Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Lettuce

So, since everyone is so open here, I want to ask about lettuce. I am craving it bad lately.. like I have been wanting to eat more than usual of the iceberg which is low carb, but just wondering if anyone eats a ton of lettuce/

I think today, I had a half a head... at least it was lettuce! but, should I be cutting it up and maybe measuring it out or is that really extreme?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

It actually helps me if Iincrease greens to reduce my protein ( which is a small goal right now) mentioned in earlier posts. thanks.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Everyone will have something different to say about this, of course. But for me, I don't worry about lettuce at all. I love salads, good thing too, on this woe, and have as much lettuce as I want. Have for over a year in which I've lost 45 pounds on LC.

The bigger concern is what you're putting on it. Check the amt. of sugars in the dressing you are using, or better yet, make your own w/no sugars, and be sure to toss very well. When you pour and eat you tend to use more dressing than you need. Pour a bit and toss, taste and see if it's enough, and if not, add a bit more. You'll be surprised how little you need when you toss well.

I realize that dressings like ranch and vinegarettes generally have very little carbs, but they do add up in calories. Not that calories are the biggest issue---although they may become a bigger issue as you get closer to goal--- but why eat more than you need?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: e&m'smom
Stats: 255/196/170? 5'10"
WOE: LC/MF
Start Date: 2/2/2014
What a great thing to crave ! an entire head has only about 5 1/2 carbs after subtracting out the fiber so I say if you are hungry, go for it.
I've also been on a lettuce kick (after my kids made fun of me for eating broccoli at every meal) - I found some miniature romaine heads at Costco, they are perfect little vessels for tacos fixings or egg salad and they have the most amazing crunch i've been missing.
e&m'smom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/174/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by e&m'smom View Post
What a great thing to crave ! an entire head has only about 5 1/2 carbs after subtracting out the fiber so I say if you are hungry, go for it.
I've also been on a lettuce kick (after my kids made fun of me for eating broccoli at every meal) - I found some miniature romaine heads at Costco, they are perfect little vessels for tacos fixings or egg salad and they have the most amazing crunch i've been missing.
I agree e&m---not to worry about the lettuce, imo. Also, if you like romaine leaves w/stuffings you might try endive leaves sometime. They are smaller but crispy and have a great taste. Perfect for filling w/a cream cheese mix or tuna salad or whatever. Very nice to make appetizers w/if you have to bring one to a party, or want to serve a LC appetizer when entertaining.
Blue Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Perfect! Thanks for the thoughts ladies. I agree... what a nice thing to crave, right? luckily, I dont use ranch or vinagerette dressing, just a bit of lemon juice and olive oil ( maybe)... sometimes I will try a fat free low carb vinagrette but not too often.

I think I will try new greens, maybe romaine, or red leaf... something to spice it up. I did have some spinach as well. I also was addicted to broccoli

Thanks again. Feels nice to have support.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
My mom says when she was pregnant with me, she craved iceberg lettuce and ate 2 heads a day. (Anything you want to tell us, Peace? )
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I am a fan of salads, so I eat plenty of them! I eat a big salad every day.
However, I would choose any kind of leaf over iceberg lettuce. I find it tasteless and as far as nutrition goes, there are plenty of other types that add more flavour and vitamins...

I love dressing my salad with plenty of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, a bit of dijon mustard and a bit of mayo and seasalt. I usually make a batch of my dressing/vinaigrette for the week, so I always have some at hand.
I then add some protein, like leftovers from dinner the night before, hardboiled eggs, tuna in olive oil, sardines, bacon, steamed salmon, the world is your oyster! (ooh, oysters... now there's an idea! Just not with the salad, LOL)

I keep my carbs below 20 and the big salad every day fits in with that number. Go ahead, enjoy your salad!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:45 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I am a fan of salads, so I eat plenty of them! I eat a big salad every day.
However, I would choose any kind of leaf over iceberg lettuce. I find it tasteless and as far as nutrition goes, there are plenty of other types that add more flavour and vitamins...

I love dressing my salad with plenty of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, a bit of dijon mustard and a bit of mayo and seasalt. I usually make a batch of my dressing/vinaigrette for the week, so I always have some at hand.
I then add some protein, like leftovers from dinner the night before, hardboiled eggs, tuna in olive oil, sardines, bacon, steamed salmon, the world is your oyster! (ooh, oysters... now there's an idea! Just not with the salad, LOL)

I keep my carbs below 20 and the big salad every day fits in with that number. Go ahead, enjoy your salad!
I agree 100% with Mimosa about iceburg. I love Butter lettuce and I eat 6 oz a day (4 carbs and 20 kcals total) I don't know net carbs since I'm doing A '72. I think the problem with salads for most people is what they PUT ON them...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/197/200
WOE: Atkins (DANDR 2002)
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Been faithful in having 2 cups of lettuce (Taylor Farms - Hearts of Romain Lettuce from Sams Club) every evening with hot olive or coconut oil dripped over and so far so good.

Last edited by kay9; 03-26-2014 at 06:57 AM..
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
If your body is telling you it's craving lettuce, listen to it! I mean, sweet potatoes would be one thing; but I'd allow lettuce with gusto. So many ways to dress it up, too. Enjoy, because that is an awesome thing to crave. I love salads.
SugarFreeSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I am always fascinated by the notion that a 'craving' means out body is trying to 'tell' us of its need. Seriously? If that were true, I'd 'need' a lot of ice cream and cake.

Yes, my body signals thirst when I need hydration and hunger when it needs food for energy, but it doesn't distinguish between lettuce and chocolate. Specific "cravings' are IMO entirely in our minds.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I am always fascinated by the notion that a 'craving' means out body is trying to 'tell' us of its need. Seriously? If that were true, I'd 'need' a lot of ice cream and cake.

Yes, my body signals thirst when I need hydration and hunger when it needs food for energy, but it doesn't distinguish between lettuce and chocolate. Specific "cravings' are IMO entirely in our minds.
Interesting thoughts Leo.
I see sugar cravings as different.
Craving sugar is more like craving a drug.

Sometimes I start having a hankering for something different when I am eating very low carb……something with a different texture or crunch.
I would not call it a craving, it is more like boredom with eggs, meat, butter, cream etc.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:

I think there are different varieties of craving. You can crave certains foods for comfort, certain foods for nutrition, and certain foods for texture, etc. So yes, I think your body can tell you if it has a nutritional need. I sometimes crave a fresh salad or red meat. I don't want comfort from them, but something else.

As for lettuce, I say go ahead and don't worry about it unless there's a good reason (very excessive amounts, weight gain, etc.). And why not dress it in ranch or blue cheese? You're not going to pour on a whole bottle, and it's a perfectly great way to dress a salad. I regularly eat large salads and have never worried.
144 by October 28 -- reached October 31
140 by November 25 -- reached December 6
136 by December 30 -- reached January 12
132 by January 27
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for everyone. I do not eat dairy or I would do the BC/ranch

I am NOT pregnant...lol. I am still single as ever working on building self-confidence to get out there and DATE for heavens sake..

Sheila- Can you share how you lose the 20 lbs? I am curious how to lose the last 5 to get me back to 110
Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

and...GO TEAM LETTUCE!!!!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I eat lettuce just about every day.... I don't know what else I'd eat if I didn't, mostly because it's easy to prepare and I need to bring my lunch to work.

I need to try some of these dressing recipes. Thanks!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Quote:

I don't agree entirely - I do think a fair number of cravings are in our heads,but when I'm craving things like sardines, seaweed, or avocados to the point of being woken out of a sound sleep and being able to eat massive quantities of them without them ever tasting like the best thing on earth? For months on end? Or wanting odd things like certain organs or a particular berry? That's micronutrient needs talking, not psychosomatic cravings or emotional eating. Especially when those foods are not normal ones I might enjoy.

Last edited by Arctic_Mama; 03-26-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SiaMia
I dont even count or worry about greens like lettuce or baby spinach, unless Im eating a huge amount or something
SiaMia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Well, as far as cravings go, you picked a good one. Lettuce! lol I wish I'd crave lettuce! I remember Richard Simmons once said, "every piece of lettuce does not need dressing." Does too!!! . I think you're good!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I guess I've just remained well nourished and not experienced 'micronutrient needs' because my 'cravings' have only been to satisfy my sweet tooth--entirely based in my psyche.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/134/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
I'm so glad I don't get tired of lettuce. I used to eat it periodically and then would get sick of it for a while. These days, I'm really enjoying salads just about every day.
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moondogii
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2014
What do you guys put in the salad to keep it low carb?...I'm still pretty new to this..I'd like to thank you all for all your help and knowledge with this to help others like me

Dawn
moondogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondogii View Post
What do you guys put in the salad to keep it low carb?...I'm still pretty new to this..I'd like to thank you all for all your help and knowledge with this to help others like me

Dawn
For lunch today I had:

Big handful of Romaine (maybe 2 cups?)
1/4 cup red pepper
1/4 cup cucumber
1/4 of a small tomato
1 large radish
2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese

Mixed up with my homemade vinaigrette dressing that I make from a "copycat" recipe for Good Seasons dressing mix.

For my protein I had two chicken thighs leftover from dinner last night.

Yum!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I guess I've just remained well nourished and not experienced 'micronutrient needs' because my 'cravings' have only been to satisfy my sweet tooth--entirely based in my psyche.
Haha! Probably a good idea. I'm definitely not ranking my chocolate cravings on the same level, and these cravings popped up for my during pregnancy and nursing, and here after a very stringent weight loss cycle. Popcorn twinges whenever a Lord of the a Rings movie comes on aren't quite the same thing
Old 03-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Dawn
Well I'm eating a salad right now, along with a tin of smoked oysters (which are quite carby, for a meat. Don't overdo it ).

My salad has:
4-ish cups of butter lettuce
1/4 cup chopped roasted red bell pepper
Cilantro sprigs
1/4 oz chopped marinated artichoke
1/4 oz grated sharp cheddar
7 garlic stuffed green olives
1 green onion, chopped
1 tbs each red wine vinegar, olive oil
Salt, pepper, and Italian seasons to taste

Very filling, very minimal on the carb count, extremely flavorful.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MrsBettyDraper
Stats: 198/189.6/145 5'4"
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: March 15, 2013
I do really well with lettuce on LC. The crunch is satisfying and it doesn't stall my weight loss at all. In fact the plan I'm on, Lindora Lean for Life requires two cups for lunch and two cups for dinner!
MrsBettyDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: moondogii
WOE: LC
Start Date: Jan 2014
Thank You Ladies...
moondogii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:

Dawn
I make my own Simple No Carb Garlic Vinaigrette (by the quart):

In a quart jar add:

1 c. good red wine vinegar (not balsamic)
1 T. Dijon mustard
2 t. salt
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
Shake well; then add:
3 c. oil (I don't use olive oil -- I find it too over powering)
Shake well before using.

I don't add the garlic until I'm ready to eat the salad (garlic turns nasty tasting if you add it to the vinaigrette). In the bottom of your salad, add freshly crushed garlic (1 average size clove or more depending on your taste) for every 4 T. of vinaigrette. Add your salad materials and toss -- then I add a dash of freshly ground black pepper.

I actually put my salad in a bowl with a lid and shake it -- way easier than tossing.

I have a small bottle I take with me when I eat out so that I have my own dressing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JudyJo
Stats: 247/239/145
WOE: low carb all the way!
Start Date: January 15, 2014
One of my favorite ways of eating lettuce is to take one leaf, slather a tablespoon of miracle whip (my preference) and stuff it with fried bacon!

Yum!
JudyJo is offline   Reply With Quote