Old 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MissMindz
Stats: 164/153/127
WOE: Under 30g carbs per day
Start Date: March 2014
Week 5 and losing motivation

Hey guys,

Long time reader from Aus but first time poster.

I've had lots of success on low carb through the years and was at a great weight which I was able to maintain up until 2011 when the unexpected death of my brother messed me up a bit and I fell off the wagon and packed on over 30lb. Since then I've had a few attempts but every time I end up giving up.

This time has been the longest I have been able to stick to it since then. I am currently in week 5 and have been an ANGEL sticking strictly to under 30g per day. I've lost just over 10lb but for the last week I have seen no movement on the scales . I find this so de-motivating and not only does it put me in a bad mood for the day to see that number but it seems to make me crave all the stuff I can't have. I usually have no problem making dinner for my partner and I and just adding the carby things to hers but I am finding myself wanting to eat them!

Also this week I just don't seem to have any energy. I eat a lot of fat, I take a magnesium supplement.... Argh.

I guess I just need some reassurance that the scale will eventually move?
MissMindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hi Mindz:

Hang in there, you've done great with 10# lost.

Please read this thread.

Why the scales can lie.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoxyRoller
Stats: 315/259.8/200 next weigh 9/1/14
WOE: Calorie controlled, average 75 carbs per day
Start Date: December 30, 2013
Scales are the devil (just like pop tarts).....lol! Yes, it will eventually move. Hang in there! The Why Scales Can Lie article is excellent.
RoxyRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Agree with sbarr. It's hard to be patience but if you are your reward will come.
My weight always bounces a lot after a new low, but eventually I will get a new low.
I am losing very slowly, so I choose to weigh myself only once or twice a week. That's enough to keep me from cheating but not so much as to be discouraging.

My energy varies too. It evens out over a number of days.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NewestAtkinsFan
Stats: ~350/292/2??
WOE: M&E/Atkins On-going Induction
Start Date: April 3, 2013
a "whoosh" will come soon, I promise!

Hi, MissMindz.

Don't feel bad, believe me when I say this, "we have all been there" when it comes to not seeing the scale move and we are beginning to second-guess ourselves and consider "is all of this hard work worth it?" Yes, it most certainly is.

Today is my Atkinsversary and to date I have lost 57lbs! What has kept me going during this year is 2 things: 1) As long as I do my part, the body will do its part-- meaning if I kept my menu low carb and ate what I should the body will hold up its end of this "unspoken" cosmical agreement. That leads me to the 2nd thing that kept me going-- if it is not pounds I am losing (the weight on the scale) it's inches. You can't expect all your results and change to appear on the scale... you got to make room for the non-scale victories too! (clothes fitting better, clothes soon becoming too big, getting back into that favorite pair of jeans that's been in the back of the closet for years, etc.!) Those non-scale victories in my opinion are even BETTER than seeing the number go down on the scale.

Plus, you've had personal success doing this LC WOE, so you know it works. You just have to give it time. And after the first few weeks the weight does seem to fall off at a slower rate, but the important thing is it continues to drop. Now, should you actually fall into a stall, there are ways you can try to get out of it, but what I'm sensing is that you were used to seeing 5 or more pounds drop each week/each weigh-in at the beginning, and now that it's roughly 1 to 2lbs or less (b/c the weight loss has slowed) you have become a bit worried.

But don't be! You are doing great it seems! And we (the lowcarbfriends family) can't wait to hear about all your success in the weeks and months ahead! In the meantime, browse the threads, get new recipes to "spice up" your menu, and take a look at all the journals for motivation, reflection, and inspiration.

Wishing you nothing but success on your LC journey!

NAF
NewestAtkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for that guys. That article was particularly interesting. I think I probably should up my water intake too. I'm really good at it at work but when I get home or on the weekends I just forget to drink!
Old 04-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I think the thing is with the scale personally, is that of I don't weigh very regularly, I lose that daily accountability and am more likely to cheat! It's definitely a love/hate relationship though!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMindz View Post
I think the thing is with the scale personally, is that of I don't weigh very regularly, I lose that daily accountability and am more likely to cheat! It's definitely a love/hate relationship though!
Oh, we ALL know how that goes, so don't feel bad at all. Take a look at how we feel about our friend the scale.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I have read articles that say it's harder the second (or third or fourth) time around with any diet. Your body learns to anticipate the diet and gives up fat slower. For me, low carb is the easiest thing to make a lifestyle. I've been low carb for about 14 years.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/263/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
My weight loss has been very slow recently too...but for me what helps is a) how much better I feel regardless of weight loss and b) the realization that even in the Biggest Loser where they basically starve while running on treadmills 18 hours a day, some weeks have little to no loss. Any diet will have plateaus. That said, I wanted to throw my scale against the wall today and I may have called it names that would probably get this comment deleted if I were to include them.
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Sometimes I weigh every day, but when I do, I keep track and average the scale numbers out every week, and the average number is the "real" number. It helps me to visualize that day by day my numbers might bounce around, but the long term trend is usually downward.

But if the scale is bumming me out, I try to stay off of it .
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Wow, NewestAtkinsFan, that's a really interesting thread and so many of the comments I can relate to! I think I do need to just chill out a bit and have faith that this will work. I've gotten this far without even so much as a cheat day so the hard part is done. When I was going through the induction flu I felt soooo crap that I made a promise to myself that I will never need to do that again. It has to be a life change, not a diet!

I guess until the scale moves I'll just try and focus on the positives like how amazing my skin is looking and how awesome it will be when I can finally wear a clingy dress without feeling self concious!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wow, NewestAtkinsFan, that's a really interesting thread and so many of the comments I can relate to! I think I do need to just chill out a bit and have faith that this will work. I've gotten this far without even so much as a cheat day so the hard part is done. When I was going through the induction flu I felt soooo crap that I made a promise to myself that I will never need to do that again. It has to be a life change, not a diet!

I guess until the scale moves I'll just try and focus on the positives like how amazing my skin is looking and how awesome it will be when I can finally wear a clingy dress without feeling self concious!

You got this, MissMindz! And we are behind you 100%.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:55 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2014
I am almost 5 weeks in and have only lost 6 pounds, but I have lost 10.75 inches on my body, I feel better, and my clothes fit better. I am doing an only meat challenge right now for a few days and it seems to be jump starting my weightloss. Hang in there!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:27 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
The scale is just a number that can change (or not) for a variety of reasons. It's not reasonable to expect to lose weight every week, particularly when you only have so little to lose. You may find several weeks go by and then only a lose of a pound or two.

Find your motivation elsewhere.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

It might not seem like I have a lot to lose to you but it is the most I have ever had to lose and it seems like a lot to me.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerickson View Post
I am almost 5 weeks in and have only lost 6 pounds, but I have lost 10.75 inches on my body, I feel better, and my clothes fit better. I am doing an only meat challenge right now for a few days and it seems to be jump starting my weightloss. Hang in there!
Wow, great job, jerickson!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jerickson
Stats: 195/185.6/125?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2, 2014
Thank you newestatkinsfan! Your stats are fantastic and are motivation to me! I appreciate all the positive reinforcement that we get on this site. Missmindz I hear you about the weight being a lot to you. When you are not comfortable with your weight even 5 pounds can be a lot to you. I hope you take the advice and stay the course like I am, from looking at all the b4 and after pictures, it will be worth it!
jerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

I finally saw the first movement all week this morning 1.5lb. You guys must have taken a weight off my shoulders
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/250/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Rocking!
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverlynx35
Stats: 285/260/185
WOE: Low Carb/No Sugar
Start Date: February 2014
Keep in mind:
A. Two pounds a week is pretty darn good.
B. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
Silverlynx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I finally saw the first movement all week this morning 1.5lb. You guys must have taken a weight off my shoulders
You go, MissMindz! Here's hoping the success continues for you.