Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: proverbsgirl76
Stats: (155/139/125) 5'6, BMI 23
WOE: Protein/Clean/Under 20 carbs/WATER!!!
Start Date: April 13, 2014
Ketosis - What does it feel like

I'm new here - Hello, everyone!

Questions to those who have made it to ketosis:
  1. What does it feel like - did you physically feel it taking place?
  2. How long did it take you to get there?
  3. Dd you notice foods that kept you from getting into ketosis?

One more thing - What is an induction flu?

Thank you for helping out another newbie!

Sending everyone much

Last edited by proverbsgirl76; 04-13-2014 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: Had another question
proverbsgirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/242/195
WOE: Keto
Start Date: January 2014
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of low carb!

Some people notice a marked increase in energy when they go into ketosis, but everyone is different. You may notice a funny taste your mouth as well, which is from the ketones. It takes people different amounts of time...2-5 days maybe. It depends on your metabolism and how you were eating before.

Obviously high carb foods keep you out of ketosis. For me it is pretty much as simple as that but you will see as you read the boards that different people have different food sensitivities...some are more sensitive to dairy for example, but I wouldn't worry about any of that at the moment. Try to eat good, unprocessed foods, healthy fats, low carb veggies, and full fat dairy such as heavy cream and cheese (but in moderation).

Induction flu doesn't happen to everyone but it sure happens to me! It is the tired yucky feeling you have before your body switches into ketosis. When your body is still using glucose from carbs as a primary fuel source, but you aren't eating many, it makes you feel tired until your body decides it had better switch to burning fat for fuel...that is when the energy boost kicks in. You also lose a lot of water weight during this time so it is important to drink enough water and to make sure you are getting enough sodium...drinking broth is often recommended. I would strongly recommend buying a good book on this WOE to help guide you in the beginning...maybe the new Atkins book (or an old one if you can find one!) or The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living....there are others as well. It makes getting started easier because all of your questions are answered in detail and they offer good clear guidelines for eating. Good luck!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Willgirl, that was VERY helpful info - THANK YOU!!!!!

Juuuuust got back from my shopping trip and I'm boiling a dozen eggs and baking 6 chicken breasts as I type - Figured it would be helpful for me to have this done before the work week started.

Again, such helpful info, and I appreciate you writing this newbie.

Here's to everyone having a happy/healthy/blessed life!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/242/195
WOE: Keto
No problem! This WOE has been so good for me that it makes me happy to see new people trying it out!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hayek
Stats: 220/165/175
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/26/13 (Atkins-ish); 5/6/13 (Keto)
(1) The first time I entered ketosis, I felt quite euphoric, had extreme mental clarity (not my typical fog), and crazy energy for several days. This leveled off within 3-5 days of entering it, but my energy levels are generally much more steady (no morning lag anymore, I just get right out of bed, often before my alarm, and go), my moods are extremely stable with a significant reduction in/almost no anxiety, and still have the mental clarity. The few times I've broken ketosis and re-entered, it just felt like the normal ketosis state and not the extremes of the beginning.
(2) The first time it took me about 3 days, and the few times I've broken it I was back in ketosis within 48 hours (often 24, but my "breaks" weren't extremely high carb loads or anything).
(3) No specific foods seem to give me ketosis-related issues as long as I stay within 50g net carbs (though I tend to be around 35g).

I've never experienced induction/keto flu, but Willgirl describes it quite well from what I've read about it.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Hayek, thank you!! Great info, all very helpful and sounds so familiar - I, too, suffer from mental fog and I always have a tough time waking up in the am. It would be such a blessing to get up in the morning and not need to snooze 5 times before peeling myself off the bed. To have energy and be energetic would be thrilling! Hoping and praying I experience these side effects.

Way to go and congrats on your success, too! Looks like you've been able to make this a way of life - Keep inspiring others, especially us newbies!

Much love to all!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irish_Troy
Stats: Age 47 - 211/157/150
WOE: LCHF / NK / Fat Fast
Start Date: 1.1.2014
Can anybody tell me why I didn't start feeling the keto-flu until the 3 day of having dark purple ketone sticks......I didn't have any flu-like symptoms in the first 5 days of induction but since yesterday I feel like I've been run over by a truck. I'm drinking plenty of water (about 100oz a day) I'm taking multi-vitamins and an electrolyte mix ....also eating between 100-125g of fat a day and I'm consistently losing about .5 lbs every day so I'm just gonna keep pushing through this keto-flu I just thought it was weird that it started a few days after I seemed to be in ketosis.
Irish_Troy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I never experienced the flu with induction/ketosis. However, I have been low carb for a long time. Dairy and artificial sweeteners will stop me from remaining in ketosis.

Welcome. I like your plan. I think you will do well.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
Irish Troy, some salty chicken bullion or broth will help you feel better!
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irish_Troy
Stats: Age 47 - 211/157/150
WOE: LCHF / NK / Fat Fast
Start Date: 1.1.2014
Thanks I got some on the stove now :-)
Irish_Troy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 11/16/14
save!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_Troy View Post
Can anybody tell me why I didn't start feeling the keto-flu until the 3 day of having dark purple ketone sticks......I didn't have any flu-like symptoms in the first 5 days of induction but since yesterday I feel like I've been run over by a truck. I'm drinking plenty of water (about 100oz a day) I'm taking multi-vitamins and an electrolyte mix ....also eating between 100-125g of fat a day and I'm consistently losing about .5 lbs every day so I'm just gonna keep pushing through this keto-flu I just thought it was weird that it started a few days after I seemed to be in ketosis.
It takes some time for all the changes to occur when becoming keto adapted. Your flu arrival time is about right. Keeping hydrated is good but overdoing the water consumption might be counter productive as you will continue to flush out needed electrolytes (imho).
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
I will second the notion that everyone's flu symptoms are different, if at all. I have never really felt any significant - I felt really high energy and to the point that it caused me to lose alot of sleep. But it really didn't matter because when I'm in ketosis I never get groggy in the afternoons, even when sleep deprived. It's just different for everyone. So, my flu was just boundless energy without any foul taste or anything else -- I know I'm lucky!
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mickeyschickie
Stats: 253/195.5/153
WOE: Low Carb Paleo
it took about three months for me to finally get into ketosis! but once I started, I felt great! I have a dull "buzzing" feeling a lot of the time and my energy level has definitely increased, as well as my attitude, I feel a lot happier even during times of stress at work, I feel "above it all"
I never experience the keto-flu, right from the start, I ate extra fat to offset the decreased number of carbs
mickeyschickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #15
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
The best way I can describe my own feeling on ketosis is "high energy with extreme mental sharpness."
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Stacy O
Stats: 223/204/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec 30 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFreeSheila View Post
The best way I can describe my own feeling on ketosis is "high energy with extreme mental sharpness."
This!
Stacy O is offline   Reply With Quote