Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Gallery: amberdemure
WOE: Atkins
Food Blogger Problems - A Small Cheat

I've lost a ton of weight on this diet, and I'm only on day 23. My clothes are falling off, and people keep commenting - so I'm really digging it. The only problem is, well, apart from the fact that I mostly eat pescatarian, is that I am a food blogger/writer. So I am invited to wineries and restaurants from time to time. Tonight, I get to go to one of the BEST places in town. The only problem is, their menu is not at all Atkins friendly, and I don't know how much they'll be infusing those small plates with.... Well, here's some of the items they serve:

Parker house rolls, pig head
Taco, grilled heart, spring onion, radish
Mustard seed tater tots, pimento cheese
Roasted brussels sprouts, deviled egg puree
Beets, mole, cultured cream, corn nuts, charred olive
Baked sweet potato, yogurt, peanuts, cilantro
Carrots roasted in hay, chèvre, pistachio crumb
Field pea salad, broccoli raab, greens
Pinto beans, lamb sausage, soured cream, turnip
Chicken fried chicken egg, mushrooms, hot sauce*
Grits, boudin spice, pickled shrimp, fried pig skin
Crab, french toast, sesame, grilled lettuce

That's a small portion of the things they do, and I don't get to pick and choose. They serve you what the chef wants to serve you. What should I do? I'm really loving my progress, and don't want to stop losing, but I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth by A. not attending this or B. attending and being MISERABLE while everyone else gets to try their amazing food. What's a girl to do?
amberdemure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
earthcrosser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 350
Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Eat well today-keep your carbs to 0 if possible, and enjoy the night. Pick a few things to eat-you don't have to eat everything they put in front of you, so maybe just a few bites of the high carb stuff, and try to suss out what's low carb (as in, eat the fried chicken!).

Most importantly, get right back on the horse tomorrow. Don't stress, don't feel guilty. Enjoy the fact that you've eaten delicious, high quality food, and move on. Have fun!!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Partyof7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Beachy
Posts: 792
Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 40 pounds down, 108 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
Great advice Earthcrosser!

That's what I'd do also. Throw in an extra walk to burn off the carbs and enjoy yourself!
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Gallery: amberdemure
WOE: Atkins
Thanks everyone! I've seriously been in panic mode. So I take it just taking a few bites likely won't destroy me, or pull me far out of ketosis. If anything, I'll make sure what bites I do take are the safest possible options.
amberdemure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,781
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Look at it this way: if you had food allergies, you wouldn't eat something that would make you sick "just to be nice", right?
Your own dietary restrictions can be looked at the same way
Good luck, it sounds like they have a really nice variety. Hope you can find something that works for you.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!
 
leeloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Posts: 1,350
Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I'd say you should think about this meal in the context of your life - that is, your eating behavior over the long term.

The types of questions you could ask yourself might be:

Is the way you're eating now a temporary diet that you'll end when you reach a certain goal? Or are you looking to change your eating habits for life?

How important is it to you that you don't slow your progress, even for a few days?

How important to you is food blogging, eating out, sharing meals with non-low-carbers?

Do you plan to never again touch bread, potatoes, desserts, etc? Or do you plan to find ways to incorporate these non-LC types of foods, either starting now or in the future?

How well do you know yourself? If you eat non-LC foods for a meal, can you jump right back on-plan, or would you likely fall right off the wagon?

Nobody can answer these questions for you, but you'll get a lot of different perspectives from LCF members! That's one of the great things about this site .

Personally, I have changed my eating habits for the rest of my life, and I enjoy eating out and sharing food with non-lowcarbers too much to say that I'll never touch certain foods again, or that I'll insist on sticking to my "diet" when eating in people's homes, or when I get the opportunity to sample a fancy-schmancy tasting menu (lucky you!).

I still pick and choose when to indulge, and what to indulge in, and I don't go off-plan often. But I've got to live my life, and love my life, and for me that means that I'm not always super rigid about my eating with others. I make up for it with strict simplicity in the vast majority of my meals - which are meals that I cook for myself.
__________________
-----------------------


Last edited by leeloo; 04-23-2014 at 11:36 AM..
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,751
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
What Dottie said. There are always going to be occasions when the food does not match your way of eating and to make any weight loss sustainable, it is important to learn how to maneuver through them without sacrificing your goals. For things like this, I usually arrive with a full stomach.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Gallery: amberdemure
WOE: Atkins
@Leeloo (that was my Halloween costume one year!): I definitely think I'm the type to jump right back on the bandwagon. I haven't missed carbs one bit. I just get cranky/testy when I am at fabulous events and don't get to try anything at all. Tonight's event is a big one for me, mostly because I'm a huge fan of the chef's work, and it costs a lot of money to eat at his restaurant so this isn't an opportunity I'll have too often.
amberdemure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!
 
leeloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fhloston Paradise
Posts: 1,350
Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdemure View Post
@Leeloo (that was my Halloween costume one year!): I definitely think I'm the type to jump right back on the bandwagon. I haven't missed carbs one bit. I just get cranky/testy when I am at fabulous events and don't get to try anything at all. Tonight's event is a big one for me, mostly because I'm a huge fan of the chef's work, and it costs a lot of money to eat at his restaurant so this isn't an opportunity I'll have too often.
I know how you feel .

If you're into the food world, going to this type of event without actually eating the food is like going to a movie, but closing your eyes and ears for whole chunks of time, or reading a book that has a bunch of crucial pages ripped out of it. It's meant to be a whole experience!

Why bother going to (and paying for!) something that you won't get to enjoy as the artist (chef, author, director) intended? Better to stay home and fix yourself a protein and a salad.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 13
Gallery: amberdemure
WOE: Atkins
Luckily, when you do writing you don't have to pay for it. I'm going to do my best and try to report back if I keep losing. Odds are I won't have more than 2 bites of anything that looks too unsafe.

Admittedly, this is being sponsored by a fabulous winery and I am more than excited about the wine pairings - even more than the food! (And wine doesn't seem to effect my weight loss in moderation, so I know that'll be kosher.) I bet that'll distract me!
amberdemure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
earthcrosser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 350
Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdemure View Post
Luckily, when you do writing you don't have to pay for it. I'm going to do my best and try to report back if I keep losing. Odds are I won't have more than 2 bites of anything that looks too unsafe.

Admittedly, this is being sponsored by a fabulous winery and I am more than excited about the wine pairings - even more than the food! (And wine doesn't seem to effect my weight loss in moderation, so I know that'll be kosher.) I bet that'll distract me!
You have the right attitude-really enjoy it in moderation and you'll be fine; it's not like you're doing this once a week. I've found that just a few bites of something I used to crave satisfies me these days, and if it's something that tastes really good I still get a lot of pleasure out of just a little bit of it. I too would focus on the wine-but unfortunately it totally affects my weight loss.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:38 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!
 
ladyinlove56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: AZ but always a Tex. gal.
Posts: 1,620
Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I agree about eating in moderation and enjoy your evening...just know you are giving yourself a free choice then jump back on track and move on....If you are stressed out about it or over think it you will over to the carbs for sure....be proud of what you have done so far and what you will do after this one meal...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,847
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Well, I think of those who do wine tastings, either professionally or for fun. They can do a taste or two of many wines without getting drunk.

Same here, imo. You take a taste to two of everything the chef offers---enough to write honestly about it, because that's why you're there. As a food blogger, part of your career I presume, you need to be open to those tastes, unless you're going to bill yourself as a Low carb food blogger---which could be somewhat limiting.

So you keep your carbs super low around these tastings, and do what you need to do to IF you want to continue on this path. Then the day after the tasting, you hop right back on plan, and drink LOTS of water.

Low carb does not mean NO carb, and it does not have to be NO fun carbs, ever. IMO, it simply means your lifestyle is predominantly Low carb, and if you stick to that, you'll keep on losing till you're done, however long it takes, AND you CAN keep being a food blogger on a wider spectrum than just Low Carb.
__________________
There is no success that doesn't have persistence to thank...it's the muscle behind almost everything.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
something there
 
cleochatra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 14,735
Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberdemure View Post
I've lost a ton of weight on this diet, and I'm only on day 23. My clothes are falling off, and people keep commenting - so I'm really digging it. The only problem is, well, apart from the fact that I mostly eat pescatarian, is that I am a food blogger/writer. So I am invited to wineries and restaurants from time to time. Tonight, I get to go to one of the BEST places in town. The only problem is, their menu is not at all Atkins friendly, and I don't know how much they'll be infusing those small plates with.... Well, here's some of the items they serve:

Parker house rolls, pig head
Taco, grilled heart, spring onion, radish
Mustard seed tater tots, pimento cheese
Roasted brussels sprouts, deviled egg puree
Beets, mole, cultured cream, corn nuts, charred olive
Baked sweet potato, yogurt, peanuts, cilantro
Carrots roasted in hay, chèvre, pistachio crumb
Field pea salad, broccoli raab, greens
Pinto beans, lamb sausage, soured cream, turnip
Chicken fried chicken egg, mushrooms, hot sauce*
Grits, boudin spice, pickled shrimp, fried pig skin
Crab, french toast, sesame, grilled lettuce

That's a small portion of the things they do, and I don't get to pick and choose. They serve you what the chef wants to serve you. What should I do? I'm really loving my progress, and don't want to stop losing, but I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth by A. not attending this or B. attending and being MISERABLE while everyone else gets to try their amazing food. What's a girl to do?
As a fellow food writer, I can totally relate. I tend to take small bites and sample/savor. Then I bag the rest up or leave it there. Food writers only need to sample for flavors; finishing the meal isn't necessary. A lot of times, it's about socializing and the ambiance of the surroundings anyway!
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
earthcrosser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 350
Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Well, I think of those who do wine tastings, either professionally or for fun. They can do a taste or two of many wines without getting drunk.

Same here, imo. You take a taste to two of everything the chef offers---enough to write honestly about it, because that's why you're there. As a food blogger, part of your career I presume, you need to be open to those tastes, unless you're going to bill yourself as a Low carb food blogger---which could be somewhat limiting.

So you keep your carbs super low around these tastings, and do what you need to do to IF you want to continue on this path. Then the day after the tasting, you hop right back on plan, and drink LOTS of water.

Low carb does not mean NO carb, and it does not have to be NO fun carbs, ever. IMO, it simply means your lifestyle is predominantly Low carb, and if you stick to that, you'll keep on losing till you're done, however long it takes, AND you CAN keep being a food blogger on a wider spectrum than just Low Carb.
I like this. I think it will become my mantra.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,781
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
There was a story Dr Atkins told.
He was sitting at an airport, having a cup of coffee and a cookie.
Someone recognized him and asked him "how can you eat that?" very upset.
He explained that he's on maintenance and he occasionally has a cookie as a treat and that's fine.
So even the (possibly) most famous expert on the subject didn't "opt out" all the time
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,847
Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/177/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
There was a story Dr Atkins told.
He was sitting at an airport, having a cup of coffee and a cookie.
Someone recognized him and asked him "how can you eat that?" very upset.
He explained that he's on maintenance and he occasionally has a cookie as a treat and that's fine.
So even the (possibly) most famous expert on the subject didn't "opt out" all the time
Love this, Dottie.

We all talk about LC as a lifestyle, but imo, that lifestyle will be better and stronger for the occasional treat. IMO, that feeling of deprivation is always a red flag and often leads to falling off the wagon.

What the "occasional treat" is and how often you can afford it and maintain or lose, will be totally dependent on the patience it takes to experiment and find out for yourself and your body. And that takes time.

BUT, I will say that although I plan on and hope for a LC lifestyle from here on out, I also understand, through my experience, that there WILL be times for a treat, and that I can do that and still succeed at this.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.