Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
Yet another water question

OK....here's what I would like to know. Have any of you seen a vast improvement in weight loss when actually drinking the recommended amount of water? I am not doing well, at all, with losing even though I have the carb thing and the craving thing under control....however, I haven't been drinking the water. I would just like to hear from some of you who had a similar experience and found that drinking 64+ ounces of water a day really got the scale moving.
Yesterday I did manage to get down about 30 ounces of water and am really going to put a great effort into increasing the amount every day. This is so much harder than I thought it would be. Every day I find out that something I ate the day before had hidden carbs and boy do they add up! I doubt that I have ever been under 25/day in 3 months of doing this I don't know if I should just give up or maybe try something else. I love this w.o.e. but I am so stressed with not seeing a decent weight loss (I have at least 60 pounds to lose) and stressed about every little thing that I eat
I am worried that I am eating too much....I am worried that I am eating too little....I am worried that I'm not getting enough fat....and I am definitely concerned because I haven't been drinking the water....at all.
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
It's a good question . . . my guess is that most people will say yes, although on this topic I've heard people say no. I am inclined toward drinking more water and, like you. it can be a challenge. Not sure why it is so hard to drink water! I know I have been low on water of late and feel the need to increase.

My view in terms of your weight loss is that you should work on cutting the carbs, especially since you recognize that you are usually close to 25 or more than 20 or fewer. Where might you cut those carbs a bit? You say you usually discover the hidden carbs the day after, but with a bit of planning couldn't you start avoiding them?

Just some thoughts! Folks here can offer tons of help if you care to post some typical daily menus.

Last edited by Patience; 03-26-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FreeFromFat
Stats: 241/228.8/150
WOE: <30 Carbs/day
Start Date: December 2013
Yes!

For *me*, the answer is yes, definitely. Times when I have been successfully losing, drinking TONS of water is a huge part in that. It makes such a difference for me. When I am actively on plan, I drink at least 3 of my "bubba" water cups -- 32 ozs each. One during the morning, one during the afternoon and one at home in the evening. That's a *least*. I am a big liquid drinker anyway, typically only water or water lightly flavored with powdered tea mix (and I do mean lightly flavored).

I do think it can vary by individual though.

FreeFromFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mulberry
WOE: 8 Hour Diet / low carb
Start Date: January 2014
What plan are you on?

Free From Fat - I have a question for you. What diet plan are you on? I notice that your w.o.e. is less than 30 carbs a day. That is where I am....well, I guess closer to 25 but defintely not strictly under 20 !! Are you pleased with your weight loss? I started mid January and have only lost 10 pounds! I am pretty discouraged and that's why I asked the water question.
mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: BobApjok
Stats: 400+/288/200
WOE: Atkins
Just to throw my 2 cents in. In my experience it has not made any difference in weight loss. I tried that hoping that it would because i am in the same boat as you described. i have tried and experimented and quit drinking any pop or anything besides water and was drinking 3 or 4 of my 52 ounce mugs every day for over 3 weeks. during that time i did not lose any weight, so i have kind of ruled out that as a possible cause. Most will probably say yes, but in my experience the answer was a definite no.
BobApjok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FreeFromFat
Stats: 241/228.8/150
WOE: <30 Carbs/day
Start Date: December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulberry View Post
Free From Fat - I have a question for you. What diet plan are you on? I notice that your w.o.e. is less than 30 carbs a day. That is where I am....well, I guess closer to 25 but defintely not strictly under 20 !! Are you pleased with your weight loss? I started mid January and have only lost 10 pounds! I am pretty discouraged and that's why I asked the water question.
Hi! I am not actually on a plan that has a name, lol. If I had to choose a name, it would be closer to CAD/CALP since there are times when I wish to have a bit of potato/beans/brown rice with my dinner. That plan calls for a "reward meal" in which you do include a carb of your choice. My issue with following that plan to the tee is that ANY carb is allowed: chocolate, ice cream, whatever -- and that's just dangerous for *me*.

When I am sticking to it, here is what my day of eating may look like:

B: coffee with half and half; eggs w/??? (salsa, other veggie, just cheese...) and a small meat

L: a protein and a veggie

D: a protein, a veggie and *maybe* a starch; last night I had a very small baked potato, like 3 bites small

I don't trim fat from meat, I eat the crispy chicken skin, I eat lots of butter, I eat full fat mayo and salad dressing. I don't weigh or measure anything either.

When I stick to this, I lose and I am pleased at the rate. My problem is in sticking to it long-term It's not that it's hard for me, it's that I get cocky once I start losing, and I say "oh, I can have this, it's just this little bit"...and the rest is history!

Hope that helps.

theresa
FreeFromFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
For the water question: no, for me it doesn't seem to increase my losses. I drink when I'm thirsty, but don't make it a point to get in a certain amount every day. For your other concerns: you have lost 10 pounds since January. That's actually not too bad. When I am losing, I expect about a pound a week. What would giving up look like to you? Would you try another plan (low fat, low calorie perhaps?), or would you stop trying to lose weight? I'm asking because you will still have challenges if you switch plans. For instance, hidden calories and fat. And you may still be obsessed with every little thing you eat. That doesn't seem to an issue specifically related to low carbing. It sounds like you are still learning which foods are within your plan (that's OK, the whole thing is a learning process, even for those who've been doing it for years). Have you tried reading a few books and educating yourself further on label-reading, etc.? You may be someone who loses a little slowly, but steadily. Not a bad thing in my book.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: afurrything
Stats: 240/177/135 5'3"
Start Date: October 2010
I've been reading up on this lately and have seen a couple articles saying that all drinking a bunch of water does is send you to the bathroom more often, that your body gets rid of the water so fast it isn't any benefit. They say to eat more water rich foods.
And of course in looking this morning I can't find any links I wish I could remember where I read that.
afurrything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
I don't think the amount of water I drink makes the scale move faster or slower, as long as I don't get dehydrated.

BUT, drinking water is really helping me: 1. Not be constipated, and 2. Not have bad "keto" breath or body odor.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyinlove56
Stats: Alittle to much for this short gal
WOE: No sugar or flour/LC my way
Start Date: Feb 17, 2014
I think water is very important for weight loss but I am not one of those big water people...I drink lots of ice tea and flavored water all day and that seems to work for me....I drink just plain water when we go out for a meal....that is a little goal for me...
ladyinlove56 is offline   Reply With Quote