Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 228/205/160
WOE: LC
Start Date: October 2012
Recovering from major surgery, nauseous and cannot eat LC...help

Hi....

I had major surgery 3 weeks ago and spent 5 days in the hospital. I could barely eat ANYTHING, my nausea was so bad.

My appetite has finally came back somewhat, but my "taster" is off.....LOL I have been eating Top Ramen and grilled cheese sandwiches...UGH

I need to get back to LC, but the thought of any meats or eggs at all is making me gag. I do not care about losing weight right now but I at least want to maintain.

About all I can tolerate is protein shakes, cottage cheese, yogurt and regular cheese. Maybe beans, but I know those are high in carbs.

I need some advice.....is there a way to do a vegetarian LC?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
It's important to eat adequate calories and protein when recovering from surgery - healing properly puts a lot of stress on the body and that needs to be supported. I'd say stick with the things that you can tolerate (luckily everything you listed is high-protein!), but if you have to eat carbs in order to get adequate nourishment, eat the carbs.

If your recovery from surgery is anything like mine, your appetite is so small, anyway, that it's unlikely you'll gain weight during this period. Be aware, though, that you are likely retaining a significant amount of water post-surgically. The water will come off as you heal.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
You might want to consider making up batches of baked egg custard.
I haven't tried this, but I found it on another site. It looks good:
JOSIE'S CREAMY EGG CUSTARD
4 eggs
2 cups Carb Countdown milk or heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon

Whisk all of the ingredients, except the nutmeg or cinnamon well; strain into a shallow baking dish. Set the dish in a larger pan filled with water to go up side of dish 1 inch. Bake at 325║ 30 minutes or until set. Chill well before serving and sprinkle each serving with nutmeg or cinnamon.
Makes 4 servings
Do not freeze
Made with Carb Countdown milk:
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 155 Calories; 9g Fat; 12g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 143 Calories; 9g Fat; 12g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs
Made with heavy cream:
With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 501 Calories; 49g Fat; 9g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs With liquid Splenda:
Per Serving: 489 Calories; 49g Fat; 9g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Romy
Stats: 164/142.5/120-130
Start Date: July1,2013
When I am sick and can't tolerate solid foods, I always make homemade chicken soup, skin on for the fat, whole onion and celery , removed after boiling. Then I add the shredded chicken, add chopped boiled eggs, and make little meatballs without breading, I let it cook together until the meatballs are fully cooked. Very low carb, high in protein and fats and easy on the stomach.
I make a big batch and freeze.
Romy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeeandcream
Stats: 228/205/160
Start Date: October 2012
Thanks
coffeeandcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
In surgery they likely loaded you with antibiotics which may have wiped out all of your good gut bacteria. That could be why your digestion is so disturbed. I'd concentrate on healing foods and really try to avoid the bread as wheat is particularly destructive.

Try to eat:
Bone broth--as much as you can
Gelatin--add plain gelatin to hot tea, sprinkle it on food, make "jigglers" with a low carb beverage.
Probiotics-- full fat yogurt, dairy or water kefir, kombucha, pickles or sauerkraut if you can tolerate them. Consider taking a probiotic supplement (check with your doctor)

If you really need something bland and soft, try either white rice or potatoes that have been cooked, cooled overnight in the fridge, and gently reheated. There's evidence that the starch in them is "resistant"-- that is it won't immediately break down in your body to sugar but will stay intact all the way to your large intestine where it will metabolize as beneficial saturated fatty acids instead of sugars. It helps feed up the good bacteria in your gut to help with restoring a normal gut flora.

It's important to heal your gut, these things should help.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I would add a good probiotic as well.

Hope you are back to good health and a low carb woe soon.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote