Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF
Start Date: March 2014
Best ground meat

Quick question-does anyone know which ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey, pork) has the lowest amount of protein per serving? I tried looking it up but couldn't get a good answer. Thanks.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Cursory look, probably 70/30 ground beef, but it is going to depend a lot on how you cook it. Based on roughly a 4 oz serving. Pork would probably be second.

Ok, scratch that. They all have probably 20 to 25 grams of protein per 100 gram serving. Though chicken might have the lowest.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nimuae
Stats: 296/190.0/165
WOE: Atkins -currently Atkins 72 Induction week 1
Start Date: Restart - 01/24/14
You could always fry up a little of each and then measure the poured off fat to get a good idea. I find that there is a lot more fat in the ground pork, than in the beef or the chicken. But I think it is also dependent on where you buy it. One store may use only lean chicken or turkey w/ a little bit of fat for their blend, another may use more skin and fat than actual lean meat......
Nimuae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/197/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Meat is only protein and fat (and some water), so higher fat content=lower protein content. But I don't think the difference between types of meat will be very large.

Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for wanting lower protein meats?
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/130 -- body fat % 42.2/32.2/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
If you wanted to cut your protein, you could also reduce your portion of meat and add fat to it.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if you look at nutrition information, be sure you are looking at cooked meat. the high fat content meat loses most of that fat in cooking unless you have something to absorb it and keep it in like breadcrumbs used to do in meatloaf and things.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
Meat is only protein and fat (and some water), so higher fat content=lower protein content. But I don't think the difference between types of meat will be very large.

Just out of curiosity, what is your reason for wanting lower protein meats?
I am always trying to keep my protein low, so I was curious if one ground meat was lower than another. I'm still new to this so I'm playing a little with my macros to see if something will work better. I lose very slowly and wonder if it's protein, or perhaps dairy, which I don't consume a lot of on most days.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/203/135 (12-Apr-2014)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Not sure how low you're trying to keep your protein - I'm about 70 grams a day.

I don't think one kind of meat vs. another is necessarily going to make or break your macros - it will come down to portion size. If you're concerned about too much protein, consider other protein sources that might be more easily portioned into smaller amounts.

Eggs
Chia seeds
Cheese

Let meat be the garnish, not the foundation:

Cut up chicken on a spinach salad
Ham on a chef salad
Ham in a cauliflower casserole
Frittata casserole

Hope these ideas help - I had to cut my protein recently to get into NK so I can't really have my old wonderful big juicy burgers or several pieces of parmesan fried chicken.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Not sure how low you're trying to keep your protein - I'm about 70 grams a day.

I don't think one kind of meat vs. another is necessarily going to make or break your macros - it will come down to portion size. If you're concerned about too much protein, consider other protein sources that might be more easily portioned into smaller amounts.

Eggs
Chia seeds
Cheese

Let meat be the garnish, not the foundation:

Cut up chicken on a spinach salad
Ham on a chef salad
Ham in a cauliflower casserole
Frittata casserole

Hope these ideas help - I had to cut my protein recently to get into NK so I can't really have my old wonderful big juicy burgers or several pieces of parmesan fried chicken.
Thank you! I'm still working on changing how I look at meals and how to put them together. It's amazing how ingrained the food pyramid is in my brain. I'm continuing to work on upping my fat without adding too many more calories or protein...I'm also not eating a lot of salad or veg-mostly very plain small salads or asparagus or cauliflower with butter.

Portion sizes will forever be a challenge for me...I love food!!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm so there with you on this. I've found little ways to be able to incrementally add the fat without as much protein. Rather than a big dish, I think of the mandatory and optional ingredients to BUILD a dish, adding different things different days according to what's planned.

Avocado - can add olive oil and or parmesan cheese (an avocado can either be half or whole depending on your macro budget and you can add the olive oil/parmesan according to what you can afford)
Nightly tea - I add CO and HWC and blend it in. I keep this as a buffer - have it if I need it.
Make a lot of cauliflower or asparagus and then portion out the servings for a few days (and then depending on if you need extra protein, you can add sliced meat, etc. and then heat it up) - this cafeteria approach helps me. I get a basic dish, then I figure out what else I can afford to put in the dish.
For salad, baby spinach is a great base - and that's where you can add meat. I love kielbasa and will grill 2 oz and then slice very thinly over my salad (actually, that's an idea - if you are adding meat to a salad, the thinner you slice it, the further it goes)
2 egg smashed with mayo and put buffalo sauce on top

Portion size has been a challenge for me - I have 1 cup and 2 cup pyrex containers with lids that I pre-portion it all out when I make things like ham cauliflower casserole or sautéed asparagus. I can eat a LOT. But, once made, I pull out the portion, maybe add a few extra things and then that's the meal.

Darn, I really want a big juicy burger off the grill right now.... but, it will come - and it might be during a day where that is my only protein source. I have to figure all of that out - I'm so solidly into ketosis now with 2.3-2.4 levels that I don't dare rock the boat or shake up the numbers.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling - it's a topic I've had to work on over the past few weeks, so it's near and dear to my heart and stomach.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm so there with you on this. I've found little ways to be able to incrementally add the fat without as much protein. Rather than a big dish, I think of the mandatory and optional ingredients to BUILD a dish, adding different things different days according to what's planned.

Avocado - can add olive oil and or parmesan cheese (an avocado can either be half or whole depending on your macro budget and you can add the olive oil/parmesan according to what you can afford)
Nightly tea - I add CO and HWC and blend it in. I keep this as a buffer - have it if I need it.
Make a lot of cauliflower or asparagus and then portion out the servings for a few days (and then depending on if you need extra protein, you can add sliced meat, etc. and then heat it up) - this cafeteria approach helps me. I get a basic dish, then I figure out what else I can afford to put in the dish.
For salad, baby spinach is a great base - and that's where you can add meat. I love kielbasa and will grill 2 oz and then slice very thinly over my salad (actually, that's an idea - if you are adding meat to a salad, the thinner you slice it, the further it goes)
2 egg smashed with mayo and put buffalo sauce on top

Portion size has been a challenge for me - I have 1 cup and 2 cup pyrex containers with lids that I pre-portion it all out when I make things like ham cauliflower casserole or sautéed asparagus. I can eat a LOT. But, once made, I pull out the portion, maybe add a few extra things and then that's the meal.

Darn, I really want a big juicy burger off the grill right now.... but, it will come - and it might be during a day where that is my only protein source. I have to figure all of that out - I'm so solidly into ketosis now with 2.3-2.4 levels that I don't dare rock the boat or shake up the numbers.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling - it's a topic I've had to work on over the past few weeks, so it's near and dear to my heart and stomach.
I appreciate your rambling! I love this place because not only do you get a ton of encouragement, you also get so many great suggestions and ideas. So THANK YOU!

I'm still eating burgers, mostly the ones we make at home, so I know the portion size and what goes in them. There's so much to consider when you're new at this, I think I've got it down then I find something else I didn't consider!
Old 04-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Actually, I just came up with another idea based on what I'm cooking at home right now. I started a crockpot of buffalo chicken and I'm sure could inhale a pound by nibbling throughout the day (and "look, mom, no carbs!!")

I'm going out to the store later today and get more pyrex containers, both 8 and 16 oz. so I can portion it out, put it into my meal planner and then pull it - and put it on top of something, like either an avocado or some cauliflower.

More and more that I'm thinking of your thread - I think it's going to be about mass cooking in advance (you can't just cook a little bit of meat) and then portion it out so that I can add as a complement to a dish or as a small side dish during dinner.

Please, if you come up with any ideas, let me know - I think I'm going to try a mini version of OAM cooking (Once a Month), portion it, label the nutritional info, freeze it and see where it takes me.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I'm always amazed by so many needing to add fat. That is so not my issue. As a matter of fact, I think I need to lower my fat, but I don't want too.

Here's where my dietary fat comes from: Coconut oil & HWC coffee, hollandaise sauce on eggs and asparagus, mayo, bleu cheese dressing, buttermilk ranch, cream cheese muffins (love), Lily's Chocolate bars, cheese (of course ), avocados. I'm sure there's more, I love my fat.

I like to put a beef or pork (picnic/shoulder) roast in the crock pot and pour a small can of chipotle peppers (in adobo sauce) on it, salt, pepper and let it cook for 6 - 8 hrs. It's very, very spicy/hot, which I like (don't have to use the whole can). For me, it seems I don't eat as much when my food is extra spicy. I then shred it and divide it in 2 and 3 oz. servings in freezer bags. I like to eat the pulled pork on a bed of coleslaw.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

grneyedldy - you are definitely onto something. I cooked buffalo chicken in crock pot all day yesterday, adding extra sauce. I was able to easily portion it into 4 ounce bowls.

earthcrosser - I think the meat as garnishment (with shredding) is the way to go if you're trying to control meat. For tonight's dinner, I started with a base of raw spinach and then sliced everything as finely as possible, rather than chopping, carefully laid it all out of the top of the salad, then added the meat and 1 oz. of grated cheddar. If you used 3 oz chicken, it would still fill out a plate.

Check this out:

Food, amount, calories, carbs, fat, protein

Generic - Raw Spinach (Net Carbs), 50 grams 12 1 0 2
Cheese - Cheddar, 1 slice (1 oz) 113 0 9 7
Chicken - Breast (112.0 g) 185 0 4 35
Cucumber (33 g) 5 1 0 0
Onions (14.0 g) 6 1 0 0
Zucchini (30 g) 0 g 5 1 0 0
Totals 326 4 13 44

Oops, picture rotated, but you still get the idea, it's a round salad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy.jpg (40.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by sbarr; 04-12-2014 at 01:02 PM..
Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

That looks delicious Sbarr, but where's the full fat dressing?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #16
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
In most cases I prefer lean meats. I always have. I buy meat for the protein, not the fat. I prefer to add my own high quality fats.

I also buy only 100% grassfed ground beef and that is usually lean.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There was so much juice from the buffalo chicken that it all blended very well... mmmm, I ate my dinner by about 5pm.

I'm saving the rest of my calories and fat for tonight's double decaf chai tea with CO and HWC.

Your chipotle idea has me interested. I'm thinking of headed to Big Lots and get a bunch of anchor hocking bowls and cook in advance, portion at 4 ounces and freeze. Thinking about it, you could put spicy shredded meat on salad, omelet, pizza, even as topping for cauliflower or a quick nosh straight out of the bowl.

So, between earthcrosser's question, my initial attempt at shredded buffalo chicken and then thinking about your recipe (and your suggestion for very spicy) - this is definitely the way to go to get 4 oz. meat per serving.

This is one of those moments... And I know everyone's shaking their head wondering if I was born yesterday.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
There was so much juice from the buffalo chicken that it all blended very well... mmmm, I ate my dinner by about 5pm.

I'm saving the rest of my calories and fat for tonight's double decaf chai tea with CO and HWC.

Your chipotle idea has me interested. I'm thinking of headed to Big Lots and get a bunch of anchor hocking bowls and cook in advance, portion at 4 ounces and freeze. Thinking about it, you could put spicy shredded meat on salad, omelet, pizza, even as topping for cauliflower or a quick nosh straight out of the bowl.

So, between earthcrosser's question, my initial attempt at shredded buffalo chicken and then thinking about your recipe (and your suggestion for very spicy) - this is definitely the way to go to get 4 oz. meat per serving.

This is one of those moments... And I know everyone's shaking their head wondering if I was born yesterday.
I'm glad you like the idea. I keep my protein at 54 - 60g per day, so shredded meat on or with something else fills me up quite nicely.

I'm not shaking my head. I learn something new everyday, I love this forum.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

All great ideas. I unfortunately don't have the room to freeze a lot of food in advance. We're hoping to get another freezer this summer, and then I can definitely do it. It would be really helpful for me as I like to keep things really simple and eat the same thing all the time.

Right now I cannot think about adding in all the salad dressings and things like that...I'm terrified of sugars and stuff like that. The only condiments I use are mustard and mayo. I want to limit artificial ingredients as much as possible, and bottled and jarred stuff seems to have so many!

Anyway that buffalo chicken sounds amazing. We do pulled chicken a lot in the crockpot-my husband is a big bbq guy, and makes his own sauces. Thank goodness it's getting to be grill season up here!