Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Do you still have moments you start to crave carbs?

Suddenly I've been thinking about carby foods like daily for a while now.

I've been on this for almost 5 months now and I haven't been thinking about carbs as much since like the first month.

I think it's that damn podcast about carb-nite. For a short moment I had a "maybe I can have my cake and eat it too" and ever since PIZZA and M&M's have been stuck on my mind. I guess it says a lot about how terrible idea it is for me if only the thought effects me this much.

So yeah I thought I was kinda over this but suddenly I have a difficult time.

P.s. I think I might be having a mild flu right now so maybe that's effecting it as well.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Sometimes I'll be cooking something and I'll automatically go for a carb ingredient or feel like I need to 'complete' a meal with a carb. It can make me long for whatever it is that I can't/won't eat but so far I've managed to remind myself it's not nearly as good as it seems in my head.

I also find if I start craving carbs then it's usually variety I'm missing. Trying a new recipe or ingredient helps a lot with that.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I am sorry you are struggling with carb cravings. They can be brutal. I have found since reading Michael Moss' Salt, Sugar, Fat, that I really don't want to eat that stuff anymore. Truly. It doesn't hurt that I am borderline diabetic. (The Dr.'s want to say I am but I reject their reality!)

I like the idea backseat, had. Try something new. Make something decandant but low carb.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Make pizzas on a one minute muffin? I could totally see that working..and quick..Atkins has some kind of M&M sub.
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
I am good until I think about something, I know I don't want that junk back in my body, but it is still a mind struggle, I agree expand your menu, I have to try receipes out or I couldn't handle it.
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I don't crave carbs.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I forgot to mention that you should search for 'holy grail pizza crust' on Google. It's a great recipe and tastes better than the carb version. I've also heard Atkins does some sugar free M&Ms. Maybe that will get it out of your system?

I still think the idea or maybe the *habit* of carbs is better than the reality. Silly stomach is just slow on the uptake.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:51 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
I also tend to look for carb replacements when I'm craving sweetness or dough-like texture. For example, I don't take sweeteners on a daily basis, but every once in a while (month, 6 weeks or so) I'll microwave some ground flaxseed/almonds, cocoa, cream and xylitol and enjoy a gooey, thick, comforting dessert.

I have also made a low carb pizza, and I use shirataki noodles (spaghetti, fetuccine and rice) on a weekly basis.

It is important to note that these are all LOWER* carb options, and not as low carb as just meat, veg and butter, so I only use them occasionally - to satisfy that craving in a safer way!

ETA: * except the shirataki noodles, which are extremely low in carbs and any form of nutrition.

Last edited by Larissima; 04-24-2014 at 03:53 AM..
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
not killer cravings, but sure, I think about all the tons of foods I gave up. every now and then I 'want' something others are eating
lc is for me tho, so 90% of the time that is what I am doing, the other 10% might be a sneak of a fry off kid's plate if we eat out.
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have to say that I really don't crave 'carbs' at all anymore.

I do think that major stress has in the past, been something that would make me feel hungry and maybe think about carbs but no actual cravings.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I still definitely have moments of carb craving. They usually pass, or I can make a low carb substitute. It isn't the same as it was when I was still on sugar and it was a physiological response - now my carb cravings are primarily mental. Not sure if that is easier to manage, though
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Yep. I crave pasta almost every day, but I don't eat it. Also sushi rolls, which I did have on my last day of vacation yesterday. I draw the line at pasta though. Don't think I've had it in a long, long time and don't really plan to.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
So far, this time around I haven't had any serious cravings. But I've only been on-plan for 3 months, so I'm not gonna be cocky about it .

After about a year of low-carbing in the past, I'd have full-on sensory DREAMS where I was eating carbs. Then I'd wake up feeling a little panicky and guilty .

If I were you and my cravings were so specific (M&M's and pizza), I'd buy a serving of sugar-free peanut-chocolate candy, and either make a substitute pizza recipe or go out for pizza and just eat the toppings. I used to do both of these things at least once a month without slowing my weight loss.

Stay strong! I know you can ride out these cravings one way or another.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
There are two excellent pizza crust potential recipes in the recipe forum. I make homemade pizza with lots of toppings piled on for my non-lc family and friends all the time. They have no idea. Look up two recipes- one is super easy- cheesy almond rounds. Make the recipe, and instead of pressing it in to muffintop tins, press it all together and flat, and bake. The other one is buttoni's foccacia bread recipe. I can stack sauce, cheese, roasted garlic, carmelized onions, spinach, green peppers, artichoke hearts, griled sliced chicen, and more cheese on top, and it holds up beautifully! But better, it really tastes good.

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I've made 3 attempts to make a low-carb pizza and each time I couldn't finish more than a slice because it tasted so bad.

I only like a specific M&M, the peanut butter one, and there isn't a low-carb version of that.

Don't worry I'm not gonna fall off the wagon, I just had to share my annoyance with this right now.

leeloo: Ahhh I've also had these dreams. The weird thing is I wake up with the overwhelming feeling of guilt, then shortly after I realize why I feel that way. Those dreams actually help because they remind me of how I will feel if I fall off the wagon.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
I've made 3 attempts to make a low-carb pizza and each time I couldn't finish more than a slice because it tasted so bad...
You, sir, have not tried the RIGHT recipe!
We made two kinds of this on Easter:
Thin & Crispy Pizza Crust! Easiest EVER! Pics included!

My DH is a pizza snob, and my (nearly) 7 year old boy will NOT eat anything that even remotely 'tastes funny,' and he love-loves pizza. My boy had seconds of the pepperoni version. The scrambled egg/cheese/bacon pizza I did not try, but my non-LC neighbors that came over for brunch raved about it.

Try it. I'm just not kidding about how good it was!

I did macro counts here:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...kslide-47.html

Last edited by MsKitty; 04-24-2014 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: I forgot to complete a thought. How unusual. :P
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
MsKitty is right Geiri. That is my go too crust since I found the recipe. I use this recipe and then add in what Jacksmixedtape suggested. 1 Tbsp coconut flour and 1 Tbsp of flax meal (per egg). It really is the best low carb crust ever! And you can make a smaller trial size one.

As for peanut butter and chocolate. Can you get Lily's chocolate there? If not, try an ounce of dark Lindt chocolate and add some peanut butter. Good be a great snack!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larissima
Stats: Waist: 110/100/75cm, 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 21 Jan 2014
For peanut M&M, how about a square of 80% chocolate and a teaspoon of peanut-only (no sugar or other oil) peanut butter? It's under 4g carbs for a strong flavoured, healthy treat! It fits even into my NK plan...

ETA: Oops, had this thread open for hours before responding, I didn't see your post snowangel9. Great minds think alike!

Last edited by Larissima; 04-24-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Larissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

I get carbmares, my last one involved a hidden bag of twix, and I would pick one up, throw it in trash bag, over and over and eventually I opened one and then threw that one away, I never did eat one in the dream! I guess that's progress, usually it involves me eating something and waking up upset lol.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
leeloo: Ahhh I've also had these dreams. The weird thing is I wake up with the overwhelming feeling of guilt, then shortly after I realize why I feel that way. Those dreams actually help because they remind me of how I will feel if I fall off the wagon.
Dreams are weird, eh? I've also had full-on cigarette smoking dreams in the past. I sure did love smoking......

If you ever do fall off the wagon, I hope you don't feel overwhelming guilt. I think beating oneself up makes it more likely that one will keep making bad choices, not less likely. Personally, when I've failed to stick to LC (so many times), I think things like "OMG, I can't believe that I had all those fries at happy hour! Well, the damage is done, I'm fat anyway, I'll never be able to stick to LC! I guess I'll just go to the convenience store and get a pint of ice cream, a bag of potato chips, and a box of Good & Plenty licorice." Then I'd eat it all.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I am so trying that pizza crust. I really miss pizza....I've had it like twice in the past 8 weeks and felt ok afterwards...I just don't want to waste my carbs on it.

Geiri- I was just in the fat bomb thread in the NK forum. There are some great alternatives for your peanut/choco craving. I'm stopping at the grocery store on my way home and getting the ingredients!!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
For me, I get carb cravings when I let my carb consumption non-intentionally go slightly higher. The small difference in carb consumption makes huge differences in my cravings.

One strategy that worked for me was to eat when I craved, but that I ate the tastiest LC food that I could find - for me it is shellfish drowned in butter. Even though I'm not craving the seafood it tastes so good when I eat it that the craving always just seems to go away.
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #23
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
No, I don't really have carb cravings.

But cravings for dairy, especially cheese, may haunt me for the rest of my life.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

For my pizza crust I use the rev roll recipe, only use the mayo instead of cottage cheese, less carbs, I don't whisk the egg whites because I don't want it to be like a roll needs to be flat, I added some garlic, onion powder.. My own problem was the ground beef I used the fat went down and made crust soggy..
Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I don't crave carbs.
.???
What was the purpose of this post? She's looking for ideas to help.
Lisa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:35 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Yes. Even after 16 months of no carbs other than non-starchy vegies, I do still experience cravings here and there. I've had to change my lifestyle along with my diet.

For example, I noticed that I struggled with cravings in the evening. Coincidentally, that's when I'd watch tv...with all their food related ads. We got rid of our tv a year ago March and 'most' of my cravings subsided.

I no longer go to the theater to see movies because the popcorn will trigger my cravings to the point where all I can think about for days afterward is carbs...not just popcorn, but all carbs that I miss.

Our house is a carb free zone. My family eats the way I do. If they want carbs when we go out to a restaurant or when they're out and about without me, no big deal to me. I just can't have them in my home or I start obsessing about them. I've been teaching a couple culinary classes at the local college and it doesn't bother me to be around them there. I don't even have a problem doing a tiny 'taste' test to check for seasoning needs because my brain can handle the temporary access I have to these carbs. Not so much if they're staring me in the face at home.

If I'm invited to dinner somewhere, I have no problem asking them what they're having as I have special dietary needs. I still have to take my own salad to my mother-in-law's because she thinks a salad is healthy and doesn't get that I can't have the dried cherries, croutons and the salad dressing she makes with a 'tiny' bit of sugar.

Some days the carb cravings 'just are' and may be due to 'habit'. For example, the first days of fall/winter make me want to make carb laden dishes. I tend to eat more and higher fat to compensate and I don't guilt myself with the fact that I may have eaten 300 calories more that day than I should (and calories do make a difference with me so that's a huge deal to ignore them).

In the end, it usually comes down to willpower, but (like alcoholics) I take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time. That I can do.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:08 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M View Post
.???
What was the purpose of this post? She's looking for ideas to help.
The idea was to answer her question. She asked if anyone craved carbs. Geez.

I did not have time to add suggestions to help her out. Sorry Geiri!!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
MsKitty is right Geiri. That is my go too crust since I found the recipe. I use this recipe and then add in what Jacksmixedtape suggested. 1 Tbsp coconut flour and 1 Tbsp of flax meal (per egg). It really is the best low carb crust ever! And you can make a smaller trial size one.

As for peanut butter and chocolate. Can you get Lily's chocolate there? If not, try an ounce of dark Lindt chocolate and add some peanut butter. Good be a great snack!
Hi snow

This looks great.. Going to try it.

Geiri-- did the carb cravings pass? I hope so.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dunginhawk
I would recommend the GLCBC pizza crust gut in half to make it thinner. I think its 10x better than any cheese based crust and it can crisp up nicely if you butter the pan and remove the pan halfway through cooking.
I'm eating pizza once a week and have lost 70lbs. Have at it man
If I'm lazy I juse GLCBC sesame bagels and do pizza bagels.
2 bagels halfs sauce, cheese and toppings less than 8 carb
dunginhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Over it now.

But now all I can think about is the sugar-free chocolate I'm suppose to have occasionally but have had three days in a row to make up for not having my Pepsi Max anymore (just gave that up). I think it's just temporary though while adjusting to having less sweetness on the menu (and no caffeine).

Is it possible to change your nickname here? Everybody keeps thinking I'm a female