Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: HappyisNow
Wrecked My Metabolism...Please Help!!

I've been a dieter for about 20 years now so I pretty much know what works and what doesn't for my body, which is why I have to acknowledge that my body is in trouble here.

Last year I had a fairly decent stint with medifast. I managed to shed 15 pounds in a little over a month, and that felt great. However, I missed food. I missed being satisfied and it that to me was a huge deal. So after I came back from vacation 6 months ago, I've been going hard core back and forth with low carbing, finding the results not fast enough, and going to my medifast, being hungry and giving up.

So now remember how I said I know my body? I've been re-commited to low carb, ketogenic actually, where I'm upping my fat. For two weeks now nothing has happened to the scale. I mean nothing. Once my scale moved down 0.4lb. But this morning it was right back at 203.

I know from my past low carb experience that I should have lost at least a few lbs by now. so I'm fairly certain I've ruined my body.

What should I do? I'm afraid to do anything more extreme but I'm soooo upset and angry over what I've done to myself!
HappyisNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
You can't compare "then" and "now" because your body changes all the time.
If you're happy with your foods, know you're "doing it right", then stick with it a few more weeks and see what happens
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #3

Gallery: Gracie514
Stats: 214.6/198/194.6 SECOND GOAL!!!
WOE: HCG- highest wt 250 lbs!!!
Start Date: 1/1/2014 LC 2/17/14 Hhcg
Can you post some of your menu's? Sometimes we're not as low carb as we think.

And unfortunately the older we get, the harder it is. Hormones, schedules, etc. play a role in it. Don't get discouraged! Try to think of it as you're doing it for your health and the weight loss is just a nice side effect.
Gracie514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #4

I don't do a typical breakfast lunch dinner menu because I work night shift.

I would have rotisserie chicken as a main course throughout the day. Recently I started doing yummy fat bombs with mascarpone cheese, cocoa powder, splenda and coffee extract.

I would snack on mozarella if I get hungry during the day.

The only other consistent thing I have is coffee with half and half and splenda.

I know some folks think splenda will stall but I've never had problem with it before.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #5

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I tend to agree with what Dottie said; what worked for you at various times over the past 20 years isn't necessarily going to get you the same results now.

I think you need to throw out everything you thought you knew and start fresh.

I seriously doubt you have "ruined your body", I just think you have to approach it with the open mindedness of a newbie, as if it is your first weight loss attempt ever--because in some ways it is. You're the age you are now, the weight you are now, etc. Twenty years ago doesn't matter. It's gone. Poof.

Just treat it as a fresh start, that's my advice. Personally I would recommend plain old Atkins by the book, focus on simple whole foods, and eat enough to satisfy your physical hunger but don't indulge your mental hunger in a lot of unnecessary low-carb desserts and treats.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
It can get harder when you're older. Also, if you've been going hard core back and forth between Medi fast and Low carb, this might further complicate thing.

If you're trying to eat a ketogenic diet - can you confirm your target macros (% of carb, protein and fat | grams of each). Have you been tracking your intake to make sure that you're at or below the carb and protein grams?

Reason I'm asking if you are insulin resistant, you may need to keep your carbs very low while you hopefully repair your metabolism.

I have found that careful tracking, calculating totals in carbs, protein (and lastly fat) is especially important if you're trying to get into and stay in ketosis.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
This may sound a little off the wall, but there's more and more evidence that gut bugs play a huge role in our metabolisms. Perhaps since the last time you low carbed something happened to your gut biome--could be a course or two of antibiotics, could be the inflammatory effects of the soy-based Medi-Fast liquids, could be an illness, could be the metabolic changes of aging.

It's always worth trying to get your gut in good shape with probiotics like fermented foods or probiotic supplements, gut healing broth and gelatin, avoiding inflammatory oils (soy, nut or seed oils except for olive oil and coconut oil, cottonseed oil, canola, etc). Eating for nutrient density and good levels of micronutrients, especially Vitamin D, fish oil (DHA and EPA), minerals like potassium, sodium, magnesium, etc.

Stay the course with low carb, paying attention to healing and nutrients, and you should see some results, but it may take time.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
If you're back and forthing then your poor body probably doesn't know what the heck is happening to it.

When you make a major change in your eating it takes time for your gut and the rest of your body to adapt. Given you were also reducing calories pretty hard, it may take a while before your body settles down as there is probably a lot of postponed maintenance it needs to do.

Give yourself a month of strict low carbing. Don't sweat the calorie limit too much but use a keto calculator to figure out your macros. Use them as a guide but let your body tell you if it needs more food overall. After the first month get a little more strict if you feel the need. For me my body was doing just find moderating itself once I had a ballpark for what I needed to do.

Edit: I just thought I should mention that it might be helpful to see your doctor about some basic tests and maybe a thyroid function test. This will give you a baseline.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #9

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/141/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
Is the chicken injected with any sugar, you know the way ham is?

Also I personally find that I stall with too much cheese. Not sure why?
It does contain a lot of salt so could be water retaining so doesn't show weight loss at the scale.

Water intake where ever you can squeeze the odd glass in helps I find. Not a Water lover here either.

Also some physical activity even in just 5 minutes, once an hour helps rev up the metabolic rate. Or, 30 minutes a day brisk walking or an exercise class.

These are just ideas that have worked for me In the old Atkins book. Dr. says Exercise is the other side of the coin and must be done for the diet to be effective. I find the latter a hard challenge but we have to say what do we want the most.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
It seems common to hear people say here that they don't lose as fast on low carb on second and subsequent attempts. If you are going to go low carb, I agree with pp that rereading the books and induction is a good start. I am now in my 60s and have lost over 25 pounds in a year . . I found that patience and sticking to a plan works, even at my age. Amazing! I've not been perfect, but I have been committed and steadfast. I go what seems long times without losing, but the scale has always eventually moved. You can do this too! You need to stick to one plan, imo. I'd vote for LC NK style, but you can decide what is best for you!

I also agree with what others say as to giving your body time to adjust. In a small matter, I'd suggest swapping your half and half to HWC or CO or MCT oil.

Last edited by Patience; 04-23-2014 at 05:58 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hey Happy! I agree with the advice here. But will add my .02. I did MediFast too. Did it for about seven months, and you're right the results at first were great. I then did the same as you and went back to low carb high fat. Nada. I was very frustrated. I I had been doing lchf for more then a month, still nothing. So, like Backseat said, I found a Dr. I wasn't losing because of anything I was or wasn't eating. I wasn't losing because my thyroid wasn't working, like at all.

So keep with the plan, but do get checked. I did a hair and mineral analysis along with blood work. Really interesting results. The blood work showed a problem, but the analysis showed just how bad it was.

I think all that soy in the MediFast played a huge part in the demise of my thyroid function.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
check this out:

Starting over support group

the article in the first post explains why the weight doesn't come off as it did previously

kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I have been a serial yo-yo dieter for about ten years. I have about a 25 pound window, and I go up and down once or twice a year. I have noticed in the last couple of years, it has gotten harder and harder to get the weight off, and I have not been successful at getting back to my ideal weight.

I recently joined an awesome HIIT class at my gym, and am committing to an ongoing lifestyle that I can continue, rather than crash dieting every time we have a vacation booked. With the class, you get a Bod Pod measurement once a month. The Pod measures your weight, and fat mass % and muscle mass%. When I had mine done, and came out to go over the results, the woman helping me was kind of shocked. She said, "I am not sure why, but you have a much higher percentage of fat mass than what I was expecting for your body." I am 5' 7", and weighed 162 at the time of the measurement. My fat mass was 40%, which is in the risky/concerning range. We talked about how I have dieted and how frequently, and she said that is definitely why it is so high. Even though I dont look from the outside (with clothes on) like I am in the risky range, I am. Sobering. Scary. Physical evidence of a true wrecked metabolism.

So, I am taking it one day at a time. Making good choices, getting some exercise, trying to be kinder to myself in general and develop an eating routine I can stay with long-term. If I can do it, you can do it too.

Fitness - If it came in a bottle, everybody would have a great body.
- Cher
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Hey Happy! I agree with the advice here. But will add my .02. I did MediFast too. Did it for about seven months, and you're right the results at first were great. I then did the same as you and went back to low carb high fat. Nada. I was very frustrated. I I had been doing lchf for more then a month, still nothing. So, like Backseat said, I found a Dr. I wasn't losing because of anything I was or wasn't eating. I wasn't losing because my thyroid wasn't working, like at all.

So keep with the plan, but do get checked. I did a hair and mineral analysis along with blood work. Really interesting results. The blood work showed a problem, but the analysis showed just how bad it was.

I think all that soy in the MediFast played a huge part in the demise of my thyroid function.

It's funny you mentioned this. I had my lab work done this week as well. My doctor had felt my thyroid gland and felt that it was a bit swollen. I am stil waiting for my lab work to come back to know what's going on with that.

So another 24 hours has passed of me sticking ot plan and eating the same foods that would have gotten me a lb of loss must a year ago. Now I find myself up 2lbs this morning!!!

Should I just stick to my keto way of eating and it will eventually resolve itself? I plan to have some homemade chicken and veggie soup, and then fat bombs and tuna salad at work.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwalsh View Post
check this out:

Starting over support group

the article in the first post explains why the weight doesn't come off as it did previously

I agree with the article. But like I said, I can understand why a week or two after the water weight loss, that my body would not lose as fast because I'm older and others. But I'm talking no water weight loss at all!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by millergirl1976 View Post
I have been a serial yo-yo dieter for about ten years. I have about a 25 pound window, and I go up and down once or twice a year. I have noticed in the last couple of years, it has gotten harder and harder to get the weight off, and I have not been successful at getting back to my ideal weight.

I recently joined an awesome HIIT class at my gym, and am committing to an ongoing lifestyle that I can continue, rather than crash dieting every time we have a vacation booked. With the class, you get a Bod Pod measurement once a month. The Pod measures your weight, and fat mass % and muscle mass%. When I had mine done, and came out to go over the results, the woman helping me was kind of shocked. She said, "I am not sure why, but you have a much higher percentage of fat mass than what I was expecting for your body." I am 5' 7", and weighed 162 at the time of the measurement. My fat mass was 40%, which is in the risky/concerning range. We talked about how I have dieted and how frequently, and she said that is definitely why it is so high. Even though I dont look from the outside (with clothes on) like I am in the risky range, I am. Sobering. Scary. Physical evidence of a true wrecked metabolism.

So, I am taking it one day at a time. Making good choices, getting some exercise, trying to be kinder to myself in general and develop an eating routine I can stay with long-term. If I can do it, you can do it too.
So proud of your commitment!

That's what I'm trying to determine. If I just stick to it will it eventually come off? Is there nothing I can do? Should I expect this 1lb a month? Because so far I've got 0lb and I'm almost done my 3rd week of my FIRST month back.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I suspect it's your thyroid. If it felt swollen, that is one sign it needs help. My Dr. checks mine every time too. My weight loss is slow too, but it's happening. I got older too, (don't know when that happened!!!) but, still felt like I should be losing something!

Just stick to your plan. Getting your thyroid functioning will help a lot! Hang in there!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Signing in for reading.
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote