Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Staying Focused on the Long TERM

I am doing better today despite all my protein yesterday. however, I am still so apprehensive about the long term effects of eating too much fat?? Even though I know I need it and I bet I will lose weight. Does anyone struggle with focusing on the high fat diet even remaining low carb?

Perhaps I am the only one, but reading material on high fat diets, and books related to this topic does help.

Learning to trust the process is quite scary.. when I always eat low carb, but kept it low fat. So, can someone remind me that I CAN do this, and I CAN lose weight and I CAN eat fat and have significant benefits?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
hello! Peace I would recommend reading "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes and "The Art and Science of Low Carb Living" by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek. Also just youtube those guys along with Dr. Westman and Robb Wolf. I love Jimmy Moore's podcast as well and my other favorite podcast now is Mark Sisson of Primal Blueprint. I hope this helps!!!!
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bryce58
Stats: 273/233/176
WOE: LCHF/keto
Start Date: February 2014
I agree with afuentes

I have just read those books in the last 3 weeks - great way to stay focussed.
Bryce58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Short answer. Yes, you can. We have all been brainwashed and reading truly does help educate you on the truth of the low fat dogma. You can do it. But. Not every diet is for everyone. You have to find what works for you AND that you are comfortable with.

I know you struggle with getting the fat, but until you try it you won't know if it'll work for you. Check out Maria's site (I've told you this before, young lady! ) Her recipes are what my stubborn fat phobic daughter is using to make it work for her.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
No. Once I did my research and understood the science behind it, I was fully comfortable. But I was never convinced by the low fat hype to begin with, so that probably helped.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Hi Snow.

Just curious.. did your daughter experience any weight gain in the beginning? I got on the scale today and it was higher? I think I might need a new scale, it fluctuates soo much.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Peace, you really seem to be struggling. I wonder if a good low carb book such as Atkins (along with the eating plan) would help alleviate your doubts and concerns?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
She never said Peace. I would ask how it was going and she'd say I'm not really losing. Then, a weeks and a half later she was down three pounds. Her work outs were better, her recovery was quicker, she was sleeping better AND she started seeing the definition in her abs she has always wanted.

I imagine some of this, if not all was a little hard for her to admit or believe. But it happened. You need to focus on those macro numbers. The Taubes book is really a good one. And like Cathy said, maybe even Dr. A's would be a good start. Hang in there...
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Peace - I agree with Cathy - you could really benefit from sticking with one plan for several days to several weeks and then think about tweeking. Weight loss and weight gain fluctuates every day - I think I had suggested before than maybe weighing once a week or so might also help - then you wouldn't see the fluctuations as much.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverlynx35
Stats: 285/260/185
WOE: Low Carb/No Sugar
Start Date: February 2014
I look at it like this:
I gave my previous WOE/life 44 years and look where it got me. Bad cholesterol, 100 pounds overweight and poor self-image. I think I can afford to give this WOE at least one year.
Silverlynx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
I look at it like this:
I gave my previous WOE/life 44 years and look where it got me. Bad cholesterol, 100 pounds overweight and poor self-image. I think I can afford to give this WOE at least one year.
LOL! This is brilliant. Yeah, I agree!
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
My weight fluctuates on a daily basis, that's normal for most people, and even more so for women. It's not an issue unless you're moving outside your typical range of, say, four or so pounds. If you're not used to weighing daily, seeing slight fluctuations might be new, but that doesn't mean it's the scale's fault, or a fault at all. It's part of life. Every single thing you eat and drink doesn't weigh exactly the same day to day, hormones play a part, hydration, water retention due to workouts, the quality and quantity of sleep you got the night before, and so on.

Even while I'm losing fat and going down the scale, my weight fluctuates. In maintenance it will be the same.

I know it's hard to tell tone from the written word, but every post you've written, and every thread you've started, seems fraught with anxiety and indecision. I strongly suggest you read a book or two, and decide to do one plan 100% for at least a month, of not two, before changing something again. See how you feel, and go from there. I know you're trying to see what "fits" long-term, but all the changing around and tweaking, one day of eating what you call a lot of protein, or eating only fish, if whatever, isn't going to give you a full picture, and a few days sure isn't going to show on the scale.

JMO.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Silverlynx-- what a great way of looking at this WOE, and I appreciate your positive feedback. It really is nice to hear.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
the body is going to burn one of 2 things. fat for fuel (ketosis) or glucose for fuel.

pick one and proceed

if you want ketosis then fat absolutely must be your friend!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bill2012
ahh the old days,
I have been always low fat in my whole life,
Wwhy we get fat and Wheat belly changed (save) my life =)
I am very skeptical like you too from the start, eventually when I start this WOE and I read A LOT of books (7,8 or more!) and materials, I become more confident on the fat myth.
FAT is our friends!
bill2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
No, I did not gain weight initially when I went high fat. Pretty much started losing right away. However, my weight does fluctuate frequently. It's no big deal. Just because you have a gain one day does not mean you are doing anything wrong or need to change things up. Maybe pick a plan and stick with it for at least 6 weeks. You can do it.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:04 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
get info on ketosis. read what you are doing and why the fat is important. it makes great sense when you know then ya will love the fat!!
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
My weight fluctuates on a daily basis, that's normal for most people, and even more so for women. It's not an issue unless you're moving outside your typical range of, say, four or so pounds. If you're not used to weighing daily, seeing slight fluctuations might be new, but that doesn't mean it's the scale's fault, or a fault at all. It's part of life. Every single thing you eat and drink doesn't weigh exactly the same day to day, hormones play a part, hydration, water retention due to workouts, the quality and quantity of sleep you got the night before, and so on.

