Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Protein overload?

Well, I am hoping someone can resonate with this feeling. I am telling myself to watch my protein and macro levels, but again, I over did it big time. I know my emotional eating was not healthy this evening, and it was still low carb, but seriously?? I could eaten a horse I was so mad today!

12- 2 egg whites, scoop of tuna, lettuce. ( tuna was dry)
3- salad with grill chicken, low carb veggies ( i even cut back on broc)
8- Went bonkers... was upset about some personal stuff.. had a large salad tuna ( in oil), then made baked chicken tenders ( finally bought my own), and kept eating them... I am thinking I probably had about 7 or 8 ( they were kind of little, but still!!!). i also dipped in salt and had some olive oil on them as well. Finally, my tummy went down..

I feel like a failure. I increased my protein so much, that it feels like it is so hard to cut back now. I know it is ok that I am low carb, but how can I do this?? I also worked out this am and I am hoping it will get burned off as this was a weight class.

I hope you are not sick of me yet.. I just need to find some balance on this protein issue. I just have to pray that I can find a way to stop overeating.. I am scared to do this, but I need to get on the scale and see the number. Maybe that will help me to not overeat.

Has anyone ever gone through this?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Balance the protein with fat. Keep a fatbomb or two on standby for just these occasions. Fat will fill you up faster than protein ever will and I know you struggle with your fat intake.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Peace, you're not a failure. Like many of us, you're just trying to find your rhythm and what works for you. Eating a few extra chicken tenders was a decision, not a failure. I' sure your total carb count for the day was well under 50.

Don't be afraid of the scale, it's only a tool. Also, if you have a non-digital one (I know you were asking about digital, then there is limited breakdown).

Perhaps you can use a food tracker as a PLANNER and enter your planned food through the end of the week, making updates after a day like yesterday.

Please be gentle with yourself....

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

sbarr

thank you so much. I dont have much money to buy a new scale, but I am thinking I would like a digital. I could get one at walmart for cheap.

I am trying to remain positive. Today I did get on the scale and despite the all the food ( protein) I ate, it was 117-118 ( depending on where it was on the floor). I am not concerned about the weight or number as much as I how I feel. My body is just too bulky right now with all this protein. Does that make sense?

I am small frame, and I think this is why I am fixated on the number. I would be best at 110, I know this.

Thank you for being thoughtful. I just need to keep going and today I was starting to wonder does it even matter???? Too much info, but I know it has alot to do with some emotional/loneliness stuff. I need to get over it.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Hugs...hang in there!

Yes, definitely - bodies can feel overloaded with water, carbs, protein, anything. Your mind may even be playing tricks on you because of your feelings of guilt over what you thought was too much chicken.

Scales are fickle - even to the point of where on the floor it is.

And, yes, it does matter - keep moving forward. I have been through a very rough patch during the past 6 months, but since the beginning of the year, the one thing I had control over was my FOOD. Remember that - family can hurt you, other things can derail your life - finances, friends, you name it. "Getting over it" sounds a lot easier than it is.

But...
But...

But, you can control what you eat. You are a bright lady, you're continually reflecting, analyzing, wondering - so, I would suggest, take control of planning what goes in your mouth. If you feel like you need to take a mental break from the stress - go to your food tracker and figure out your meals for the next week. Treat your food tracker like a video game - do some what if scenarios. Maybe once you figure out your meals, then plop it into a grocery list for upcoming shopping. Maybe look up some recipes and add them to your food tracker (I know you don't cook much, but there might be a few things that interest you).

I find it relaxing to detach myself from what I am eating and plan what I WILL eat - I have fitnesss pal set up through the end of the week and will tweak as I go along. It also allows me to speculate my weight loss based on deficit.

Last edited by sbarr; 04-22-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gosh you are amazing. Thank you. I feel better just reading this. One thing I noticed is my body hurts!! I think too much protein/dehydrated might be the issue or perhaps I need omega3's. I am trying to not analyze the chicken but I am really wondering if it just isn't the best protein for me?? Or I simply overAte on it and it had negative effect. I am just going to drink water all day. I skipped the gym.

You are so good about tracking. That is so wonderful. I need to step back from this and really digest what the issue is-- ty.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Funny thing about tracking - I've done LC since about 2005, and I only seriously started tracking last month when I started NK so 1 month out of 8 years.

Now I'm food tracking like a nut - it used to be something I resented doing AFTER the fact when I tried it but now I embrace it because it gives me control so that I can make the right decision later today or tomorrow. Seriously though, I almost treat it like a video game where I add my foods, copy a meal from one day to another. Right now, I'm cooking a variation of Linda Sue's cheeseburger pie. I know that I'll portion it in large 1/4 servings. So, I know exact what the calorie/carb/protein/fat will be. I've added it to the next 3 days menus. I'll put the last one in the freezer since 4 days in a row becomes tedious.

But, one of the points of tracking - really, is about being able to control your food intake if it feels like other things are out of control or hopeless.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
One thing for emotional/mindless eating is to try to have something in the house that will work for something like this. Many times it's something crunchy or creamy. For example for crunchy you can make thin/julienne some celery or jicama. Why thin? because you'll have that hand/mouth action for much longer. like eating chips. If you want creamy then you can add in some dip (low fat if you wish). If you want crunchy/salty and like onions you can take the long onions (spring onions?) and dip in salt, take a bite, repeat (not too much salt though). Or have some green olives (salt) and some other crunchy veggies that you like. Like an Hors d'oeuvre tray. With a little bit of all the typical textures (crunchy (raw veggies), soft/creamy (humus, cream cheese), salty (olives, pickles), sweet(ish) (no sugar added sweet pickles, little bit of berries)).

Protein doesn't always satisfy that "need" for texture/flavor (e.g. crunch, etc.). Textures and flavors provide other sensory inputs that can detract from other emotional stuff going on. At least for some - ymmv of course.)

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks webcrystal.. much appreciated. I also think that I need to start working on this fat issue if I want to stay in ketosis. I would be happy to just have veggies, but sometimes it doesnt fill me up. However, point being is that I need to stop and look at what I am eating, TRACK and really stop the emotional eating. You are so right.. it sometimes is about the texture and I seem to want crunchy things lately.

Even eating a head of lettuce is not HEALTHY! Of course, others would disagree but my tummy was so bloated and hurt from eating too much bulk that I know it was not a good thing.

Focusing on my food and what I can control is going to be key to weightloss for me, but more importantly, it will help me to feel grounded and more certain about how I have control and choices over my food intake. Noone is making me eat a head of lettuce, or a million chicken tenders, or tons of broccoli. I just can see a pattern here with no matter what I am eating, it really is about being mindful. ( of course, except carbs). I find it interesting that when I am not stressed, I seem to do perfectly fine with digesting fats, nuts, oils, and most protein.