Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Low Carb Pita Bread (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/826534-low-carb-pita-bread.html)

athomemomto6 03-25-2014 06:20 PM

Low Carb Pita Bread

Has anyone tried Joseph's Flaz Oat Bran & whole wheat pita bread, my husband found it at walmart and it only has 8 carbs minus 4 fiber + 4 countable carbs.

Catzmom 03-25-2014 06:34 PM

I use it quite often, I really like it. And for that 4 carbs, you get the whole pita, not just half!

TheBigKahuna 03-25-2014 09:03 PM

Nope, but I will be looking for it now!

paynts 03-26-2014 12:32 AM

Love them-use only 1/2 at a time so a real carb saving item for me. You can stuff a lot into half of a pita when you put your mind to it.

Beeb 03-27-2014 07:46 PM

Joseph's has several great LC products: Mini pitas, tortillas, lasash bread wraps and large pitas. Have been using these for years for making nacho chips and regular crackers, too! :)

pjt 03-28-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paynts (Post 16850978)
You can stuff a lot into half of a pita when you put your mind to it.

LOL - this just cracked me up!

TheBigKahuna 03-30-2014 06:02 PM

Gonna go tomorrow and try to find these Joseph's pitas. Looks like an excellent way to get back to the convenience of sandwiches for lunch. Looking forward to making some reubens too!

Wife says she's bought Joseph's branded products at BJs wholesale club before. Will try there and Walmart.

TheBigKahuna 03-31-2014 07:21 PM

Went to Wallyworld but did not find Joseph's. Online wasn't much help, as they don't inventory their grocery items, it just says "likely available".

penguinpower 03-31-2014 07:34 PM

Our Walmart has the Joseph's on the bottom shelf of the breads in the bakery section - not in the regular grocery bread row. Hope this helps!

athomemomto6 03-31-2014 08:37 PM

At our wal-mart they are up where you get the deli meat freshly sliced. There is a shelf right in front of deli case with lots of different wraps and buns etc.

TheBigKahuna 04-01-2014 09:25 AM

Yep, this particular WM has the breads all in the bakery section. There is no separate bread aisle. I looked all over. They had a shelf dedicated to tortillas, and I found sandwich pita, etc. But they had nothing by Joseph's in there. We have dozens of WMs to choose from. I'll try another today.

The Mission tortilla wraps do ok for "sandwiches" but I'm thinking a big New Orleans style muffaletta sounds good on a low-carb pita!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kybT5layt2A/S1...0/IMG_7429.JPG

lterry913 04-01-2014 12:15 PM

I have used these and they cause me no issues...I try not to eat wheat products but when I do it is usually one of these.

TheBigKahuna 04-01-2014 12:16 PM

Two WalMarts down, still no Joseph's products. Will try BJs or another grocer now.

TheBigKahuna 04-01-2014 04:51 PM

Oh well, according to Joseph's website, no store within 50 miles of here carries their products.

Karblee 04-01-2014 04:52 PM

TheBigKahuna: I went to 5 Walmarts in my area looking for these and not one of them had them. I googled Joseph's pita and went on their website. I used their store locater and it listed all the Walmarts in my area that carry them! Should have done that from the start... Hope that helps!

Karblee 04-01-2014 04:54 PM

Darn it, just saw your post! Netrition also carries them if you don't mind paying for shipping.

daisymae 04-02-2014 09:59 AM

My Walmart here in Dallas has Joseph's Lavash Bread in the Deli Section. It's usually stacked right in front of the meat/cheese area.

I cut it up into "cracker size" pieces, spread a little melted butter on them and microwave them until they become "crackers" !

TheBigKahuna 04-03-2014 01:08 PM

Turns out that BJ's Wholesale Club has them...although not listed as a distributor on the Jospeh's website. Can't wait to try them!

Need to go buy some corned beef, pastrami, provologne, olive salad now!

athomemomto6 04-03-2014 03:54 PM

Walmart was out...and I was getting worried because I used the last big rectangle flat bread last night for a pizza...Thankfully my husband went to another Walmart on the other side of town and they had some, he bought more of the flat bread and the pitas....My stash is replenished.

Cali girl 04-03-2014 04:11 PM

How do you make pizza out of them? Do you bake them first in the oven?
How long do you leave them in for pizza, crackers, chips for nachos?
I've only used them for cheeseburgers and sandwiches.

athomemomto6 04-04-2014 07:54 AM

I either put them in the over on about 350 to 400 until they get crisp, or the other day I actually put it on my griddle and browned each side. Then put topping on and stick in oven again. I will say it does loose its crispness once sauce and topping are on, but it is still extremely delicious to me. My fav is light pizza sauce, spinach, chicken or ground turkey, cheese and sliced tomatoes on top. Oh and sometimes mushrooms. This is made on the big rectangle one. Last night my husband cut open one of the pitas and put mushrooms, spinach and peperoni little sauce and cheese and browned each side on skillet to make more of a closed pizza thing.

Cali girl 04-04-2014 01:42 PM

Thanks At home mom! That sounds good with the spinach and chicken.
I love that your husband cooks for himself. I do all the cooking and I'm
Not very good at it. I guess because I don't like to cook. I did cook a lot
When the kids were home, now just DH and I.

TheBigKahuna 04-04-2014 05:35 PM

I got to try the Joseph's pitas last night. I was a little disappointed in how thin they were. When I cut it in half, and opened it to stuff it with sandwich toppings, it ripped apart. It's almost too thin to stuff with anything. In the end, I still managed to eat my New Orleans style muffaletta, but think the Mission low-carb tortillas are easier to use. I really like using the Mission tortillas as pizza crusts, or making sandwich wraps out of them.

athomemomto6 04-04-2014 08:26 PM

They really are fragile, it can be extremely tricky getting stuff in and not ripping it.

sk8termom 04-04-2014 08:30 PM

TheBigKahuna - can you share your muffaletta recipe, please??? That looks fantastic :)

TheBigKahuna 04-04-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sk8termom (Post 16863540)
TheBigKahuna - can you share your muffaletta recipe, please??? That looks fantastic :)

There's a lot of ways to make one. I don't follow any set recipe, I just make a thick sandwich using favorite sliced meats, provolone cheese, spicy mustard, mayo, and salad olives or actual olive salad. I didn't have olive salad last night, and just used "salad olives" which are basically just chopped up olives.

Usually the list of meats includes ham, salami, etc. I had some real ones in New Orleans, and we've made some decent imitations at home. The olive salad is the key ingredient, and then add plenty of your favorite meats!