Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
Goal Reached !!!! then unreached. :(

GOod morning LCers. Haven't posted in a while just wanted to stop in and share my experience, which is ongoing

So a couple weeks ago I reached my goal of 185lbs. Total loss of 70lbs since the new years. Felt amazing, Size 34 jeans, in my old clothes. Top of the world.
As expected because I lost the weight so quickly, I have not broken my love affair with food. I allowed myself to celebrate a little bit. A little bit turned in to 8 days. I'm lucky enough that 8 days of pretty significant binging (Regular Coke, Pizza, Cheeseburgers, Fries) only made me gain 5 pounds. I was expecting much worse.

I had a feeling I wasn't quite ready to introduce other foods, so I've decided to try to get down to 175lbs now, not because I necessarily need the weight loss, but I need more time to break the cycle. I'm never going to be LC for life, unfortunately that's just not something I will do, and in another post we had a nice discussion about transitioning to other ways of eating etc. So I am just not ready to move to something else yet.

I also wanted to share a few recipes/foods I ate a lot of during my weight loss. People have inquired because I lost it so quick, but remember, every body is different, so it all comes off at different rates. I also don't eat ANY vegetables, so its every harder to do LC

Biscuits and gravy - modified carbquik biscuits (I add an egg, baking powder, cut in butter, and mix in cream and water). Sausage gravy with HWC a little milk, sausage, salt and pepper and carbquik/butter as a rue. VERY good.

Sh*t on a shingle - I use the same gravy above, except sub in dried beef cut in pieces for the sausage. Then I use GLCBC bread and cube that after toasting. A favorite of mine.

Smoked Ribs - no explanation needed.

Fried Chicken Wings - I buy the Costco wings and fry em up. I use any number of zero carb wing sauces from the store like Hooters, or Jim Beam (very good)

Onion Pocket turkey sandwich - GLCBC onion pocket (are amazing) with carving board turkey , 2 slices of baby Swiss Sargento cheese, with mayo (add lettuce etch if you want). VERY good sandwich and quite filling.

Bagels and Cream Cheese - GLCBC sesame bagels w/ either regular cream cheese, or I take a tub of cream cheese and at a 1/8 cup or so of low sugar strawberry jam and make a strawberry cream cheese.

Omelets - Cubed ham eggs cheese (extra sharp cheddar Sargento cheese, adds good flavor and firmness)

Grilled beef tenderloins - I buy the full tenderloin at Costco and cut it myself. I buy the fat on etc, so I can get stew meat etch out of the scraps.

Chocolate Mouse - HWC w/ cocoa powder and a little French vanilla SF syrup (sometimes I use caramel for a different taste) whip it. Sometimes I freeze it, and its a lot like Ice cream.

Bacon bacon bacon - nuff said.

Toast w/ PB2 chocolate - Toast up some GLCBC toast (sesame) lather it with butter and mix up some PB2 chocolate. Tastes really good and its a real treat for a LCer.

Peanuts and Sunflower seeds

Hard boiled eggs

Deviled Eggs

Pizza.- Yep, PIZZA - GLCBC pizza crust (I cut it in half to make it thin crust, I think its too thick). Sauce (limit the amount), toppings and cheese. I will generally butter the bottom of a pizza pan and halfway through cooking remove the crust from the pan and put it right on the rack. Makes it nice and crispy. WHo thought you could eat pizza that is literally 12-15 crabs for the whole freaking thing (which I rarely finish).

Coffee with HWC and French Vanilla Torani Syrup

Can't think of more, but I'm sure there are some I'm missing.

I would really love to mix Atkins bars (not the indulge with glycerin) as I really like them. I'm thinking about trying them again.

If you got this far. Thanks for reading.

Not sure there was an overall point to this, but I haven't talked to anyone lately about the experience I have had, and am having.
Thanks for listening.
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Congrats on the 70lbs loss

Are you an all or nothing eater? I kind of am, but what I do know for sure, is that the 'all' approach, packs the pounds back on tout suite
I'm pretty much at goal now, and thankfully have lost my taste for carbs, right now - but who know's what little slips here and there will lead me to…..
Which is why I want to go 5 lbs lower with my weight loss, to allow for those fluctuations for when I do decide to partake of the carbs and alcohol, of which I know I will.
I think the key is being mindful of the impact of the carby stuff, and knowing when to reign it back. Good Luck!
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fat2Fit38
Stats: current weight: 208, Goal: 145
WOE: On my own!
Start Date: 18 April 2014
Thanks for sharing your experience. This is what I worry of the most. I have often wondered if this lifestyle is sustainable for most of us. Its so easy to be tempted when you have "convenience" foods all around. Its also easy when you have known nothing but the sugar monster your whole life-running your world. My issue comes in from having no choice but to change my intake of sugar....and it has rocked my world. i've already lost a decent amount, not made goal-yet but am trying not to set myself up for failure. Its all about changing it up and keeping it interesting. We need more recipes, and more options as LC'ers. Good luck to you and AWESOME for reaching your goals! I wish you only the best in the future in keeping with your lifestyle!
Fat2Fit38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you ladies

I am ABSOLUTELY an all or nothing eater. I'm an all or nothing person. I don't get in to hobbies that I don't go from spending 400 bucks on something to 1500 in the next two weeks. Or with running. I started running in the summer of 2008 having not ran for 20 years and ran 2 halts and a full marathon inside 3 months. I just don't know how to moderate haha.
So yeah that's my biggest concern.

I'm the same was as you are Suzanne. I'm dropping 10 more to allow myself some wiggle room. I have vowed to NEVER go above 200 again. Under 200 I feel healthy and stable (big build). But at 175, I have the room to move around a few pounds and not encroach on that 200 mark.

Keep up the good work ladies you are both beautiful (seriously stunning) regardless of the scale, but self image sure does feel a hell of a lot better at a goal weight
Old 04-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Great loss!

now the HARDEST work begins! HOW to keep that loss? hmmm...been there, I know it is hard to find that balance. I am also an all or nothing type. Give me an inch and I WILL take the mile regardless of circumstances

it takes work to find what works in your lifestyle to hold that loss.

maybe consider a 4:3 type. 4 days LC all the way baby and 3 days of 'within reason mod. carbs'. just suggestions on how you will find your point of 'happy' to get thru this long term.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I'm absolutely willing to entertain ideas. Ive considered just switching to low calorie which I've done before and then allowing some wiggle a couple times a week.
I'm lucky enough that I can still eat 2500 calories a day and maintain my weight. So that's an option.

Ive always thought the Low carb 4 days 3 moderate, or 5 and 2 or whatever would never allow me to remain in ketosis and thus mitigating going LC in the first place.

Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Why do you need to be in ketosis?

If you are in long term maintenance, I don't see why that would matter. Wouldn't finding a carb count that works for you be better? Or maybe that CAD thing where you can eat whatever for one meal a day but low carb the rest of the day?

Personally, I just do 90/10 without really keeping track. My entire week has been low carb except Friday night when I had a "date night" with my hubby and I ate whatever I wanted...
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I always thought the idea of low carb was to be in ketosis for maximum benefit. Not to say it isn't still healthy to eat low carb and not be in ketosis, but wouldn't it be better to be in it?
Just thinking out loud here.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
ketosis is a goal for many. to stay in it for life. but that is not a rule one has to live by in order to be lc.

remember also that atkins in the end (with the carb ladder) says maintenance people can be in the 70 net carb range per day. that isn't ketosis.

I think the key for low carb is getting away from the SAD diet. benefit mostly of ketosis for 'dieter' types is that hunger suppression. when one starts to climb that carb ladder, if you are the type that can lose control with carbs and trigger cravings etc....then it could be an issue definitely.

being lc without ketosis is still a huge benefit from the old way of eating. I think the key issue is what will work for you to maintain. it is all about that maintenance to truly find a real life menu that will work in your life and make you happy and one you can control.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
Start Date: Feb, 2013

This: "I think the key for low carb is getting away from the SAD diet."

Once you're at goal, and sounds like you were 5 pounds ago, it's the second big experiment, imo. The first one was how to lose it, then it's how to maintain it.

It's great that you are choosing to re-evaluate at 5 pounds up after a bit of a carb binge. When I get to goal, and I'm getting close, I've already decided 5 pounds up will be the maximum I will allow before I jump back on a tighter LC plan and get back to goal.

You have a great list here of foods that are yummy to you, and helped you lose 70 pounds. (you talked me into trying the GLCBC pizza crust, love your thin crust idea) Eat them again till you lose that 5 pounds. Then the experiment continues.

What's worth it to you? How important is it to have those carbs and when? You can learn all that and fall into a maintenance woe that works over time.
I think the key is giving yourself a 5 lb gain limit. You may not see yourself ever eating LC for life, but the truth is you're probably going to have to eat LC in some modified way, or gain back all that weight. You don't want to do that, believe me.

So experiment away, just put the lid on it when the "experimenting" is getting out of hand.