LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Randee
Stats: 216/189/whatever feels right
WOE: Modified Atkins
LCing on vacation

Hi all,
I am going on a 10 day vacation (1st time we've done that since marrying 14 years ago). I've been LCing since last Fall. I could use your ideas/advice on snacking and general advice on how to eat well during the vacation. We'll be riding a train, and staying overnight on it, so refrigeration is not available for chilled snacks (i.e. yogurt, cheese ). I've got some ideas for snacks, but what's worked for you? Also, your best advice on keeping on track meal-wise while we vacation. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Randee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 03:05 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/144.8/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
DH and I traveled earlier this year and I maintained my weight by eating HB eggs for breakfast, salads for lunch and choosing wisely at dinner. Snacks I packed were mini beef jerky sticks, snack size almond packs and very dark chocolate squares. Actually I did better than I thought I would because my kitchen wasn't available to me! Enjoy your vacation!
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
As much as I enjoy dinning on trains (really) they are not really low carb freindly. If meals are included in fare you can always just not eat the starchy stuff. Food is pricey in dinning cars, snack bar.
Even with out ice chest cheese keeps a couple of days. I take a tupperware container in my carry-on. Cubes of chedder, parmisan, cellery sticks. Also small containers of peanutbutter. Tuna packets with small pks of mayo & mustard. Be sure to pack plastic forks etc. Of course, jerky, nuts, etc.

I also advise taking more food than you think you will need. On Amtrak, my trains have ran late on several occasions, was on train extra 3 to 26 hrs.
NAT&RD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
If the meal(s) are included then most all services will provide a gluten free option upon request. While it may not be low carb chances are it'll be closer to what you need. (although one time they included a cookie in mine and I thought "what about gluten free do you not understand" )

I second the nut/seed packs, peanut butter cups, jerky, tuna etc. also depending on how much you want to haul around - the pop top meats deviled ham/beef/sardines (if you can take the sodium ) , lc cookies (like flourless pnut butter type), shelf stable SF jello. Boullion (that way you can just get hot water if need be).

Last edited by webcrystal; 04-03-2014 at 08:55 AM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Randee
Stats: 216/189/whatever feels right
WOE: Modified Atkins
Thanks all! Great ideas. Very helpful.
Randee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I bring a small cooler on the train with me every summer. I can pack whatever I need. You can pick one up at walgreens.
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:02 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
If it's within your "carb budget", you could see if you could find packets of protein shake mix (that you mix with water) for breakfast. If you eat LC desserts at home, you could also make some of those and take them along. Also, packaged cheese (real cheese, like cheddar) shouldn't need refrigeration.

Have a good vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randee View Post
Hi all,
I am going on a 10 day vacation (1st time we've done that since marrying 14 years ago). I've been LCing since last Fall. I could use your ideas/advice on snacking and general advice on how to eat well during the vacation. We'll be riding a train, and staying overnight on it, so refrigeration is not available for chilled snacks (i.e. yogurt, cheese ). I've got some ideas for snacks, but what's worked for you? Also, your best advice on keeping on track meal-wise while we vacation. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:41 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/259/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
I packed a bunch of packages of that supermarket precooked bacon last time I was out of town...it was a life saver!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote