugar to me...liquid sucralose has less of an after taste than the powedred because the powder filler has a lot of after taste. maybe get some ez sweets, truvia or davinci or torani plain syrups to to whatyou can tolerate...

Check out our recipe room for good snack alternatives if you need...I make awesome almond cookies and I do eat waffles.

Waffle are 2tbs almond flour
1tbs coconut flour
1 tbs protein powder
1 tbs ground flax
1 tbs erythritol(truvia)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
mix in water as needed a lil at a time...batter should be very thick...cook in waffle maker...I have a cheap one and it works great...you can also use this as a quick bread or muffin mix.

We can get you through this...your liver is your priority and you need to do what you have to do to keep you and it healthy.

I do think you should try to do a 2 week induction to get rid of some of the sweet cravings.

There are books out there and I know some one can offer the name of the book that helps with supplementing to help with depression.

Just remember the more sweet you eat the more sweet you want...sweet things medicate us and our bodies just crave more.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werkn'it View Post
I've been thinking... What if you replaced the waffles with bullet proof coffee and maybe a handful of almonds or macadamias? Has anyone already suggested making extra dinner the night before so you can have leftovers for bfast? Let us know how its all working for you.
what is bullet proof coffee Lol....any way don't drink coffee if that's what it is. the Almonds and Macadamias won't work.........NO TEETH, lmao and i hate trying to eat with my smile and talk teeth.... but i may try the dinner for breakfast....thanks
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Bullet Proof coffee is coffee that has coconut oil and butter (plus maybe vanilla, a.s., cocoa) blended in a blender. The blending emulsifies the oil/butter into something really creamy.

If you don't like coffee some people drink it with tea instead (BP tea).
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb65 View Post
i used to eat eggs with no issues until recently so i really don't know. i tried some tuna with a hard boiled egg and i got sick,,,,i haven't tried monk fruit, maybe i will.....
Old 05-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I was going to ask this also...can you not eat egg because you are allergic or you just don't like plain cooked eggs...as I am sur there are eggs in the waffles.

Truvia is a sweetener made with erythritol....it is very low glycemic index and tastes and looks like sugar to me...liquid sucralose has less of an after taste than the powedred because the powder filler has a lot of after taste. maybe get some ez sweets, truvia or davinci or torani plain syrups to to whatyou can tolerate...

Check out our recipe room for good snack alternatives if you need...I make awesome almond cookies and I do eat waffles.

Waffle are 2tbs almond flour
1tbs coconut flour

1 tbs protein powder
1 tbs ground flax
1 tbs erythritol(truvia)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
mix in water as needed a lil at a time...batter should be very thick...cook in waffle maker...I have a cheap one and it works great...you can also use this as a quick bread or muffin mix.

We can get you through this...your liver is your priority and you need to do what you have to do to keep you and it healthy.

I do think you should try to do a 2 week induction to get rid of some of the sweet cravings.

There are books out there and I know some one can offer the name of the book that helps with supplementing to help with depression.

Just remember the more sweet you eat the more sweet you want...sweet things medicate us and our bodies just crave more.
i will try the waffle mix but without the egg....didn't know there were books that ties food with depression...i would like to check that out...good info thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Train View Post
If I were a transplant recipient, I would probably be inclined to follow a more paleo way of eating. I'd stick to lean proteins, veggies (excluding all legumes and white potatoes) and some low-sugar fruits. On occasion, I'd have a "splurge" of sweet potato or higher sugar fruit. I'd steer clear of bananas though. fwiw And glad you are here to share in the journey!!!
curious as to why you believe i should go this route.....
Old 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
First of all Thank You For Your Service. And I'm glad the VA actually helped you out ...

As for food choices. One advice I would give is to relearn your idea about breakfast. It is just a time to eat, it doesn't have to be a typical breakfast food choice. It's a hard habit to break but most breakfast foods were chosen because they are quick, easy to make and cheap. Eat anything that strikes your fancy.

However if you want to stick to something traditional breakfast like:
Mock Danish, Cauliflower Hashbrowns, One minute muffins, LC pancake (made with cream cheese). You can make oopsie rolls to act as a biscuit and make a lc sausage "gravy". Meat rollups (sliced nitrate free luncheon/breakfast meat, rolled up around cheese/cream cheese, pickle, etc.).

Many of these recipes (and variations) can be found in our recipe room.

As for sweets - if you can have peanut butter you might consider flourless peanut butter cookies. Peanuts have a pretty strong flavor so if you don't over do the sweets then it may mask the flavor for you.

One thing to note is that some art. sweetners taste better if you use more than one in combination and/or use the liquid versions.

And also ensure that you've eliminated grains and other inflammatory type foods (which you probably already know for the transplant).

hth....
YOU ARE VERY WELCOMED