Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
That's the ONE benefit from this low carb w.o.e., so far, that I have....and that is, I have no hunger between meals and no hunger after dinner!!! It's wonderful! This coming from a person who could use up all her Weight Watcher points by 10 a.m.
I don't know if I have EVER been in ketosis because I doubt that I have been under 20 carbs in any day since I started, but something is working to curb my "truckdriver" appetite and that makes me very happy. I am losing at a snail's pace....but I have to believe that this will work eventually since I have stopped eating SO MANY things--- (ANYTHING with sugar; pasta, bread, flour, rice, all fruits except occasionally some berries, potatoes,etc.!!) And, I am NOT going crazy with fat--meaning I use cream cheese, and heavy cream and sour cream and butter and olive oil within my meals but not to the point of ingesting fat for the sake of eating fat!
Some days I don't even feel like having lunch until 1:30 or so. Unbelievable!!!!
So whether this very low carb diet is going to work for me or not is still a question because I refuse to give up the few things that make it liveable such as the artificial sweeteners (WHICH NEVER CAUSE ME TO HAVE CRAVINGS OR MAKE ME HUNGRY)! But it sure has helped the quantity of food and the frequency of eating and that has to count for something!!!
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ljguitar
Stats: 350++/under 240/wherever 30 net carbs a day leads
WOE: 30 net carbs a day or less...unclean eating
Start Date: August 2008
Hi RD...
I notice your start date was March (just a month ago). I think if you stay with this way of eating till it's just the way you eat, you will likely adapt.

I live on low carb (it's now been years), and my wife occasionally visits. She wants to drop some pounds, so she's joining me at present (Ap 2014) for the next few months.

I'm rarely hungry at the same time as she is, and often since I'm cooking the same thing for both, when she's ready for what many call dinner (supper), I'm not even hungry. Yet I cook it for us since I want to encourage her, and I can make myself eat.

She gets up in the morning and has breakfast before I'm even awake. I often don't even have anything but coffee till noon. We are more likely to be hungry together at lunch than any other meal.

When it's just me eating low carb, I just eat when I'm hungry, and most days am not hungry till lunch. Dinner is a 7-8pm thing for me (and she).

We are both retired, so meals are not our main contact point of the day. We are around each other and chatting, and doing projects together all the time. Meals are just fuel times. We are used to not eating together all the time except when we go out or have people over.

The exception is when I fry bacon. Then we both end up at the stove together. Bacon rarely makes it beyond the paper towels where it was draining.

…The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese…
ljguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bill2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger828 View Post
some days I am perfectly fine/not hungry/ into that great feeling of NOT needing hardly any food---then whammo, I am wanting to eat 24 hrs a day. chew something. fill up the tummy with anything.
this is so me!! it usually happens when I am on off day lol, I don't feel like eating much at work though.
bill2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
ok .. I will chip in. Some people tell you to watch cal, macros, etc. but for *me* if I had to do that I'd probably fail. I am not organized which makes LC pretty much easier for me - I just count carbs pretty much. This works for me and some others. You know yourself best and whether obsessing over all those counts would lead you to give up. If it will just keep it simple.

As for the not hungry. In the beginning if you are hungry - eat. Just choose low carb foods. Also you might not be eating enough at each meal to keep you full remember this diet is different than the low cal approach. Some people start off eating tons then they often will slow way down as they get into the diet and their body says hey I'm not starving (which is what happens often on low cal diet). If you are still hungry all the time you can try to see if you are having an allergic/intolerance reaction to food. Wheat/gluten is a trigger for me no matter how low carb if I eat wheat I puff up, get hungry, etc. Typical triggers are wheat, dairy, eggs, artifical sweetners. Hard as it is you might try eliminating one at a time for a week/two just to see if it helps with your appetite. Two weeks is best to allow your body time to recover.

Also as one person said: see if you can get a doctor note for medical accommodation - by law they should be required to accommodate. Typically the best one is for Gluten free. Low carb diet may not be enough to require accommodation - not sure. Or perhaps Gluten/Low carb. Of course you may not be in a position to make waves (which is sometimes what happens crazy as it is). Just "needing" to lose weight may not be enough. Might need to say allergy, intolerance, high blood pressure, etc. - a true medical condition. Although they've classed obesity as a disease now I'm not sure that part of legalese has caught up.

These types of things you might not have considered as portable snacks. Non-perishables: Canned meats with pop top (deviled ham, beef) mix with packet mayo. tuna comes in easy peel top cup, or in foil packet. Jerky. Seeds/Nuts (limit). Perishable so not as easy: cheese stick, celery/cream cheese/peanut butter, (sweet) shot of whipped cream, lc gluten free cookies.

As for losing - the first week is almost always a big loss. Less usually the next. Some people also lose in spurts. Not much then all of a sudden 5/10 lbs. Just stick with it long enough to see a pattern. it varies.

Finally if the logistics are not working for you - then you might consider one of the other low carb type plans. One that allows more cream, etc. Or one like Protein Power that allows one balanced meal (including more carbs), and two very LC meals. For me thats hard to follow but I don't have your limitations but some people are successful with it.

Last edited by webcrystal; 04-03-2014 at 09:00 AM..
webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Reddress
Stats: Start: 221 Goal: 175 Current:202
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
You live in a group home, but even they are required to deal with special dietary needs. It's up to you to make it important enough that they do...even if it means getting a doctor to sign off on the idea that you need to eat a low carb diet.
I don't LIVE in the group home, I WORK in it, LOL!!! Yes, they are required to deal with special dietary needs for the clients, but do not have to cater to staff. I am welcome to bring my own meal, but since I do not get a meal break (the fact that they provide my meal is supposed to make up for that) I can not take the time to cook it, and am required to eat it on one of my 2 10 minute shift breaks, and I have to eat it out of sight of the clients since they are not allowed to eat at those times. So I can bring my own food, but I can not cook it, or eat it in front of the clients. so that means eating it in the bathroom during the winter months, or in the summer I can eat outside if no clients are around.

I may be able to get special permission to eat my own food at meal times if I did get a doctors note, and that is an idea. I'm not sure that my doctor would sign off on a low carb diet though. He's not a fan of it - much more in the calorie restriction plus exercise camp.
Reddress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi RD...
I notice your start date was March (just a month ago). I think if you stay with this way of eating till it's just the way you eat, you will likely adapt.

I live on low carb (it's now been years), and my wife occasionally visits. She wants to drop some pounds, so she's joining me at present (Ap 2014) for the next few months.

I'm rarely hungry at the same time as she is, and often since I'm cooking the same thing for both, when she's ready for what many call dinner (supper), I'm not even hungry. Yet I cook it for us since I want to encourage her, and I can make myself eat.

She gets up in the morning and has breakfast before I'm even awake. I often don't even have anything but coffee till noon. We are more likely to be hungry together at lunch than any other meal.

When it's just me eating low carb, I just eat when I'm hungry, and most days am not hungry till lunch. Dinner is a 7-8pm thing for me (and she).

We are both retired, so meals are not our main contact point of the day. We are around each other and chatting, and doing projects together all the time. Meals are just fuel times. We are used to not eating together all the time except when we go out or have people over.

The exception is when I fry bacon. Then we both end up at the stove together. Bacon rarely makes it beyond the paper towels where it was draining.

OMG,I love your post!! Love the living here and my wife visits analogy, it's perfect! And the bacon...oh my do I get you there...

Yes, I realize I haven't been doing this long and I know I need more patience, LOL. Just looking for the benefits to keep me going on this WOE since I haven't lost but 1 lb since my first two weeks.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
ok .. I will chip in. Some people tell you to watch cal, macros, etc. but for *me* if I had to do that I'd probably fail. I am not organized which makes LC pretty much easier for me - I just count carbs pretty much. This works for me and some others. You know yourself best and whether obsessing over all those counts would lead you to give up. If it will just keep it simple.

As for the not hungry. In the beginning if you are hungry - eat. Just choose low carb foods. Also you might not be eating enough at each meal to keep you full remember this diet is different than the low cal approach. Some people start off eating tons then they often will slow way down as they get into the diet and their body says hey I'm not starving (which is what happens often on low cal diet). If you are still hungry all the time you can try to see if you are having an allergic/intolerance reaction to food. Wheat/gluten is a trigger for me no matter how low carb if I eat wheat I puff up, get hungry, etc. Typical triggers are wheat, dairy, eggs, artifical sweetners. Hard as it is you might try eliminating one at a time for a week/two just to see if it helps with your appetite. Two weeks is best to allow your body time to recover.

Also as one person said: see if you can get a doctor note for medical accommodation - by law they should be required to accommodate. Typically the best one is for Gluten free. Low carb diet may not be enough to require accommodation - not sure. Or perhaps Gluten/Low carb. Of course you may not be in a position to make waves (which is sometimes what happens crazy as it is). Just "needing" to lose weight may not be enough. Might need to say allergy, intolerance, high blood pressure, etc. - a true medical condition. Although they've classed obesity as a disease now I'm not sure that part of legalese has caught up.

These types of things you might not have considered as portable snacks. Non-perishables: Canned meats with pop top (deviled ham, beef) mix with packet mayo. tuna comes in easy peel top cup, or in foil packet. Jerky. Seeds/Nuts (limit). Perishable so not as easy: cheese stick, celery/cream cheese/peanut butter, (sweet) shot of whipped cream, lc gluten free cookies.

As for losing - the first week is almost always a big loss. Less usually the next. Some people also lose in spurts. Not much then all of a sudden 5/10 lbs. Just stick with it long enough to see a pattern. it varies.

Finally if the logistics are not working for you - then you might consider one of the other low carb type plans. One that allows more cream, etc. Or one like Protein Power that allows one balanced meal (including more carbs), and two very LC meals. For me thats hard to follow but I don't have your limitations but some people are successful with it.

Thank you for giving me the idea of the high blood pressure angle!! I do have issues with that, and that is a way I could get my doctor on board!!

As for the triggers, the only ones in that list that I use are eggs and dairy. If I end up in a long stall I will look into those, frankly because I am loathe to give them up since they are so easy and so satisfying for me.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
I don't limit myself to anything except less than 20 net carbs daily. I eat fat with every meal. Herb butters are amazing. If I am hungry, I eat. I don't know if I have ever hit the "not hungry" stage. I have been doing this for 6 months, and have been successful. I think if I tried tracking every detail of lc, I would get frustrated and quit. If it's late at night, and I can't sleep, and I want a snack...I get one. I'm not worried about the time of day or protein vs. fat intake. I just make sure it's lc, has a little fat in it, and I eat it. Granted, this doesn't work for everyone, but I couldn't lose weight for anything, and now I am. P.s. I do eat dairy. I love cheese, but have never been too self indulgent. I eat cream.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...eightress.html

greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

If you aren't able to cook (and I can't believe they make you eat in the bathroom - I think that'd be a violation of health codes. ugh you'd think they'd at least have a break room.). Also providing food I don't think is considered "compensation". If they don't pay for that time (when you eat lunch) then they have to pay you. If they don't pay you for that time then they are to totally relieve you of your duties or they need to pay you for your time - and a $5 lunch is not being "paid". And depending on which state you live in might further dictate how your breaks are lined out in law. However, I know many places ignore the law and bully their employees. sooo...

Have you thought about just getting some lunch thermoses (they are shorter or flatter with a wide mouth for food not the drink thermos)? You can nuke some meat/cheese/stew, etc. in the morning and it should be warm through your lunch time. Also if you have the option Crock Pot has little individual pots that can be plugged in to warm up or keep warm food. It has a screw on lid so the smell doesn't really permeate until is opened. It's very portable. Although not sure they would let you plug it in from what you've said so far. I'd go with the thermos. Split lunch bag - thermos in one area cold stuff in the other. If they let you drink hot stuff then instead of coffee fill your mug with a lc soup/broth. If your BP can stand it boullion but I haven't found any too low sodium.

Last edited by webcrystal; 04-03-2014 at 10:41 AM..
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: niciK
Stats: 312/286/165
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 1/1/2014 . 100th restart
It happens to me when I eat very high fat and protein, small amounts and no veggies. Also when I am busy and active.

When I am hungry I eat and eat a lot, when not hungry I don't. You can do it. Just don't be afraid of eating and of fat. It will happen.
niciK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #41
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think there are a couple clues as to what might be going on with the OP.
Number 1 is that appetite suppressant comes from being in ketosis. While low carving may help with cravings etc. It may not actually suppress appetite. People have varying.degrees of carb tolerances and this makes.ketosis aceivable at 50g for some while others need to be almost zero.
Not being hungry in the morning.may indicate ketosis and the appetite suppression is present. Feeling hungry 2hours after a good meal seems to.suggest I sulin is getting too high...too many carbs? Too much protein? Not consistently in ketosis? Solution - weigh and measure food and time and. Consistance.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
My husband is ALWAYS hungry. And, I do mean always. He eats breakfast, around 2500 calories a day and has been on low carb about 2.5 months. He has never been blessed with the decrease in appetite scenario as I have. I eat a fraction of what he eats everyday. He began at 330 pounds and is losing well. So for now it is not an issue.

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrystal View Post
If you aren't able to cook (and I can't believe they make you eat in the bathroom - I think that'd be a violation of health codes. ugh you'd think they'd at least have a break room.). Also providing food I don't think is considered "compensation". If they don't pay for that time (when you eat lunch) then they have to pay you. If they don't pay you for that time then they are to totally relieve you of your duties or they need to pay you for your time - and a $5 lunch is not being "paid". And depending on which state you live in might further dictate how your breaks are lined out in law. However, I know many places ignore the law and bully their employees. sooo...

Have you thought about just getting some lunch thermoses (they are shorter or flatter with a wide mouth for food not the drink thermos)? You can nuke some meat/cheese/stew, etc. in the morning and it should be warm through your lunch time. Also if you have the option Crock Pot has little individual pots that can be plugged in to warm up or keep warm food. It has a screw on lid so the smell doesn't really permeate until is opened. It's very portable. Although not sure they would let you plug it in from what you've said so far. I'd go with the thermos. Split lunch bag - thermos in one area cold stuff in the other. If they let you drink hot stuff then instead of coffee fill your mug with a lc soup/broth. If your BP can stand it boullion but I haven't found any too low sodium.
The thermos is a good idea too! Thank you!!

I do get paid for my time at supper, because I am never off duty. It is written right in our contract that given the line of work and necessity of constant supervision, that we give up our right to a supper break in exchange for a paid hour and a provided meal.

The thing is they don't make me eat in the bathroom, I'm just not allowed to eat around the clients. Some homes have a staff room, and some don't. If there is a staff room? No problem. If not, there is no where to go to avoid the clients unless you go in the bathroom, or if you go outside. In the middle of winter, when it is -40 and your skin will freeze in just a few minutes, the bathroom is the only way to eat, and follow company policy.

Some homes I am allowed carry a mug around, and some I can't depending on the client issues.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I think there are a couple clues as to what might be going on with the OP.
Number 1 is that appetite suppressant comes from being in ketosis. While low carving may help with cravings etc. It may not actually suppress appetite. People have varying.degrees of carb tolerances and this makes.ketosis aceivable at 50g for some while others need to be almost zero.
Not being hungry in the morning.may indicate ketosis and the appetite suppression is present. Feeling hungry 2hours after a good meal seems to.suggest I sulin is getting too high...too many carbs? Too much protein? Not consistently in ketosis? Solution - weigh and measure food and time and. Consistance.
Great insight, thank you!! I wouldn't think too many carbs is the problem, most days I am only at 12-15 total for the day. When I first started, I was 20-25 a day and I lost 13 lbs those 2 induction weeks. Maybe I do need to eat even less though? My supper last night was 4 carbs, maybe I should aim for half that? Like if I ate only half of my meal last night, then I wouldn't be hungry? LOL, that sounds totally wrong, eating less to feel fuller, lol

I don't have a scale, but I do measure every food I eat. Too much protein could have been a problem too, so I am working on cutting that back too.

The not consistently in ketosis would make sense for sure.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:47 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
I can not take the time to cook it, and am required to eat it on one of my 2 10 minute shift breaks, and I have to eat it out of sight of the clients since they are not allowed to eat at those times. So I can bring my own food, but I can not cook it, or eat it in front of the clients. so that means eating it in the bathroom during the winter months, or in the summer I can eat outside if no clients are around.
Sounds like your employer is in violation of labor laws. They are required to provide a place for you to take your breaks away from 'clients/customers'. If the labor board knew you were eating in the bathroom. whooboy.

It varies by state, but I'll bet they're in violation. I get the no cooking, but how about chicken salad or tuna salad or other cold, already prepared foods? I believe federal labor laws require a 'lunch' period of 30 minutes if you work over 6 hours per day. If you're working less, perhaps eat right before you go in and schedule another meal when you come home with something snackworthy for your 10 minute breaks?
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sounds like your employer is in violation of labor laws. They are required to provide a place for you to take your breaks away from 'clients/customers'. If the labor board knew you were eating in the bathroom. whooboy.

It varies by state, but I'll bet they're in violation. I get the no cooking, but how about chicken salad or tuna salad or other cold, already prepared foods? I believe federal labor laws require a 'lunch' period of 30 minutes if you work over 6 hours per day. If you're working less, perhaps eat right before you go in and schedule another meal when you come home with something snackworthy for your 10 minute breaks?
I guarantee they are not in violation of any labour laws. One, I am in canada so the laws may be different. Two, I know they have a special exception to the "lunch" period because I had to sign papers indicating I understood that with this job it COULD NOT apply because the clients require full supervision at all times. I believe the "break room" would also fall into this. Besides, when you work in an actual home, where are they supposed to put a break room?

Most days I work a 6 hour evening shift, 4pm to 10pm so they are not required to give me any meal break at all. On weekends I work 12 hour shifts and that is when I had to sign away my right to an hour break.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Even in the US they would not be in violation of Federal Laws. The only law that might have applied would be if they didn't pay you for 1/2 hour lunch time that they made you work through - other than that there is no Fed law that requires they give you a break (I was surprise but there it is). State laws vary from state to state (if they have any at all).

Requiring supervision at all times would not release them from the law (if you are in a state that has a law). If there is a state law then it is up to the company to provide a relief for that person's break (with few exceptions). However being in Canada none of this applies so it's a moot point.

So I'm guessing they don't let you eat in the kitchen either since most houses have kitchens. Odd but there ya go. Hopefully you'll find some type of logistics that will help you succeed.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/244/195
WOE: Keto
I find that I still get hungry. SOmetimes I even get really hungry. I think it varies. However, I don't feel out of control cravings...more like my body saying "time to fuel up!". I still get kind of snacky at night before bed too...but when I remember how I used to not be able to sleep without a giant snack right before bed, I realize that it is dramatically better than it was.
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TowerOrchard
Stats: 222/182/155
WOE: Primal/Paleo
Start Date: January 7, 2014
Just to clarify - how are you defining "no hunger"? Since I've gone low carb, I don't feel the need to snack and I have had very little cravings. But when my meal times roll around, I'm ready to eat!!

I wouldn't say my appetite has gone away, it's just normalized.
TowerOrchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerOrchard View Post
Just to clarify - how are you defining "no hunger"? Since I've gone low carb, I don't feel the need to snack and I have had very little cravings. But when my meal times roll around, I'm ready to eat!!

I wouldn't say my appetite has gone away, it's just normalized.
How about the opposite of what you described? Lol! Cravings and feel the need to snack , especially in the evenings. Mornings are never an issue.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddress View Post
One, I am in canada so the laws may be different.

Most days I work a 6 hour evening shift, 4pm to 10pm so they are not required to give me any meal break at all. On weekends I work 12 hour shifts and that is when I had to sign away my right to an hour break.
Ah...ok. In the U.S. which laws you fall under come down to how many employees you have. For example, a business with under 10 employees would not be subject to the same laws one with over 10.

Wow...a 12 hour shift with only two 10 minute breaks, no lunch break *and* no place to go to eat a decent meal that meets your dietary requirements? One day they're going to find themselves on the end of a lawsuit when one of their employees collapses and ends up in the ER.

However, given the situation, I would find a doc who will work with you and give you the necessary medical 'excuse' to eat a low carb diet. It's wrong in so many ways that you have to resort to eating in a bathroom.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ah...ok. In the U.S. which laws you fall under come down to how many employees you have. For example, a business with under 10 employees would not be subject to the same laws one with over 10.

Wow...a 12 hour shift with only two 10 minute breaks, no lunch break *and* no place to go to eat a decent meal that meets your dietary requirements? One day they're going to find themselves on the end of a lawsuit when one of their employees collapses and ends up in the ER.

However, given the situation, I would find a doc who will work with you and give you the necessary medical 'excuse' to eat a low carb diet. It's wrong in so many ways that you have to resort to eating in a bathroom.
See, on the 12 hour shifts I do get the chance to eat two meals. It just has to be the meals on *their* pre-made plan. So I get the chance to sit and eat at lunch and supper while I serve and supervise the clients' meal, but I am not allowed to eat a different meal in front of the clients because of the issues it would cause. I do get that, and I know that if I ate my meal in front of them it would cause ME tons of headaches with the resulting behaviours. On a twelve hour shift, I get 4 10 minute breaks as well. But yes, it is hard because in some homes I have no where to go to get away from the clients unless I sit outside, and then hopefully no clients join me or I would have to put away my food. (we are also not allowed to leave the premises during breaks, so no walks around the block or anything either)

So even if I can get a doctor's note, it doesn't change much. They will not change their meal plans for me, lol. It may allow me to use the microwave to heat a meal or something though, and would excuse me from getting in trouble *if* a client happened to see me eating. I'm going to see what I can do about getting that.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Silverlynx35
Stats: 285/260/185
WOE: Low Carb/No Sugar
Start Date: February 2014
Often what I think is hunger is really my mind saying, "Why aren't we eating? We're always eating. Why have you stopped?"
I think we get so ingrained with being hungry and eating, that we are almost conditioned to want to eat all the time.
If I stop and think, "Am I really hungry or do I just think I should be eating?" I can see the difference.
Silverlynx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlynx35 View Post
Often what I think is hunger is really my mind saying, "Why aren't we eating? We're always eating. Why have you stopped?"
I think we get so ingrained with being hungry and eating, that we are almost conditioned to want to eat all the time.
If I stop and think, "Am I really hungry or do I just think I should be eating?" I can see the difference.
I get this, I really do!!! I've done the same thing, but honestly I don't know if I know what hunger feels like unless it's the completely empty stomach gnawing rumbling hunger.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I believe we are all so different here...I know for sure I don't get hungry now while staying on my LC eating...I eat B, L...most of the time, S...always, no snacks at all, and I don't eat after 5:30 PM....for me this has worked...for others maybe not....I have learned that I may not be hungry but I still know that I would love to eat those FF I love or that fried item with gravy over it in my mind...Give me a piece of pie in my mind...yes...but only in my mind...If I want a free meal....I don't call it a cheat for myself...then I know I have to jump right back on track .....and I mean the next meal...I do not do induction or fast ...Just no flour and sugar works for me...grilled and not fried is good now...I am learning..I don't like drinking water a lot so I drink Walmarts flavored water...I used sweet and low in my Ice tea and will not stop...So everyone is different ....what works for you might not work for me...I just research what I can and have positive thoughts with Gods Help....I can do this....

Summer is my next goal
244 242 240 238 236 234 232 230 228 226 224 222 220 218 216 214 212 :heart 208 206 204 202 200 onederland
Mary Frances Goal...to find that Onederland and never to return...

Last edited by ladyinlove56; 04-04-2014 at 07:47 PM..
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 85Cardinals
Thankfully I'm one of the lucky ones who rarely feels "hunger" these days. Such a blessing. Makes me feel powerful in all areas of my life.
85Cardinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck to you and I hope you find a solution that will work for you (besides eating in the bathroom).
Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BBare
Stats: (210/ 139 /125) 5'9.5
WOE: LOW FAT/ LC for wt loss, Atkins~Mnt VERY LOW CARBS
Reddress, you are NOT EATING ENOUGH! When we get hungry we need to eat, PERIOD! I think we make LC more difficult than it should be... EAT WHEN YOU ARE TRULY PHYSIOLOGICALLY HUNGRY! Make sure you are not just Thirsty. Drink you water and allow your body to do what your body wants to do. We are miraculously made and I fear all these "TWEEKINGS, and other MIND TRIPPINGS" get us all out of sorts.

EAT IF YOU ARE HUNGRY. This is a signal that you must feed your body do not ignore this signal. Eventually, your blood sugars and your hormones will adjust.

Hope this helps. Keep it simple, watch carbs only and eat a protein, fat and a few low carbs and allow your life and body to be a peace. You will not force anything to happen unless it's going to happen.

Sometimes we need more calories right before we get a flush. Just the way it is.

Blessing to you! Take it one bite at a time and don't fret, it only causes harm. This WOE works if you work it, day by day, bite by bite!

Hugs,
Beth
BBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:10 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/244/195
WOE: Keto
I saw a video of a presentation by Nora Gedguadas (A Paleo person) and she gave the audience a test for sugar sensitivity and (to paraphrase) asked people if they felt tired, irritable, foggy, shaky, anxious, etc. before eating and if they felt tired and nappy or full of a burst of energy after eating. Then she said "Do you know how you are supposed to feel before eating? HUngry. After eating? Not hungry"...I think that is the point. I get hungry but not sick and shaky and full of cravings. I might feel a bit energized after a meal or a bit lazy, but not like I did on sugar!
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #60
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willgirl View Post
I saw a video of a presentation by Nora Gedguadas (A Paleo person) and she gave the audience a test for sugar sensitivity and (to paraphrase) asked people if they felt tired, irritable, foggy, shaky, anxious, etc. before eating and if they felt tired and nappy or full of a burst of energy after eating. Then she said "Do you know how you are supposed to feel before eating? HUngry. After eating? Not hungry"...I think that is the point. I get hungry but not sick and shaky and full of cravings. I might feel a bit energized after a meal or a bit lazy, but not like I did on sugar!
Excellent point! As a glucose burner, I would become ravenous and all that went with that. As a fat burner, I get hungry but it is completely manageable. Signals arise and then recede. They come back a while later and this can go on for hours. Many times, it is not noticed because of other things going on.

Hunger is good now. It is the very best appetizer there is!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote