Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Hmmm... more protein to feel better?

I wonder if I was going to low on protein before.

yesterday and today I increased my protein alot and seem to have a much better focus.

I still think I am in good range, but wanted to hear if this sounds normal.

I did a one hour step class this am. 7-8, then ate 3 steamed egg whites and onions at 9.

Lunch- no time ( class and crazy schedule today), I ate 1-2 oz of grill chicken at 1:00 om

430- 3 oz of chicken breast with about .5 cup of broccoli

8- another grill chicken breast ( 4 oz) with salad greens and .5 broccoli ( i think it may have been a cup). I was tooo tired to measure it all out and needed to eat as I felt fatigued.

Anyhow, this is not typical for me, but I did notice I was not totally dragging despite a workout, 2 -3 hour classes and I also gave a presentation in between classes.

Then, I tutored for 3 hours.

Need sleep!! lol
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Wow--you're a busy gal!

I know there are recommendations regarding how much protein we should have, based on various factors. But how you feel should be one of those factors. Give it a try for a short while and see how you do!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/155/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I'd be in a coma if I ate that little fat, and that little overall! Child, eat some butter!
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bill2012
may I suggest you to bottle some olive oil or coconut oil in your backpack?
bill2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
I'd be in a coma if I ate that little fat, and that little overall! Child, eat some butter!
I was thinking the same thing. In the absence of carbs then you need fat. Protein is a poor energy source (comparatively). I see that you want to keep it moderate fat. Perhaps instead of three egg white, do two egg whites w/one whole egg (that'll make the eggs taste better too .

You seemed to eat mostly chicken (at least that day). So not sure if red meat is off your list, if so you might want to try to eat some fattier fish they have a better type of fat typically. Add an avocado. A few nuts/seeds.

You also need fats to absorb certain fat soluable vitamins. Remember fat is not evil - bad fats are what are evil.

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Peace, I say this with all sincerity in a bid to help........you seem to be all over the place with your diet. I wonder how you could possibly know what works and what doesn't by changing things daily.

Have you considered picking a plan (any plan) and sticking with it for 2 weeks? Maybe you could find one that suits your food choices, which seems to be salad, egg whites and chicken. Figure out your protein needs (you exercise a lot), carb level and fat needs. There are calculators and formulae to help.

Then track how you feel for 2 weeks (I think a month would be better) at least and see where you are in terms of wanting to tweak anything.

I wish you the best and know you are just trying to find what works best, as we all are.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Ah sorry didn't realize when I replied that it was you Peace. Forget that about the yolks. I remember you don't like the yolks which is why you just eat the white. but still think you might want to add some other good fats in. I do remember you said you eat fish and GFed Beef. Maybe you can mix it up during the day instead of all chicken breast (which I'm guessing had the skin removed). That way you get lean plus some fats to sustain you.

(it wouldn't let me edit my post above...)
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the suggestions. ActuAlyy I don't think I am over the place with my plan. I eat mod protein, low carbs and some fat. That hasn't changed in 12 years��

The only concern I have is the how my much fat to have to feel my best. Protein-- I think I figured 70 would. Be best. Carbs under 20. Yep!money as tight so I haven't been eating red mmeat but def an option!!

Web- ty for recognising the yolk issue
Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I just read my reply, I am sorrrrry for the spelling and grammer. I was in class and using my phone to reply!

Ok, I need to thank you for being concerned, G! And I understand it looks like I am all over the place, but not so much. My protein and fat are fluctuating, but not a tremendous amount. Also, my activity and schedule is very "all over the place" which makes it difficult to keep the same portions everyday. However, I am trying to do this.

Today was a weird day-
Weight class-7-8
shower
a few egg whites ( on the go)
tutor 1030-1230
2 oz fish and salad in car on way to meeting
1-230 meeting
5 oz of chicken breast!!! omg, I was hungry
class 230-530
1 oz of chicken
tutor students 530-7
dinner - fish, veggies -- about 3/4 oz of protein

then--finally made it to the grocery store so i could STOP spending money on outside food-
came home, had 2 bags of pork rinds???????? out of the blue- I dont even like them but I had a pounding headache

can of tuna in oil

So, I added it up and I am around 1500, maybe 1600 cal and that was a HEAVY, heavy, heavy eating day, I never eat pork rinds or that much protein, but I felt extremely tired and just "out of it" so I thought maybe I needed sodium and fat.

What do you guys think? I need sleep now!

and.. thanks for being a great team and understanding as I move forward.

I am really starting to think I am getting keto adapted now, and perhaps this "flu=like" symptoms are a result of me drastically reducing carbs, no more aspartame and no more artificial anything in the past 2 weeks.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and i just have to say that the stress of having to keep eating to keep going all day was not good. No way in HECK could I do this type of eating everyday. Mentally, it is exhausting.

Another epiphany
Old 04-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
Reading about your day made me tired!

Can you have peanut butter or almond butter? Small cans of olives? Chicken in a can--can make a quick chicken salad with this? Just trying to think of "on-the-go" foods that will hold you and add a little variety. Your life is so hectic that you need food as simple as you can find!
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hey Peace! Here's a thought. You can and do cook it sounds like, right? Do you have one day a week that you could cook? Make a meal plan, fix your food, store it portioned out. If you have a little cooler, throw the food in it in the morning and go.

Then, you don't have to worry about eating out, while on the run. Still sounds like you'll be eating on the run, but with less thought. Well, except that one day a week you plan and cook. Sounds like a lot going on and you'll figure it out. It seems paradoxical that you may have to eat more, to lose. That's what I finally convinced my daughter to do, and guess what? It worked!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Thanks Peace, I did post with the intent to help. I think the one glaring thing missing from your menu is fat (as others have mentioned). I know you are trying to do moderate fat. Are you putting anything on your chicken? Are you eating the skin? Do you dip it in anything?

I think you will feel full longer if you up your fat intake. Have you tried crisping up chicken skins? They are delicious, I call it chicken bacon.

Snowangel ideas are great for prepping for the week. You do have a very trying schedule. I wish you the best.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I think you're tired and hungry because you're not getting enough fat. That would make anyone tired and hungry. No one can go all day eating just egg whites.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Emily- I am def eating more than just egg whites, but thanks I need more fat, this I know. I guess I just will have to do it slowly... or maybe not and take the plunge.

I like the idea of prepping early. Thanks! I think I posted already that I do not cook and absolutely can say "ITS NOT MY STRENGTH". But, arctic gave me some suggestions, and I have to learn to be patient in the kitchen. It is kind of bad... I start eating the vegetables when I am cutting them out of anxiety.. I know, kind of weird. Trying to work on it though. Plus, I can easily grill chicken on my own and in my own oil, not the crap out in the stores.

I luv the idea of chicken skins but I dont know where to get them. The pork skins really took a toll on mystomach and mind today. Everyone said I look exhausted and I actually have bags.. under my eyes which never happens to me. Maybe it was all the salt. ?

Yep. Today was better overal. I think I recognize that I need to slow down or I will never make it throught this progam.

So, I had an appt at 9, then tutored from 10-1, salad with tuna in oil at 1

Tutored until 330.

Gym 530-630
Friends over for dinner at 7. I will have salad with tuna just because I am so POOR right now and that is all I have....lol.

No worries though. I can only be thankful that I have food at all when I see others in the world who starve

Also, I am grateful that I have the disciplin e( like ALL of you) to eat low carb without ingesting unhealthy foods

Off to meeting, then the gym!