Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Has the "Swedish revolution" had an impact on your area?

Low-carb has never been as popular here as it is now. We had a local LCHF book published last year, inspired by the Swedish one, and it sold tons. There has been a lot of media coverage on it in the past few months (both negative and positive) and pretty much everybody are aware of it's increasing popularity (although most don't let it change their diet, of course).

In fact there was a cream and butter shortage here for a while and it's believed to be caused by a relatively large part of the population eating more fat because of the diets popularity.

The Icelandic facebook page for LCHF, only a year old, has about 12.000 members, which is 4% of the nations population!

So yeah just curious about whether it's impacting any more areas, if low-carb is on the rise again.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
No, sadly, none. At least not anything noticeable to me.

I recall it being mentioned on TV at the time but it seems to have been quickly forgotten. It was immediately back to the profitable & unhealthy SAD around here.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I hope Diet Doctors English book next fall will become popular. Might reach more countries then.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
There was a recent documentary here in Australia about statins and saturated fat that was excellent. Has this caused a widespread change? Not really. I think some people have heard and changed but there is so much propaganda coming from established nutritional doctrines that it's really small scale.

It's kind of funny because as sport crazy as Australia is, you'd think they'd pay more attention to the fact the Aussie cricket team and several football clubs have gone LCHF. Then again you have the power of beer in direct competition and that is where most Australians would falter.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I saw that documentary and have posted i here twice before

Really good stuff.

Edit: This one right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfGTBXkq3g

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 04-04-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I think we are also a long way from a shift in policy but at least more and more people are aware of this being a better way of eating. That's a step. A part of this movement is also that it should be a lifestyle rather than a short diet and from the discussions I've had most people on it have that way of thinking.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 85Cardinals
I do think low-carb is gaining more attention and legitimacy with time, but it's slow going.
85Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
I saw that documentary and have posted i here twice before

Really good stuff.

Edit: This one right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfGTBXkq3g
Yep, that's the one. It made my dad drop his statins and jump on the LCHF bandwagon. I then followed along and I haven't looked back since. Since dumping the carbs I feel like a new woman!
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Backseatadventurer, that is a very good documentary. I have watched it twice so far & may watch it again sometime.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
Low-carb has never been as popular here as it is now. We had a local LCHF book published last year, inspired by the Swedish one, and it sold tons. There has been a lot of media coverage on it in the past few months (both negative and positive) and pretty much everybody are aware of it's increasing popularity (although most don't let it change their diet, of course).

In fact there was a cream and butter shortage here for a while and it's believed to be caused by a relatively large part of the population eating more fat because of the diets popularity.

The Icelandic facebook page for LCHF, only a year old, has about 12.000 members, which is 4% of the nations population!

So yeah just curious about whether it's impacting any more areas, if low-carb is on the rise again.
This endorsement took part in helping to reinforce the low-carb argument as far as making it more mainstream, and through the years sugar & starch-avoidance slowly is still becoming just that. Four days ago, my new derm asked about my sugar intake - because like dentists & endocrinologists, they're big on their patients limiting it. I was like, "I am so glad you asked ... " Then I presented my recent (and stellar) bloodwork that I just happened to have in my handbag for her anyway. It'll be 13 consistent years on Atkins for me this summer.

Also, with Forbes ranking Sweden the 90th obese country, I see this endorsement as having been a savvy, grab-the-reigns preventative measure for Swedes. Not only that, vague terms like "healthy choices" & "moderation" weren't thrown around; nope, Sweden got SPECIFIC. Good on them. The U.S. could learn from that!
SugarFreeSheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
None at all. What I have noticed just in the last decade though is a significant change in how the medical profession looks at low carb. Granted, they still think you *must* eat some fruit and vegies, but they're no longer quite so sold on the fact that you need grains or starches. That, to me, is *huge*.

So kudos to the Swedes and anyone else who puts it out there that low carb is healthy, reduces obesity, etc. because it is this kind of attention and publicity that the medical community eventually finds it hard to ignore. Back when it was just Atkins, they had no problem calling in a quack. Now, too many are 'proving' that low carb is very healthy and can be sustained long term.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aimee
Stats: 5' 7'' 238/191/150
WOE: LCHF and 1972 Atkins
Start Date: 01/11/2014
Here in my neck of the woods (Florida) low carb was HUGE back in the 70's when I was growing up and then saw an even bigger incline in the late 90's. It was everywhere you looked and even 7-11's had amazing Carb-o-lite 0 carb candy bars. It's been a steady decline ever since then... which is a shame because the low carb way of life is the only way to go in my opinion. Healthy, easy, and delicious!
Aimee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
it is all about 'real' food vs. processed easy to fix, fast to eat junk out of a box or drive thru
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Hi Geiri...

Cannot say. This is the first I heard of it, but then I don't discuss low carb with anyone outside this group and with my wife.

I only know one other person who does low carb locally.

I know there are others in our area who low-carb, because 'low carb friendly' products (like Spanish Peanuts, and large sized foil packed tuna, Carb friendly ice cream) disappear off the Walmart shelves quickly.

And the low carb Yogurts at our local Kroger's grocery disappear quickly as well.

I don't look to popular sources of low carb to keep popping up to validate my choice to eat this way. I'm not convinced low carb is a necessary or even that it's a better way of eating for people.

I just realized years ago, that if I try to eat normally, I'll need to have a tent making company build my clothing. But if I eat low carb, I stabilize at a healthy point and don't keep gaining weight.

I consider this my weakness, and low-carb eating a way to live happily and more healthy.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I see no reaction to it here.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: niciK
Stats: 312/287/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/1/2014 . 100th restart
Oh yes. Keto is super popular because of crossfit. Seems everyone is doing keto. There are many forums and it is very trendy right now in body building and fitness .
niciK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/263/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
There is nothing like the Atkins craze back in the early 2000s....however, people are generally more carb wary...nonetheless I don't think it is gaining much traction in Canada at the moment...When I visited Portland I did notice a wrap/salad/lunch bowl place had a paleo bowl on the menu :-)
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgirl View Post
There is nothing like the Atkins craze back in the early 2000s....however, people are generally more carb wary...nonetheless I don't think it is gaining much traction in Canada at the moment...When I visited Portland I did notice a wrap/salad/lunch bowl place had a paleo bowl on the menu :-)
Trying to have an adjustment in menu items (even in upscale) restaurants is easily done but they look at you like you have asked to have your food rolled in dirt. The idea of subbing something is even more outrageous, it seems.

I attended a talk given by Dr. William Davis (Wheat Belly) in late November at the Toronto Convention Center and the audience was pathetically small and the side speakers had no concept of low carb. It was discouraging (not to mention super annoying ---- throwing apples out for correct answers. I nearly left. Although, I have to say Dr. Davis was excellent and well worth the time and money. Glad I stayed. But got the definite impression that interest and knowledge is still small in this backwater town.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
I am in Nova Scotia - and true Maritimers are good old meat and potatoes people. And tons of flour based foods, baking is huge. If you go to a funeral here, the lunch after is sandwich after white bread sandwich, cut into fingers, and tons of biscuits, scones, baking, and jam with tons of sugar in it.

My Newfoundlander friends joke that Newfies don't eat vegetables. I have a friend who considers ketchup her only vegetable. And yes many people are heavy.

I was in one of our major grocery stores, and I could not find many products I needed. They didn't even have flax meal. Just shelf after shelf of white flour.

I haven't been able to buy a pork rind here in about 5 years, but we have 16 million flavours of potato chip.

One thing I really did notice was how most Icelanders were a healthy weight. It really stood out for me!
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: afuentes
Stats: 188/145/130 - I am 5'6"
WOE: Primal/low carb with weight training
Start Date: honest restart - 11/20/08
Yes I've heard lots about it and I hope USA takes notice.
I love the Diet Doctor!!!
afuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/263/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
It makes me sad because I see and meet people who I know could be helped so much by this WOE if it were presented to them as something other than a fad diet.
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
I can't say that I've seen huge changes, but I am around young people all day (I'm a college professor) and paleo and gluten-free are popular choices for them. I don't think the vast majority of them understand much of the science behind it, though - it's just the cool thing right now.

I've also noticed that lc friendly items like coconut oil and almond flour are much more available and marketed than they used to be - just this morning I saw that Pam cooking spray now has a "coconut oil" version (although I shudder to think what kinds of crap oils are in there, along with 1 drop of coconut oil).

So, tiny changes here and there. I am hopeful that this is the beginning of a sea change in how we think of nutrition!!
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Seems like most people around here are pretty aware of low carb. I don't know anyone who thinks low fat high carb is OK --- meats, butter, veggies, cheeses , pork rinds, nuts and oils were always available so hard to tell if there are more. As far as flours are concerned , I think the wider range of flours have more to do with gluten free and allergy issues than LC.
Spanilingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I see gluten free being the new darling here. Every restaurant has a GF menu now. It helps, but they don't get ordering lc. The grocery stores label every thing they can think of with GF stickers.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
Yes that happened to me recently - I ordered a burger and salad platter with no bun, and the server tried so hard to insist that I get the gluten free bun...I was like no really, its ok, no bun, and he was like - I promise the gluten free bun is good!!
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:52 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
I remember the low carb craze of the early 2000s well. I had been doing low carb for a few years and all of the sudden there were low carb stores and products everywhere. People were thinking, "great, I don't have to make any changes at all. I just have to switch to the low carb version of everything I've been eating." It was very processed-product heavy. People started "low carbing" with all processed foods and then concluded that low carb "doesn't work." So the craze ended.

I would like to see a "craze" that embraces natural foods and fats and low carb as a life-long way of eating rather than a quick diet for a wedding or a vacation.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #27
Chatty Cathy

It is frustrating but also to be expected because it is asking people to be open to forgetting everything they think they already know about food and health. Someday people will look back on this time and think what a bunch of dumb arses. What were they thinking?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Like we view the times doctors recommended smoking
Old 04-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ilikecarbs
Stats: 213.4/less than 213.4/190
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by afuentes View Post
Yes I've heard lots about it and I hope USA takes notice.
I love the Diet Doctor!!!
I had never heard of this website before...now I've been on it for an hour lol.
Thanks afuentes!!
ilikecarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
When I went to my first appointment with my orthopedic specialist (knee issues) he asked if I was open to low carb, I didn't even bring it up because this was in February and I was doing JUDDD semi sucessfully (high carb...losing weight but BAD knee pain). Diagnosed with arthritis in left knee. I have been doing Atkins for almost a week and for 2 weeks have been taking Vitamin D, vitamin C, & magnesium, in addition to the multi vitamin I've been taking for a month or so and lo and behold my knee pain is amost completely gone! I have also been going to Physical Therapy and may not even need that in a few weeks if this improvement keeps up. not sure if it was the suppliments, the diet or a combo but am going to keep up with all of it!

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote