Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
S/O - Zevia

Well hell! I love the Ginger Root Beer but I just looked now at the nutritional value and there are FOUR cabs per can.

Crazy. On the front of the can it sates Zero Calorie Soda so I assumed that meant no carbs. Plus who knew the sweetener was Erythritol? Again I assumed it was sweetened with Stevia.

Not cool. Usually I'm the queen of reading labels but when something has zero calories you don't expect it to have carbs.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
For what it's worth, here is a reply from one of the founders on another forum on same topic.

I am one of the founders of Zevia. We created Zevia because before it there was never a sugar-free, zero carb, natural soda.

I have good news. There are ZERO net carbs in Zevia.

The carbohydrates in Zevia come from erythritol, which is extracted naturally from vegetables. The human body does not digest erythritol, but rather excretes it unchanged. The carbs never convert to energy, have no calories, and have no impact on glycemic index, blood sugar, or insulin levels.

The Belly Fat Cure recommends 6 servings of carbs per day. If you count Zevia as a serving, then you are depriving yourself of real carbs, and not getting the type of energy and nutrition that carbs provide.

That’s why we say Zevia has zero “net ” carbs.

For these reasons, we believe the proper S/C ratio should be 0/0.

So why do we show carbs on the can when there aren’t really carbs? The FDA requires us to label them, even though the carbs are passed through the body without taking effect. It’s odd I know.

To learn more, please visit http://www.AboutErythritol.com.

If you have questions, please contact me. My email address is dnewman@zevia.com

Thank you. Chill & Enjoy!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Stevia is sweetened with both erythritol and stevia. Sugar alcohols are typically subtracted from the total carb count because they aren't digested. So it's fair to say that your ginger root beer is 0 net carbs. That's how I count it!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/242/195
WOE: Keto
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
For what it's worth, here is a reply from one of the founders on another forum on same topic.

I am one of the founders of Zevia. We created Zevia because before it there was never a sugar-free, zero carb, natural soda.

I have good news. There are ZERO net carbs in Zevia.

The carbohydrates in Zevia come from erythritol, which is extracted naturally from vegetables. The human body does not digest erythritol, but rather excretes it unchanged. The carbs never convert to energy, have no calories, and have no impact on glycemic index, blood sugar, or insulin levels.

The Belly Fat Cure recommends 6 servings of carbs per day. If you count Zevia as a serving, then you are depriving yourself of real carbs, and not getting the type of energy and nutrition that carbs provide.

That’s why we say Zevia has zero “net ” carbs.

For these reasons, we believe the proper S/C ratio should be 0/0.

So why do we show carbs on the can when there aren’t really carbs? The FDA requires us to label them, even though the carbs are passed through the body without taking effect. It’s odd I know.

To learn more, please visit http://www.AboutErythritol.com.

If you have questions, please contact me. My email address is dnewman@zevia.com

Thank you. Chill & Enjoy!
Hehehehe sbarr I didn't see the top line that you were pasting from a forum and I was like "Wow! She is one of the founders of Zevia?! That is sure useful for this thread!"
Willgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/161/130
WOE: lchf/paleo/primal/keto
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
The question is did you like it? I screamed like a kid in a candy store when I saw this at the grocery next door to work! I saved it in my work fridge for 3 days, saving it as a special treat for some small accomplishment (like finishing a task ahead of schedule)...

I cracked it open smelled it, it smelled delicious! Took my first sip, ehh not so bad (not great either), second sip bleghhhh it's more chemically tasting then regular diet soda, tastes life it would make excellent wooden floor cleaner (I love rootbeer, and I love ginger even raw)
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

I personally like Zevia, but it could take a few cans to get used to.

Which one did you try? The fact that the taste was so "off" - did you check the expiry date? I don't like the ginger ale, but I do like the root beer, cola, grape soda, cherry soda.

Another good sugar free soda is Honest Fizz. I juggle between Zevia and Honest Fizz depending on what is on sale at my local food co-op. If nothing is on sale that month, we go without for the month. Fortunately, we only drink a few cans a week.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
WOE: A 72 Induction (Hard Core!)
I love the taste of it. I think though it's in my best interest to stick to water.
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I love the taste of it. I think though it's in my best interest to stick to water.
That's funny you say that Emerald. I gave up 'diet' coke a few years ago. Then I tried this stuff. I couldn't stop drinking it! So I agree, I'm better off with just water!

In fact I have an unopened six pack in the laundry room. I guess I should toss it. I'm sure it's past the expiration date!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I had one when I wanted a cold drink on an outing in San Francisco. It was OK, kind of chemical tasting. Better than bottled water for a special treat, but I don't need to stock it in my fridge.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I like Zevia but I only drink them every once in a while, like no more than 1-2 a month. My favorite is the cream soda and the CF cole, for some reason the caffeine free cola tastes better to me than the regular. I like Dr. Zevia to cook with, works great in a Barbacoa Pulled pork recipe I make.

Another favorite of mine is the Virgil's Zero drinks, the cream soda and cola are again my favorites and I like that they are in glass bottles.

I also like the Honest Fizz drinks. The lemon-lime is good but also the root beer.

Last edited by PaminKY; 04-02-2014 at 10:34 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote