Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
The omega ratios in meats?

I've been reading articles about meats and the omega ratios, including the difference between grass-fed and grain-fed.

All I've managed to figure out is that grass-fed is suppose to have more omega-3.

What I haven't been able to find is how much the total level is or what the ratio is.

So just wondering if anyone here has some good info on it?
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
The following is from the site where I buy my grass-fed beef and bison. "How much" you get in terms of omega 3s depends on how much you eat, but, as this statement indicates, grass-fed beef has almost 60% more omega 3s than grain fed. More of a problem for me here in the U.S. is our 'feedlot beef' which IMO is inhumane. These farms that raise grass-fed beef also promise humane slaughtering methods.

Fats get a bad reputation, but the truth is there are good fats and bad fats. And omega-3s are really good fats.

These fatty acids, which are essential for human growth and development, are most often associated with coldwater fish and certain fruits and vegetables, but they also occur in abundance in [our] forage-fed beef. Our meat is a rich source of this healthy fat because our animals spend their lives eating the green forage plants that are naturally rich in omega-3s themselves. Just by eating their natural diet, our cattle absorb these valuable fats and then pass the nutrition on to you. The result is beef that has nearly 60% more omega-3s than beef from cows that have been raised on a low-omega-3 grain diet.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I feel totally different when I eat grass fed beef, which is rare in general. But.. I never eat grain fed anymore.

Omega 3- so good for us.
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hey Geiri,

This is what Barry Groves says about that in his book Trick and Treat.

"the necessary amount of omega-6 linoleic acid is about 2% of calorie intake and the amount of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid is about half that amount. Putting that into a context of a 2,000 calorie diet, it means we need about a teaspoon of linoleic acid and half a teaspoon of alpha-linolenic acid. Fortunately, both of these fatty acids, in the right proportions, are found in meat fats, butter, cream, cheeses and eggs."

Does that help?
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Somewhat yes. Is he talking about all meat average?
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, I think so because he doesn't differentiate between any of them. He just says fatty meats.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Yes, I think so because he doesn't differentiate between any of them. He just says fatty meats.

Snow- this would mean, it really does not matter which type of meat. I often wonder about this as well.
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Grass fed meats have a much more natural ration of O-3 to O-6. So there is a significant different difference in the type of fatty meat and the ratios you would get from the meat. One site that talks about it is Eatwild (they sell grassfed beef but it gives a good explanation). I highly recommend reading there just for info - I am not associated with them at all.

However aside from the fact we know that often the ratios are off in grain fed vs natural "grass" fed beef there is no "real" answer for what is optimum. The numbers are all over the place with many different theories. most rather settle on 1:1 or 2:1 (O-6 to O-3) usually no more than 4:1. There are some that think we should intake more O-3 than O-6.

Last edited by webcrystal; 04-22-2014 at 05:08 PM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Correct Peace. Just has to be 'fatty' like the fat on the steak, not trimmed, the skin on the chicken, the oil with the tuna, like that.

Webcrystal, you are right. Grass fed or humanely raised meat of any form is going to have the better or right ratios of 3's to 6's.

I was just sharing what Barry Groves wrote. He seems pretty solid with his research.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Also dark meat for chicken/turkey are usually fattier cuts.
There are some fish that are fattier than others as well.
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote