Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Most important thing(s) you have learned (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/828034-most-important-thing-s-you-have-learned.html)

Patience 04-10-2014 08:35 AM

Most important thing(s) you have learned

I am curious as to what are the most important things you have learned since joining Low Carb Friends.

sbarr 04-10-2014 08:46 AM

2005-2014: Control your carbs, minimize packaged foods, whole foods (I salute our old friend fawn for that), great recipes.
2014: It's more than just carbs (I'm solidly in the NK camp indefinitely)

After 8+ years, I am a knee jerk carb observer....while I haven't been clean the whole time, I have always been aware.

ilikecarbs 04-10-2014 08:48 AM

Just how wrong all the so-called experts are. And, how bad I feel for all the people that suffer through low-fat diets because they don't know any better and won't listen when I try to tell them the benefits of eating a low-carb diet.

Olive 04-10-2014 08:52 AM

To prepare ahead...keep palatable LC foods at home at all times.

To make every LC meal as delicious and special as possible.

To experiment and try different tweaks and approaches.

And so much, much more.

afuentes 04-10-2014 09:32 AM

Keeping it simple when weight loss stalls - I take that advice that I have seen here and it has been beneficial.

Silverlynx35 04-10-2014 09:32 AM

That most big food companies would package and sell crushed glass as food if they could turn a profit from it.

Nancy1 04-10-2014 11:30 AM

for some it's a slower process than others, and we are all unique, and we need to give it time. We just need to stick with it, and NOT feel like we failed when the scale doesn't budge for a few weeks. I'm a slow loser and that's OK with me, I'm still losing.

snowangel9 04-10-2014 12:30 PM

Patience. And that high fat, low carb is really the way to eat. That big pharma and big food don't have my best interests at heart. That refined and processed foods are to be avoided. Be kind to myself, work the plan and just keep on, keeping on.

grneyedldy 04-10-2014 12:56 PM

The most important thing I've learned:

It's about long term health benefits first, weight loss second.

Good thing cuz the weight loss is slow going, but going none the less.

Other things: great recipes, coconut oil benefits, best products and info on everything (Lowcarbfriends are the smartest peeps evah :lol: ) and knowing that I am not alone on this journey. :heart:

mimivac 04-10-2014 01:14 PM

That trying to strive for 100% perfection is a receipe for disaster. That getting right back on plan after either a planned or unplanned cheat will equal long-term success as long as you are vigilent about not letting the cheats become a lifestyle.

MtherGoos 04-10-2014 03:36 PM

That patience and consistency are the keys to success for me.

Dirty Harriet 04-10-2014 04:29 PM

Finding out LOTS of us are in the same boat; and patience, which is NOT my strong suit!!

ladyinlove56 04-10-2014 05:44 PM

Patience, prayer, planning ahead, shopping healthy, researching online.....

BulldogMom 04-10-2014 06:36 PM

This go round, I've changed my mindset from being on a diet with a certain time frame to drop the pounds to this being my new way of life. I've also not been so hard on myself when I've cheated. One cheat doesn't mean I can give myself permission to throw the whole LC plan out the window. It means I went off plan for one meal or snack and I need to get back on the wagon asap.

dgidaho 04-10-2014 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16871646)
This go round, I've changed my mindset from being on a diet with a certain time frame to drop the pounds to this being my new way of life. I've also not been so hard on myself when I've cheated. One cheat doesn't mean I can give myself permission to throw the whole LC plan out the window. It means I went off plan for one meal or snack and I need to get back on the wagon asap.

This.

seaofsand 04-10-2014 07:22 PM

I'm with Bulldogmom. I have to start looking at this as part of my life, the way I eat. Not just some fad diet.

And I've learned that a cheat day cannot turn into a cheat week or a cheat season. It's happened to me too many times, and it just goes along with what I wrote above.

I've also learned to be patient. This WOE works, if you give it time.

LowCarbedD 04-10-2014 07:23 PM

Patience....consistency...exercise ( thin and FIT!!!!).....the scale is NOT my enemy...BUT it need not be my master..a mindset that maintenance IS the goal.....weight loss....part of the journey but NOT the goal....this has totally changed my way of thinking this time....In 1995 I lost 109 lbs with Atkins...since then I have gained...20 to 30+ lbs several times.....this time I asked my BFF what she had noticed in the long periods of time I have maintained...she told me that when I was consistently active my weight was
stable....I am a carb addict.....that has never changed....cheating may happen but I can never predict which cheat derails me in the long term..JMHO

easwann 04-10-2014 07:41 PM

:goodpost:

BSR3 04-10-2014 07:49 PM

Don't fear fat. Don't eat processed foods, even those labeled "low carb".

Peace 04-10-2014 08:51 PM

Patience. Kindness to myself when I am not perfect. When in doubt, DONT. Listen to my "gut" and not everyone else.

Be gentle to others who do not understand the LC culture instead of criticizing them

Never underestimate how strong we really are, our minds are a beautiful thing.

Processed ANYTHING is no good for me. Too many ingredients freaks me out.

I have kitchen anxiety-- lol!!

Lastly, by being LC, I have learned that this who I am and I feel "GOOD" being true to myself. Now, I am ready to meet a partner who will share this lifestyle with me or at least honor it.

Phew--- that was a lot!! lol

Madmarsha 04-10-2014 09:15 PM

That I need to eat this way for the rest of my life. But that that also does not mean PERFECT. It's not all or nothing.

Emily-D 04-11-2014 04:38 AM

Restaurants and food companies will add sugar to everything, including meat and vegetables. The best food is the food you prepare for yourself.

Olive 04-11-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16871743)
Be gentle to others who do not understand the LC culture instead of criticizing them

Word. This is what makes LCF a really special place.

afcgirl 04-11-2014 11:41 AM

That you can't make yourself crazy worrying about every little piece of sugar you eat, accidentally or on purpose. Those who obssess about eating clean and who poo poo those who eat LC bars or other so called frankenfoods tend to disappear from this website afer a while, never to be heard from again.

I have been lcing for the most part for ten years now and have maintained my weight and good health. I eat lc bars once in a while and eat at restaurants once in a while. I try to do eat clean most of the time but will indulge on vacations and special occasions.

The key is to be flexible.

Madmarsha 04-11-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afcgirl (Post 16872429)
I have been lcing for the most part for ten years now and have maintained my weight and good health. I eat lc bars once in a while and eat at restaurants once in a while. I try to do eat clean most of the time but will indulge on vacations and special occasions.

The key is to be flexible.

Wow, I could have written this. Me to a T.

natural_born_texan 04-11-2014 12:13 PM

I've learned a LOT of things...but something that comes to mind right off hand is that when it comes to weight-loss, it's often easier to say, "no" than it is to deal with the weight gain associated with saying "yes."

Olive 04-11-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_born_texan (Post 16872469)
I've learned a LOT of things...but something that comes to mind right off hand is that when it comes to weight-loss, it's often easier to say, "no" than it is to deal with the weight gain associated with saying "yes."

I need to tattoo that on the hand I use for reaching for the pasta jars.....:lol:

(No, seriously).

LowCarbedD 04-11-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natural_born_texan (Post 16872469)

I love that!:goodpost:

BecBelle 04-11-2014 05:50 PM

I am tired of starting over, so I am going to stop quitting.

Most LC people can eat out and still stay LC. As a hard core carb addict this is something I can't do. I have stopped eating out.

Peace 04-11-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BecBelle (Post 16872800)
I am tired of starting over, so I am going to stop quitting.

Most LC people can eat out and still stay LC. As a hard core carb addict this is something I can't do. I have stopped eating out.

I have the opposite problem- I eat more when I am home and have a hard time not staying low carb. When I eat out, I feel more comfortable for some reason and I stop eating when i am full.

Not good for the pocketbook-- though. It truly is a work in progress.:)