LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
Low carb coronary blood flow

I hope this hasn't been posted here. If it has been, I apologize. I just watched this video, and I'm curious to know what you all think of it. Read some of the comments. I'm sure this doctor has an agenda, but anyway, I'd like to hear your opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTuK6QKBvcc
seaofsand is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
This guy isn't just saying that low carb is bad but that animal products are bad. The guy is a vegan. He talks about a "study" but doesn't give the details so that it can be looked at by a less, shall we say, biased view.

I thought the reference to a 'meta-analysis' was particularly suspect (no references) but that everyone knows that these studies are severely flawed. They look at many studies and draw conclusions from those. In those studies will be many that include self reporting. People are often asked to fill out surveys about how they have eaten over the past week, month or even longer. If you think about it, you probably can't really remember accurately what your macro nutrients were unless you are closely tracking and recording anyway. It is just not reliable information.

Then there is the issue of 'low carb'. What does this mean? Not everyone has the same view as the label is subjective. The standard American diet is approximated at about 300g per day of carbs. If a person is eating a third less (200g), is this now a low carb diet? How about if they are eating half? Is 150g carbs 'low carb'?

It is best to read a book on the subject by someone who is respected in the field (there are plenty) and to understand the science at least on a surface level. The reason being that there are always going to be dissenters and they almost always have another agenda. In this case, the guy is pushing his belief that animal products are bad.

I would like to ask him if he has any idea how humans survived to this point in time if this were true? It is only since the start of agriculture that humans started to display illness. Prior to that, humans were largely dependent on animals products.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 04-13-2014 at 06:13 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My initial response is that Dr. Eades will eventually demolish this 'study' because he has said over and over that 'observational' studies that rely on people self-reporting are flawed and basically useless.

However, I don't have to wait for Dr. Eades to 'hear' the obvious bias as the narrator refers to 'healthy low fat' and 'plant-based' diets repeatedly. They always get positive adjectives--not so low carb. Moreover, there is no real explanation of low-carb eating (no specifics), and, as we know, there are many ways to eat low carb.

Finally, who were the subjects? Many people are advised to eat low carb because they are diabetic, and diabetics have a higher risk for cardiac issues. Did they have metabolic syndrome? Were they severely obese?

Any valid scientific study would control for such factors, but there's no evidence here of that.

IMO, this is just another production of the vegan agenda.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I would like to ask him if he has any idea how humans survived to this point in time if this were true? It is only since the start of agriculture that humans started to display illness. Prior to that, humans were largely dependent on animals products.

so true. the minute manufactured foods happened along with fast food the decline began. along with 'wonderful' science and chemicals to enhance taste etc.

I never trust a vegan on a rampage
Trigger828 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Well, heck. With a whole ten people that did low carb out of the initial whopping total of 26, I guess we'd all better forget everything we've learned and go vegetarian. Oh, wait, isn't vegetarian an old Indian word for bad hunter?!

I'm with Cathy, gee Doc., how'd we ever survive as hunter/gathers. Notice it's not, gathers/hunters. This 'study' is to small to be leaping to such conclusions. And I'm sure other more knowledgeable Dr. can dispute this quite easily.

What concerns me are the uneducated consumers (like my brother-in-law) who see this and say, see, we should eat bread!!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: seaofsand
Stats: 236/212/135
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: April 2014
Thanks for the comments. I found this last night while looking on YouTube for some low carb videos. I agree that this guy has a hardcore vegan agenda, and will present his "facts" whichever way will support him. The fact that the majority of comments on the video were from fanatical vegans tells you a thing or two. "Meat eaters are all fat and unhealthy! SEE? I knew it!" Yeah, tell that to some of the people here who have lost several sizes (and got their health back) on a low carb diet.

I am sure that veganism and vegetarianism can work well for some people. I am not one of those people. I have tried a few times, and I always feel worse on that type of diet. The only thing that works for me is eating low carb. My only mistake has been quitting this WOE and gaining again.

When I don't eat low carb, my blood pressure and blood glucose go sky high. Coming back to low carb recently, I can already feel the difference. Everything is going back down, and this was confirmed by my doctor on Friday. I'm going to start monitoring my BP at home again because I want to watch it come down even more as I stabilize myself with this WOE. And lowering my BP, BG, and weight through low carb eating has got to improve my coronary blood flow better than struggling with all the starch and fructose on a vegan diet.

I mean, you know this doctor is full of crap when the infamous "Banana Girl" says that he's right on track. You'll see her near the top of the comments. This is a woman who tells diabetics and overweight people to eat thirty bananas a day to get better. I would die on a diet like that. According to her, a nutrition expert in her own mind, it would cure my diabetes. Pass me some eggs and bacon, please.