Old 04-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 216/195/150?
WOE: Atkins - OWL
I'm having to be careful...

In the last few days, I've caught myself:

-almost asking my daughter for a few of her M&M's
-tasting milk gravy (made w/ flour) and subsequently eating a tiny bit of rice
-catching myself thinking about taking a fork to some icing stuck to the side of a sheet cake pan

I'm almost 7 weeks into my first real honest attempt at Atkins, but I keep catching myself trying to eat things I'm not supposed to be eating. Totally out of old habits....

I keep telling myself "be careful!!"
natural_born_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Good for you for being so aware of it!!! It does get easier---- pretty soon the habit will be to NOT taste things you shouldn't!!
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Oh no!
Okay, from an outside view here, this is what I see:
Fat/chocolate in M&Ms
Fat/meat flavor-starch in the gravy
Fat in icing on a sheet cake pan

I would fool the heck out of myself by drinking some broth and mixing some cream cheese with an AS of choice and unsweetened cocoa - or make a real buttercream icing, personal sized with some coconut oil, HWC, AS of choice and a tbs of cocoa!

Don't suffer: Substitute!
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Good catch. And yup, be careful. Maybe you could a few low carb treats in the freezer? You sure don't won't to nibble yourself backwards!!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Maybe you could a few low carb treats in the freezer?
I have plenty to snack on and I don't feel deprived, but I think it's just the actual habit of mindlessly nibbling.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
That's more than half the battle then. Recognizing, that it was a habit. Still, good call!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/259/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
I have accidentally eaten things before just because it was in front of my and I literally forgot for a second I wasn't on a diet...but I agree...the longer stay on plan the less often things like that happen! At least you are checking yourself!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I'm in awe of all the low-carbers I see on this board who are surrounded by non-low-carbers and non-low-carb foods. Many of you even cook non-low-carb meals for others! Every day!

The force is strong within you.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
And know thyself. I couldn't taste stuff the first time around, which made cooking for my family tough. Then I tweaked my plan, and now I can take a small lick of soup from a spoon, for example, and adjust seasoning without ill effect. So too with baked goods, porridge, etc. If it needs tweaking I can dab just enough to taste and go on my merry way, because that's no big deal with me and I firmly lock that into the 'no further' category.

And then there are some weeks I can't do it, and have to make do with underseasoning and sniffing at their stuff to try and adjust, because I know one lick will be taken by my brain as permission to do more. So I play it by ear.

But for me, at least, part of low carbing for life while living in a house full of non-low carb folks is learning what is and isn't manageable for me and working accordingly. It doesn't somehow make me a 'bad' low carber to taste a French fry and season it more. It isn't okay, however, to take that as license to dive into a plate of them. If your habits and will aren't solidified in the diet arena then don't even chance it. You may, however, be pleasantly surprised at your level of control once you've gotten out of the diet mindset and into the 'doing this forever and loving it' phase

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverlynx35
Stats: 285/260/185
WOE: Low Carb/No Sugar
Start Date: February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
And know thyself. I couldn't taste stuff the first time around, which made cooking for my family tough. Then I tweaked my plan, and now I can take a small lick of soup from a spoon, for example, and adjust seasoning without ill effect. So too with baked goods, porridge, etc. If it needs tweaking I can dab just enough to taste and go on my merry way, because that's no big deal with me and I firmly lock that into the 'no further' category.

And then there are some weeks I can't do it, and have to make do with underseasoning and sniffing at their stuff to try and adjust, because I know one lick will be taken by my brain as permission to do more. So I play it by ear.

But for me, at least, part of low carbing for life while living in a house full of non-low carb folks is learning what is and isn't manageable for me and working accordingly. It doesn't somehow make me a 'bad' low carber to taste a French fry and season it more. It isn't okay, however, to take that as license to dive into a plate of them. If your habits and will aren't solidified in the diet arena then don't even chance it. You may, however, be pleasantly surprised at your level of control once you've gotten out of the diet mindset and into the 'doing this forever and loving it' phase
Totally agree. At first, I allowed a few bites here and there as I am not following a specific diet. Then I started cutting out the bites. Now I rarely even think about it. Just doesn't appeal anymore. Flip side is now I can taste/sample while cooking and whatnot and not worry.
Silverlynx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I just want to clarify what I said earlier...
I'm not tempted to eat the foods I listed, I just accidentally ate them or almost did before I stopped and remembered those things either have sugar in them or are off plan.

It's more of me not paying attention to what I'm doing than actually craving those things.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Mindless eating can be hard. I am a 'tester' too when I cook.

It's also easy to reach for bar peanuts, as I found the other night with workmates. I'm lucky because the whole family is LCHF, so temptation is rare at home.

We recently had guests that needed their carbs and that was a bit of a surprise. Most of my cravings are gone but when one of our guests warmed some early hot cross buns (a favorite)... I was in agony. I kept telling myself a little bite wouldn't hurt. Thankfully, I'd had breakfast, so I knew it was a craving rather than a real hunger.

My personal visualization to ward off any tempting carb it to imagine it as white sugar.

Muffin? Nope. Pile of gritty, grainy, teeth aching powder.

Then I imagine how ill it makes me feel in detail. The pounding headache, the stomach cramping and finally the mental oblivion.

That works pretty good for most things. The bun still smelled good and I felt a bit of nostalgia but I wasn't at the breaking point anymore. I find if I can resist for the first wave, then I can hold my ground better.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post

Taryl - You've raised a good point about it being manageable and "habits and will ... (need to be) solidified". I think this is something that everyone should realize and learn what works for them. You need to be in it for life and you need to take an active role in controlling your total food intake.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote