Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Food Blogger Problems - A Small Cheat (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/829237-food-blogger-problems-small-cheat.html)

amberdemure 04-23-2014 11:49 AM

Food Blogger Problems - A Small Cheat
 
I've lost a ton of weight on this diet, and I'm only on day 23. My clothes are falling off, and people keep commenting - so I'm really digging it. The only problem is, well, apart from the fact that I mostly eat pescatarian, is that I am a food blogger/writer. So I am invited to wineries and restaurants from time to time. Tonight, I get to go to one of the BEST places in town. The only problem is, their menu is not at all Atkins friendly, and I don't know how much they'll be infusing those small plates with.... Well, here's some of the items they serve:

Parker house rolls, pig head
Taco, grilled heart, spring onion, radish
Mustard seed tater tots, pimento cheese
Roasted brussels sprouts, deviled egg puree
Beets, mole, cultured cream, corn nuts, charred olive
Baked sweet potato, yogurt, peanuts, cilantro
Carrots roasted in hay, chèvre, pistachio crumb
Field pea salad, broccoli raab, greens
Pinto beans, lamb sausage, soured cream, turnip
Chicken fried chicken egg, mushrooms, hot sauce*
Grits, boudin spice, pickled shrimp, fried pig skin
Crab, french toast, sesame, grilled lettuce

That's a small portion of the things they do, and I don't get to pick and choose. They serve you what the chef wants to serve you. What should I do? I'm really loving my progress, and don't want to stop losing, but I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth by A. not attending this or B. attending and being MISERABLE while everyone else gets to try their amazing food. What's a girl to do?

earthcrosser 04-23-2014 11:57 AM

Eat well today-keep your carbs to 0 if possible, and enjoy the night. Pick a few things to eat-you don't have to eat everything they put in front of you, so maybe just a few bites of the high carb stuff, and try to suss out what's low carb (as in, eat the fried chicken!:)).

Most importantly, get right back on the horse tomorrow. Don't stress, don't feel guilty. Enjoy the fact that you've eaten delicious, high quality food, and move on. Have fun!!

Partyof7 04-23-2014 12:03 PM

Great advice Earthcrosser!

That's what I'd do also. Throw in an extra walk to burn off the carbs and enjoy yourself!

amberdemure 04-23-2014 12:04 PM

Thanks everyone! I've seriously been in panic mode. So I take it just taking a few bites likely won't destroy me, or pull me far out of ketosis. If anything, I'll make sure what bites I do take are the safest possible options.

Dottie 04-23-2014 12:06 PM

Look at it this way: if you had food allergies, you wouldn't eat something that would make you sick "just to be nice", right?
Your own dietary restrictions can be looked at the same way :)
Good luck, it sounds like they have a really nice variety. Hope you can find something that works for you.

leeloo 04-23-2014 12:35 PM

I'd say you should think about this meal in the context of your life - that is, your eating behavior over the long term.

The types of questions you could ask yourself might be:

Is the way you're eating now a temporary diet that you'll end when you reach a certain goal? Or are you looking to change your eating habits for life?

How important is it to you that you don't slow your progress, even for a few days?

How important to you is food blogging, eating out, sharing meals with non-low-carbers?

Do you plan to never again touch bread, potatoes, desserts, etc? Or do you plan to find ways to incorporate these non-LC types of foods, either starting now or in the future?

How well do you know yourself? If you eat non-LC foods for a meal, can you jump right back on-plan, or would you likely fall right off the wagon?

Nobody can answer these questions for you, but you'll get a lot of different perspectives from LCF members! That's one of the great things about this site :D.

Personally, I have changed my eating habits for the rest of my life, and I enjoy eating out and sharing food with non-lowcarbers too much to say that I'll never touch certain foods again, or that I'll insist on sticking to my "diet" when eating in people's homes, or when I get the opportunity to sample a fancy-schmancy tasting menu (lucky you!).

I still pick and choose when to indulge, and what to indulge in, and I don't go off-plan often. But I've got to live my life, and love my life, and for me that means that I'm not always super rigid about my eating with others. I make up for it with strict simplicity in the vast majority of my meals - which are meals that I cook for myself.

clackley 04-23-2014 12:47 PM

What Dottie said. There are always going to be occasions when the food does not match your way of eating and to make any weight loss sustainable, it is important to learn how to maneuver through them without sacrificing your goals. For things like this, I usually arrive with a full stomach.

amberdemure 04-23-2014 01:11 PM

@Leeloo (that was my Halloween costume one year!): I definitely think I'm the type to jump right back on the bandwagon. I haven't missed carbs one bit. I just get cranky/testy when I am at fabulous events and don't get to try anything at all. Tonight's event is a big one for me, mostly because I'm a huge fan of the chef's work, and it costs a lot of money to eat at his restaurant so this isn't an opportunity I'll have too often.

leeloo 04-23-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberdemure (Post 16886758)
@Leeloo (that was my Halloween costume one year!): I definitely think I'm the type to jump right back on the bandwagon. I haven't missed carbs one bit. I just get cranky/testy when I am at fabulous events and don't get to try anything at all. Tonight's event is a big one for me, mostly because I'm a huge fan of the chef's work, and it costs a lot of money to eat at his restaurant so this isn't an opportunity I'll have too often.

I know how you feel :).

If you're into the food world, going to this type of event without actually eating the food is like going to a movie, but closing your eyes and ears for whole chunks of time, or reading a book that has a bunch of crucial pages ripped out of it. It's meant to be a whole experience!

Why bother going to (and paying for!) something that you won't get to enjoy as the artist (chef, author, director) intended? Better to stay home and fix yourself a protein and a salad.

amberdemure 04-23-2014 01:33 PM

Luckily, when you do writing you don't have to pay for it. I'm going to do my best and try to report back if I keep losing. Odds are I won't have more than 2 bites of anything that looks too unsafe.

Admittedly, this is being sponsored by a fabulous winery and I am more than excited about the wine pairings - even more than the food! (And wine doesn't seem to effect my weight loss in moderation, so I know that'll be kosher.) I bet that'll distract me!

earthcrosser 04-23-2014 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberdemure (Post 16886789)
Luckily, when you do writing you don't have to pay for it. I'm going to do my best and try to report back if I keep losing. Odds are I won't have more than 2 bites of anything that looks too unsafe.

Admittedly, this is being sponsored by a fabulous winery and I am more than excited about the wine pairings - even more than the food! (And wine doesn't seem to effect my weight loss in moderation, so I know that'll be kosher.) I bet that'll distract me!

You have the right attitude-really enjoy it in moderation and you'll be fine; it's not like you're doing this once a week. I've found that just a few bites of something I used to crave satisfies me these days, and if it's something that tastes really good I still get a lot of pleasure out of just a little bit of it. I too would focus on the wine-but unfortunately it totally affects my weight loss. :cry:

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

ladyinlove56 04-23-2014 02:38 PM

I agree about eating in moderation and enjoy your evening...just know you are giving yourself a free choice then jump back on track and move on....If you are stressed out about it or over think it you will over to the carbs for sure....be proud of what you have done so far and what you will do after this one meal...:)

Blue Skies 04-23-2014 06:04 PM

Well, I think of those who do wine tastings, either professionally or for fun. They can do a taste or two of many wines without getting drunk.

Same here, imo. You take a taste to two of everything the chef offers---enough to write honestly about it, because that's why you're there. As a food blogger, part of your career I presume, you need to be open to those tastes, unless you're going to bill yourself as a Low carb food blogger---which could be somewhat limiting.

So you keep your carbs super low around these tastings, and do what you need to do to IF you want to continue on this path. Then the day after the tasting, you hop right back on plan, and drink LOTS of water.

Low carb does not mean NO carb, and it does not have to be NO fun carbs, ever. IMO, it simply means your lifestyle is predominantly Low carb, and if you stick to that, you'll keep on losing till you're done, however long it takes, AND you CAN keep being a food blogger on a wider spectrum than just Low Carb.

cleochatra 04-23-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberdemure (Post 16886656)
I've lost a ton of weight on this diet, and I'm only on day 23. My clothes are falling off, and people keep commenting - so I'm really digging it. The only problem is, well, apart from the fact that I mostly eat pescatarian, is that I am a food blogger/writer. So I am invited to wineries and restaurants from time to time. Tonight, I get to go to one of the BEST places in town. The only problem is, their menu is not at all Atkins friendly, and I don't know how much they'll be infusing those small plates with.... Well, here's some of the items they serve:

Parker house rolls, pig head
Taco, grilled heart, spring onion, radish
Mustard seed tater tots, pimento cheese
Roasted brussels sprouts, deviled egg puree
Beets, mole, cultured cream, corn nuts, charred olive
Baked sweet potato, yogurt, peanuts, cilantro
Carrots roasted in hay, chèvre, pistachio crumb
Field pea salad, broccoli raab, greens
Pinto beans, lamb sausage, soured cream, turnip
Chicken fried chicken egg, mushrooms, hot sauce*
Grits, boudin spice, pickled shrimp, fried pig skin
Crab, french toast, sesame, grilled lettuce

That's a small portion of the things they do, and I don't get to pick and choose. They serve you what the chef wants to serve you. What should I do? I'm really loving my progress, and don't want to stop losing, but I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth by A. not attending this or B. attending and being MISERABLE while everyone else gets to try their amazing food. What's a girl to do?

As a fellow food writer, I can totally relate. I tend to take small bites and sample/savor. Then I bag the rest up or leave it there. Food writers only need to sample for flavors; finishing the meal isn't necessary. A lot of times, it's about socializing and the ambiance of the surroundings anyway!

earthcrosser 04-24-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16887042)
Well, I think of those who do wine tastings, either professionally or for fun. They can do a taste or two of many wines without getting drunk.

Same here, imo. You take a taste to two of everything the chef offers---enough to write honestly about it, because that's why you're there. As a food blogger, part of your career I presume, you need to be open to those tastes, unless you're going to bill yourself as a Low carb food blogger---which could be somewhat limiting.

So you keep your carbs super low around these tastings, and do what you need to do to IF you want to continue on this path. Then the day after the tasting, you hop right back on plan, and drink LOTS of water.

Low carb does not mean NO carb, and it does not have to be NO fun carbs, ever. IMO, it simply means your lifestyle is predominantly Low carb, and if you stick to that, you'll keep on losing till you're done, however long it takes, AND you CAN keep being a food blogger on a wider spectrum than just Low Carb.

I like this. I think it will become my mantra. :)

Dottie 04-25-2014 01:05 PM

There was a story Dr Atkins told.
He was sitting at an airport, having a cup of coffee and a cookie.
Someone recognized him and asked him "how can you eat that?" very upset.
He explained that he's on maintenance and he occasionally has a cookie as a treat and that's fine.
So even the (possibly) most famous expert on the subject didn't "opt out" all the time :)

Blue Skies 04-25-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16889118)
There was a story Dr Atkins told.
He was sitting at an airport, having a cup of coffee and a cookie.
Someone recognized him and asked him "how can you eat that?" very upset.
He explained that he's on maintenance and he occasionally has a cookie as a treat and that's fine.
So even the (possibly) most famous expert on the subject didn't "opt out" all the time :)

Love this, Dottie.

We all talk about LC as a lifestyle, but imo, that lifestyle will be better and stronger for the occasional treat. IMO, that feeling of deprivation is always a red flag and often leads to falling off the wagon.

What the "occasional treat" is and how often you can afford it and maintain or lose, will be totally dependent on the patience it takes to experiment and find out for yourself and your body. And that takes time.

BUT, I will say that although I plan on and hope for a LC lifestyle from here on out, I also understand, through my experience, that there WILL be times for a treat, and that I can do that and still succeed at this.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 PM.