Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
What's the deal with nuts?

I see nuts getting poo-pooed all the time. Is it just because of portion control issues? One ounce of raw pecans only has 1.2 net carbs with 20 grams of healthy fats. Is there something I'm missing as to why nuts are a problem?
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
I keep them as low-carb as I can: pumpkin/sunflower/watermelon seeds, macadamia, almonds, pecans, etc. Cashews, on the other hand, are a special treat. Nuts tend to stall some but not all low-carbers trying to lose, which is why they get some flak on here. Your mileage may vary. They make such a healthy snack, so they're worth giving a trial run in small amounts, then building from there if you can.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
I keep them as low-carb as I can: pumpkin/sunflower/watermelon seeds, macadamia, almonds, pecans, etc. Cashews, on the other hand, are a special treat. Nuts tend to stall some but not all low-carbers trying to lose, which is why they get some flak on here. Your mileage may vary. They make such a healthy snack, so they're worth giving a trial run in small amounts, then building from there if you can.
Thanks Sheila, I don't seem to have a problem, but I portion them out. Why do they stall some people? Is it due to quantity or just the fact that something about nuts stall people?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Not sure - my guess is the portion. 1 oz. of nuts isn't very much.

I love the pumpkin seeds from Trader Joes - you can have quite a bit as a single serving. Macadamia nuts - love 'em, love 'em, but I pretty much reserve them for days when my calories, fat and protein are low.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Drago
Stats: 336/272/235
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Jan 2014
Nothing wrong with nuts. I eat a handful or two almost every day. Excellent food.
Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
I'd say its a problem with portion sizes, I also wondered about cutting out dairy? If someone isn't counting and stalling but they get rid of cheese and then lose weight isn't that a whole load of calories out of your diet? Would that explain the cheese thing?
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Thanks Sheila, I don't seem to have a problem, but I portion them out. Why do they stall some people? Is it due to quantity or just the fact that something about nuts stall people?
It's probably a portion issue. For me, I was able to lose readily while incorporating a good helping of nut butter every night ... and yet eating nuts whole would lead to stalls as they do for so many. It's just easier to have less with the former.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I am guessing it is portion size, too. I portion out a 1 oz. portion for my snacks and have never had a problem. Because of the high fat content, I can't eat more than 1 oz. anyway. I am also sometimes puzzled when people say that nuts are high carb. They are not.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone, unless I hear otherwise, I think it must be portion size.

Sheened, I've wondered the same in regards to dairy. Sometimes I think it's not a food intolerance, but more of a heavy handed cream pour several times a day. Or unweighed cheese portions. I know I need to portion out both myself.

Mimivac, I too see large carb numbers associated with nuts and wonder where the info came from.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/235/160
WOE: No Sugar, No Grains, No Dairy, No Nuts
I read recently that most nuts are higher in Omega 6 instead of 3 and can lead to some inflammation in sensitive people. I have arthritis and instantly retain water/inflammation around my joints if I eat nuts.
FitMommyNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bill2012
I could sacrificed stall for nuts..peanuts,walnuts,almond (butter) is my all time snack and "junk food" now
guess I just have a thing with nuts, I just can't settle with 1 oz..
I have 2 oz bake almonds today and like 5 tbsn peanut butter..couldn't help it..
bill2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimivac View Post
I am also sometimes puzzled when people say that nuts are high carb. They are not.
Not everyone does net carbs, so if you don't, I can see where even an ounce would be a good portion of your carbs allowed for the day.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I love macadamia nuts and macadamia nut butter!!!!! I regularly eat pumpkin seeds (there is a spicy kind at whole foods that I love) and Brazil nuts are another low carb nut that is hearty. I keep it to an ounce or two for the nuts and the nut butter about 2tbsp at the most.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #14
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Brazil nuts are a great source of selenium, too. Just 2 or 3 nuts is the RDA for it
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMommyNow View Post
I read recently that most nuts are higher in Omega 6 instead of 3 and can lead to some inflammation in sensitive people. I have arthritis and instantly retain water/inflammation around my joints if I eat nuts.
I've read this too-certain nuts are higher in O6 than others...I read an article somewhere recently that rated nuts for that criterion, and can't remember where. Almonds are good though, as are walnuts (I think), and macadamias.

I'll see if I can find it.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
For me the issue is portion control. I ounce, not high carb, but start multiplying ounces and that is where carb creep comes in. I love nuts but save them for special occasions. IF they are the only thing I can eat at a reception line, they'll do fine. I like the almond stuffed olives. I few nuts sprinkled on a salad. I would love to add them when I get to OWL, but only if I get the knack of portion control. I do better with pumpkin seeds and they are a more frequent treat.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I know you guys know this, but you can buy them in little 100 cal packets. That's what I do, mostly for convenience. I don't tend to overeat them.

earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
Almonds are my go-to salty snack. I tried measuring out a 1/4 portion at first, but eventually found myself eating more. I know it's not "good". but it's better than sitting down with a bag of potato chips!
TheBigKahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
I always weight them religiously on my electronic scales (nuts and cheeses - i have been known to put 1 nut back) while i was doing low cal i ate nuts and avocado everyday and it seemed fine.

I see the point about omega 6 and inflammation but can you retain enough water to stall you for weeks and weeks? Wouldnt you still be losing fat? Assuming thats what the problem is? Genuine question not meant to be a challenge or anything or undermining anyones experience, lord knows i'm stuck at the moment, if i took cheese and nuts out i'd probably be hitting under 1000 cals a day quite easily.

it's quite interesting, someone should do a study! i know loads of people feel that sweeteners stall them, i can understand that with insulin responses etc....perhaps it is just very individual.
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
I agree, with it being about portion size. If you weigh and count the carbs, I don't see them as a problem, for me. Now, my sister on the other hand, can't seem to stop at an ounce.

I'd be interested in the article about omega's. Is that because they are heated?
snowangel9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Here's an excerpt from on the net that I think is interesting:

Even if the Omega-6 fat in nuts is bad, the positives of the nut seem to weigh more heavily. Whole nut intake seems to reduce markers of systemic inflammation, and inflammation is linked with a wide range of ailments and afflictions (obesity, insulin resistance, heart disease, excess cortisol, etc.). The study’s (PDF) authors hesitate to isolate and praise a single component of the nut, referring to them as “complex food matrices containing diverse nutrients and other chemical constituents.” I think that’s an accurate appraisal of the humble, irreducible nut.

What’s the Downside?

Problems arise with steady year-round access to foods whose historical availability was seasonal and intermittent. If you were a hunter-gatherer, you probably weren’t gathering bushels of nuts on a daily basis – at least, you weren’t finding enough nuts in the wild to eat eight ounces a day. Nuts should never comprise the bulk of your diet, anyway. A quarter cup as a snack every now and then isn’t going to kill you. It’s not even going to compromise your progress. I mean, they’re nuts. They aren’t meals, and they’re not meant to be. They’re snacks, basic supplements to an already nutritious diet replete in animal fat, protein, and vegetables. And in a high Omega-3 diet like the Primal Blueprint they definitely have a place.

Just make sure you treat your nuts as delicious snacks, rather than staple cornerstones of a meal. Don’t burn your nuts, and don’t cook with the oil. The safest bet is to buy them raw and soak or roast them yourself. That way, you control the heat and you can mediate the oxidation.

(You can Google to read the whole article. Couldn't link)
Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Net carbs don't always work for me.

For example, I get a sugar high and crash from a handful of pecans. This is rather frustrating as I love nuts.

I generally eat Macadamia nuts because they have the lowest carbs.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitMommyNow
Stats: 280/235/160
WOE: No Sugar, No Grains, No Dairy, No Nuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
I've read this too-certain nuts are higher in O6 than others...I read an article somewhere recently that rated nuts for that criterion, and can't remember where. Almonds are good though, as are walnuts (I think), and macadamias.

I'll see if I can find it.
Yes, those are definitely the better ratio nuts.
FitMommyNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
I know you guys know this, but you can buy them in little 100 cal packets. That's what I do, mostly for convenience. I don't tend to overeat them.

I just work my way through the individual packets in no time at all.
Sad but true. I really like nuts, I think that is part of the problem.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverlynx35
Stats: 285/260/185
WOE: Low Carb/No Sugar
Start Date: February 2014
I tend to divvy out a few in a very small portion. Then, I have to "go back for more" if I want some. I tend to stop after a couple portions. I think it slows me down and lets my hunger sense catch up.
Silverlynx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:53 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/155/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
I imagine it depends on the individual, the type of nuts, and their plan, especially if they just count straight carbs.

I strictly count calories and net carbs, and it's usually the former that could be the problem with nuts for me. Depending on where I'm at with my daily allowance, I weigh them out very accurately and make sure to keep it within 1-2ozs. This forces me to stay within a safe caloric range (and subsequently a carb one). And I have no issues stopping after that serving size. Plus with the fats in them, I find myself more fulfilled after a few ounces of nuts than I ever would if I tried to do the functional equivalent serving size with a bag of chips or something very carby.

I could never sit down with the actual container of nuts and just eat out of that or I'd manage to go over both limits unless I paced myself really well so my brain would register the full feeling.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Train
I love nuts. However, the crunch factor, and something about the flavor makes me want to eat too many. Eating them also makes me want to munch on other things too. Can't really explain it, but I have to watch it with nuts.
Skinny Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Mostly portion issues. It's easy to go overboard if you treat it like a bag of popcorn.

I would also like to point out that not all nuts are equal. The highest carb ones have about twice as much as the lowest ones. I tend to stick to the Macedonia's (I haven't found Brazil nuts here).

It's not something I have daily it's more like when I want a salty snack instead of popcorn, like at the movies.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I know for me that the nuts cause weight gain for me because I overeat them. I have tracked this diligently.
I am 117 today after eating more nuts, nut butters and not being mindful the last few days on nuts.

I was 114 - 3 days ago. I also think that I soaking makes a difference.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

I think portion control is also more of a problem if the nuts are roasted and salted. I have been eating raw nuts and I don't have a portion problem, but if I had some roasted and salted ones, I think I would be more tempted to overeat.

Thank you everyone for all the different viewpoints and info.