Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyJo View Post
One of my favorite ways of eating lettuce is to take one leaf, slather a tablespoon of miracle whip (my preference) and stuff it with fried bacon!

Yum!
Yummy, JudyJo! I used to do a version of this with mustard and called it a no carb BLT minus the tomato (and of course, the deadly bread)!!

Hey JudyJo have you thought of using real mayo instead of miracle whip? Zero carbs vs. 2 carbs per T.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a diet,
It’s my salvation, my key to being
Healthy, happy and thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
My favorite lettuce was always iceberg even though people told me it was a waste of carbs because there was no nutrition in it. Well, some days I don't care, I just want that 'crunch'. I usually just cut a wedge (1/4 of the head), sprinkle some bacon crumbles and chopped hard boiled egg on it and then drizzle with 2 Tbs of homemade blue cheese dressing (and maybe a sprinkle of blue cheese crumbles).

Normally I try to do baby spring greens or romaine and I do the same thing with the bacon, egg and dressing. In either case, I weigh out the lettuce because my carb allotment is so low (10gm at a meal) and I don't add other vegies to it because they add up too fast...since I'll usually use about 6 oz of greens/lettuce.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Willgirl
Stats: 330/248/195
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: January 2014
Lettuce is probably the lowest guilt veg carb there is...you have to eat a lot of it to have too much! I was just thinking I need to have more salad...I just ordered a low carb Asian dressing by Walden farms...i am hoping it is good because I Asian dressings are by far my favourite out of the jar dressings.
Willgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
I never count my lettuce towards my carb count for the day. Even if I eat a head of lettuce which I haven't yet it still doesn't make much difference. I say eat all the lettuce you want!

I love Linda Sue's Taco Skillet in romaine leaves Mmmmm! Or I'll do chicken salad in lettuce leaves or chopped up rotisserie chicken and buffalo wing sauce....dang I'm hungry LOL!

Oh and in regards to cravings...I think there are definitely different kinds. I don't think when I crave a doughnut that my body needs some nutrient from that but when I was pregnant my Doctor asked me at every visit if I had any cravings. At first I had really strong cravings for chocolate ice cream...I have never in my life liked chocolate ice cream. Even as a kid I'd rather have nothing then eat chocolate ice cream, but I couldn't get enough of it for weeks. A calcium supplement stopped that. Then I was craving fat juicy steaks...sure enough my iron levels were low! So sometimes your body is telling you something and sometimes it's just messing with you haha

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

cheeky1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Thanks everyone! Today I enjoyed my lettuce hope you all had a nice low carb day as well.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Partyof7
Stats: 46 pounds down, 102 more to lose.
WOE: JUDD induc.UD 4/10/14 LC'ish, Calorie awareness
Start Date: March 16th 2014
I love lettuce!
I have to tell a weird pregnancy craving I had. I was at the butcher and there was this red meat there. My mouth started to salivate - I just HAD to have it. It was beef liver! I took it home and fried it up and it was an insatiable craving.
Until I had about half of it and that was enough - dumped all of it out and never wanted it again..Though it was really very good.

That was child #4, never had it that strong with any other!
Partyof7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #37
I'm here to help!

Gallery: SugarFreeSheila
Stats: 141 to 110
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Thanks for everyone. I do not eat dairy or I would do the BC/ranch

I am NOT pregnant...lol. I am still single as ever working on building self-confidence to get out there and DATE for heavens sake..

Sheila- Can you share how you lose the 20 lbs? I am curious how to lose the last 5 to get me back to 110
Hello! I lost 30 pounds via Atkins over the period of summer to early winter 2001, going all the way to my ideal-weight goal, and I've been maintaining that consistently since. The specific text in question that I followed was Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, 2001 edition.
SugarFreeSheila is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sheila! Just curious how old you are? People comment that age is a factor in losing weight but I am not so sure I totally believe it
Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 69yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
I just do not hardly eat vegetables at all and I am going to try now starting with lettace and the stuff you put on. Going to try some of the dressings here. Thanks.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Quote:
Originally Posted by moondogii View Post
What do you guys put in the salad to keep it low carb?...I'm still pretty new to this..I'd like to thank you all for all your help and knowledge with this to help others like me

Dawn
To be fair let me answer the original post first. My hubby and I loosely count lettuce. One big handful is 1 carb according to how we count it.

Dawn:

BBQ Chicken Salad

Chicken
1/2 cup cucumber peeled and diced
Shredded lettuce
1/2 oz shredded cheese
BBQ sauce

Tuna Salad

Tuna mixed with mayo
1 oz. provolone cheese shredded
1 HB egg chopped
Shredded Lettuce

BLT Salad

1/2 chopped tomato
5 strips of bacon cooked and diced
Shredded lettuce
Mayo to taste

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:32 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme View Post
To be fair let me answer the original post first. My hubby and I loosely count lettuce. One big handful is 1 carb according to how we count it.

Dawn:

BBQ Chicken Salad

Chicken
Shredded lettuce
1/2 oz shredded cheese
BBQ sauce

Tuna Salad

Tuna mixed with mayo
1 oz. provolone cheese shredded
1 HB egg chopped
Shredded Lettuce

BLT Salad

1/2 chopped tomato
5 strips of bacon cooked and diced
Shredded lettuce
Mayo to taste

Mindy
I'm putting in my two-cents worth:
I wouldn't "eye-ball" it -- I wouldn't eye ball anything I eat. Get a scale and weight it, it's more accurate and then there are no "guesses". I eat a 6 oz salad a day (I love bag o' salads) and it's only 4 carb grams (net carbs? I have no idea since I am successfully doing A '72).

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Jo= you brought up a good point about not eye-balling. I am not a fan of guessing, so I think this makes sense.

I seem to do better with structure in EVERYTHING. That being said, I keep guessing about my salt intake... I know there are threads on here about it, but I wonder why I keep going back to thinking that I "should" not have it. I guess if I want to take the guessing out, I could eliminate it and see how I do, right? same with oils... sometimes, I get nervous that I am overdoing it, but when in DOUBT, DONT.

Thanks for the reminder about the guessing. I also think that nuts cause me to have some weight gain or issues in general. So, no more guessing, just eliminate them all together. I like this simple way of looking at things.

Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:51 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Jo= you brought up a good point about not eye-balling. I am not a fan of guessing, so I think this makes sense.

I seem to do better with structure in EVERYTHING. That being said, I keep guessing about my salt intake... I know there are threads on here about it, but I wonder why I keep going back to thinking that I "should" not have it. I guess if I want to take the guessing out, I could eliminate it and see how I do, right? same with oils... sometimes, I get nervous that I am overdoing it, but when in DOUBT, DONT.

Thanks for the reminder about the guessing. I also think that nuts cause me to have some weight gain or issues in general. So, no more guessing, just eliminate them all together. I like this simple way of looking at things.

Thanks again.

Hey Peace,

Yep, I do way better with structure and organization too. The main reason I weigh and measure everything is that one day very soon I will start maintaining part of this WOE journey and I need to know how many kcals and carbs I can eat each day so that I won't gain/lose weight. Once I get that... I will be on cloud NINE. Because for me losing is the easy part -- keeping it off has never EVER been successful -- but not this time!!!!

About the salt, I had to cut back on my guilty pleasure of pork rinds to several times a week because of the salt. I gained 3 lbs last week because of them -- I was eating them every single day. Since I have no self-control and portion control is a HUGE problem for me, I will have my BF weigh out a 1-1.5 oz portion for me several times a week and hide the rest. Sounds ludicrous, but if he doesn't --I'll eat them all up. It's either that or not buy them at all. I know my weaknesses...

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Jo- Totally get it! Nice to know I am not alone on the structure issue. I think it is wonderful that your BF does this for you. DO whatever it takes to stay on plan. Totally agree.

Yep- forget nuts, they are not a good thing for me, in general. plus, they make my teeth hurt

I am learning that planning is the best way for me to prepare- despite I never eat many carbs as the SAD, I will fall off track if I don't watch things. I seem to do best with focusing on just keeping carbs under 20.

Oh! and... SF gum and anything SF seems to make me feel awful and stall. So, at least I know now. I never thought SF gum would do this, but now that I eliminated it in the past week, I feel better... despite my withdrawal.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
I'm putting in my two-cents worth:
I wouldn't "eye-ball" it -- I wouldn't eye ball anything I eat. Get a scale and weight it, it's more accurate and then there are no "guesses".
[/I][/center]
I am a structure person, too, but no longer weigh or count anything except for nuts (I weight a 1 oz. portion for my daily snacks). I am still on track and losing, and my life is easier this way. After a while some people stop weighing and counting if it works for them and they don't start gaining, etc. That's why I love this woe!
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Hi Mimi

Thanks so much for your thoughts and insight. I think for me, I tend to just enjoy analyzing my macro's Who knows if it is really about the weight loss, or just because it is a habit after so many years.

I do agree though that after a while, it becomes second nature to just "know" what works.

Typically, my counting starts when I am under stress... must be my way of "controlling" things lol.

I am what I am, and will just go with it.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:07 AM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Peace -- Planning my meals a head of time has been a blessing this time around. I don't have to hunt through the frig when I'm hungry and make very poor food choices. I know about a week in advance what I am going to eat because I'm a planner and I don't WANNA GO HUNGRY which = poor food choices (those evil carbs).

mini -- Right now, I have no issue with the measure/weigh everything. I'm a control freak so it works for me. Don't know if I'll do it forever... And I agree with you, I too love this WOE, you can make it work for your needs and be successful. My goal now is to keep working it and be one of the success stories in here that says "Yep been doing this LC WOE for x number of years and kept it off!"

Wishing ALL of US continued SUCCESS on our LC WOE journey!!!

“This WOE is not a diet,
Old 04-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Here in California, lettuce is IN the farmer's markets. Wonderful, fresh, small heads sometimes with the roots still attached. It tastes SO much better than the bagged or old stuff at the supermarket. It's not cheap, but oh, so good. I sprinkle on some lemon infused olive oil and salt and pepper and have at it. Even better with some fresh farmers market radishes and big pieces of avocado. YUM! Spring on a plate.

Maybe you're craving spring?
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote