LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Davian
Stats: 245 / 142 now - rather 135
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 02/24/04
Just not feeling it today...

For 1 1/2 years now, I cannot get off 142 to 145.

Same circuit, "Insert lc diet style here" - over a few days I drop .2 lbs per loss goes to 142 over a few weeks then (without changing a thing) I start climbing same .2/lb until I'm back to 145. To say it's maddening is the biggest understatement ever. I've been here 10 years - so I know the whole routine - no diet soda, no artificial sweeteners, drink water, go to the gym, limit dairy, limit or eliminate nuts, no eating after 6 PM. I already do all of that and I eat 3x a day and it's actually food and I portion my food and don't do seconds etc.

I feel ridiculous complaining - On one side, I'm 145 and I've stayed PINNED to it for 1 1/2 years

however prior to that I was 132 to 135 (that's where I'm most comfortable) and the doc put me on a med that made me gain 10 lbs in 2 months - I dropped the med and never went back. Everyone told me it would go away.....well it hasn't and so far absolutely nothing I've done works and in 10 years of LC I know how to do this I've never NOT done this - I've never gone up or fluctuated. Once I lose, I'm pretty much stuck there which is great except now I'm stuck where I do not want to be. I've changed it up at the gym repeatedly (I can climb a million stairs now.....) and I weight lift And no my body comp isn't different and no I didn't lose any inches. I swear I'm impervious to change! I'm so frustrated and my husband is so frustrated b/c he's going through exactly what I am. I could technically weigh 128 so it's not like I'm really close to the bottom either. I just went food shopping again and now I sit here not knowing what I should eat.....I don't know what direction to go. Maintenance has been a challenge but one I've constantly worked hard at for all of us (family) I'm scared that I can't figure out the 'magic' of losing weight especially when a vacation or break looms....

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Wow, I hear you. I've been 5-10 pounds above my elusive goal for over a year and a half, too. You obviously know what you're doing. I wonder if you shouldn't try a fat fast or IF to see if you can break the barrier of 142? It might be worth a try. Good luck, and CONGRATS on your incredible loss and maintenance so far. That is certainly nothing to sneeze at.
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I can not believe you wrote me - I've been haunting this forum for 2 months and every time I see your stats I want to Pvt msg you to ask what you are doing. Thanks for the encouragement - I've even tried setting your mini-goals but I lose for a few days and just go right back - it's so weird. I know I feel bad just posting this gripe b/c so many ppl here have just started I don't want to any way discourage anyone. That's absolutely not my intent - I just can seem to budge and it's insane.
Davian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/229/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian View Post
I can not believe you wrote me - I've been haunting this forum for 2 months and every time I see your stats I want to Pvt msg you to ask what you are doing. Thanks for the encouragement - I've even tried setting your mini-goals but I lose for a few days and just go right back - it's so weird. I know I feel bad just posting this gripe b/c so many ppl here have just started I don't want to any way discourage anyone. That's absolutely not my intent - I just can seem to budge and it's insane.
Don't feel bad, we are ALL in this together, supporting each other, regardless of needed to lose 2 pounds or 200. You know you're doing the right things, and it's frustrating when you don't see the results... we can all relate to that ! I'm fairly new here, and did not see your post as discouraging at all ... if anything, while I don't have any advice, it made me want to reach out and say I understand how you feel and hope the frustration lifts soon
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Joanne - thank you for that. Please, seriously, understand that you can do this with this WOE - both me and my DH lost over 100 lbs. I even had a baby in there too and went right back down. Stick with this, lose the weight, despite my complaining, - it will change your life and a year from now you won't be able to image how you were ever not at goal. It is my hope and prayer that you get there b/c it's an amazing journey.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Well I certainly can't see how you could be discouraging anyone by losing 100 pounds and maintaining it! If anything that is a huge inspiration.
mimivac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ValentineC
Stats: 5'5" 215/207.8/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2014
Davian, how tall are you? Are you within the normal weight range for your height or do you just want to weigh 142? I am 5' 5" and set my intial goal at 160...hopefully when I get there I will continue to lose and weigh between 145-150.

Not to say we have the same goal. Have you tried walking fast or jogging or a personal trainer instead of the same gym routine?

It just might be the medication that caused you to gain 10 lbs, is making it harder to lose weight.

Good Luck!!!
ValentineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I'm 5'6 - when I'm smoothed out all over I weigh 132 which I maintained for about 2 years until the 2 months of meds. I stopped it after 7 weeks and the doc insisted I didn't gain 10 lbs of fat during that time and it must be water and while I believe that's true - it doesn't change the fact that March 24 of that year I was 132 and by April's end I was 137 and by 3rd week in May I was 142 - and that was 1 1/2 years ago. So whatever I gained, it has not gone away.

Workout wise: I do 100 flights of stairs on the stair machine 2 to 4 days a week.
M W F: I do 1 hr weights arms/shoulders; legs; chest and back - I change up what I do every 6 weeks so it doesn't become too routine.

I did have a personal trainer and the only thing that got lighter was my wallet - oh an gained a hernia from weighted sit ups LOL....

Walking - you've got me on this one - one habit we were in was walking an hour a day every day at lunch time - we'd meet at the mall and walk the whole thing. My son is still in Pre-k but too big for a stroller and he absolutely is not into it so that did stop. It didn't help with losing but it did help keep me at the lower weight level for a long time once I got there.

So far today I had 2 cups of coffee and no food b/c I can't figure out what dang nutrient profile I'm supposed to be going for. Good grief......
Old 03-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
First Davian, Congrats on losing 100lbs!! Wow! Don't forget, you did that!! I'm going to tell you the same thing I told one of my daughters. Cut back on the exercise, at least for a while. Not cut it out, cut back. Exercise can be a cause of stress too, which elevates cortisol which can prevent you from losing weight. So, relax, if you like them go for a massage.

Two things, maybe you aren't eating enough? There is a thread on the Nutritional Ketosis Board called Just The Facts. In it gives you a formula for figuring your macros. Maybe that'd be a place to start. Another thing you could try is meat only for a few days. I was just in a thread here in the main lobby about that. They eat fatty meats, fat bombs, (some of them) etc. I'll go find it and let you know. Haha!! The thread is called Just Meat!

I can relate to the frustration, I hope you find the answers!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne

Last edited by snowangel9; 03-27-2014 at 12:03 PM..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Snowangel - thanks a lot.

You touched on something important - I actually never exercised ever when I lost the 100 lbs. (bad knees etc.) - I didn't start exercising until I got to about 160 lbs. My body is probably stressed I know my mind is.... - in an effort to lose you tend to keep cutting things away until there's nothing left. I'd give anything if my body would tell me what it wants me to be doing. Guessing has gotten me nowhere......

I will indeed look into the Just Meat thread - I think that probably works because as much as we hate to admit it - it's very easy to eat things your body just doesn't like.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
What's your daily menu like? Calories/carbs? Do you track your food? My friend was on a steroid medication recently and her doctor warned her that it would increase her appetite and she says that she still has the increased appetite even after finishing the meds. Could you be eating more as a lingering side effect from the med?

I'm also 5'6 and it was a calories game for me to get to goal.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby1
Stats: 220/192/170 5'9" 47yo
WOE: Gentle Low Carb
Start Date: 6/22/2012
I agree with all of the advice given above. Just wanted to throw one more idea into the mix- have you tried intermittent fasting? Might shake up some your hormonal milieu a bit and help you get over this hump.

Another completely different thought- maybe you are doing too much exercise and having an excess cortisol issue?

Good luck!
Gabby
Gabby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

B - low carb protein shake
L - chicken salad w/ celery
D - 1 chicken thigh, roasted cabbage, and baby Kale salad w/ 2 tbsp lc dressing

no snacks or eating after 6
Old 03-27-2014, 01:58 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

The meds were well over a year ago so I'm really thinking that's got to be more than enough time.... I mean I'd think by now anyway. I'm not a big eater in general. If I'm not LCing, my food looks like this: B - Low cal cereal n skim milk L - lite yogurt w/ 1/4 cup Muesli, and Dinner pretty much same as now - salad, veggie and a meat (4 oz) then 8 PM I weigh out some low calorie ice cream. I've done this group for years and years and years with intermittent bouts of real low carb eating. Overall, I maintain fine with it. I have good willpower - I even managed to go Vegan during a 90 day Daniel Fast - didn't lose then either but I proved to myself I could still with something. Really all was good until those meds and since then I've maintained that weight point but just won't go down below it.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
B - low carb protein shake
L - chicken salad w/ celery
D - 1 chicken thigh, roasted cabbage, and baby Kale salad w/ 2 tbsp lc dressing

no snacks or eating after 6
Wow, woman, you have some discipline! But, that is not near enough food, with all the exercise you do. No way. I mentioned in another thread about my middle daughter. She exercises like crazy, in my opinion, the nut has a cross fit gym in her garage! Sheesh. Anyway, I have been after her for a long time that she has to eat more if she wants to work out like she does. Never listened. Surprise, hu?!

Anyway, I did the macros for all three daughters, figuring I was wasting my time with hers. She's 5'2" and weighs about 135. Well hers came out to over 1900 calories. We added fat bombs to up the good fat and get the calories up there. So, she's actually did it! Planned a little different menu, but was trying to eat more etc. After some moaning about how she had only lost a little, she tells me last week, after about a week and a half of doing this, she's lost 3lbs!!!

The brat! This is awesome, since she only wanted to lose 12lbs. Plus her workouts were better, recovery was better, sleep was better and she's starting to see the 'six pack' she's always wanted. All that to say, you aren't eating enough!

I really hope you figure this out
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Hi

I can relate even though I want to lose about 5lbs. I think snow is onto something. When I was in Vegas, I hardly exercised and lost 4 lbs. Then, I come back home, start working out and eating more and boom!! gained 3 lbs. Stupid in my opinion, but something to be said about cortisol. Dont give up... how about relaxing??? I struggle with this as well, but I am learning Again this is a process and you must know that you are AMAZING for losing 100lbs, seriously??? That is awesome.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:48 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Another thing to keep in mind...excess skin (possibly?). I started at 330 and at 140, I'm probably carrying 15-20 pounds of excess skin (according to the doc's office after doing bone density, body fat, etc. tests).
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aomiel View Post
Another thing to keep in mind...excess skin (possibly?). I started at 330 and at 140, I'm probably carrying 15-20 pounds of excess skin (according to the doc's office after doing bone density, body fat, etc. tests).
I would love to have my whole body tightened up - it would make going to the gym a whole lot more rewarding. I'm kind of like a salmon going up the waterfall when it comes to that...... Anyone hit the lotto? LOL -- I have pretty much looses all over - I can imagine going from 330 to 140 would be unbelievable - will insurance pay for this - they REALLY should - that's just crazy amazing.

It is very true regarding the gym...... I have a very hard time doing the gym AND losing weight. I think I'm in such a panic b/c winter is finally looking like it going to end and warmed temps are coming. So hiding in a sweatshirt won't be an option soon....

Thanks for all the well wishes - it's really helpful to know you aren't alone. True though seems so crazy to not know how to lose weight after having lost so much and that I've never ever yo-yo'ed (Thank God)
Old 03-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
So weird. You're starting weight and mine are about the same and we are now both stuck at the same weight. I started low carb in June 2010 and lost quickly until I reached 140 in December 2011 and it was like I hit a wall. I went up to 145 and stayed there for months. For a while, I had actually started gaining into the 150-160 range until I cut out almond flour in August. I then started losing again, but I can never get below 140. I usually float around 142-145.

It is frustrating, but I am just happy with how far I have come. I went from a size 20 pant to a size 8. I went from a size 24-26 top to a size large. Plus I feel amazing.

We may not have traveled as far as we want to go, but we sure have traveled far from where we started. Just think about the progress you have made.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Ok I couldn't manage to 'fast' per se but since Monday....
B - black coffee
L - glass of Hood chocolate milk
D - dark greens salad, Newman's oil n vinegar, 5 roasted mini peppers and 4 oz chicken breast
Snack- tea and lots of water
Continued with lifting 3 days and added in 3 mile walks when I can

So far after 4 days - I lost 1/2 a lb.... Why can you gain 5 lbs in a weekend but you can't lose it - ever......
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Ok I couldn't manage to 'fast' per se but since Monday....
B - black coffee
L - glass of Hood chocolate milk
D - dark greens salad, Newman's oil n vinegar, 5 roasted mini peppers and 4 oz chicken breast
Snack- tea and lots of water
Continued with lifting 3 days and added in 3 mile walks when I can

So far after 4 days - I lost 1/2 a lb.... Why can you gain 5 lbs in a weekend but you can't lose it - ever......
I think they mean fat fast, don't they.....the above does not sound like enough food......
Sunny7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Locarbarella
Stats: 188/125/125 5'5"
WOE: Low Carb maintenance since 2007
Start Date: Atkins 2006
Quote:
For 1 1/2 years now, I cannot get off 142 to 145.

Same circuit, "Insert lc diet style here" - over a few days I drop .2 lbs per loss goes to 142 over a few weeks then (without changing a thing) I start climbing same .2/lb until I'm back to 145. To say it's maddening is the biggest understatement ever. I've been here 10 years - so I know the whole routine - no diet soda, no artificial sweeteners, drink water, go to the gym, limit dairy, limit or eliminate nuts, no eating after 6 PM. I already do all of that and I eat 3x a day and it's actually food and I portion my food and don't do seconds etc.

I feel ridiculous complaining - On one side, I'm 145 and I've stayed PINNED to it for 1 1/2 years

however prior to that I was 132 to 135 (that's where I'm most comfortable) and the doc put me on a med that made me gain 10 lbs in 2 months - I dropped the med and never went back. Everyone told me it would go away.....well it hasn't and so far absolutely nothing I've done works and in 10 years of LC I know how to do this I've never NOT done this - I've never gone up or fluctuated. Once I lose, I'm pretty much stuck there which is great except now I'm stuck where I do not want to be. I've changed it up at the gym repeatedly (I can climb a million stairs now.....) and I weight lift And no my body comp isn't different and no I didn't lose any inches. I swear I'm impervious to change! I'm so frustrated and my husband is so frustrated b/c he's going through exactly what I am. I could technically weigh 128 so it's not like I'm really close to the bottom either. I just went food shopping again and now I sit here not knowing what I should eat.....I don't know what direction to go. Maintenance has been a challenge but one I've constantly worked hard at for all of us (family) I'm scared that I can't figure out the 'magic' of losing weight especially when a vacation or break looms....
I was stuck for about a year at 8-10 pounds higher than my ideal weight and couldn't figure out how to get it to budge. I recently got it off with JUDDD over the course of three months. I'm now back to eating the way I always have in maintenance and it seems to be stabilizing at the lower weight.

You can check out the thread on this forum. The people there are extremely helpful and there are a lot of them who've lost a substantial amount of weight on various diets and are now using that method to lose more or maintain.

Locarbarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I will do some JUDDD reading - I need to fix this before I lose my head......

It's so disturbing when you get the point where you don't know what to eat or even IF you should eat and you start messing with everything.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
I can imagine going from 330 to 140 would be unbelievable - will insurance pay for this - they REALLY should - that's just crazy amazing.
Actually, I'm quite amazed at how much my skin has tightened up given my age, how long I was overweight and how much I lost, but I'm fortunately to have *really* good genetics.

Yes, actually because I have a diagnosed history of diabetes and MRSA (the diabetes alone would have done it), they will pay for the tummy and the breast lift/reduction because of the higher risk of bacterial infections under the loose skin. They won't pay for the arms, legs, butt or anything else.

At this stage, I'm just not sure I want to go the whole surgical route...but everytime I think of my family longevity, the idea of going another 30+ years with all this excess skin makes me a bit more accepting of the idea.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Take advantage of the body parts they are willing to fix - you are fortunate that your skin tightened up so much. I have a friend who is like that - she goes from size 20 to 6 and everything just shrinks with her - I'm not that genetically gifted but not as bad as some either - somewhere in the middle.