Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: <20 net carbs/day
Start Date: May 12 2014
Appreciating when non-LC'ers are supportive of LC..

We are all subjected to ignorant, intolerant reactions about our WOE...but isn't it awesome when the non LC'ers in our life are really supportive?

My husband, Mr. Consummate Carb Man, takes tremendous pride in taking good care of our two puppies. He buys them this ridiculously expensive organic dog food that's about 90% animal protein. Whenever anyone compliments us on how glossy and healthy the pooches look, he always says "Well, they're on the Atkins diet!" with sincere joy.

I know it's a silly example but it just makes me appreciate him Also my Mom, who is a non-LC'er, very against LC in the beginning but started reading up on it because she saw how serious I was about it, and now is very supportive (although she sometimes freaks out silently when she sees me committing butter abuse).

Phoebe

One of the very few things we have complete control over is what we put in our mouths. Unless someone hogs us down, pries open our jaws and force feeds us, we have total and complete control of our eating.
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
It's nice, isn't it? My husband eats a SAD but he is still my biggest cheerleader. My mother, too, is very supportive, as is my stepmother and MIL. Even when they don't execute it perfectly (like confusing low carb for gluten free, and then trying to serve me buckwheat cookies ) just the sentiment, alone, is incredibly sweet
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
I was always happy when someone took my lowcarbing seriously. Most people were respectful of my dietary choices, so I think I was lucky. I even had people go out of their way to make things they knew I could eat.

occasionally i would find someone slightly annoyed by having to deal with my restrictions, but for the most part, people were understanding.
Jennyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
It's nice, isn't it? My husband eats a SAD but he is still my biggest cheerleader. My mother, too, is very supportive, as is my stepmother and MIL. Even when they don't execute it perfectly (like confusing low carb for gluten free, and then trying to serve me buckwheat cookies ) just the sentiment, alone, is incredibly sweet
Aww @ the buckwheat cookies.

I love that just when you think they've sort of understood it ("Ok, so Phoebe can have meat and salad, but no potatoes") then they turn around and ask "What?! You can't have lentils? But they're HEALTHY."
Old 04-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Same here, my DH is a carbaholic, he tolerates my efforts to convert him with good humour and will pick up my steaks etc when i'm busy and insist On tenderloin and organic butter (hard to get organic where I live) and tell's me if he's seen something which might add a bit of variety to my diet (we live in the middle east so he gets really excited if theres a ham replacement like breasola in and grabs a bunch of it).

Recently he's taken an interest in chia seeds LOL bless his heart and he shows me everything the local supermarket ships in from bobs mill on the off chance its low carb. And if they don't have my usual almond milk and hes doing the shop himself he'll call me to check the carb count with me. Bless him hes lovely, I really appreciate it.

Its nice to have the support even if he doesn't want to do it himself he's a great sounding board.
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheened View Post
Same here, my DH is a carbaholic, he tolerates my efforts to convert him with good humour and will pick up my steaks etc when i'm busy and insist On tenderloin and organic butter (hard to get organic where I live) and tell's me if he's seen something which might add a bit of variety to my diet (we live in the middle east so he gets really excited if theres a ham replacement like breasola in and grabs a bunch of it).

Recently he's taken an interest in chia seeds LOL bless his heart and he shows me everything the local supermarket ships in from bobs mill on the off chance its low carb. And if they don't have my usual almond milk and hes doing the shop himself he'll call me to check the carb count with me. Bless him hes lovely, I really appreciate it.

Its nice to have the support even if he doesn't want to do it himself he's a great sounding board.
That's so sweet!
Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/254/195
Start Date: January 2014
I like this thread...we often complain about people not understanding but I have found a LOT of people have been really supportive of me. I think part of it is that when I talk about it, I always stress how much I have researched it, and I think part of it is that I look healthier and more energetic that I have in years....two fellow students (one of whom is skinny but wants to be healthy) have asked me to send them info. Most of my friends have found my explanation of the diet interesting more than anything...
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
That's so sweet!
LOL yeah he's wonderful I spent ten minutes in the supermarket with him yesterday in front of the bobs mill section as he picked up EVERYTHING and checked the carb counts, he's still really keen on the chia "look babe there are practically NO carbs, I mean look at that, ooohh!!!"

(the way it works here is someone will ask the supermarket to ship a product in for them specifically from USA/UK EU, they will then put some out and if people buy it they'll get a whole load in, its brilliant, god bless the person who requested 'so delicious' almond milk - I never do it because they charge an arm and a leg for the initial delivery)

Having said that it's only our second anniversary (tomorrow) we'll probably be throwing things at each other by year 10, I'll probably get some chia LOL
Old 04-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
LOL aww bless that's lovely its really nice that they tried to make you some cookies!! Really thoughtful!!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I know it's a silly example but it just makes me appreciate him Also my Mom, who is a non-LC'er, very against LC in the beginning but started reading up on it because she saw how serious I was about it, and now is very supportive (although she sometimes freaks out silently when she sees me committing butter abuse). [/QUOTE]

LOL @ butter abuse, it's not silly, it's all those lil things that make you feel supported rather than tolerated, I think it's lovely and it's nice that your mum is reading up on everything, it shows that what matters to you matters to them. Its wonderful, big hugs all around!! LOL
Old 04-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #11
something there

Gallery: cleochatra
Stats: 364/233/125 5'5" [44]
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: August 31, 2012
I work in an amazingly open and accepting environment where we're foodies first. That means, anything goes! I totally dig that. My husband and family are slowly converting (baby steps), so that part has been much easier...
cleochatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Hi all...

I don't discuss my way of eating with others, and support from them is inconsequential to me.

In fact, if asked about how I lost weight, I just say "I don't eat sugar, flour or starch…" and we go back to talking about what we were discussing before they asked.

My wife is supportive, and she's the one who counts in my life.

Most of the time she does not do low carb (except for a few months every couple years when she feels she needs to drop a few pounds), which really doesn't make it any easier…in fact my ˝ cream/˝ milk yogurt disappears much more quickly, and our bacon bill doubles.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote