Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Combining the 8 Hour Diet with Low Carb....has anyone tried it?

Just finished reading a shortened version of the 8 Hour Diet and wondered if anyone has tried working that plan of eating with low carb eating. I was thinking I'd experiment with the 8 Hour Diet (which would be do-able for me) along with staying within, say, 50 carbs per day---eating no junk food---but just allowing possibly a piece of whole grain bread, some berries, and maybe a sweet potato to my menu! Don't agree that it is possible to "eat whatever you want during the 8 hour eating period" but I do think that if I could limit my eating to what I am eating now on HFLC and only eat between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m. with the addition of those few carbs mentioned above....it might be successful. Would love to know if anyone has tried something like this!
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
LCHF is compatible with any eating format that works best for you.

I know people who are eating LCHF using JUDDD's hi/low calorie every other day rotations while eating in 8, 6, 5, or 4 hour eating windows.

If your body likes it and it works for you, it is all good.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I don't know about that diet, but 12 noon to 8pm, has always been my eating window - whether I'm on lc, or eating everything in sight, during those hours

I've also never been more than 20-25lbs overweight my whole life, and I can really pack in the food when on a mission, so perhaps that 16 hour fasting period counts for something.

Last edited by SuzanneM; 04-21-2014 at 09:55 AM..
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
my basic eating time is 12-8/9 pm so I guess I do it kinda now.

a change of eating is just that. no 'window' is going to stop me from stuffing my face and like Suzanne said above, I could eat a ton of junk in that time also.

for me I noticed it truly isn't about anything other than the amt of carbs I consume. carbs do me in so I am heading more toward very low carb now and body loves it.

give all experiments a try. might work wonderful for you!
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Who knows? But it wouldn't be that much different from how I eat now. I mean, I would try to stay within those 8 hours every day (which really isn't a problem for me because I am not an 'evening eater' and I find that I can go easily until 11 a.m. before eating in the morning, as long as I can have my coffee! )
Instead of following the food guidelines from the "8 Hour Diet", I would just continue to follow my low carb eating with the exception of, as I said, adding just a few more carbs. Calorie-wise, I don't think I consume more than around 1400 calories a day anyway.....just a result of low carb eating being a wonderful appetite suppressant. So, it would just be confining my eating to the 8 hours that would be any significant change. Interesting to try anyway....and fun to see if there is any truth to the stated fact that your metabolism works better when eating within an 8-hour window!!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
The 8 Hour Diet is essentially a form of intermittent fasting (IF) which is supposed to be really good for you and your mitochondria. I do it a few days a week by skipping breakfast (except for coffee with coconut oil and coconut milk) and eating lunch after 12 p.m.

It's not hard at all, I actually feel great on days I do this. If I wake up hungry, though, I eat. So I do this about 3 times a week, on average.

IMHO, you may want to skip the bread and sweet potato. You don't need to add carbs because you are doing this. Eat well at the meals you do eat, including plenty of natural fats (especially Omega 3's like fish oil, grass fed butter and animal fats). Bread and sweet potato have the potential to derail your success with this kind of fasting, because they will spike your BG and make you crave carbs. Skipping them makes it way easier, really.

Be sure to eat to satiety when you do eat. I find I'm not very hungry when I finally have a meal, and my appetite doesn't seem any higher than usual.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Not sure this is meaningful, but I took components from a few things that made sense to me...
I do 16 hour daily "fast" and 8 hour eating periods (up days and down days) while on JUDDD w/ LC
My JUDDD ratio is: 4:3, 4 UDs, 4 DDs - but not alternating.
My UDs are: Sun,Man,Wed,F
My DDs are: T,Th,Sat
I have two UDs back to back on Sunday/Monday to help me get through life demands.

Macros
20 gm carb UDs (6% of my intake), 4 gm carb DDs
38% protein (UDs = just over 106 gm protein, DDs = 25 gm protein)
(I used the keto ankerl calculator along with the Phinney/Volek calculations
to figure this out based on my ideal body weight
56 % fat (UDs = 91 gm fat, DDs = 39 gm fat)
(This was simply the remainder after calculating carbs and protein)
I factor in my coconut oil (CO) 1 tbs with broth twice daily into my fat and carb grams.
I also factor in my CoQ10 and Omega III supplements into my fat/protein/carbs
Since I am a sedentary person just now with only very light excercise, my average daily protein is within Phinney/Volek range to maintain lean body muscle for me. As I lose, I will be able to be more active, so will recalculate every so often to be sure I'm protecting my lean muscle as best as I am able.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
Mulberry.....I think that is great even though I don't eat the berries or low carb fruit or the sweet potato right now...I do stay with in the 8hr limit...mine if from 9am to 5PM...but this will be my way of eating when I have a good amt...of my weight gone....
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
My 2 cents would be go for it and see if it works for you,BUT I too would stay away from bread, sweet potato, and fruit.
Good Luck!
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
When I started JUDDDs rotations, I stayed completely LC for a few weeks while my body adjusted to the change. Then, in low amounts and one kind of food at a time, I gradually reintroduced a few higher carb foods. If I found the new food invoked cravings, or made me daydream about food, or caused a physical reaction I put it aside for a few weeks then tried it again. That approach worked very well for me - I kept losing, saw no upward bounce as my glycogen stores refilled, and felt really good.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/200/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002) Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximumdensity View Post
My 2 cents would be go for it and see if it works for you,BUT I too would stay away from bread, sweet potato, and fruit.
Good Luck!
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Having an eating 'window' is pretty common for many on a ketogenic woe. I believe it is much more likely to happen naturally due to the appetite suppression that comes for most.

I think it would be a challenge to do outside of ketosis but maybe the length of time in between eating windows allows for a certain level of ketosis?

I agree with keeping it low carb without the bread, sweet potato or fruit.

Let us know what you do and how it goes?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/235/160
WOE: No Sugar, No Grains, No Dairy, No Nuts
I just decided to go back to eating two meals a day like I did in high school/college/young adult years. I'd eat breakfast, lunch and no dinner. I stayed thin easily and never minded missing dinner nor was I ravenous at night. I started eating dinner once married and now with kids out of habit but rarely out of hunger. I prefer to have lunch be my biggest meal of the day. I'm not active at night so this works for me and I sleep like a log without a meal in my stomach at night (just plenty of water and/or herbal tea after about 2:00 p.m.). We'll see if I lose any weight from it or not at this age though.

Last edited by FitMommyNow; 04-22-2014 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: clarity
FitMommyNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
The 8 Hour Diet is essentially a form of intermittent fasting (IF) which is supposed to be really good for you and your mitochondria. I do it a few days a week by skipping breakfast (except for coffee with coconut oil and coconut milk) and eating lunch after 12 p.m.

It's not hard at all, I actually feel great on days I do this. If I wake up hungry, though, I eat. So I do this about 3 times a week, on average.

IMHO, you may want to skip the bread and sweet potato. You don't need to add carbs because you are doing this. Eat well at the meals you do eat, including plenty of natural fats (especially Omega 3's like fish oil, grass fed butter and animal fats). Bread and sweet potato have the potential to derail your success with this kind of fasting, because they will spike your BG and make you crave carbs. Skipping them makes it way easier, really.

Be sure to eat to satiety when you do eat. I find I'm not very hungry when I finally have a meal, and my appetite doesn't seem any higher than usual.
This is exactly what I do, almost all days now. I usually stop eating by 7, but some nights, if we are going out or have friends over, I extend to 8 or 9. I've found it really helps with hunger, and as long as I stay hydrated, I feel great.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Experiment with 8 Hour Diet!

OK....first day of my experiment !! I had absolutely nothing to eat (except coffee) until 11:30. Had a lovely chef's salad (in a restaurant) with blue cheese dressing. I am free to eat anything I want this afternoon....then as long as I finish my dinner and any other eating by 7:30, I am within the guidelines! My plan is to eat as low carb as possible....absolutely no sugar, pasta, rice, white bread or white potato. However, I will not be counting anything and I will not be intentionally consuming extra high amounts of fat. So, very low carb without even thinking about ketosis!
If this works, it will be the best possible solution for me. No counting....no stressing about ketosis....no hunger (because I believe that "hunger" doesn't truly start until you start eating and then the low carb seems to take care of the hunger for the rest of the day).
I found that I was quite comfortable all morning long. Washed windows and cleaned the house until it was time to leave to go to lunch!! One of the things that I read in the 8 Hour Diet book was so true....."even bacon can get boring"! So true. It was such a treat at first and now the thought of bacon and eggs for breakfast gags me Don't have to even think about eating breakfast anymore. Now I can just concentrate on some good lunches and dinners.....and, , a bit of fruit in my diet (mostly berries though)