Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Stall at weight set point?

Hi guys,
Quick question, do you find you stall at certain weights? I've noticed through YEARS of yo yo dieting that I get stuck at 12st 3lbs, 11st 3lbs, 10st 10lbs and 10st 4lbs (i know, a lot of sticking) never made it below 144 so fingers crossed i'll get there this time as I'm just on the edge of what may turn into another plateau.

I have heard the "its psychological" suggestion which points to getting lax on eating but I track everything and when I get close to a new low I try to be as accurate and as on plan as possible but every time I see at least 4 weeks at the same weight, does this happen to anyone else?

I'm planning on getting back to my exercise routine (which has been sadly neglected whilst I've been studying) and to keep switching up calories and IF length and time to see if it prevents another plateau, hope it works!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
I noticed as I was coming down that I'd stall every 10-15 pounds. Sometimes I would just have to be patient or change something on my diet.
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: painted_klown
Stats: 312/298/200
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: May 07, 2008 - Re-induced 01-01-14
I seem to stall for a bit, then drop like 5 lbs in a couple weeks. It's weird. The cycle seems to repeat without fail, unless I have a bad week, and actually go up a bit!
painted_klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Afuentes, hmmmmm its not just me then, I read something about 10% of body weight being about how much one can lose before stalls (tends to be less than that the lower weight I am). Painted thats exactly the same for me, I will hover somewhere in a 3lb range and then i'll make a break through at which point I will be due another stall LOL.

As my DH always says "shanti darling" (always earns him a look). I think I will try to draw up a really random calorie and IF cycle to see if it gets me through this time, the last 6 week stall was beginning to test my patience. If all else fails I think I am just going to have to suck it up for a few weeks *sigh* I keep reminding myself that it's ok if this takes time, I am much better off than I was and I am finally no longer obese yay!
Old 04-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I guess this is not a bad thing, but I feel like I have been the same weight for 6 years! not joking. I am 113-115 most days. I did hit 110 at one point a while ago, and would LOVE to get there, but not going to stress about it.

I guess this might be where my body feels best.

So, not sure if this is a 5-6 year stall?????lol
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:20 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BigRunner
Stats: 247/190/168
WOE: Paleo/Primal
I have the same thing happen at different weights. Currently, I am stuck at 190-192. Have been for over a month. This time I will wait it out and continue working the plan. I got nothing but time. Impatience has derailed me at this weight in the past. Not happening this time.
BigRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
I've bounced around the same 5lbs for the past 6 months 135-140 on HFLC - after losing 20, during the previous year.
Yeah Atkins style the food is yummy and great for maintenance for me, but I was maintaining at a weight, I didn't want to be at.
I did some research and have settled on Stillmans plan, low fat and low carb - I have dropped 9 in the 2 weeks - 140-131, and have broken throught to a weight I havent seen in years
It's hardcore going from HF to LF, cutting out cheese and fatty meats and keeping my cals around 1200 but it's working for me, which is all I care about.

Last edited by SuzanneM; 04-12-2014 at 11:13 AM..
SuzanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
I have been basically stuck at 170-175 for well over a year. But that was the weight I hit at 15, and seems to be what I am genetically programmed to stay at. I then proceeded to break my metabolism by dieting in crazy ways for several years in order to keep at about 140.

I knew this time around that it would probably be very hard to get to 150. And having reached a size 12 at 170, I am happy enough and can eat generally low carb without strict counting and maintain. In the future I might try for more loss, but I have to take care of my mind before my body, and the pressure and restriction it would probably take to lose more damages my fragile mental balance.
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, for the responses guys, I appreciate it, I have been a bit frustrated recently, at least I know it's not just me (sorry!!). I'm adding exercise this week hopefully it will make a difference. IF worked to help me drop a bit but stuck again.

Suzanne, I've heard of stillmans but not really looked into it, I'm really glad it's working well for you!Are you sticking to lean meat and veg? Phinney suggested that protein and carbs where key and fat was a filler so Stillmans probabaly makes sense!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

sheened - Stillmans is the most boring diet in the world But I was bored stuck at the same weight forever, so may as well be bored and losing, right
It's lean protein and no carbs - there is a Stillmans section on this board, if you want to check it out.
Sure I'm looking forward to my full fat goodies again at some point, but I've had to do some tweaking to get these last few pounds off.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I can understand, ok sounds a bit like what my mum did, she only ate eggs for 2 months and lost 3 stone, it was a crazy amount of weight to lose. I did just meat for a few weeks (still lchf) and i don't think it made much difference, do you think with stillmans it may also be the comparatively low calories?
Old 04-12-2014, 03:49 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRunner View Post
I have the same thing happen at different weights. Currently, I am stuck at 190-192. Have been for over a month. This time I will wait it out and continue working the plan. I got nothing but time. Impatience has derailed me at this weight in the past. Not happening this time.
Same thing for my husband at that weight. Weird. I hope for both our sakes it "breaks" soon, but we are both just "workin'" it.

I haven't really had that. I'm slow but I do budge every month so far. I have prolly about 20 pounds to go to be at what historically has been a set weight for me, maybe 30 if I need to lose more visceral fat, 40 more would be my all-time low so really breaking a set point there.

Last edited by Madmarsha; 04-12-2014 at 03:52 PM..
Madmarsha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Big runner, - I know what you mean, I've jacked it all in before outta frustration and just ended up gaining weight, sticking out through plateaus has meant i'm 3 stone lighter than I was, a lady on another thread said she stalled for 17 weeks, shes brilliant, stuck to it and is now at goal. I was stuck for about 6 weeks, glad i didn't give it up. Good on you for seeing it though too!

Solar - thats a great attitude, I commend you for it!!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

LOL Peace, I'll stop moaning then, did you settle with it because you can maintain at that point without difficulty?

I guess every time I stall i think 'i really hope this isn't maintenance calories for me'. I like eating how i eat and can carry on doing what i'm doing but i don't know if i could do any further restriction do drop more weight, Suzanne I admire your commitment. I Think if I got really frustrated I would probably consider stillmans too, I'm hoping this WOE works as I feel pretty cheerful about it as it is.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

sheened, you've done really well as it is, doing what you're doing - 45lbs loss is amazing
How long have you been stalled for?
For me, calories definitely do count, I stay around 1200 for weight loss. I can get more quantity of food in, as not so many fat cals. I also get the same appetite suppression, from just protein as I did from high fat, which is the kicker for me.
Not touting Stillmans at all, as it is extreme, but I eat lowcarb and lowering the fat, has worked.

hehe, I've got a Vegas trip coming up in 3 weeks, so it may be the sheer terror of laying by the pool, that has me committed!

You must be a Brit, talking about stones I am too, but live in LA now.

Last edited by SuzanneM; 04-12-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Old 04-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheened View Post
I guess every time I stall i think 'i really hope this isn't maintenance calories for me'. I like eating how i eat and can carry on doing what i'm doing but i don't know if i could do any further restriction do drop more weight
Me, too. I guess I could but only for short periods of time. But I am basically eating like I always plan to so I know the weight loss will eventually stop. At some point, my body just won't keep losing.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Me, too. I guess I could but only for short periods of time. But I am basically eating like I always plan to so I know the weight loss will eventually stop. At some point, my body just won't keep losing.
That's me. I lost really good eating this way until I reached the low 140s. Then the weight loss just stopped. I was really just hoping to get below 200 pounds, so I have lost more than I ever thought I would anyways. Now that I have come this far, I would love to lose about 10 pounds more just so my BMI could be in the normal range, but I am not willing to go all hard core to lose it. I enjoy the way I eat and like how I look and feel. I think I have a good balance between the two right now.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
sheened, you've done really well as it is, doing what you're doing - 45lbs loss is amazing
How long have you been stalled for?
For me, calories definitely do count, I stay around 1200 for weight loss. I can get more quantity of food in, as not so many fat cals. I also get the same appetite suppression, from just protein as I did from high fat, which is the kicker for me.
Not touting Stillmans at all, as it is extreme, but I eat lowcarb and lowering the fat, has worked.

hehe, I've got a Vegas trip coming up in 3 weeks, so it may be the sheer terror of laying by the pool, that has me committed!

You must be a Brit, talking about stones I am too, but live in LA now.

I was stalled for 6 weeks and then broke it with IF and then hit a wall again for the last 2 weeks (I know everyone says it's not a stall if it's not around 6 weeks plus but it bloody feels like one LOL)

I have to count calories too, I know lots of people say you don't have to on LCHF but i'm not completely convinced, I think some may get away with it but for me if I don't track disaster can strike! Sound's like stillman's is really working for you!!

Yeah my portions sometimes look quite small as I'm trying to add fat LOL mainly in the form of butter. I did tally up some figures yesterday from a stillmans perspective and you can get quite a lot in!

How do you feel about the protein? Ketoers suggest that protein being too high is a bad thing (I'm not saying it is because obviously it's working!!) but I read some studies about higher protein is better for muscle preservation?

ohhh nice!!! I always wanted to go to vegas, before we met my DH took a road trip in the USA by himself (lone wolf and all that hahaha) and went through there, he's convinced he should take up poker and go back .
LA looks lovely (from the TV LOL) but everyone looks scarily fit and healthy!! You will look fantastic, The weight loss is frankly amazing! What part of the UK are you from? Great move, weather a bit more cheerful?? I've only been to NY but loved it, I found americans to be really friendly (I was really confused about NY reputation for being unfriendly?!)

Yup we are British living in Kuwait, my husband was offered a job here the year we got married. I have to say the lack of booze has really helped with the weight loss LOL! We're off to Dubai for a weekend away this Thursday and then Abu Dhahi in a few weeks then back to the UK for my little sisters wedding where a sari (we're Indian) will be expected so need to get my tummy into shape! I have to say you can't keep me away from the bar when I get out of here, it's terrible but I run straight into duty free and stock up LOL. On the plus side I'm not weighing in for 5 weeks so I won't know what it does to me! I really wanted to look good for my sisters wedding so the 30DS it is, at least if I don't lose any weight my abs () should be more toned!

I was thinking switching it up may be a good thing once in a while. I think if I haven't made progress over my 5 weeks I would consider stillmans, I looked at it before briefly ages ago but settled on LCHF. I think another 5 weeks is probably long enough to see if any changes need to be made. Are you planning to stick with stillmans long term or transition to higher fat? Were you stalled on 1200 calories on higher fat?

I think it's increasingly becoming apparent that not everything works for everyone. There is an element of 'thou shalt not deviate from said dietary plan' around here sometimes. I was told off (kind of) for limiting calories but frankly I have to, I have a bunch of hormone problems that don't do me any favours (not an excuse for becoming overweight but I do think it makes things a tiny bit slower).

There's also confusion about fat in terms of trying to hit absolute macros or whether you use it to meet calorie goals, but the way I see it carbs and protein are the essential bits, you need some fat but whether that ends up being 30% or 70% I don't think is the be all and end all anymore. I read Gary Taubes and the whole calories don't matter thing (I really enjoyed his book btw not knocking it) but I don't think he's completely right about the cals thing, Dr Eades also said they matter as do Phinney and Volek.

I'm pretty much open minded about it as I just don't know LOL. I really appreciate you being open about your WOE Suzanne, it's nice to be able to ask questions without everything being overly charged with judgement from either side!! I've seen people get their backs up really easily about questioning WOE and I really think it's more helpful to have a frank discussion which can help everyone rather than battering people who challenge our beliefs.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I completely understand how you feel, I restricted quite heavily at times when I was younger (I'm talking 500 calories a day kind of stuff, which for a healthy young woman was ridiculous) and I simply could not keep it off. I like how I eat now, yes I have to watch it but not to the extent where I'm suffering. I think I could do something a bit more restrictive for a time being if I could transisition back to where I am now in terms of how much and what I eat at the moment. I range from 1000 to 1800 but the average it works out to is 1200 over the month but I feel pretty good. Yes at some point this may stop working, I think someone around here was maintaining the weight I'm currently at on about 1200 cals and I guess I'm wondering if I would be ok with that.

I would have basically two choices, accept it if my weight stopped here and work on building muscle or change what I'm doing again. I have 119lbs as a goal but to be honest fit and healthy 9st would be ok too. Hopefully I am not at that point yet but I may have to adjust my expectations and be alright with that. I may just be overreacting but I think it is a choice some of us on here will have to face and it's worthwhile considering it.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
That's me. I lost really good eating this way until I reached the low 140s. Then the weight loss just stopped. I was really just hoping to get below 200 pounds, so I have lost more than I ever thought I would anyways. Now that I have come this far, I would love to lose about 10 pounds more just so my BMI could be in the normal range, but I am not willing to go all hard core to lose it. I enjoy the way I eat and like how I look and feel. I think I have a good balance between the two right now.
Ocean, you have lost a fantastic amount of weight and I commend you on such a healthy attitude! I'm trying to put my scales away for 5 weeks to break my dependence on it. I was reading that anyone who loses a substantial amount of weight burns fewer calories than a person who has never had to, that does worry me because there does come a point where I question whether the restriction that would theoretically be required for me to get to my target weight would be realistic for me to maintain, having yoyed before maintenance is something which I am concerned about.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I suppose a number is only a number; however, there is still a number I DO need to hit and that's waist size. And that's another 5 inches just to be in "healthy" range. That seems gargantuan and then if we're talking about more for maximum vanity size. Oy vey.

So I really need to keep losing and I've been so good so far but I haven't really been tested yet with going a long time and seeing NO results. I don't freak when it's been a couple weeks but several months? I can only hope that my waist at least will keep losing, but I still have other areas of fat, too. I will be sorely tested.
LDL: 191
Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I suppose a number is only a number; however, there is still a number I DO need to hit and that's waist size. And that's another 5 inches just to be in "healthy" range. That seems gargantuan and then if we're talking about more for maximum vanity size. Oy vey.

So I really need to keep losing and I've been so good so far but I haven't really been tested yet with going a long time and seeing NO results. I don't freak when it's been a couple weeks but several months? I can only hope that my waist at least will keep losing, but I still have other areas of fat, too. I will be sorely tested.
I know what you mean, I wanted to get my waist under 31 inches, problem I have is I'm short so my belly button is basically at my hips, so when they say waist do they mean waist or abdomen? because I have a pot belly!! If it's abdomen I have 6 inches to go!

to be honest I am utterly jealous of those people who see consistent losses (inches or lbs, I'd take either). Only reason I got through it w/o completely losing it was because I was studying so I just ignored it and carried on sticking to plan as I was sooooo busy. A lot of people seem to have mini stalls then continue whats bothering me, its more like lose 2 lbs stop for a few weeks then lose 2 lbs, wheres my whoosh fairy??? She's slacking off!!

I really hope it continues to be consistent for you xx
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jink
Stats: 5'10: 230/163/158
Start Date: July 2013
Thanks for this topic! This is very much on my mind right now. I've lost 55 pounds, and made a conscious decision to maintain here for awhile, though it's at least 10 pounds above my goal.

On one hand I'm happy that I can maintain here, eating as I have been, but I've become very fond of fat and every time I try to cut back to lose the last ten, I get anxious, and feel the old demons of disordered eating coming back. So, while I'd love to make my goal, I'm not sure how far I'm willing to go to achieve it.

I have noticed also that losing weight this time via LCHF, that I'm smaller at this weight than I've been before--I'm wearing jeans that didn't fit when I weighed 160 ten years ago.

So even if this is it for me in terms of weight, it feels like a triumph that LCHF is the new 'normal'.
Jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Morning sheened - I'm originally from, High Wycombe, Bucks, 25 miles west of London and you?

My main reason for ditching such high fat,, was hormonal issues, I'm coming up on menopause and have some yucky symptons, mainly bloating and breast tenderness, everything I was reading, advocates a low fat diet to help, which is why I ventured into Stillmans. I have to say my symptons have abated a lot and am losing weight to boot.

After 10 years off and on, eating lowcarb (sometimes a lot off )
I pretty much have lowcarb down, I never eat bread, pasta or rice, they're a non negotiable. I do have a huge weakness for chocolate, which I have to tame, as that will lead into a month long spiral.
I still have my morning coffee with hwc, I'm not a purist. I'm not a breakfast eater and that will ususally see me through the morning.
I think the biggest changes I have made is ditching the cheese and high fat dressings, mayo etc - I used to load everything with them - I really don't miss them and just feel 'cleaner' eating this way, if that makes sense.
I'm eating leaner cuts of meat and lots of fish, and have a new found appreciation for eggs, which I can only eat scrambled, but they are a perfect food for protein/fat combos.

I'm not a fruit eater, but am missing my veggies, which will certainly be added back in - one I complete my 4 week Stillman challenge.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Thanks for this topic! This is very much on my mind right now. I've lost 55 pounds, and made a conscious decision to maintain here for awhile, though it's at least 10 pounds above my goal.

On one hand I'm happy that I can maintain here, eating as I have been, but I've become very fond of fat and every time I try to cut back to lose the last ten, I get anxious, and feel the old demons of disordered eating coming back. So, while I'd love to make my goal, I'm not sure how far I'm willing to go to achieve it.

I have noticed also that losing weight this time via LCHF, that I'm smaller at this weight than I've been before--I'm wearing jeans that didn't fit when I weighed 160 ten years ago.

So even if this is it for me in terms of weight, it feels like a triumph that LCHF is the new 'normal'.
that's wonderful, you've done so well! Yeah thats kinda what I'm worrying about the temptation to keep cutting back in a way that I don't think I'll be able to maintain. I suppose we all have to see where we end up and decide from there. I think it's the number thing for me (which is stupid I know) but to reach what I believe to be where I would feel good. I think I might re-adjust my goal to 9st and go from there (if I ever get there), might fend off some of the psychological effects of the "goal weight".

Y'know what I still feel really big, body dysmorphia anyone?
Old 04-13-2014, 11:57 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneM View Post
Morning sheened - I'm originally from, High Wycombe, Bucks, 25 miles west of London and you?

My main reason for ditching such high fat,, was hormonal issues, I'm coming up on menopause and have some yucky symptons, mainly bloating and breast tenderness, everything I was reading, advocates a low fat diet to help, which is why I ventured into Stillmans. I have to say my symptons have abated a lot and am losing weight to boot.

After 10 years off and on, eating lowcarb (sometimes a lot off )
I pretty much have lowcarb down, I never eat bread, pasta or rice, they're a non negotiable. I do have a huge weakness for chocolate, which I have to tame, as that will lead into a month long spiral.
I still have my morning coffee with hwc, I'm not a purist. I'm not a breakfast eater and that will ususally see me through the morning.
I think the biggest changes I have made is ditching the cheese and high fat dressings, mayo etc - I used to load everything with them - I really don't miss them and just feel 'cleaner' eating this way, if that makes sense.
I'm eating leaner cuts of meat and lots of fish, and have a new found appreciation for eggs, which I can only eat scrambled, but they are a perfect food for protein/fat combos.

I'm not a fruit eater, but am missing my veggies, which will certainly be added back in - one I complete my 4 week Stillman challenge.
Birmingham, Southall, Slough (don't judge me!!) Hounslow was raised variously in each.

That's really interesting, I didn't know fat had an effect? Must be a relief I know a few people going through menopause and the side effects seem pretty uncomfortable. I think the cheese would be the hardest for me, chocolate is pretty high up there, but after avoiding sweeteners and sugar for a while 70% choc seems really sweet. I can imagine it does feel a bit like "cleaning up" i know when I've pared back to the basics I felt like that because all my food was pretty basic and natural.

I'd be really interested to see how adding veg back in goes, I got rid of everything but meat for a few weeks and adding veg back in has been good.