Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Control protein amounts? Or not!

I am having a bit of a struggle reducing protein amounts. But... Maybe my body needs it? I worked out with weights one hour this am. 1 grill check tender for breakfast with tiny bit if broccoli- 9 am.

1- lettuce, broc, grill chick breast and 1-2 I of salmon. However, my stomach was ok and I felt a little stuffed but not bad. It just feels like I am overeating on protein since I came back from vacation and not sure how to reduce it.

Am I only one who deals with this or I wonder if I need to let it go and just eat it if I am hungry? At least it is not carbs, right?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
ss1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ss1
Stats: 160/137/130-125
Start Date: september 2012
Im in the same boat. Im trying to follow a low carb moderate protein high fat plan. I have the same thing for breakfast everyday because thats just what I like but its very easy to go over on protein. I have to have veggies and no meat for lunch to accomplish this since my fam has so much meat for dinner every night. If your lifting you may need a bit more but not much. I have come to understand that too much protein can cause insulin to rise, so i keep protein moderate.
ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
What plan are you on? Different plans have different protein limits.
How many grams of protein are you eating throughout the whole day?
Are you tracking all protein grams from all sources?

If you think protein is too high, substitute protein for fat.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

My plan is combo of Atkins- ketosis. Basically, clean eating and keep carbs under 20. I think I just need to reduce protein if I feel uncomfortable which I have the last few meals . I am lifting but no reason to be a pig for heavens sake. Lol

I also think that I might need to so more cardio... Weird. Since I have returned I feel sad eating just lettuce and protein but I was totally fine with it for ten days. However I was walking everywhere and my mind was not on food.

Guess I need to make some adjustments.

Glad I am not the only one who deals with protein issue. I will have a light dinner with a small amount if protein. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
As a fan of ProteinPower, I think the focus on limiting protein on this board is misguided. Yes, I agree that people should not eat 'excess' protein, but when that happens I suspect they are just eating too much food in general. Just because it's 'low carb,' doesn't mean we can eat everything that's not nailed down.

For my size, my protein requirements are between 65g and 80g, and I've read that 'senior' women (I'm 72) should aim for the higher number. Frankly, I have difficulty even getting to 65g most days, so the issue of 'limiting protein' is never one I have to deal with. I limit carbs and plan my meals to insure that I get sufficient protein.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:35 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Leo - that's pretty much in line with my limit as I try to get into nutritional ketosis - right now I'm at 20% protein which comes to 70 grams.

I could easily eat more and had to cut out some protein over the past week. But, it's definitely a YMMV and that's why I do think people should pick a plan and stick with it until they're confident.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I'm not sure what advantage there would be to lowering your protein macro unless you have kidney disease or are a diabetic. I'm generally around 60-63gm of protein (diabetic) which works well for me. Bernstein suggests 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of ideal weight for diabetics but I've found I do better at 1gm.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spaceace
A reason to limit protein

I want to start by saying that I don't think that limiting protein is for everyone, but it definitely is an issue for me. Here is a very quick look at why...

Many people do not know that protein causes an insulin response. It is not nearly the same response as one created by carbohydrate consumption, but it is there. It is a good thing that this happens, too, because we need insulin to shuttle amino acids into our cells for use. Without it, if we ate all meat for a day none of the building blocks for growth and repair could get where they need to go. For populations that eat nothing but meat (as in the extreme Northern latitudes) it is the insulin response of protein that is needed to survive. Insulin isn't all bad, and this is one good thing that it does - when it is in check.

The problem is that some people cannot lose weight or enjoy other benefits of insulin reduction if they eat more than a specific level of protein. Their insulin simply goes too high and they do not benefit. This is why many people give advice on these boards to "up your fat." When we choose fattier pieces of meat, we are also commonly choosing less protein within that piece of meat. Also, the fattier pieces of meat make us feel full quicker, leading to less protein consumption.

That's a look at why limiting protein is a good idea for some people. But if someone enjoys the benefits of the LC lifestyle without having to do so, I really would not worry about it.

All IMHO and value all others' as well!
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the feedback. I agree that too much protein is not good and definitely is what kept my weight on for some time. Looking back at my journal, I reduced my protein on vacation... just so it was "typical" and under 80. I think I am overdoing it.. just based on how I feel.

That being said, I was better this evening and just had some greens, and eggwhites. So, perhaps this will be the ticket for my weight loss. Reduce protein to keep under 80.

I might have to increase fat though for the calories.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Debleg
Is your idea 80 gms protein per day?

I think I need to reduce my amount of protein but not sure how low to go. Please advise
Debleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debleg View Post
I think I need to reduce my amount of protein but not sure how low to go. Please advise
Deb,
Answers will vary. For diabetics, Dr. Bernstein recommends 1-1.5gm of protein per kilo of *ideal* weight as excess protein can cause higher BG's in diabetics. So, at 1gm, I'm around 60-63gm of protein for the day. I know non-diabetics here who are as high as 130gm per day.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/210/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
i control my protein by portion control. Instead of the old me having 6 eggs and 3 huge country stype boneless spare ribs for a meal i now have half a spare rib an 2 eggs (in addition to olive or coconut oil) and very full and satisfied.

Last edited by kay9; 04-01-2014 at 08:52 AM..
kay9 is online now   Reply With Quote