Even while I'm losing fat and going down the scale, my weight fluctuates. In maintenance it will be the same.

I know it's hard to tell tone from the written word, but every post you've written, and every thread you've started, seems fraught with anxiety and indecision. I strongly suggest you read a book or two, and decide to do one plan 100% for at least a month, of not two, before changing something again. See how you feel, and go from there. I know you're trying to see what "fits" long-term, but all the changing around and tweaking, one day of eating what you call a lot of protein, or eating only fish, if whatever, isn't going to give you a full picture, and a few days sure isn't going to show on the scale.

JMO.
So very wise. Great post!
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #19
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I disagree with the statement that if "You want ketosis, then fat must be your friend."

Ketosis depends on carb level, not fat intake. I am regularly in ketosis even eating low fat since I keep my carbs at about 15 or 20g.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I disagree with the statement that if "You want ketosis, then fat must be your friend."

Ketosis depends on carb level, not fat intake. I am regularly in ketosis even eating low fat since I keep my carbs at about 15 or 20g.
Just curious, if your carbs and your fat are low, what do you eat? I'm assuming mostly protein, but that can keep people out of ketosis as well (I think?).
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #21
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
It is only excess protein that limits ketosis, as any excess food will. I eat mainly protein, but I never go beyond my daily requirements.

I lost all my weight this way and have been maintaining for close to four years. Obviously, it works for me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
Just curious, if your carbs and your fat are low, what do you eat? I'm assuming mostly protein, but that can keep people out of ketosis as well (I think?).
A low fat, low carb diet, would include lean protein, fish, eggs and vegetables. My fat mainly comes from cooking in olive oil and hwc in my morning coffee.

I have most definitely been in ketosis.

I've lost 13lbs in the last month, eating this way and am very close to goal - I was stuck at the same weight on high fat for over 6 months.

Last edited by SuzanneM; 04-24-2014 at 10:18 AM..
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/226/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
A low fat, low carb diet, would include lean protein, fish, eggs and vegetables. My fat mainly comes from cooking in olive oil and hwc in my morning coffee.

I've lost 13lbs in the last month, eating this way and am very close to goal - I was stuck at the same weight on high fat for over 6 months.

Same...........................................
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I think I would just have a hard time feeling satisfied and keeping low carb if I kept my fat low too. It's great that it works.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
It is only excess protein that limits ketosis, as any excess food will. I eat mainly protein, but I never go beyond my daily requirements.

I lost all my weight this way and have been maintaining for close to four years. Obviously, it works for me.
Very interesting. I seem to do better with more mod fat/low carb. I think clean eating is a huge part of the process. I like keeping it simple as well... thanks Leo.

Thank you.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I am going to stick with this plan and see how it goes. My goal weight is 110-112.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:46 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ceb65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post

I agree I gained a whopping 10 pounds when I switched to high fat for a month! I eat low to mod fat under 20 carbs 1100-1400 cals, always stay in ketosis and lost 16 pounds in 5 weeks!
ceb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb65 View Post
I agree I gained a whopping 10 pounds when I switched to high fat for a month! I eat low to mod fat under 20 carbs 1100-1400 cals, always stay in ketosis and lost 16 pounds in 5 weeks!

Hey there

Thanks for your feedback! Just wondering if you watch protein count? I pretty much am not monitoring protein right now and just watching carbs. I am on day 3 of under 10 g. However, at some point, I might add my fats back in.. just waiting to see how things go right now.

I think it is important to see how things go one plan and so far, I feel ok, just have been eating sooo much protein that it feels a bit weird.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Lisa M
WOE: Modified Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hey there

Thanks for your feedback! Just wondering if you watch protein count? I pretty much am not monitoring protein right now and just watching carbs. I am on day 3 of under 10 g. However, at some point, I might add my fats back in.. just waiting to see how things go right now.

I think it is important to see how things go one plan and so far, I feel ok, just have been eating sooo much protein that it feels a bit weird.
Maybe you are over thinking things? You seem a bit anxious and rushed in your plan. Maybe take a deep breath and see that you are in a good place?
Lisa M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M View Post
Maybe you are over thinking things? You seem a bit anxious and rushed in your plan. Maybe take a deep breath and see that you are in a good place?

Thanks. Not anxious at all, I guess I just write with energy and people are thinking that means I am anxious. Definitely appreciate your feedback though.