Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   high fiber lower carb options (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/829177-high-fiber-lower-carb-options.html)

stews 04-22-2014 08:24 AM

high fiber lower carb options

I need to gradually up my fiber intake, but I also want to keep my carbs within my carb range (gradually increasing them still so this is a work in progress).

can we collaborate together and give some good options for low carb choices that have fiber?

halos 04-22-2014 08:44 AM

Coconut/coconut flour has a lot of fiber. I coat my baked chicken with flaked coconut that has been lightly ground in the food processor.

Flax meal minute muffins have lots of fiber.

Chia seeds also are high fiber low carb.

You have a lot of options. Hope you find something you like.

sbarr 04-22-2014 09:05 AM

Psyllium a great way to up your fiber intake without adding any carbs.

afuentes 04-22-2014 04:16 PM

Hemp and chia seeds are great to put in heavy cream and stevia or full fat Fage yogurt. I love Quest Bars as well. Pumpkin is a great source you can be creative with too!!!

stews 04-22-2014 04:23 PM

thanks for the ideas so far. keep them coming, please. recipes for how you use any of the items would be great. I've never used chia or coconut flour or much of anything like that before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16885215)
Psyllium a great way to up your fiber intake without adding any carbs.

do you just use it as a suppliment?

Quote:

Originally Posted by halos (Post 16885195)
Coconut/coconut flour has a lot of fiber. I coat my baked chicken with flaked coconut that has been lightly ground in the food processor.

Flax meal minute muffins have lots of fiber.

Chia seeds also are high fiber low carb.

You have a lot of options. Hope you find something you like.

thanks. I have had flax in the past and didn't really like it, but maybe I'll try it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by afuentes (Post 16885696)
Hemp and chia seeds are great to put in heavy cream and stevia or full fat Fage yogurt. I love Quest Bars as well. Pumpkin is a great source you can be creative with too!!!

I'm not eating yogurt yet, but when I add it back in I will give it a try. I try to get most my food from real food, not bars but I will look into quest bars for occasional use.

this is so challenging. i really am trying to work up to about 25g fiber but getting that in with low carbs is not easy. I know it will get easier as my carb limit goes up, at least some.

sbarr 04-22-2014 04:39 PM

Psyllium - as supplement mixed in water

Also, as a base for tortillas - here are 2 different recipes:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...carb-wrap.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...easy-easy.html

sbarr 04-22-2014 04:41 PM

An easy recipe for chia pudding:

Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe
• 1 cup almond (rice, soy, hemp, coconut) milk, unsweetened
• 2 tsp maple syrup/honey or 1/4 tsp stevia
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 3 tbsp chia seeds
• 1 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder, unsweetened

Mix until smooth, chill until firm - might need to be mixed again just before eating.

stews 04-22-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16885725)
Psyllium - as supplement mixed in water

Also, as a base for tortillas - here are 2 different recipes:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...carb-wrap.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...easy-easy.html

thank you. I appreciate it. I don't do net carbs so this isn't going to be easy until I work up my carb level. but I love any and all ideas and will try them out. I appreciate the time to share with me.

stews 04-22-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16885728)
An easy recipe for chia pudding:

Chocolate Chia Pudding Recipe
1 cup almond (rice, soy, hemp, coconut) milk, unsweetened
2 tsp maple syrup/honey or 1/4 tsp stevia
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder, unsweetened

Mix until smooth, chill until firm - might need to be mixed again just before eating.

thank you so much. I'll give it a try.

clackley 04-22-2014 06:34 PM

Glucomannan powder, shirataki noodles made with only Konica, jicama, avocado. All are great low carb options.

stews 04-24-2014 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16885824)
Glucomannan powder, shirataki noodles made with only Konica, jicama, avocado. All are great low carb options.

I don't like shirataki noodles but will look for the other items. I have had avocado's the last few days and just bought a bag of them at costco.

stews 04-24-2014 11:14 AM

so, just looked up quest bars. I think I'll stay away from now. I do total carbs and not net so those are a bit high for this point in my woe. I may eventually try one and if I like them buy a couple just to keep at work in case of emergency but going to be awhile before I think I'm willing to use that many carbs on one item. Eventually, that may be a great thing to just have on hand, though, when I have a little more room for flexibility :)

stews 05-06-2014 08:04 AM

I've managed to get my fiber intake up to 25 without added fiber supplements. that is not easy, lol. I am getting them mostly from veggies and am using a little chia seed to add in if needed. My total carbs are higher than I'd really like, but I'm trying this for awhile to find just the right ratio carbs/fiber/calories (I don't really count calories and fat, but am aware of them so I can decide if i need to go lower or higher as I go along). I was in trace ketosis this morning which considering I had a few days I really struggled with my eating so probably had been kicked out end of last week or the weekend, I was happy to see a little color, especially without dropping my carbs all the way back to below 20.

stews 05-10-2014 11:26 AM

this is day 7 in a row of getting my fiber goal in and keeping my carbs as low as possible in order to do it. for a couple weeks before i was gradually increasing fiber a little each day or 2 to get it up to where I wanted it over time.

well, I haven't gotten today's in yet, but my day is tentatively planned out. We are eating an early Mother's day dinner at Outback with dh's family so I put together an idea of what I'll eat there and at home to get it all in. :)

tomorrow, I may give myself a reprieve from counting and measuring everything. I will still eat on plan, but may not worry about numbers for a day. which means, my carbs should be low but probably won't get all the fiber in. I don't think one day out of the week is a problem if I decide to not worry about it for a day.

I am still looking for more ways to work in other fiber options. when I go to the store I'm looking at labels to see what else I can add that I haven't thought of.

LCShan 05-10-2014 01:46 PM

As someone else in this thread suggested, I highly recommend glucomannan powder. It has 0 net carbs and is amazing. I've been taking it for two years and am sold. My doctor recommended it for improving cholesterol, something to make me feel full, improving my diabetic (at the time) husband's blood sugar, and of course regularity. Here is the exact product I use. As it warns on he label, the first week or so can make you have um... bowel issues... but that completely away. If you do a scoop before every meal, there's any easy 15 grams of finer every day.

stews 05-10-2014 02:15 PM

how many carbs not net? I don't subtract.

thank you for the suggestion. i will look into it as another way to supplement when I can't get it all from vegetables and such.

haha, never mind.. I just looked it up so answered my own question :p .

Madmarsha 05-11-2014 07:36 AM

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but hemp protein powder has MAD fiber in it making it new 0 or 1 carbs or something like that if you go with the net carb thing. I just got some to do smoothies for the next 2 weeks.

stews 05-11-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmarsha (Post 16906826)
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but hemp protein powder has MAD fiber in it making it new 0 or 1 carbs or something like that if you go with the net carb thing. I just got some to do smoothies for the next 2 weeks.

thank you. Do you like the taste? I'll look at it. I don't do net, but also don't stay at induction level. It would be impossible to get all the fiber in that way. plus, I prefer to go up the ladder and find my carb limit so that I have options and know just how much I can have and can't have :) .

the more options I can find so I have some variety would be nice.

Madmarsha 05-11-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stews (Post 16906852)
thank you. Do you like the taste? I'll look at it. I don't do net, but also don't stay at induction level. It would be impossible to get all the fiber in that way. plus, I prefer to go up the ladder and find my carb limit so that I have options and know just how much I can have and can't have :) .

the more options I can find so I have some variety would be nice.

Yeah, sorry, I missed the post where you said you don't do net. Duh! I actually don't really count at all, but don't really do net either when I do count. I'm sorta trying to find my carb limit also. I just wanted to try this as a smoothie and see what happens. I am normally not a protein shake/smoothie user but the fiber count intrigued me. So far, the taste and even the texture don't bother. The color, however, is green. Yeah, green is a "natural" color, it just always strikes me as "unnatural" to drink anything green, though!

stews 05-11-2014 08:57 AM

LOL! let me know how it works for you. you'll get used to the color, I'm sure.

Madmarsha 05-11-2014 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stews (Post 16906908)
LOL! let me know how it works for you. you'll get used to the color, I'm sure.

I can tell you without giving you too many details that the fiber does seem to be "working".

stews 05-11-2014 03:52 PM

lol, that's good.

I'm actually on day 8 of hitting my goal of 25 grams (I think one day I was a little low and another a little high, but close enough). I spent the couple weeks before that gradually adding more in each day or 2.

synger 05-22-2014 09:57 AM

Avocados and artichokes are a couple more great fiber sources. And avocados have that creamy, fatty texture that helps fill you up and satisfy you.

stews 05-22-2014 06:21 PM

thank you, synger. I appreciate your input :) .

I've been eating a lot of avocados. It definately is easier to get it all in on days I have one. I've had artichoke hearts some, but need to get some more to give me a little more variety.

I did just add in a lower carb tortilla from the health food store this week to see if I can eat them and still lose. the ones I'm using have 7 grams of fiber. (I got the veggie flavored ones this time). I've had one the last few days and have still lost weight. I won't normally eat them daily, as I want to mix up the ways I get the fiber in but because I'm testing it out, I am having them more consistently this week. so far it seems I'll be able to use them as an option, but time will tell.