Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Where have you been all my life?! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826684-where-have-you-been-all-my-life.html)

Arctic_Mama 03-27-2014 01:04 PM

Where have you been all my life?!

Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding, that is! So delicious, it hits the lot very nicely and doesn't mess with my ratios for the day, either. Yummy!

I got the recipe off a site called iFoodreal, but there's iterations and different flavors of pudding all over the place. Is a great low carb breakfast or dessert option. :yummy:

Blue Skies 03-27-2014 01:29 PM

What a great site!! The pudding looks yummy, as did other recipes there. What I really appreciated about them is the simplicity and reasonable list of ingredients. Too many LC recipes, Dana Carpenter's recipes for me for instance, are too ingredient intense and costly. Not simple. This site seemed the opposite. Thanks for the tip, Arctic Mama.

Another great recourse for these kind of easy clean meals is the Nom Nom Paleo Cook book. Not Paleo myself per say, but there's lots of good LC ideas here, delightful format, easy and available ingredients. Highly recommend.

moonmirror 03-27-2014 02:00 PM

The recipe looks *awesome* but the carbs seem high. It has to be because of chia seed, which is kind of high but also loaded with fiber.

Still net carbs around 11g or so which seems high for people on lower carbs?

Sounds wonderful though!

Sleepy 03-27-2014 02:03 PM

looks fantastic
good thing im going to costco :up:

Blue Skies 03-27-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonmirror (Post 16853019)
The recipe looks *awesome* but the carbs seem high. It has to be because of chia seed, which is kind of high but also loaded with fiber.

Still net carbs around 11g or so which seems high for people on lower carbs?

Sounds wonderful though!

I always look at it like this. I allow myself an average of 30 NCs a day. If I wanted this pudding treat I would simply include it in my day's allowance and give up something else. Variety and satisfaction are paramount for me to stay happy on this woe, and as long as I stick to my goals, and do the math, it all works.

For folks on NK or induction, yeah, this would feel a lot higher in carbs than it does for me.

sbarr 03-27-2014 02:15 PM

Always good to find something new - this will be an easy one at home with a 5 yo who loves chocolate

For NK - maybe a half serving

mimivac 03-27-2014 02:17 PM

Looks great. Wonder if you could do something like this with flax seeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Skies (Post 16852989)
Too many LC recipes, Dana Carpenter's recipes for me for instance, are too ingredient intense and costly.

I have one of her cookbooks and don't use too many of the recipes except for her homemade bread, which is excellent. It is a lot of ingredients, but once you invest in them, most will last a long time and you can keep making the bread over and over on your supply.

Quote:

Another great recourse for these kind of easy clean meals is the Nom Nom Paleo Cook book.

Sounds good, but I can't stomach the name. LOL. Everytime someone says "nom nom" it's like nails on a chalkboard. :)

Arctic_Mama 03-27-2014 02:52 PM

The carbs are high because she uses honey. I (obviously) subbed in an alternative artificial sweetener (stevia glycerite, in this case). That brought my net carbs to 3 grams (20 total, 17 grams fiber).

Arctic_Mama 03-27-2014 02:54 PM

A paleo cookbook I adore is Melissa Joulwan's 'Well Fed'. Very simple and heavy on bulk cooking and simple variations on seasoning to keep things interesting, while not having you buy excess amounts of specialty ingredients. She is also much lower in starch than a lot of other paleo cookbooks, which works much better for me as a low carber.

MargD 03-27-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimivac (Post 16853046)
Sounds good, but I can't stomach the name. LOL. Everytime someone says "nom nom" it's like nails on a chalkboard. :)

Me too!

webcrystal 03-27-2014 06:33 PM

haha .. I kinda liked the Nom Nom part... reminds me of a friend .. she nom noms her way through her food. :hyst:

Sirtain 03-27-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

... Dana Carpenter's recipes for me for instance, are too ingredient intense and costly. ...

I am making her all-meat chili recipe this evening. One of our favorites.