mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #62
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aet2009
Stats: 322.6 sz 24/300.4 sz 24/??? size 10
WOE: HFLC 75f/20p/5c
Start Date: February 2014
Your work situation is strange to me. I have worked for 2 different "group home" type companies and never had restrictions on eating different foods than the clients or eating in front of them and we have never had problems. We are also not allowed lunch breaks due to the clients needing constant supervision. I don't know if it has to do with specific client issues, but I have worked with multitudes of clients with as many different issues (mental illness, varying levels of intellectual disability, brain injury, autism, etc...) and I am so confused by this.

That being said, I do think more fat is the answer. I do LCHF and have appetite suppression. My ideal day is 75f/5c/20p. The appetite suppression is such that if i ate a good amount of fat before work I wouldn't really need to eat at all during my 8 hour shift, except maybe a quick bit of cheese or nuts. I think I remember you saying you didn't like BPC because it was too greasy? If you get a stick blender and blend it for a few seconds that problem goes away. I think it just takes some time to acclimate. You will get there!

If you need ideas on how to get more fat, the nutritional ketosis section of this board has some good info.

Maybe you need to switch plans if Atkins isn't going to work with your schedule. Atkins isn't the be all-end all.

Last edited by aet2009; 04-07-2014 at 04:08 AM..
aet2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
I have worked in group homes, Medicaid waver homes, institution and the such... We were never told we couldn't eat something different in front of the residents of that home..but each company has their own set of rules, if they are providing a meal in lieu of a lunch break(understand there isn't enough staff for safety reasons to have a break) then you should be able to eat what you can. They wouldn't expect someone allergic to peanuts or strawberries to eat them if they are on the menu, tell them you have recently discovered you are intolerant to a number of foods and you HAVE to be able to eat your own food so you don't have a reaction. It's the truth if we weren't intolerant(or able to handle certain foods) we would not be here on this website to start with.
The foods we put in our mouth is the only thing in life we are in complete control of, unless we are tied down and force fed.
Well that's just my 2 cents
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NanaMary
Stats: 167/138/135
WOE: Low Carb High Fat
Start Date: January 2014
Just chiming in....I worked in a residential treatment facility and our rules were identical to Reddress' rules in her group homes. And yes I sometimes ate in the bathroom. The clients we served were violent and many of them had food issues. We were required to be with them at mealtimes and could eat what they were served, but of course were not required to eat. It makes following any type of plan very difficult, but it definitely is not worth creating a violent incident over in which either staff or clients could be injured. Also, the rules and regs for residential facilities are different than those for other types of employment. I live in the U.S. and although I know that at most places of employment there is a required lunch break or break time, in a residential facility those things are not required. Good luck Reddress I can really identify with what you're going through!
NanaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
My hunger never went away with lowcarbing. I did have to control my constant urge to snack though. It wasn't necessarily hunger for me, maybe something psychological, or a bad habit....snacking too much It also helped if I ate more protein at meals. Bacon and eggs wasn't really the most satisfying breakfast for me, but if I had steak and eggs, that would keep me going far longer.
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Just an update:

I did try adding more fat, and I can say now it made a difference. The thing is, fat feels very "heavy" to me, and I didn't feel very well physically with it. I am currently looking at some different plans to follow, while keeping the starchy carbs and sugars out of my diet.

Also, in regards to my work situation. I was able to work something out at the house I work at most frequently. I can eat my own meals in the kitchen at the table, but I can not eat them around 1 specific resident. So I have just been taking a few minutes before or after the main meal to eat my food. It has been working so far.

Thank you all for the support and ideas!!!
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Add the fat in small steps so the change won't feel as overwhelming.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
I agree that you might try ramping up a little at a time. Also the type of fat seems to make a difference for some. I've notice that coconut oil seems hard to make a big jump. I'm not sure what you used. Might go to avocado, eggs, nuts, meats (not bacon more like use chicken dark meat, 80% ground beef (grass fed is best but $$). For a snack pack - I buy this like package of little avocado cups called Wholly Guacamole - their spicy is awesome! great as a snack. and it's not got a lot of junk fillers. Since it comes in a cup with a peel off "lid" it's a great portable snack.

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: reptogirl
Stats: 333.2/317.2/ next weigh in 5/19
WOE: Induction 72
Start Date: March 30 2014
I'm so glad you got something worked out!!!
Yeah if you aren't used to fat I agree with other posters
Good luck with whatever route you take
reptogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:34 AM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dasiey
We'll for me I eat mostly meat and veggies. And I'm rarely hungry. I use to eat natural peanut butter and I was hungry all the time. Just saying. I don't use AS I drink mostly water and black coffee.
dasiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
I had my non low carbing sister peeved at me because all I had for supper Thursday night was coffee, just no hunger for anthing else at all. She told me point blank that that was NOT healthy so I asked if she would eat if she wasn't hungry just because the clock says you should be eating....that shut her up. I consider no hunger one of the huge plusses of low carb, that and I never think about food.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
We were not meant to eat 5-6 times a day like the sugar burners started telling us recently. YOU HAVE TO eat that often when you have sugar crashes, but it doesn't mean it's a natural state.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
Becky- that is funny! Good for you. I think some people are just brainwashed and do not understand what physical hunger means. I get this all the time when I tell my friends, I don't eat until 1 or 2 and I am fine. Never 3 meals... can't imagine.

I am exhausted when I try to eat every 4 hours...lol.
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote