Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SiaMia
Water Fasting

So.... I have been on a water fast since Sunday. The first two days were brutal...I was starving and crabby. Yesterday was really good, I felt great with tons of energy and a really positive outlook. Today...I woke up a little cranky. I was only "hungry" the first day. Right now, I have hunger, but it's more in my head wanting to eat than my stomach actually being hungry.

Has anyone ever been on a water fast before (consuming nothing but water)? If you have, how did you ease yourself back on to your Low Carb diet? Experiences?

p.s. I have lost 11 pounds since Sunday. I know some of it is water weight, but I feel MUCH lighter.
SiaMia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I've done a water fast up to 6 days. I felt great - usually down about 8# of which most of it came back after the fast, as it should.

I eased back in, upping food over about a 2 day period, by the third day was eating regularly.

For some suggestions to ease back, you can refer to some fasting sites and forums where they discuss easing back into regular eating. Main thing I recall, was to start slowly, usually with fruit and veggies, meat last. Obviously, from low carb perspective, you might not be eating a lot of fruit, but you could use day 1 for less fibrous/lower volume veggies, good oils and then meat and cheese on the second or third day.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:15 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I am doing a 4-day fast right now(with this being my last day). I have done multiple 3-day ones before, and one 8-9-day one.

I really enjoy them for the most part. I feel as if I am doing something good for my body. (I mostly do them for autophagy, but am happy to accept any weight loss that comes along for the ride.)

It runs counter to most of the advice I have read about breaking a fast(fruit and vegetable juices first, ease in) but I usually break my fast with a nice big meal of sashimi. One, it is one of my favorite meals, and is something nice to think about when I am having a hard moment during the fast. Two, it is very low-carb. Three, it is not a mix of things. I do think it is important that whatever you choose to eat first, you not eat too many different things at once. Four, I tell myself that fish is a 'light' protein, easy to digest. Not sure if there is any evidence to back it up, but that's what I tell myself.

It has always worked fine for me.

However, the standard advice I hear/read is to have a small amount of juice or vegetable broth, let it settle for a couple of hours, then have some more. Segue into raw fruits and vegetables. Then ease into meats. All over the course of a couple of days. (I left out the grain step, as I assume you are doing low-carb. I don't suppose I need to add that I think the grain step is wrong, wrong, wrong?)

Hope it all goes well for you. Most important: listen to your body, with the caveat of stopping at a pre-determined time. There is such a thing as fasting euphoria, where you think you are fine, when you are NOT. (Not to worry, this usually only happens after LONG fasts, say 2-3 weeks and/or if the person is already very lean, which I think most people who are fasting for a 're-set' aren't. Judge yourself. Be sensible.)

Last edited by Sirtain; 03-27-2014 at 05:18 AM..
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Wait....what?

Cannot believe what I am reading in these posts
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
mulberry - fasting is not dieting. Objective of fasting is not to lose weight. There is a lot of literature about fasting - can be done for spiritual reasons, cleansing, body healing, resets, so many different reasons - and many different ways of doing it.

You're not losing your mind when reading this thread!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote