LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
I don't get this "no hunger" thing...

I understand the mechanics of why we are supposed to feel less hunger on LC, but am I the only one to find it isn't true? I see many people here make the comment that they just aren't hungry any more and I don't get it.

I am always still hungry. I have no trouble drinking my eight big glasses of water every day because I gulp down a glass every time I feel like reaching for something to eat in the hopes that it will "fill me up".

Like tonight for example. My Dinner was a large plate of stirfry, with bok choy, broccoli, mushrooms, and chicken. All were sauteed in EVOO, with condensed chicken broth. I followed that with two fat bombs (I will say, I think mine are smaller than the ones most here make), a coffee with HWC, and then two hours after I had a OMM with 1tbls natural peanut butter. It is now two hours after that and I am struggling to not be eating. In all that time, I have also had 4 8oz glasses of water.

Especially at night, I find I am always hungry. When I wake up in the morning, I can go for a few hours before I feel like I have to eat. Later in the day though? Can't get enough food.

Any suggestions, other than stuffing my face? Will it eventually go away and I'll get this miraculous "no hunger" that everyone talks about?
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Well, I don't really know what to say because my lack of hunger just appeared on its own. During the first week or so I didn't limit my intake but by the second I had slowed down.

My first question is whether you've ballparked your caloric intake and macros. If so, are you eating around those numbers?

I am also curious as to whether you use sugar substitutes or drink diet sodas. You mentioned fatbombs which I know many people sweeten with fake sugar. I know that for some it can cause cravings and a general feeling of hunger. For me I feel ill if I eat them but I also do start feeling hungry.

The only other thing is that perhaps you're eating something with hidden carbs? Your diet sounds pretty good, so maybe not. I'd suggest you wean yourself off of the fake sugar and do without for a couple weeks. If you're still hungry then maybe up your caloric intake?
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatadventurer View Post
Well, I don't really know what to say because my lack of hunger just appeared on its own. During the first week or so I didn't limit my intake but by the second I had slowed down.

My first question is whether you've ballparked your caloric intake and macros. If so, are you eating around those numbers?

I am also curious as to whether you use sugar substitutes or drink diet sodas. You mentioned fatbombs which I know many people sweeten with fake sugar. I know that for some it can cause cravings and a general feeling of hunger. For me I feel ill if I eat them but I also do start feeling hungry.

The only other thing is that perhaps you're eating something with hidden carbs? Your diet sounds pretty good, so maybe not. I'd suggest you wean yourself off of the fake sugar and do without for a couple weeks. If you're still hungry then maybe up your caloric intake?
I have used an artificial sweetener exactly twice. I am allergic to aspartame, and don't care for the after taste of Truvia and Splenda. I drink nothing but water, tea, and the occasional coffee.

Calories? Depends on what I eat. In the past week, I have had as low as 1270, and as high as 2200. Some days I forget to add in little things like the butter I fry my eggs in, etc. (Like now, I just looked and I was at 990, but I didn't add in butter at breakfast, or EVOO at supper and jumped to 1300)

Macros? I don't know my exact macros. But again, today for example, I am at 6% carbs, 66% fat, and 27% protein, and that is what I have been holding for a little over a week. I was trying more for a 5/60/35 split before, and I am not sure where I got those numbers from. Now I am trying more for a 5/70/25, honestly because the advice I received was "more fat!"

ETA: All my numbers/percentages come from my tracker app

Last edited by Reddress; 04-02-2014 at 06:28 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Try Googling a keto calculator and running your stats through that. That will give you a better idea of how much and what to eat. Depending on height, weight and activity level, it can vary greatly.

From what you've said about your caloric intake, try to even it out a little if you can. Maybe your body is feeling a little starved or that food is unreliable and is trying to stock up?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/189/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
There have been studies that show that eating breakfast can help reduce night-time eating. So that's something you could try.

I also eat dinner later now, generally. I find that not having 5 or more hours after dinner, but before I go to bed, helps keep me from looking around for something to eat.

And, depending on your current weight and activity level, you might just be hungry. 1200 cals for a day is low for most people, and 2200 is still probably lower than I ate on a regular diet at 5' 4" and 220 lbs.

I am one of the lucky ones whose hunger is vastly reduced by ketosis, but I wouldn't say I'm *not* hungry, I'd say that pretty much I am only hungry at mealtimes.

leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Try Googling a keto calculator and running your stats through that. That will give you a better idea of how much and what to eat. Depending on height, weight and activity level, it can vary greatly.

From what you've said about your caloric intake, try to even it out a little if you can. Maybe your body is feeling a little starved or that food is unreliable and is trying to stock up?
I just did that. Looking at the macros, and my totals for the day, I am low on fat and carbs.

My caloric intake is very dependent on fat I find. Yesterday I was 2200. (the next highest day was 1800) I ate cream , cream cheese, mayo based dressing, nuts, and cheese. Today I've only had 1 oz of cheese, one tablespoon of cream, but a few tablespoons of EVOO and some coconut oil

So If I try to stick to these numbers (OMG talk about making this even more difficult, not only tracking net carbs, but total fat, calories, and protein too) then I should hit this magical no hunger state?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeloo View Post
There have been studies that show that eating breakfast can help reduce night-time eating. So that's something you could try.

I also eat dinner later now, generally. I find that not having 5 or more hours after dinner, but before I go to bed, helps keep me from looking around for something to eat.

And, depending on your current weight and activity level, you might just be hungry. 1200 cals for a day is low for most people, and 2200 is still probably lower than I ate on a regular diet at 5' 4" and 220 lbs.

I am one of the lucky ones whose hunger is vastly reduced by ketosis, but I wouldn't say I'm *not* hungry, I'd say that pretty much I am only hungry at mealtimes.
I do eat breakfast every day, although sometimes I don't eat it until an hour or two after I wake up. Most mornings I have three eggs with mushrooms, spinach, cream, and cheese.

You are probably right about the calories - I definitely ate more than 2200 when I started (at 221 and 5'3)

This all is so hard! I figured, hey less than 20 carbs and done and this just keeps getting more and more complicated
Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

What was your caloric intake recommended at?

Don't worry too much about the carbs. Eat some vegis, particularly leafy greens at two meals and you should be fine. Make sure you hit the protein target or you could end up losing muscle mass rather than body fat. As for your fat portion, get close as you can each day. Some people say that you should only eat fat up to that maximum if you're hungry. Others find it more important. Personally, I think I do better hitting the target each day than when I don't and I'm not talking about hunger. I seem to lose best if I do that too.

As for not being hungry... I think it will improve but each person is different. Don't sweat the tracking too much. I think once you work out what and how much to eat things become less of a fuss.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
This all is so hard! I figured, hey less than 20 carbs and done and this just keeps getting more and more complicated
It's really not. You'll get the hang of it if you keep trying.

I feel like I've said this a million times, and I know I just posted it on this thread Frustrated with trying to keep track of carbs and calories - any advice?

"...... this time around I rarely weigh and measure stuff. My meals are really simple, 90+% of the time. A meal is a protein, a salad with full-fat dressing, and often a cooked vegetable. Keeping it simple means I don't have to mess with measuring and tracking.

I do "spot check" my eating from time to time, to make sure I'm eating enough of the right stuff, and if I went into a stall the first thing I'd do would be to start tracking again. But it's more of a problem-solving strategy for me now, rather than a daily practice."
Old 04-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
I've been low carbing for a little over five weeks, and I will say that while I do still get hungry, its much less intense than before I started. And the busier I am, the less I notice my hunger. Fat really helps. Don't skimp if you can help it.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What was your caloric intake recommended at?

Don't worry too much about the carbs. Eat some vegis, particularly leafy greens at two meals and you should be fine. Make sure you hit the protein target or you could end up losing muscle mass rather than body fat. As for your fat portion, get close as you can each day. Some people say that you should only eat fat up to that maximum if you're hungry. Others find it more important. Personally, I think I do better hitting the target each day than when I don't and I'm not talking about hunger. I seem to lose best if I do that too.

As for not being hungry... I think it will improve but each person is different. Don't sweat the tracking too much. I think once you work out what and how much to eat things become less of a fuss.
Caloric intake was 1750. Protein at 75 g, 152 g fat, 20 g carbs

So where do you get your fat from, if you are maxed out on carbs and protein? I mean, even my fat bombs are half a gram of carb each, and they only have like 6 g of fat. Eat oil by the spoonful?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBigKahuna
Stats: 290/233/220
WOE: reduced carb
Start Date: January 2014
I have days where I'm hungry all day, no matter what I eat. Luckily those days don't come often. Most days I have little to no appetite. I'm been on LC for 2.5 months.
TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I feel like I've said this a million times
Sorry if this sounds bad! I just meant that I've been repeating myself a lot lately .
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Caloric intake was 1750. Protein at 75 g, 152 g fat, 20 g carbs

So where do you get your fat from, if you are maxed out on carbs and protein? I mean, even my fat bombs are half a gram of carb each, and they only have like 6 g of fat. Eat oil by the spoonful?
LOL! Well... sometimes I do! Coconut oil, the unrefined stuff, is delicious. That said, pre-plan a few meals in one of those planners so you know what they come to. That way you will be able to work things out so you get a bit of all your macros in each meal. I find that easier than trying to add one or another at the end of a day. That said I love coffee blended with butter and coconut oil for breakfast.

Anyway, when it comes to making LCHF/keto meals, the easiest fat adder is choosing fattier cuts of meat. Sauces are probably the next easiest option. I love steak with a sauce made of blue cheese and cream. Or you can do a mustard sauce with dried mustard powder and cream. You can also do a gravy like sauce with cream, pan drippings and psyllium husks. Salad dressings work for vegis but be very careful if you buy them premade that they don't have hidden sugars or flours. Soft cheeses usually have higher fat content and so can be added on to salads, eggs or meats.

If you do end up needing to add one type of macro or another then pre-plan snacks. Macadamia nuts and cream cheese are great snacks and so are oven crisped slices of salami. Tinned fish are great too but watch the fish breath .
Old 04-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
LOL! Well... sometimes I do! Coconut oil, the unrefined stuff, is delicious. That said, pre-plan a few meals in one of those planners so you know what they come to. That way you will be able to work things out so you get a bit of all your macros in each meal. I find that easier than trying to add one or another at the end of a day. That said I love coffee blended with butter and coconut oil for breakfast.

Anyway, when it comes to making LCHF/keto meals, the easiest fat adder is choosing fattier cuts of meat. Sauces are probably the next easiest option. I love steak with a sauce made of blue cheese and cream. Or you can do a mustard sauce with dried mustard powder and cream. You can also do a gravy like sauce with cream, pan drippings and psyllium husks. Salad dressings work for vegis but be very careful if you buy them premade that they don't have hidden sugars or flours. Soft cheeses usually have higher fat content and so can be added on to salads, eggs or meats.

If you do end up needing to add one type of macro or another then pre-plan snacks. Macadamia nuts and cream cheese are great snacks and so are oven crisped slices of salami. Tinned fish are great too but watch the fish breath .
After losing 13 lbs in my first two weeks, I have only lost 1 lb in the next two weeks. Maybe this is why?

Now, lets make this more difficult, lol. I work two jobs and can not always cook. One of them provides me with a meal every day. So far I've been picking what I can out of it, but other than that I have no real choice in what I eat. I can and do bring snacks, but I never have any idea what I will be eating, or if I can eat any of it, on those days.

My protein I see, I actually need less than what I eat. 3 eggs in the morning plus one chicken breast at supper and I am over. I had been taking pepperoni, etc, with me to work, but maybe I should stop or I will always be over on protein if my breakfast and one serving at supper already puts me over.

Fat? I don't know. I guess I get used to eating it off the spoon. Fatty cut of meat makes sense, but if I only get one piece of meat a day, then that won't add much. Sauces are a good idea too, but according to Atkins I should only have 2-3 tablespoons a day. That is basically a cup of coffee and maybe some tea. It doesn't leave enough to make sauces. I tried to make BPC and I did not care for it at all, it was soooo greasy/oily.

Last edited by Reddress; 04-02-2014 at 07:52 PM..
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgidaho
Stats: 221/193/160
WOE: Low Carb--began with Atkins
Start Date: March 21, 2013
I have only had a few brief shining moments where I literally did not want to eat. But with regards to hunger before LC and now, the intensity of the hunger and how it manifests itself is markedly different.

Before LC, I would become shaky, weak, and scattered in my thoughts when hungry. I was always more of a salt/savory person but found myself hiding candy everywhere--like Bottlecaps and Spree. I could eat an entire roll in just a few moments. My body craved sugar and I began to obsess with it.

Since LC, I still get hungry. I tend to graze more at work from my drawer of low carb snacks, probably more for the entertainment value. At home, I tend to eat less. And if I'm really interested in something I'm doing, I'll forget to eat until my stomach demands food. I still get snacky in ketosis, but it's more of a head thing now than true hunger.

Still, many of us do face hunger in ketosis, it's just not as demanding a taskmaster as when we were sugar-burners.
dgidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I'm a very busy law student and work part time too. For me time is a luxury because there is always something I should be doing. The way I get around it is to go on a cooking explosion on one of my off days. I usually cook at least one stew and one roast. I also pre-make sauces and portion out meals.

It isn't as crazy as it sounds and it keeps me from making bad choices during the week. You said you are given one meal a day. Well, nobody is making you eat it. On this diet eating sugar or carbs knocks you out of ketosis and the combination of fat and carbs is instant weight gain. Take your meal you know are good or lots of snacks that keep.

For your breakfast, try two eggs cooked in two tablespoons of butter and add some cream cheese and spinach/seasonal greens. For lunch have the other egg or the equivalent with more veg and fatty sauce. Dinner can still be that chicken breast with whatever non-sugary veg and sauce you want. If your protein is still a bit high, eat a chicken thigh (fattier and nicer tasting) or a smaller breast.

Remember the macros are a guideline. You can go slightly over or under, so long as it's not drastically under or over.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You said you are given one meal a day. Well, nobody is making you eat it. On this diet eating sugar or carbs knocks you out of ketosis and the combination of fat and carbs is instant weight gain. Take your meal you know are good or lots of snacks that keep.

For your breakfast, try two eggs cooked in two tablespoons of butter and add some cream cheese and spinach/seasonal greens. For lunch have the other egg or the equivalent with more veg and fatty sauce. Dinner can still be that chicken breast with whatever non-sugary veg and sauce you want. If your protein is still a bit high, eat a chicken thigh (fattier and nicer tasting) or a smaller breast.

Remember the macros are a guideline. You can go slightly over or under, so long as it's not drastically under or over.
I do not have to eat the meal I am given, but I can not sit at the table and eat a different meal either. (Group home, where the participants are not able to understand the "why does she get something different? I don't want this, I want that instead") Some nights I can eat the veg and sometimes I can eat the meat, but i can not have more than my allowed portion. Some days I can eat nothing at all, and have to hide in the bathroom to eat my snacks.

I usually eat my morning eggs with spinach and mushrooms. I will try to cut back to two eggs in the morning, so I have one for lunch.

I will really try to watch these carefully and hopefully it will make a difference, so I won't feel hungry and so I can actually start losing some weight (besides my 2 week induction loss)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
In general, my hunger varies alot, but definitely need to force myself to eat most days.. not sure if this is all that healthy.

I do find that low carb keeps me fuller longer. I think it just takes time to readjjust to not eating as much as before.

I think time is the key, it will just happen naturally. At least for me, this is what happened but I have been LC for about 10 years.

Exercise is the only thing that really makes my hunger increase. If I dont workout, I probably would eat like a bird. lol
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Fat? I don't know. I guess I get used to eating it off the spoon. Fatty cut of meat makes sense, but if I only get one piece of meat a day, then that won't add much. Sauces are a good idea too, but according to Atkins I should only have 2-3 tablespoons a day. That is basically a cup of coffee and maybe some tea. It doesn't leave enough to make sauces. I tried to make BPC and I did not care for it at all, it was soooo greasy/oily.
Okay, I'm confused. What do you mean you're only supposed to have 2-3 tablespoons of sauce a day? What does sauce mean in the Atkins verse? When I use the term, I'm talking about getting cream or sour cream and mixing it with a herbs/spices/cheese/drippings.

For example, I will slow cook a pork chop in a pan and when it is done I will add sour cream, sage and salt and pepper to the pan drippings. I then pour on the pork chop.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/178/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Same here, leeloo. Helps that we don't have young kids around anymore that we need to feed earlier. These days dinner is between 7 and 7:30. This helps me HUGELY. I'm usually tucked in for the night and reading a good book before I have the chance to get hungry again. And once my teeth are brushed and I'm in-between the sheets, I don't get back out again often, not even for food.

Reddress---since you say you don't struggle w/hunger earlier in the day, perhaps you might consider shifting your eating times. I too am almost never hungry in the beginning of the day, in fact, have never been a breakfast person, unless it's breakfast for lunch. I have no interest in eating till I've been up for at least a few hours. It's been like this for me since I was young, and no one can convince me to be a breakfast person, for whatever all the touted benefits are. Because that's not what my body tell me I want.

I think our bodies have their own clocks in so many ways, including eating. And I think we sometimes get pressured to eat when others eat. I say take advantage of your lack of appetite in the beginning of the day. Eat lunch later, eat dinner later.

As for "hunger" well, that's a really loaded word, and demands we ask ourselves if we're really hungry, or if we just need a food hit. It's a tough line to tow, but as you refine your woe, listen to your body, and make better choices, I think you'll find it easier to differentiate between real hunger and mind hunger.

I said easier, not easy. That line is always thin, for all of us.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

You can also do herb butters. The other week I had a fillet of barramundi that I had breaded in hazelnut meal and friend in butter with lemon juice, a salad and garlic herb butter on the side.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Okay, I'm confused. What do you mean you're only supposed to have 2-3 tablespoons of sauce a day? What does sauce mean in the Atkins verse? When I use the term, I'm talking about getting cream or sour cream and mixing it with a herbs/spices/cheese/drippings.

For example, I will slow cook a pork chop in a pan and when it is done I will add sour cream, sage and salt and pepper to the pan drippings. I then pour on the pork chop.
You said you mixed cream with drippings, and cream with mustard, etc, to make sauces. Atkins says only total 2-3 tablespoons of cream a day. (cream, not sauce, sorry if I was unclear) if i put any cream in my coffee, etc, I have no cream left over to make sauces. As it is I already consume the max cream (1tbls with my eggs, 1tbls in coffee, 1 tbls in tea), so making sauces wouldn't make a difference to my fat intake.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
Same here, leeloo. Helps that we don't have young kids around anymore that we need to feed earlier. These days dinner is between 7 and 7:30. This helps me HUGELY. I'm usually tucked in for the night and reading a good book before I have the chance to get hungry again. And once my teeth are brushed and I'm in-between the sheets, I don't get back out again often, not even for food.

Reddress---since you say you don't struggle w/hunger earlier in the day, perhaps you might consider shifting your eating times. I too am almost never hungry in the beginning of the day, in fact, have never been a breakfast person, unless it's breakfast for lunch. I have no interest in eating till I've been up for at least a few hours. It's been like this for me since I was young, and no one can convince me to be a breakfast person, for whatever all the touted benefits are. Because that's not what my body tell me I want.

I think our bodies have their own clocks in so many ways, including eating. And I think we sometimes get pressured to eat when others eat. I say take advantage of your lack of appetite in the beginning of the day. Eat lunch later, eat dinner later.

As for "hunger" well, that's a really loaded word, and demands we ask ourselves if we're really hungry, or if we just need a food hit. It's a tough line to tow, but as you refine your woe, listen to your body, and make better choices, I think you'll find it easier to differentiate between real hunger and mind hunger.

I said easier, not easy. That line is always thin, for all of us.
I had been shifting my eating times many days. Breakfast not until closer to 11, then lunch around 3:30 before I go to work. Then supper at work is 5. Then I don't get home until 10:30.

If I don't work, I'm often eating "lunch" at my families supper time. (We eat early, kids are hungry after school and need to eat before activities.) That doesn't work either, because then I am missing a whole meal, or need to eat it around 9pm. I've been forcing myself to eat earlier in the mornings (9am) so that I can eat lunch at a regular time, then have snack before work if I am working or supper, then snack if I am at home.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Then go the herb butter route or use cream cheese if that is allowed for sauces. Clear sauces are also possible using pan drippings, extra butter if needed, stock and psyllium husks.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Then go the herb butter route or use cream cheese if that is allowed for sauces. Clear sauces are also possible using pan drippings, extra butter if needed, stock and psyllium husks.
I'll have to look for psyllium husks, thanks. Would they have them at the grocery store, or would I have to special order them?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Sorry about the confusion over Atkins and cream. I'm LCHF, which doesn't limit the dairy.

A grocery story should have them or you can buy the unflavored metamucil tablets. They are 100% psyllium husk but are more expensive.

You might also want to try broths. You can always add a tablespoon of butter to chicken or egg drop soup for example. Just mix very well with a blender, in a thermos or other container. I took some of this to a Aussie Rules game with a friend and sipped it through the match. Kept me warm and full.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: atkins 72
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
I flip flop. There isn't a 'magic no hunger all the time' for me at all!

some days I am perfectly fine/not hungry/ into that great feeling of NOT needing hardly any food---then whammo, I am wanting to eat 24 hrs a day. chew something. fill up the tummy with anything. And this can last for days also and all of the sudden I am back to not feeling hungry again.

I ain't fooling myself--it is stinking hard then throw in some 'cravings' on those wanting to eat hungrier days and boom, I got a recipe for disaster.

I've read on this board not everyone gets that great feeling of no hunger. everyone is truly different.

My eating schedule is important for me tho. I need to eat later at night. If I eat lunch on the later side, say 3-4, I am not hungry in the 6-7 range at all. So around 9 am I wanting tons of food. I don't want dinner at 9 so I snack out. bad.

I think a big key for me personally is eating at specific times and sticking to it. the minute I change my eating schedule, on the fly, travelling, going out etc., I get into trouble.

I don't really know what to tell you I am kinda in the same boat. Ketosis sure isn't a miracle help for me at all. If I got the no hungry feeling all the time I would be great, but it changes up on me.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shunsweets
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2003
Reddress - just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have never gotten appetite suppression with low carb. Even a 5 day fat fast with unlimited calories did not turn off my constant hunger. I follow a strict Bernstein diet and am always in ketosis but still hungry. I have diabetes and attribute it to that but I, too, am jealous when I read those posts from people lucky enough to get appetite suppression.

No wisdom here. I have been doing this for many years and haven't found a solution. Some days I white knuckle it through hunger and somedays I eat meat or fat to try to fill the void.

Last edited by shunsweets; 04-03-2014 at 06:02 AM..
shunsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
You live in a group home, but even they are required to deal with special dietary needs. It's up to you to make it important enough that they do...even if it means getting a doctor to sign off on the idea that you need to eat a low carb diet.

The hunger may be actual hunger...but it also may just be cravings or mental habit. Sometimes we have a hard time telling the difference. What I would do though is increase your fats. Mine run around 73% and I find that makes a big difference in whether or not I obsess about food or am satisfied.

I agree with Trigger about eating at specific times. I eat at the same time every day with 5 hours between meals - 8, 1 and 6. At first, I was white knuckling it through each hour and drinking a cup of hot chicken broth instead of eating. I won't lie. It took a few months to convince my head and stomach it wasn't going to win, but then it just got to be habit. Now I start to get hungry about an hour or 30 minutes before I'm scheduled to eat.

Even with LC'ing, our own self-control and discipline come into play. No miracles here.

Type 2 controlled by low carb diet <25gm carbs and and controlled protein.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote